Next day at the Mansion…

“Ahr yah sure yah can do this, sugah?” her voice was quiet as a whisper.

“Um, I’m sure I could probably be doing better. That is, if you worrywarts would, say, stop breathing down my neck and relax,” was the terse reply she gave.

“Hmmpf. Well, somebody’s got their Vicki’s Secrets all twisted up in a knot. Maybe you need Dazzler to loosen ’em with a lil’ sonic boom,” came a third, high-pitched voice in the dim room.

A low chuckle followed. “Just say the word, Jubes, and I’ll make it rain ‘Day of the Week’ panties.”

More chuckling.

“*Ahem*…femmes, why don’ we jus’ let chere focus s’we can escape dis wit’ our minds intact, non?”

“I agree. Ladies, please. Katya needs silence.”

“You’re only saying that, Mother Russia, cuz she’ll reward you by installing your ‘hard drive’ into her ‘pc’ later.”

Even more chuckling.

Enough. She’d had enough.

“Guys!” Her voice was tight with strain and frustration. “One”I can’t focus if you all keep chattering. And two”I suggest you all focus your own thoughts on keeping the professor in the dark about what it is we’re really doing,” Kitty whispered hotly. There was no way in hell she could hack into the X-frame with this madcap bunch of loons distracting her.

“Sorry,” the impromptu party of six replied. Her team, Bobby aka Iceman, Alison aka Dazzler, Jubilee, Remy aka Gambit, Peter aka Colossus and Marie aka Rogue all sported the same sheepish looks and instead focused on the task at hand. Currently, said task would be to keep the Professor unaware of their attempts to access the X-Men mainframe and discover exactly what mission has kept their beloved instructors ”or at least Ms. Munroe”away for nearly three months. Katherine Pryde, or Kitty to her friends, was the resident tech wizard who could hack into nearly any computer mainframe in the world. However, she was growing increasingly frustrated at her apparent failure to access the mansion’s mainframe. Her task was made no easier by her less than stealthy accomplices.

I should’ve just done this alone and told them after the fact, she groused to herself.

“We are sorry, Katya,” Peter said softly into her ear. He was close enough that she could feel the warmth of his bulky frame behind her.

And just as quickly she was reminded of why she invited her friends along. She’d need all the support she could get to attempt this. A slow, low, breath passed her lips and she leaned into Peter’s body slightly.

“I know,,” she replied just as softly. “I really appreciate you guys, I’m just a little frustrated because it’s been over an hour, and I’m no closer to breaking the code than before.”

“Aw, sugah, we know ya can do it. We believe in ya. Take yer time and we’ll think about other stuff to throw the professor off,” Marie offered in support.

A chorus of “Yeah” went around from her friends.

Gathering her resolve, Kitty set to the task at hand “Peter, babe, I need you to hold the flashlight ri-ii-iight…there. Don’t move.”

Peter did as asked as Kitty phased both hands through the War Room’s wall computer. She began to breathe slow and steady as she closed her eyes and let her mind figure out the puzzle before her. Meanwhile, her accomplices focused on anything other than what they were doing so as not to alert the Professor.

Bobby thought of baseball stats and Baywatch. Speaking of Baywatch,man, I bet Dazzler’d look great running down the beach in slow motion.

Jubilee thought of the cute purse she spotted at the Megaplex last weekend. That’s definitely gonna be next on my ‘to have’ list.

Alison thought of how cute Bobby looked with his brows furrowed while deep in thought. Definitely snack-able. Mm-hm.

Marie and Remy were thinking of the same thought”kissing. If only ah wouldn’t kill’em vs No death would be sweeter than at the lips of m’chere.

Kitty beamed proudly as she slowly opened her eyes and withdrew her hands from the wall unit. “I’m in. I’m sending this info to my email account. We can read it from my laptop; I’ve got the feeling we need to be as far away as we can from the mansion and the Professor’s mind probes when we read it.”

She busied herself for the next several seconds and then motioned for her team to sneak out of the room as quietly as they entered. They had all made it as far as the library a mere ten feet down the hall when they heard the telltale hum that signaled the Professor would be rolling upon them at any second. Remy pulled Marie into the library with a graceful tug, Peter sat on the cherry oak bench that lined the wall and pulled Kitty into his lap where she landed with an “ommph.” Alison grabbed Bobby by the collar and proceeded to press him against the wall, followed by her lips on his. And this is how the Professor came upon them. Remy appeared deep in thought as he read a poem in French to Marie, and Peter was explaining a painting on the far wall to Kitty. Both girls looked at their respective beaus with rapt attention. Alison and Bobby were…otherwise indisposed, and Jubilee simply stood there in the middle of the hall, looking highly annoyed.

“It’s times like these when I realize one startling fact: I need a boyfriend!” she said to the Professor as she stomped off.

Professor Xavier regarded the remaining scene around him with a raised brow and nod of acknowledgment to the teens before continuing on his way to his private study.

“Whew, that was close,” Kitty said as she watched the Professor’s door close. “Quick thinking, big guy.”

“What can I say, Katya? You inspire me,” Peter beamed. That remark earned him a short but sweet kiss on the lips.

“Ah bet Professor X didn’t expect us to use all that cunnin’ we learned in trainin’ against him, huh?” Marie added as she and Remy exited the library.

“Probably not. Come on, guys, my laptop’s in the Jeep. We can head out to those cornfields Remy found a few months ago on the outskirts of town.”

The group of three began on their way, only to find they were two people short.

“Dazzler, yah think ya could pull yer tongue outta Icicle’s throat so ya can join us?”

Alison’s response was slow in coming, as she savored the last of the kiss before facing her friends, giant grin intact. Bobby, on the other hand, appeared to be dumbfounded as his eyes were still closed and his lips puckered. He slowly regained his composure.

