He didn’t like it. He didn’t like it one bit. Logan ground his teeth together while simultaneously clenching and unclenching his fists as he took in his surroundings. His senses were in overdrive and his hackles were up. Way up. Logan could hear various heartbeats all around him”hear them individually. If that wasn’t enough to set him on edge, he could smell each bub in the place. All drunk. All sweating. All lusting after the same thing.

Try as he might, Logan found it increasingly hard to keep up his appearance of cool, calm, and collected. He tried to distract himself long enough to calm down and keep from blowing the plan. His mind drifted back to what brought them all there…



Earlier that day...

“….so, as you can see, it requires a certain…finesse, and just the right amount of persuasion. Go. Tread carefully, my X-Men.”

Professor Xavier’s words seemed harmless. The mission was easy enough”infiltrate the sleazy underworld of the local ‘gentleman’s clubs’ and find out who was enticing mutants to work there, kidnapping them, then letting them loose back into the world with murderous intentions. Shortly after they killed their targets, the mutants died horrific deaths, usually as a result of their own powers. Easy mission. In fact, the hardest part of the plan was getting the “bait” to cooperate.

“Absolutely not,” Ororo stated, punctuated with the raise of a perfectly arched eyebrow.

“Ororo, it’s obvious you’re the best member of the team to send in for this mission.” Jean would not relent in her insistence.

“Is that so, Jean?”

Uh-oh, the question was loaded with, as Logan would say, “a crap-ton” of implications. Jean appeared not to catch on to the ominous tone Ororo had taken.

“Of course, ‘Ro, you have all the qualities to pull this off. You’re naturally graceful, you do teach the dance class here. We need your indomitable calm, quick decision-making and”“ Scott jumped in quickly and attempted to back his fiancé up by listing all reasons why Ororo should take lead. But she was just as quick on the draw.

“And I’m not Jean. Isn’t that what you are implying, Scott? Better to have those patrons”and I use that term as loosely as possible”drooling over me than your fiancé, right?”

Logan shook his head as he watched ol’ One-Eye walk squarely into that blow. He coulda told the bum that was where ‘Ro was headed. He decided to keep that information to himself and he watched the guy squirm in his own skin while trying to back-pedal out of this one.

“…W-w-w-well, no, that’s n-n-n-not what I was saying at all. I was just trying to list the reasons you are perfect for this mission and-” The boy was drowning.

“”and ya got one helluva rack, ‘Ro,” Logan interjected. One-Eye would owe him after this. Big time.

This time, he was the recipient of one of her trademark eyebrow lifts.

“Excuse me, Logan?” Although her exterior appeared calm, she was fuming underneath.

“Oror-,” he began, a little miffed that he was actually affected by her ire.

“Oh, so now you know my name, now that I’m to be placated so that I may agree to the terms of this mission, Logan? Whatever happened to ‘Storm’? Or ‘Weather Witch’? You never refer to me by my birth name. Not unless you want something,” she stated matter-of-factly, narrowing her eyes.

She had him there, and he hadn’t even realized until she spoke it aloud. As he began to think about it, he could count on one hand the number of times he called her by her real name--not codename--and they were all when he needed to persuade her to do something.

Damn.

Logan sighed.

“Yer right, ‘Ro. I’m an ass. But I’m also male”all male. Which means I know what guys like. And they like-” He began his defense, only to be cut off by Ororo.

“Like what-- the exotic? The strange and unfamiliar? Am I to be bartered like some piece of property, Logan? Really, I would have expected better from you,” she stated icily.

Logan, Jean, and Scott all looked to the Professor for assistance, He gave none.

*I trust you will all resolve this yourselves,* he said telepathically before he wheeled himself from the War Room.

“ Look, ‘Ro”or Storm”or whatever you want me to call ya, I understand ya don’t wanna feel like some piece of eye-candy for a bunch o’pervs. But it just so happens that’s what this mission calls for. You and I talk on occasion, and ya know how I feel about being used as a target or bait, especially with Weapon X. But…” His tone turned sincere as he hoped to make a breakthrough. “Ya know I wouldn’t ask “especially on behalf of One-Eye”if it wasn’t important. Some fucker’s taking advantage of mutants, ‘Ro. Young girls, jus’ like Jubes , Dazzler, Kitty and Rogue...and using them like pawns in a fuckin’ chess game.”

“Logan. Language,” she chided, but he could see her resolve weakening.

