Five Minutes Later…

“Sorry guys, no entrance. Dancers only,” the brick wall that served as club security spoke in his deep baritone, arms crossed firmly over his chest.

Damn meatheads, think all they need to do is shoot steroids in their ass cheeks and cross their arms to scare folks off. Logan had an internal discussion with himself.

Scott appeared at a loss why his story didn’t go over well. In his mind, he did believe Ororo to be his sister, so what if they didn’t exactly share the same physical traits? Logan rocked on his heels as Scott once again tried to explain that he and Ororo were adopted by the same family. The human wall merely raised his dark eyebrow over his midnight black shades.

What kind of ass wears shades inside a dark club, at night, no less? Logan thought, then looked to his right to see Scott with his trademark ruby shades. Never mind.

“Look, I told you once already. Now fuck off before I get mad, boys,” the bouncer threatened, even going so far as to slide his shades down his nose to reveal his eyes. Yellow eyes. At the same moment, an equally statured man approached. This man wore no glasses, but only by choice. His eyes glowed an eerie red and he graced the two men wanting access with a malevolent glare.

Jesus, F. Christ, just how many mutants did this place employ? Logan thought dryly.

“Having trouble here, Animal?” the newcomer asked his partner.

“Nothing I won’t have fun handling, just two pricks wanting some alone time with that hot piece, Dream,” the man apparently known as Animal replied.

The second man actually had the nerve to lick his lips. “Who wouldn’t? I was planning on hittin’ that very soon.”

Fuck this.

Logan moved so quick, Scott had no time to stop him. He soon had both bouncers off the floor and pinned to the wall behind them both, each hand sporting two unsheathed claws which happened to be precariously placed under their necks.

“Now, me and my friend here are gonna go see our gal pal, Dream. See, she comes with her own bodyguards. So the two of ya’ can take the night off, or I can put ya’ on permanent vacation….comprende?” Logan all but growled his words and emphasized his point, literally, by simultaneously unleashing his third claw on both hands mere millimeters from their throbbing Adam’s apples.

Scott had to fight back the grin that was begging to surface.

“So, what’s it gonna be, boys?” Logan asked with more humor in his voice than he had a right to.

Scott surmised their answers to be “yes” as he watched the color drain from both their faces. He actually began to feel bad for them.

“I believe that’s a ‘yes,’ Logan. Look guys, we don’t mean to strong arm you, but Dream really is a good friend of ours and we just want to make sure no one gives her a hard time. She has a…habit of drawing attention,” Scott felt compelled to tell them. It made no sense for them to completely alienate themselves if this mission lasted longer than intended. They may need some allies down the road.

Logan slowly lowered them to the ground, making sure to slowly retract his claws in case they were feeling frisky. Fortunately that was not the case.

“No problem, guys. So you’re mutants, too?” the second man asked, rubbing his sore throat.

Logan responded with a “duh” facial expression.

“Look, we didn’t mean any harm. It’s just me and Animal usually have to beat heads in to get people to understand. Humans love to try and …tame… female mutants,” he continued.

Scott’s face lost its humor and became deathly stoic.

“Are you serious?”

“Yeah. The last new chick, Melanie, they were beating down the doors to get to her ‘cause the dumbass emcee announced she was “fresh, sweet, mutant meat.” Those animals were salivating at the chance to plow’er…”

Logan raised an eyebrow at the image.

“...by the way, my name’s John. And this is Adam, aka Animal.” Both bouncers extended their hands to the X-Men. Scott and Logan shook hands and introduced themselves, failing to mention their true intentions at the club.

“So, ya know Dream’s a mutant, huh?” Logan asked.

“They don’t make human women like her, if ya known what I mean,” Adam replied.

The other three men gave knowing nods at his comment while he gave an appreciative low whistle under his breath.

“Look, guys, we don’t know how long Dream will be working here, but could you help us keep an eye out for her? You know us mutants, got to look out for each other.” Scott decided it best to enlist their help early.

“Sure thing, we’ll make sure no harm comes to that brickhouse. I met her earlier and she’s nice, just really quiet,” Adam replied with boyish smile. Clearly, he was taken by the Weather Goddess’ charm and beauty.

Seemingly satisfied with the turn of events and growing a little impatient with the heart to heart they appeared to be having, Logan cleared his throat. That worked in reminding their two new friends of their previous goal.

“Sorry, down this hall, third door on the right.” John indicated with a jerk of his head.

Logan grunted in response and made his way into the corridor. He could faintly hear Scott’s reply of “Thanks,” before he heard the shuffle which indicated he was following him. Logan arrived at the third door and hesitated before knocking. All of a sudden he felt a strange feeling in his gut. Nerves? What tha hell?!

Scott sensed his hesitation, “Logan, what is it?”

