A knock on the door brought Logan slowly to his feet. Everyone else was at lunch so he would have to get the door. Usually he just let some over-excited kid race to the door to open to whatever stranger might be on the other side. It always amazed him at the lack of fear in most of the students here. What also amazed him was that someone was calling on them today. They were not expecting anyone so that meant one of two things: a new student or trouble. Occasionally the two went hand in hand but Ororo was trying to get him to become more optimistic. He told her that he was optimistic about being a pessimist for the rest of his life.

When he finally opened the door he got quite a shock. Before him stood an older man and a young girl, both of African descent. The man had a scar on the side of his face that severally mutilated his features. Logan placed it as a burn though it was a strange shape, only touching half of his face and did not extend beneath the jaw. The girl was a bout fourteen and her hair was cut short to bring out her exquisite cheek bones and eyes.

“Can I help you?” Logan slumped against the doorframe. No matter how long he had been ‘civilized’, intimidation always seemed to get the job done.

“I came to speak with Ororo Munroe.” His speech was highly accented. Logan merely shrugged.

“She’s servin’ lunch right now. What do you need from her?”

“I must speak to her. She does not know me but I am a friend of an old friend of hers from Africa.” Logan frowned. Ororo never talked about her home or that part of her past.

“Logan, who is it?” Storm rounded the corner, trying her hands with a towel. She smiled at the guests and with a wave welcomed them. “Come in. We haven’t managed to teach Logan any manners.”

“They wanted to speak to you,” he grunted, ignoring her jab. “Say they know some friends of yours from Africa.” He saw her eyes darken for a moment, but she guided the two off the doorstep with a smile.

“What may I help you with?”

“My name is Kuhio Da and this Iqadi Erevu. I believe you knew her father, Malaka Erevu?” This rendered Ororo speechless for a moment, so Kuhio continued. “Iqadi is a mutant, as am I. She can control water, but has been having trouble keeping control of her…emotions.”

“And you?” asked Wolverine.

“I am a lie detector. And I have the ability to…fabricate the truth.”

“A professional liar.”

“Logan,” scolded Ororo. “You said Malaka is your father?”

“Yes, ma’am.” Iqadi’s English was not near as matured at Kuhio’s was. “But he left about a month ago.”

“Left?” asked Ororo, confused. When the girl looked at her feet, she turned her attention back to Kuhio.

“Perhaps we can discuss this elsewhere?” Kuhio looked at Iqadi nervously, his hand stroking the tie he wore with his suit.

“Of course. Logan, if you could please go cancel my afternoon classes, I would appreciate it.”

“Humph.” Logan glared once more at Kuhio before turning away.

“This way to my office.” She led them quietly through the hallways. Iqadi had said nothing besides when asked a direct question and her silence worried Ororo. Kuhio on the other hand was highly confident and she knew that he came off a bit arrogant to Wolverine. It made her smile to think he now had competition for being the alpha male around here.

“Malaka had a hard time dealing with the death of his wife earlier this year,” started Kuhio, once they were seated in her office. The same one Professor Xavier had used earlier. “Iqadi’s…gift was difficult for him to handle. He brought her to me, telling me about the only other mutant he had ever known- you. I had some friends locate you and when I found out that you worked at a school for mutants I was overjoyed.” Even with his accent, Kuhio’s English was precise and proper.

“I would be happy to help,” said Storm smiling. Underneath though, she was still confused. The Malaka she knew would have never abandoned his daughter- not after his childhood as an orphan. “Will you be staying here as well?”

“For a while, if that is alright with you. I don’t want to leave her here alone. I am all she has left.” Ororo nodded walking over to them.

“I’ll get you both a room.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“You don’t trust him do you?” Rogue brushed a strand of silver hair from her face as she took a seat next to Logan on a bench in the gardens.

“Why would I? He’s a mutant who lies for a living. I can’t believe Ro’s buyin’ this crap.” Rogue shrugged, swinging her legs and staring intently at a rose bush. “What’s wrong kiddo?”

“You seem different lately.”

“I told you. What happened at Alcatraz ain’t gonna affect me being there for you.” She rolled her eyes.

“Actually, that’s not what I meant. This ain’t the ‘I’m so depressed’ different. It’s more lika ‘I’ve actually gotta life’ difference.” Wolverine lit a cigar, completely perplexed by what she just said. “You know you’re not supposed to smoke that at school.” He rolled his eyes and put it out.

“Is that all you wanted? To give me a lecture about what a good boy I’ve been,” he smirked. Rogue shook her head.

“She brings out the best in you, ya know?” Logan stared at her dumbfounded for a moment.

“Yeah? And what makes you say that?”

“You’ve stayed here for more than three months now. You actually seem to care about the students here and you’ve laid off on trying to scare the hell outa Bobby.”

“I’ve always cared. And what would you do without me if I left,” he joked. “Oh, and we need to have a talk about that boyfriend of yours. Boys only have one thing on their minds-”

“Logan! Shut up! Be serious,” she placed a hand on his knee. “You know it would make Jean happy to know that the two people she cared about the most were happy.” With that Rogue got up and left the Wolverine to his thoughts.





You must login () to review.