X-Mansion, next day…

Following the debriefing of the previous night’s mission, Xavier announced he had procured a loft in the city for Ororo which would serve as her cover until the mission was over. Scott made sure to announce his confusion as to why Ororo would turn down the man’s request to purchase her services when he was clearly the one who was taking mutants and turning them into mindless killers. Jean made a sound of impatience at this.

“Scott, you can’t give them want they want from the start. You have to dangle the carrot a little further out front.”

Scott gave no indication that he had the faintest idea of what his fiancé was saying.

“Scooter, there ain’t nuthin’ a red-blooded man wants more than to chase and wear down the will of the woman that turned him down,” Logan answered in an impatient tone to match Jean’s.

“And what ‘Ro did was present him with the greatest challenge of all.”

As if the light bulb had finally come on, Scott’s eyes widened with full understanding.

All through the debriefing and simplification for Scooter, Logan noticed how quiet Ororo had been. As if it was possible, it seemed she was trying to blend into the serene landscape of Xavier’s office.

“….so you will find all documents you need in the briefcase, your apartment and car keys, and forged identification for your temporary identity. Everything that should corroborate your back story,” Xavier finished.

Ororo nodded before gracefully rising from her perch on the arm of the plush leather sofa to retrieve the briefcase and exit the office.

Damn, has she always been this graceful? Logan thought.

“Was it just me, or did ‘Ro seem unusually quiet?” Logan asked.

“Ororo is quiet by nature, Logan,” Jean offered.

“Uh, sure. Gotta go,” he added before making a quick exit, leaving Scott, Jean , and the Professor to their strategic planning. He didn’t operate on plans well, he was much better at improvising. Logan sniffed the air and followed the scents of Sandalwood, Rain, and Vanilla into the elevator and down to the lower bowels of the mansion. Logan ended up at the entrance to the Danger Room and could hear the telltale signs of a battle inside. Knowing when to leave someone alone to deal with their frustrations in the Danger Room, Logan sat himself on the floor at the opposite wall to the entrance. He’d simply wait her out. They needed to talk.



Two hours later…..

Logan awoke with a start from his position on the hard steel floor. Definitely not a good place to nap, bub. He looked up to find Ororo standing in the entrance to the danger Room, her hands hanging loosely at her sides. Logan gave her quick but thorough once over as he rose to his feet. Comfortable sneakers, a short pair of the Xavier Institute’s standard-issue, grey cotton shorts, and formfitting black lycra tank top ” both of which bore the trademark “X,” and all that gorgeous hair pulled back into a high ponytail. Damn, how had he not noticed this powerhouse of a woman before?

Ya’ve always noticed, bub, but it’s no use touching the goods when all ya do is break ’em.

Logan was shocked at his mind’s blunt reply. Sure, he had noticed how gorgeous Ororo was the instant they met, and Jeannie had even tried to persuade him to pursue ‘Ro before, during, and after his brief pursuit of her. He’d always said that she wasn’t his type, that he “didn’t do frigid Ice Queens.” But he knew the truth, Ororo was one of the few relationships”if he could call it that”Logan could claim, and he valued that more than scratching some curious itch he had. While it was not quite a friendship, there was a forged respect and admiration of each other, their mission, and nature. Logan often felt calmer just being in her presence because there was no pretense. She understood the beast he kept at bay on a daily basis, and he understood the tight control she kept over her powers when it would be so much easier to let go. By the time he returned his focus on the woman in front of him, she was entering the elevator down the hall. She’d always moved so damn quietly, as if she were one with the winds she rode.

Damn, how does walk off without me noticing? I notice everything!

Logan had to practically run to catch the elevator before the doors shut. Ororo made no move to assist him. Logan made sure to stand near the far wall of the elevator so as not to set off Ororo’s claustrophobia by getting too close in the smaller space. Her facial expression gave no indication of awareness that he had entered the elevator car.