Jean was almost stealthy as she jumped in, “ ‘Ro, we wouldn’t ask such a thing if it wasn’t necessary. But, as Scott and Logan said, you have the internal and external qualities this particular mission requires. Besides, I’ll be doing a psi-scan on the club to try and weed out our bad guys.”

“Yeah, and Logan and I will be there with you and jump in if things start to go south. Come on, Ororo, we need you on this one,” Scott chimed in.

Ororo was pensive. She hated pensive. Pensive was for those too weak to make a decision and stand by it. And Goddess knew she was anything but weak.

“And no, we don’t think yer weak, ‘Ro. Hell it takes more balls than every male in this school has to do what we’re asking ya’ ta do. But it’s what we do as X-Men. Protect those who can’t protect themselves and deal with the bad guys.” Logan added the final plea, hopeful that it would tip the scales.

Ororo said nothing as she sat on the edge of Professor Xavier’s desk and sighed in resignation. Or was it determination? Her bosom rose and fell ever so slightly on her crossed arms. Time seemed to drag on as she looked at the three other members of her team. She gave one long, slow, exhalation before looking them each in the eye and holding their collective gaze.

“If it must be done, then I will do it.”



Now…

Currently, Logan sat at the bar of the seedy joint, aptly named “Heavenly Bodies,” watching inconspicuously from under the brim of his beloved Stetson. He spied Scott across the expanse of the club, looking every bit as uncomfortable as he thought he would. Try as he may, Scooter would never fit into a place like this. Logan had practically had to beat him over the head to get him to realize that patrons of this type of establishment didn’t normally wear Docker’s and have an ascot tucked in their breast pocket. So, Scott had conceded and now donned khakis and a nicely pressed polo.

Boy Scout, Logan thought with a chuckle to himself. That boy’s wound tighter than a friggin’ bedspring coil.

*Logan, stop mocking Scott. He’s not as reserved as you think.*

*Jeanie, get outta my head. I’m tryin’ to work here.*

*Sorry. I was doing a Psi-sweep to pick up anybody with less than honorable intentions.*

*Jeanie, it’s a strip-joint. The only thoughts in here are those with “less than honorable intentions”.*
Logan shook his head as he had the telepathic conversation with Jean.

* You know what I mean, Logan.*

*I know, just teasin’ ya. Me and Scooter are looking out for “Ro. You just relax out there in the ‘Bird and alert us when the perv comes.*

*Aye-aye, Captain.
* Jean made sure Logan could feel the sarcasm dripping off her every word.

“Logan,” Although Scott whispered the words under his breath, he knew Logan would hear him across the wide expanse of the club, “‘Ro should be coming up soon.”

“Gentlemen, grab your seats and make sure you are focused on this next act coming to the stage,” the emcee began over the blaring loudspeaker. “This dancer is new to Heavenly Bodies and they say she is baaadddd…” again, another dramatic pause for effect. “I haven’t had the pleasure to meet his new gal, but if she lives up to her stage name, she may be the next star, gentlemen. So…without further adieu, let’s give a rowdy “Heavenly Bodies” welcome to…Dream!!!!”

Logan growled low in his throat at the thunderous applause that followed.

Friggin’ pricks. Not that he didn’t enjoy a trip to what he termed “Flesh Parties” to watch pretty girls do their thing, but these guys were like carnivores awaiting the next piece of meat. Then he smelled it. Fear. No, now it was gone. Or was it ever there? Logan slowly turned on his stool to locate the source. Eventually, he wound up facing the stage and had yet to find the owner of the scent.

Whoever the hell it was sure got over it fast, he thought. Somehow he had failed to notice how the lights had been dimmed, and now a lone spotlight shone on the dark curtain at the end of the stage. Even with his enhanced sense of sight, Logan could only faintly make out the feminine silhouette resting behind it. He found himself mesmerized by the slight rise and fall of her shoulders; it was as if she was trying to will herself to get through this routine. He sniffed the air again, looking for that trace of fear he had smelled earlier.

Sandalwood, Rain, and Vanilla…..that’s ‘Ro. Logan had memorized every scent within the walls of Xavier’s mansion and knew this particular scent belonged to the resident Weather Goddess. Somehow it always soothed him to smell her scent, although he could never figure why.

Goddess. I guess I could see why she wasn’t all gung-ho to take this mission on. Not exactly somethin’ a goddess would do, he mused, then frowned as he realized what it must’ve taken for her to concede.

Damn.

Almost imperceptibly, the figure behind the curtain gave a nod of her head and the music began to play. Slow, seductive beats began to pulsate through the club as Danzig’s “She Rides” played on.