“Nuthin’, just wanna make sure she’s decent ‘fore we go in,” he answered. It was a lie and he knew it. But why did he really hesitate? He never hesitated.

“She already knows we’re coming. Jean informed her before we set down the hall,” Scott replied, looking at Logan as if he should have known that.

Scott raised his hand to knock, only to have the door swing open before he could strike its surface. Ororo stood, in all her glory, wearing a pair of tight fitting jeans and low cut, v-neck, three quarter length sleeve cotton tee shirt. And bare feet. Feet Logan couldn’t stop staring at.

In all the years of us living at the mansion, I don’t think I’ve ever seen her bare feet. Damn shame, too. Shaking the errant thoughts from his mind, Logan pushed the door open further to indicate he and Scott wished to enter. Ororo stepped aside to allow them entrance, her demeanor calm as usual. Scott cleared his throat as if he was suddenly unsure of himself. Logan tested the air and gave Scott a weird look as he could literally smell the emotions coming off the man. Apprehension…and …fear? He decided to interject and save the guy the trouble.

“Nice work, “Ro.” What? That ain’t what I meant ta say. How’s about what the hell was that routine out there?! Logan didn’t know why he was so tense all of a sudden. And just why the hell was Ororo the target of his anger?

“Uh, ‘Ro….is everything alright? Jean said you were…tense afterwards?” Scott treaded lightly.

No shit, Scooter. She just had to shake her ass”and a fine ass it is”in front of a club of assholes ogling her. Two of whom happened to be us. Logan snorted at Scott’s question.

Ororo seemed impatient as she returned to packing her bags and appeared to be searching for something around her small dressing room.

“’Ro, ya lookin’ fer somethin’?” Logan offered.

Ororo sighed as she continued her search, “Yes, my shoes I brought to wear out of here. I believe one of my…co-workers has chosen to relieve me of them.”

Well, that answered the barefoot question.

“…and while I am not normally opposed to going barefoot, I try to reserve that for my loft or times when I am riding the winds. Although they try to accommodate, this place still feels…” she trailed off.

“Dirty?” Logan finished for her, his nose turned as he surveyed her room.

Although her moods rarely registered with his senses, Logan could smell the tension rolling off her in waves.

“Ya could always catch a ride outta here on my back.” He attempted to relieve some of the stress in the room. That succeeded in a short smile from Ororo.

“Thank you, Logan, but I am fully capable of leaving of my own volition. I suppose I shall have to don these…shoes from my….performance,” she stated tightly.

Once she had secured the shoes in question to her feet, Ororo grabbed her duffle and headed for the door, Scott and Logan following silently. Logan was immediately assaulted with the stench of a cheap cigar, grease, and sweat. Lots of sweat.

“Wait up, Dream.” A short, stodgy man with a bad polyester suit and even worse comb over approached Ororo from a side hallway. “There’s a gent out there who wants to make you and me rich.” The gleam in his eye was unmistakable.

Ororo merely responded with a look of pure disinterest.

“That’s why I like you, Dream, not one for useless words. But you sure as hell let your body do all the talking for you. And that body has just talked me and you into a very lucrative business proposal,” he continued eagerly, his eyebrows wagging.

Logan felt a growl rise up in his throat and escape before he could stop it. If the man heard it, he never gave a hint. Logan was shocked, however, when Ororo turned slightly to place a hand on his forearm and met his eyes briefly before turning to again face “Mr. Sleazeball Extraordinaire.”

“Look, babe, this guy gave me his card and says he’ll pay six figures if you sign a contract with his adult entertainment company. I told him you’d love to-” His next breath was cut off as Ororo silenced him with a look of pure indignance.

“No one speaks for me, but me. No one.” Both Scott and Logan winced as they heard the icy undertones of her voice.

That even succeeded in cowing the greaseball in front of them.

“Aw, Darling, I’m sorry, but I thought you woulda jumped the offer and”“ He tried to reason with her.

“Mr. Veasy, your assessment was wholly premature as well as incorrect. And you can inform the gentleman of my displeasure at his request and inform him that I would most dutifully have to decline. And it would be most appreciated if you could refrain from referring to me as ‘Darling’,” she explained in a deadly voice.

“…..” Veasy appeared both shocked and confused at her words; mostly confused, because he had never heard anyone speak like that.

“That means tell’im no, bub, she ain’t interested,” Logan supplied.

Noticing the men behind the woman for the first time, Veasy looked at them questioningly.

“These are my brother and friend, Mr. Veasy. They are simply making sure I arrive home unharmed. Until tomorrow evening, I must bid you good night, sir.” Ororo stated regally while brushing past Veasy on her way out the club’s back entrance.

Logan and Scott both chuckled as they followed her out the door. Veasy was left behind, staring at her retreating entourage in disbelief, and all he could say was “Damn, what a woman.”





You must login () to review.