“I have no wish to discuss it, Logan,” she said, surprising him.

“’Ro-”

“Does anyone have any concept of ‘I don’t want to talk about it?’” she replied curtly.

Damn.

“Look, I just wanted to know if you were okay…and I wanted to ask you about yer eyes,” he trudged on.

Sighing as the elevator doors opened to the third level of the mansion and as she exited the car, Ororo continued down the hall to her loft.

“I am fine, Logan, and my eyes have always been this color. I usually wear brown contacts so as not to startle people too much. However, as you so eloquently stated, I happen to be ‘exactly what the doctor ordered for the mission.’ I figured I may as well give them and you all the ‘exotic temptress’ you wanted me to be, thus the need to flaunt my true eye color.” She gave him a tired look before unlocking her door. “Have you any further inquiries?”

If there was one thing Logan understood, it was the need for time and space to sort through one’s own issues before one could even hope to reveal it to another person.

“Nah, just wanted ya to know I’m here if ya ever need to talk…and let ya know yer eyes are beautiful. Ya should never hide’em. Never,” Logan spoke his last word with all the conviction he felt, then turned and headed towards the elevator to take him to the lower levels of the house where his room was located.

Ororo entered her loft quietly, leaning against her door as she slowly closed it. She cast her crystal blue eyes toward her skylight before expelling a long, slow breath.

“Thank you, Logan.”

Two weeks later…

Ororo had settled into her temporary home in the loft on the upper east side of the city. She made a mental note to thank Charles for choosing an alias she could live with”N’Dare Agrotera. N’Dare for her mother, Charles was always so sentimentally considerate. Agrotera was a name often affiliated with the Greek goddess, Artemis, and while she didn’t particular ascribe to a particular faith, Ororo could appreciate the famed Goddess of the hunt. Currently, she sat reviewing her notes of the previous two weeks’ developments in the mission, however, there wasn’t much to read. Nothing of any substance had occurred during that time. The ‘gentleman’ whom offered to procure her services on her first night had yet to make any further advances, although he was present at the club every night she worked. Scott made no attempt to hide his displeasure at the slow pace at which the mission was moving, and made sure to voice this at each debriefing. Ororo could always anticipate when he would interject it into their meetings and exactly what he would say.

“Well, maybe you guys were wrong about baiting him. Maybe we missed our one opportunity to nab the guy.”

And Jean would always follow with an equally rational explanation why patience would win out in the end. Jean. I can always count on Jean to have my back, even when I do not wish her to. Ororo smiled slightly at the thought. Then she turned to her open balcony window as a cool night breeze blew past her curtains. Sighing, she closed her notes and relaxed in her seat.

“Do come in, Logan. Or do you plan to lurk out there all night?” she asked.

Initially, there was no reply, and, if she didn’t know better, she would assume no one was there outside her window. Then she saw a shadow makes its way across the window. Logan landed without a sound onto the balcony.

One would think with an adamantium skeleton, he would make more noise, Ororo mused.

“Damn, ‘Ro, I think yer senses might rival mine. How’d ya’ know I was there?” Logan asked.

“Logan, I have always known you were there, and have known you have perched outside my window every night since I began staying here,” she replied matter-of-factly.

“Yeah, but…how? Not to brag or nuthin, but I was a trained assassin, and stealth comes naturally to me.” He didn’t even bother to dispute her statement.

Ororo imperceptibly rolled her eyes and cross the short distance to the icebox to retrieve a bottled water for herself and Molson’s for Logan. He eyed the bottle curiously as she placed it on the kitchen island.

“Like I said, I’ve always known you were there. It was only a matter of when you would reveal yourself.”