The dark curtains pulled away slowly to reveal powder blue toenails in what had to be the sexiest pair of strappy heels ever. As the lead singer’s gruff voice began, the spotlight moved up to reveal those strappy heels belonged to a pair of mile-long, mocha colored legs.

Damn, talk about yer’ stairway to heaven, Logan thought to himself. He felt a slight twinge of guilt gnaw at his gut for looking at his teammate so lasciviously.

Those forever-long gorgeous legs were topped off by the shortest and sexiest pair of white leather boy shorts known to man. Logan, and he was sure every male”hell, even a few females”followed the spotlight as it traversed its way up that delectable body. A tight six-pack of abs gave way to a more than ample bosom, barely contained by a white leather bikini top. The spotlight continued its journey up a graceful swan neck, full kissable lips with just a hint of gloss and shimmer, strong, aristocratic nose, eyes so blue they seemed cerulean, perfectly manicured snow-covered eyebrows, and”

What the hell…blue eyes? Logan suddenly found himself transfixed on blue eyes he was sure he had never seen before. He would definitely remember those eyes. Definitely. Once he had mentally shaken himself, he then focused his gaze on the whole package, and damn, what a package. Ororo had begun her routine and was slowly rocking her hips in tune with the song and methodically stalking further onto the stage. Aside from the music pulsing, the entire club had become eerily quiet. Logan couldn’t even hear the pervs breathing. It was if they were all simultaneously holding their breaths in fear that if they breathed this...vision…would disappear. Then again, Logan was sure his own breathing”and heart, for that matter”had ceased to function, for when he returned his gaze back to the face of the angel on the stage, he found her cerulean eyes were locked on him. Logan swallowed thickly and found he had to adjust himself in his seat to get comfortable. He couldn’t look away as those blue eyes pinned him in his spot as the routine went on. The only time those eyes looked away from him was when Ororo turned and threw her head back to let her snow white hair cascade down her back and she suggestively rolled her hips to the music. Once she turned around, she locked her eyes on him again and neared the pole in the middle of the stage. She sauntered to the front and leaned back on the pole and began to slowly thrust her hips forward with the downbeat of the song. Logan felt the sudden urge to throw down his beloved Stetson in an effort to let the heat that was forming in his body seep out through the top of his head.

Damn, ‘Ro. Who knew you were this ….this…..

*Sexy? Hot? She always has been. What’re you, blind?*

*Dammit, Jeanie! Get outta my head!*


Logan could hear Jean’s giggle resonate through his head. Even so, his eyes never left the scene on the stage. He made sure his psi-blocks were firmly in place, just in case. Sweat. Lust. Logan’s stomach clenched as his senses were overwhelmed with the scents all at once. His eyes were still focused on the beauty before him, but he could hear Scooter’s muffled “Damn.”

That boy better make sure his Psi-blocks are in place or Jeannie’s gonna turn’im to mush.

The only indication that the song was ending was when Ororo slowed her ministrations and took a graceful bow before turning on her heels and walking away from the stage, her head held high as if she hadn’t just planted some long, wet dreams in every man’s head.

Logan’s senses were again assaulted as the club erupted again in thunderous applause and cat calls once everyone realized the routine was over.

“Wel- **ahem** well, Gents, let’s hear it again for the new queen of this joint….Dream!!!!!!” The emcee regained his ability to speak and urged the patrons to once again applaud the woman who’d just left more than a lasting impression on them. The applause continued for another two minutes before Scott approached Logan, worry etched on his stoic face.

“Jean’s picked something up,” he confessed.

“What?” Logan asked.

*Logan, there’s a man looking to purchase Ororo for his private….collection.*

Logan swore he could feel his incisors extending at Jean’s words.

*The fuck do ya mean, ‘private collection,’ Jeannie?*

Jean could literally feel the hairs on her arms and neck rise as Logan asked his question with more calm than he had a right to. Too calm.

*He just approached the club owner and presented him with a check with a lot of zero’s to…buy ‘Ro.*

*Jeannie, where’s ‘Ro?*
Logan didn’t know why, but his hackles were rising.


…………..

*Dammit, Jeanie!*

*Calm down, Logan! I’m trying to get a read on her….she’s in the dressing rooms down the back hall, third door on the right.*


Without so much as a word, he nodded for Scott to follow as he headed in the direction she gave.

*Scott? Logan?*

*Yes, Jean?*

*Yeah?*

*Be careful. She’s pissed.*





You must login () to review.