One hour later…

Logan sat perched atop one of the large shade trees on the property of Xavier’s safe house. His gaze was focused on the scene unfolding fifty yards away from him. A gentle breeze stirred as he watched Ororo move fluidly in the open clearing. Although he couldn’t decipher her exact words or their meaning, Logan knew she was chanting in her native Afrikaans. He couldn’t think of a more beautiful sound. Ororo’s voice had never been deep, per se, but it was a commanding voice, one that you took notice of. Currently, she spoke her native tongue fluidly and moved her body in rhythm with the melodic chants. Just as Logan began to grow accustomed to the scene before him, Ororo changed her rhythm, her pace quickening with her chanting. Just as it seemed she hit the crescendo of her routine, thunder rolled in the distance and the winds slightly picked up. A light rain began to fall, the impromptu storm growing in intensity until the force of it nearly knocked Logan from his perch. Ororo’s frantic movements mirrored the chaotic weather around theme until suddenly stilled her movements and Ororo fell to her knees and gave a warrior cry so feral it made Logan’s hair stand on end, a tremendous thunderclap accompanying it. Then, just as quickly as the storm began to rage, it stopped. No rain. No howling winds. Nothing. After a while, the stillness began to make Logan uneasy until he heard more soft chanting. The chanting grew softer as Ororo lowered herself to the ground in a bowing motion. As she recited the last words of the ritual, she slowed her breathing considerably, closing her eyes to complete the act.

Rising to a kneeling position with both eyes closed, Ororo continued to focus on her breathing. She grew so still that Logan thought she’d fallen into a trance. He was startled by her velvety voice when she finally spoke.

“Do you plan to speak to me finally or are you going to continue avoiding me?”

Logan made no effort to respond, choosing to stay hidden in the shadows of the trees.

Ororo exhaled softly, then rose gracefully from her perch, “Logan, we’ve already done this ‘dialogue in the dark’, remember? I didn’t care for it then and I don’t care for it now.”

Logan was in the process of choosing his words when Ororo made a sound of impatience and turned to stare directly in his eyes. How tha hell did she find me in these damn shadows?!

“Logan, I have neither the desire nor the time to coax a conversation out of you tonight. I simply wanted to thank you for defending me today and let you know I think no differently of you because of what happened. With that said, I bid you good night, but keep in mind, Logan, I have no intention of repeating these scenarios of hide and seek if you intend to have a relationship with me.” With that, she turned on her heel and headed for the cabin.

Thoroughly reprimanded and slightly aroused by her commanding stature, Logan nimbly leapt from his perch to the ground. Ororo made no show of responding to this.

“’Ro”wait. Please.”

That worked in stilling her movements.

“Please, don’t go. I couldn’t stand it if ya walked away.” Logan sat on a nearby stump. “Please…stay.” He motioned to the nearby log.

Ororo conceded his request and took residence on the log, legs crossed and silently waiting for him to continue.

Running an exasperated had over his face and through his hair, Logan expelled a deep breath.

“I…I didn’t mean for that ta happen. I just wanted to get ev’rybody out before…” He struggled for his next words. “I tried ta fight it, ‘Ro.”

He looked to her for a sign that she believed him. Her silent, unwavering stillness did nothing to lighten his spirit. She never failed to confound him. Dammit.
“Anyway, I jus wanted ya ta know, okay? Tell the kids I didn’t mean ta scare ’em.” He rose from his perch with the intention to leave.

“That’s it?”

Logan stopped in his tracks, incredulous, “What?”

“So, you sulk for hours about something that was not your fault, stalk me during what was intended to be a private ritual, apologize, then leave? Honestly, Logan, I expected more from you.”

He looked at her as if she’d just told him she was a man, “Tha fuck are ya sayin’, ‘Ro? Whadda I have to do to please you, woman?!” He could feel his ire growing with each second. Clearly, this encounter was not working out as he intended. Add to that the fact that Ororo seemed calm as ever, and he was pissed.

“Logan, first of all, watch your language. Second, you have never had to ‘do anything’ to please me except be yourself without apology. How could I blame you for being yourself. You are a noble man, Logan. Foolish at times, but still noble, nevertheless. We all”Jean, Scott, and the children”all understand how you operate. You are fiercely loyal to those you care about and will do whatever is necessary to protect them. What happened today, while tragic, was no exception and we feel no differently about you. It seems you’re the only one with the issue here, Logan.”

Logan locked his eyes on hers for a long moment. Ororo could see the vulnerability hiding behind them, “That’s not who I want to be fer ya, ‘Ro, I” “

She moved so quickly, it startled him, placing a finger to his lips to quiet him.

“Logan. How many times do I have to tell you that you are who I want, not some perfect gentleman that you think I want you to be?”

Logan’s mouth twitched in an effort to respond, only to be silenced by Ororo’s finger and raised eyebrow. He gave a small smile and gently took her hand in his, removing it from his lips.

“I got it. I think I finally got it, ‘Ro.” He continued holding her hand, placing it over his heart as his gaze bored into her eyes.

Ororo gave an exaggerated sigh, smiling as she spoke, “Finally! He gets it.”

Logan’s eyes softened considerably, “Oh, the lady has jokes.”

Just a swiftly as the mood lifted from somber to light, it changed to intense. The air around the duo became highly charged as Logan’s steel gray gaze turned amber, but for an entirely different reason. Ororo sucked in a sharp breath as her own eyes darkened to a cobalt blue. A haze of lust settled over them then, the air crackling with electricity. Ororo was surprised at how quickly the atmosphere changed between them, and how frequently it began occurring. Still, she did nothing to stop it. Logan took the hand he was still holding and raised it to his lips, grazing each knuckle with excruciating gentleness. Ororo could feel her eyelids grow heavier with desire. This wild man had the uncanny ability to ignite her ire and her fire at the same time like no other. He spoke in a voice so soft, she was positive it could not have come from him.

“I don’t know what I did right ta deserve ya, but I thank my God, yer Goddess, and whatever other deity I need fer ya sticking around, ‘Ro.” Then, time seemed to slow as he moved her hand back over his heart and left it there, opting to entwine his own in her silken strands of snow. Ororo did nothing to fight the gentle pull of his hand against her nape, choosing to follow the path to his inviting lips. Logan could feel a tightening in his chest as their breaths intermingled first, closing his eyes as their lips came within millimeters of one another. Just as he was sure he could already taste the sweetness that was Ororo…

*Erm…**ahem** guys… um, Scott is calling a team meeting and needs you both here.*

*Great timing, Jeannie*, Logan groused as he stilled his actions.

Ororo surprised him by chuckling lightly, resting her forehead against his own.

“It appears the fates do not wish this to happen, Logan,” she said, her voice full of humor.

Logan pinned her with a stare so intense, it shook her to her very core. His voice was thick with arousal and he shook from the restraint of not throwing her to the ground and kissing her breathless. “Damn the fates, Ororo Munroe. This
will
happen, I promise you.” He surprised her by taking her hand and leading her toward the cabin, “Now, let’s get this meeting over with so I can kill Scooter for interruptin’ us.”





You must login () to review.