Resigned to the fact that she would never reveal her tracking skills, Logan took the bottle with a nod of his head and downed half its contents in one swig. Truthfully, he did stand guard on her building’s rooftop every night. He only did so just in case one of the pervs from the club had a notion to follow her home. At least that was what he told himself. He hated to admit it, but the longer the mission went on, the more he wanted it to end. Night after night, ‘Ro went onstage and always gave one hell of a show, and the clientele had been growing exponentially since her debut. And these guys were growing hornier and bolder by the day. Logan felt sick to his stomach each night after being subjected to their unbridled lust and various other scents. But, he always remained inside the club until her last set, and her eyes always found him”and only him”while she was on the stage. They had never spoken of why she always did that. Logan decided there was no time like the present to address that little fact.

“Ororo?” Logan asked.

For a moment Logan wasn’t sure she heard him as she did not respond but merely eyed him with a raised eyebrow.

“I don’t think I’ve ever heard you address me by my given name, at least not without some condition,” she spoke softly.

“Yeah, about that…sorry. I avoid saying it cuz’ I feel like I’d butcher it. ‘Ro’s a lil’ easier, ya know?”

“Then you have no reason to worry. When you speak my name, it sounds almost…reverent,” she continued in her dulcet tone.

“I could say the same. Ya’ make me sound like a halfway respectable gent when ya say my name,” Logan responded.

“I can assure it’s not any endeavor on my part. You are a man of great honor, Logan.”

There was a beat of comfortable silence between the two.

“So…Ororo, I was just wonderin why you always look at me when you’re onstage at the club,” Logan began, hesitant to address it. “I mean, not that I mind, or anything, but…ya know…” he didn’t finish, suddenly unsure if he should even broach the subject.

Ororo took a long drink from her bottled water. Logan began to think she would ignore his question all together.

“I trust you, Logan. Often, I have survived many missions by finding your eyes during the fray. Then, and only then, am I assured that we still have a fighting chance.”

Logan was at a loss for words, not quite sure how to interpret her explanation. He sat, wide-eyed and frozen in his spot.

Ororo continued, inwardly thrilled at stumping the unflappable Wolverine. “As you say, my friend, you are the best there is at what you do. If ever we encounter a mission that has you so overwhelmed that I cannot find your calm stare across the battlefield, then I truly know things have…how do you put it…’gone to hell in a handbasket’,” she finished as she looked at him with her ever-present calm smile.

Logan sat back in his chair as he let her words sink in. So, she looked to him for reassurance? Will wonders never cease?

“Well, damn….I had no idea, ‘Ro…thanks….but, I would say that I rely on ya’ to lemme know when things are going south or not,” he confided, impressed with himself when he succeeded in a getting a piqued-eyebrow lift from the woman before him. “When we’re in battle, I can always rely on ya’ to keep yer calm, ta’ not freak out at the worst possible moment. If ever ya do, then we’d all better hightail it outta there.”

Ororo emitted a small chuckle at this. Who knew the impervious Wolverine needed reassurance?

“So, to answer your question, when I’m….dancing, I find your eyes bring me comfort and help me block out what it is I am truly doing,” Logan could hear the disgust in her tone.

“What yer doin, ‘Ro, is saving our hides yet again. If it weren’t fer you, we never woulda been able to get as much info as we have”“ he was cut off by a short “tsk” from Ororo.

“Now don’t go scoffin’ at me, ‘Ro. Every night we’re in that club getting more and more leads. And Mr. Fatpockets is coming back every night. I can smell how bad he wants ya. He’s close to making his move, I can feel it.”

“Somehow, I don’t think he will be asking my opinion on the matter in the future. Not after my previous dismissal,” she stated flatly.

“Ta be honest, that’s what I’m hopin’ for,” he punctuated with a ::SNIKT:: to reveal one smooth, adamantium claw. “But, really, ‘Ro, we really do respect what yer doin’, even Scooter. That boy probably won’t admit it, but, if the tables were turned, he sure as hell wouldn’t be able ta’ do it.”

