Ororo watched from her window as Hank McCoy and Iqadi walked to a fountain in the gardens. The Beast had offered to work with the young girl first since Storm was busy with running a school. Private lessons were hard to fit into an already tight schedule, but at some point she’d make the time. Although, as mush as she would like to speak with Malaka’s daughter, she couldn’t help but be almost scared. She had abandoned Malaka and hadn’t seen him since that stormy night.

“Uh, Ro?” A knock came from the doorway and Logan sauntered in without waiting for her to invite him.

“I was just finishing up some paperwork.” She slipped some papers back into a manila envelope. “Hank is working with Iqadi today.”

“You sent the poor girl off with the big blue fur ball?” laughed Wolverine. “Doesn’t he kinda scare little kids?”

“She’s not little, Logan.” Below them Iqadi was drawing the water out of the fountain with grace. “Did you need something?”

“Eh, not particularly.” He walked over to the window to stand next to her, stepping in a bit closer than he normally would have. She didn’t seem to notice.

“I guess you want to know who Malaka is?” Her blue eyes never left the blue man and black girl playing in the fountain below.

“I figured you’d tell me when you’re ready.”

“I lost my parents when I was six years old. We were attacked and I was buried under the rubble of our home. There were no rescue crews of search teams in my neighborhood back then. If it hadn’t been for Malaka, I might have died there.” Her voice was calm and stead- she didn’t want to give in to the emotions she was feeling. “He had already lost his parents and had been living as a pickpocket on the streets. He was looting when he found me in the rubble. Only seven years old and already a life saver. We became a team.” This time her voice caught and Logan placed a concerned hand on the small of her back.

“You don’t have to tell me, Ro,” he whispered. She only shook her head and cleared her throat.

“We became a team. It’s hard to make it on the streets at such a young age, but we did. By some kind of miracle we did. You could call us a twisted child version of Bonnie and Clyde. We were good at what we did.”

“What happened?” Storm couldn’t bring herself to tell him about the rape or anything of that night.

“I left. I left him alone and never looked back. Charles found me and brought me here…I just…” This time she let her tears overtake her. “I left him.”

“Shhh…It’s ok. I’m here- I’ve gotacha. Hold on darlin’.” Ororo collapsed into his arms and they both sank to their knees. She cried for her childhood, for her innocence, and for Malaka. Logan just held on. He knew he made the wrong choice in Jean. He was attracted to the competition for her attention, to her vulnerability. With Ororo he loved everything about her. Her hair, eyes, laugh, tears, and attitude. He was in love with the weather witch. And she thought he couldn’t love her because he still was holding on to Jean and that broke his heart. He had to show her how much he cared.

They stayed like that for a while, just clutching to each other for something they thought they couldn’t reach. They could hear the sounds of the students laughing down the hall and causing all kinds of chaos, but for once Wolverine did not yell or growl at them to behave and Storm did not desperately try to restore order. They just sat there holding on to each other. Finally Ororo pulled away.

“I’m sorry. I don’t know why I… Thank you,” she whispered, drying her wet face with her sleeve. Logan released his hold on her slowly.

“I didn’t know how much hell you got in that pretty head of yours.” She gave a weak smile, looking up at him from her awkward sitting position. “Just know you’re not alone, Ro.”

“Yeah. I know.” Her eyes were still staring into his with a yearning- a sort of longing. Logan couldn’t resist it any longer. His right hand brushed her cheek as the left one made its way to the back of her neck. Smoothly he pulled her face centimeters away from his- his breath steady against her lips. Then he waited. He had made his move, but he wanted to know she wanted this as much as he did. It almost surprised him when she closed the distance between them. Her lips brushed his with a gentleness that he had expected from her.

That kiss was what they bother desired. Ororo moved in closer, at the same moment allowing his tongue to enter her mouth. He was a wonderful kisser; better than any other man she had kissed before. Although she didn’t want it to end, her body was screaming for air, so she released, letting her heartbeat steady.

“Ororo, I…” For once with a woman, Logan didn’t know what to say. She placed a finger on his lips and rested her forehead on his chest.

“Are you sure this is what you want?” she breathed. “Because you can back out now if there’s a chance you just want someone and don’t truly care.” Her face remained buried in his chest, but she let her fears be heard. Storm knew she could not take any heartbreak right now. Logan wrapped his arms around her protectively.

“I would never hurt you. I’m not that guy anymore. I don’t wanna be anywhere, but right here. Give me a chance, Ro,” he whispered into her white hair.

“I am…I am.” Ororo turned her head back up to his, their lips brushing again. Suddenly shouting could be heard from the hallway and thundering footstep echoed off the floor. Storm took a deep breath and waited. There is was- someone was pounding on her door.

“Ms. Munroe! Ms. Munroe! Jimmy hit Ryan in the head with a basketball and now they’re fighting on the court!” A girl’s frantic voice came from the other side of the door.

“And life goes on,” sighed Storm. Logan helped her to her feet and wiped away any remaining tears. With a smile, she left the office to restore peace to the children’s world.





You must login () to review.