Suddenly, without any provocation, Ororo began to laugh. As in really laugh. Logan couldn’t remember ever hearing her truly laugh. He silently thought to himself how beautiful the sound was and that she should do it a lot more often. Deciding to let the moment last as long as possible, Logan said nothing and enjoyed the beautiful laugh lines that had taken residence on Ororo’s face. He even began to chuckle himself as she continued, the laughter finally dying down as she wiped an errant tear with her index finger.

“Ya know, ‘Ro, ya should laugh more often. But I’m curious as ta why yer laughin’.”

“Honestly, I’m not sure if I should tell you, Logan,” she said through her smile.”…but, I was picturing Scott on that same stage with a leather thong, dancing to The Village People’s YMCA.”

After a beat of silence and a raised eyebrow from Ororo, Logan’s mind finally registered her last statement. Ororo could literally tell the moment it sunk in as Logan’s face went through a myriad of emotions. For the most part, the majority of those emotions centered around Shock, Horror, Distaste, and finally Disgust, the latter emotion causing Logan to spew his beer into Ororo’s kitchen sink and choke on its remaining contents. Ororo’s laughter rang loud again as she rushed to aid her friend, patting his back and fanning his face with stack of napkins.

“Logan, I’m sorry. I had no idea you would react this way,” she struggled to say through her laughter.

Once he finished wheezing and had regained his breath and most of his composure, Logan replied, “Damn, ‘Ro, ya’ can’t go planting images like that in a guy’s head. By guy, I mean me.”

Then , he surprised himself and Ororo when he began guffawing, too, at the Weather Goddess’ impromptu joke. “I like this,” he said wistfully, with an easy smile.

“’This?’”

“Yeah, you like this”relaxed and not all serious like,” he said, his own tone becoming serious.

Ororo’s smile slowly faded and her expression become somewhat somber. Logan could kick himself for being the one to take the smile from her face.

“It’s not often that I can afford to be so carefree. With my emotions being tied to the world’s weather patterns, I am obligated to remain as emotionally neutral as I can,” she stated, all humor now gone from her voice.

“So, ya just walk around serious all the time? When do ya get a break, ‘Ro?” His question was met with silence. He acted on impulse and reached the small distance across the kitchen island to take her hand. “’Ro, I know yer a leader of the X-Men and all, but ya gotta take time fer yerself. At least, every once in a while,” he could see she was about to rebut him. “And ‘fore ya say anything, ya know I’m arling’ the truth. You’ n’me, we’re the ones in tune with nature. Ya know as well as I do that sometimes ya just gotta let loose. It’s…natural.”

Ororo glanced at their entwined hands and replied, “My friend, the last time I “let loose,” I nearly wiped out my village. That was nearly fifteen years ago, and I have yet to forgive myself.”

Logan inhaled sharply when he felt her grip tighten as she warred with her inner emotions. Her pain was almost palpable.

“ ‘Ro, I remember Jeanie telling’ me about that. Lemme tell ya’, had I just watched a close friend die in pain because she couldn’t get meds due to some bureaucratic redtape bullshit, I woulda done a lot more than unleash a typhoon in the Sahara Desert.”

“Regardless of the reason, it was still uncalled for, unnecessary, and completely foolhardy, Logan. And watch your language.”

Logan expelled a breath he hadn’t known he was holding. “Look, ‘Ro, I see why ya feel ya have to stay buttoned up all the time. I feel ya should be able to let go every now an’ then. What say we agree to disagree and move onto…a happier topic?”

She smiled at his attempt to redirect their conversation. “Well, my friend, I would love to continue our conversation. However, it is getting late and I must prepare to return to the club. I trust you and Scott will be there when I arrive?”

“You bet yer sweet ass, we will,” he stated with a slow, predatory smile.

Ororo gave a small smile as she knew Logan was merely trying to provoke her. “Until tonight, then, my friend,” she stated as she entered her bedroom.

“‘Til tonight, darling’. ‘Til tonight.”





You must login () to review.