“Wow,” he stated breathlessly as he chewed his gum. Gum that hadn’t been in his mouth a minute ago.

“Come on, Ice Pop. We need to round up Jubey and head out,” Alison explained as she pulled him along. She turned and whispered into his ear as they followed the others, “And I fully intend on reclaiming my gum.”

I love being an X-Man!! Bobby thought with a foolish grin.



Meanwhile…

“Well, what other failure have you to report, grommet?”

“Actually, sire, the news I bring this eve is quite the opposite,” his assistant stated with a bit of pride in his voice. Finally, I’ll show him that I’m not as worthless as he has always believed.

That statement succeeded in an eyebrow lift of mild astonishment; however, it was short-lived.

“Really? And just what is this news you have for me?”

Damian bit back the sarcastic reply that begged to be released. Not now…patience is the sign of a true victor.

“The one you…desire, my lord. I was able to access her thoughts, albeit briefly. From what I discovered, she would be most worthy of the title of Queen. She views the world as no other does. True beauty radiates from within her.”

“Careful, grommet, you speak as if you desire her for yourself. Do not forget your station, you were born to follow, never to lead. A woman as majestic as you describe would only put you to shame, as you could never deserve her.”

Fury and anger burned white hot in his belly as he kept his face as stoic as possible. No good would come of allowing the Master to see how deeply his words had cut. Truthfully, Damian felt no man would be deserving of the Goddess whom he had been actively pursuing for his liege. Even though he only accessed her mind for brief moments, he would forever remember how it felt. Although there was an edge to her, she was a gentle, loving beast. And she held power within her hands beyond the comprehension of any man. That news he would save for himself, no need to whet the Master’s appetite any further. That little bit of information would send him into a feeding frenzy. Their mission had seemed simple, at least in the beginning. ”Go to the cities of this Earth and find me a God-Queen befitting of my name and the throne beside me.” The mission itself had begun over twelve centuries ago, in Ancient Macedonia. Damian and his cohorts would visit city upon city of the newly formed world in search of a God-Queen for their master. Each woman they brought before him was more beautiful than the last, and they always hoped she would be “the one.” The one to satisfy their master’s never-ending desire. The one to end their master’s insurmountable expectations. The one to finally free them from their eternal curse. Of course, being the right-hand men of a God had its perks”immortality, beauty, strength, wealth, special gifts, amazing virility”but, after nearly twelve thousand years, it got a little old. Damian could remember the dreams of his youth as clearly today as then.

Twelve thousand years ago, contrary to the popular belief that the earth was recovering from the great Ice Age, Damian lived during a time of great prosperity for man. They lived in highly advanced cities, wore the finest robes, ate the finest foods, and drank the best wine. Life was good…so long as the Gods were not angered. The people of Damian’s time made it their lives’ work to keep the Gods happy”festivals, sacrifices, erecting endless temples in their name. Damian would have loved nothing more than to have served his country in war, returned home a hero and married a beautiful girl”all by the ripe old age of 16. It would have been a full life back then; he would have happily died an old man at the age of 27, so long as his wife bore him at least two sons to carry his name.

But that was never fated to be. It seems. Fate, or should one say, the Fates? They always had a way of seeing that certain things happened, whether wanted or not. Damian’s fate was to join the military at the age of thirteen with his best friends, Ios and Deos, and serve one short term at war. While on their journey back home, they happened upon an injured man in the forest. Once he and his friends carried him to safety in the shelter of a cave, they learned he was no mortal man, but a great God whom had been tricked by his beloved wife and stripped of his powers. He had been left to die, his mortal body decaying from the loss of his powers and literally disintegrating from the inside out. While at first suspicious, Damian, Ios, and Deos nursed the man as well as they could. He then instructed them on how to summon his bitch of a wife and trick her into restoring his powers”with her own. Once his powers had returned, the man slew his wife without mercy and rewarded the men with immortality, rugged good looks, and immense wealth.

However, as is always the case with the ancient gods, there was a catch. For their dutiful assistance, the three friends were eternally connected to this man who’d become a God”their lives all intertwined. If and when he died, so would they. However, the connection did not appear to work in reverse. This was discovered when Deos decided he had grown tired of the deal. The year was 989 A.D. when he slit his wrists and died, and his friends attempted to help him. Their master suffered nothing but annoyance at this. After all he had given the peon, he would pull such a stunt? Their master simply resurrected Deos, then had him bound to a rock and forced his best friends to watch as savage wolves, bears, and various assortments of beasts feasted on his living body. The best part was that both Damian and Ios could feel the flesh tear from Deos’ limbs as they were still connected via their life bonds. They, too, seemed to die the same slow, torturous death their friend did. All the while, their master looked on with bored interest and feasted on ambrosia fed by one of his ever-present beauties. It took Damian and Ios nearly two weeks to recover their strength from the ordeal, and they were forced to clean their friend’s rotting remains from the boulder. After they gave him a burial befitting their time”his physical remains smoldering in flames as they sent his tiny sailboat out to sea, the two remaining friends realized their master was none to be tampered with. Three years passed as they mourned Deos, only to have their master bring him back to life. Apparently, his death was only a temporary punishment.

Although, Damian was sure the three years of death were more like a reprieve. Since that time, neither of the friends had ever thought to cross their master. No, they had become accustomed to his enormous ego, his thirst for females”although, there were times in Ancient Rome where boys were in high demand”and his constant ire. Working for the master was never overly difficult, but there were times when it seemed…draining.

For the last several centuries, the three men worked in eternal servitude to their God-master, living out decade after decade in search for the perfect companion for him. Their master had been so spurned by his previous love that he launched a never-ending search for the one who would never betray him and who would be worthy of his seed when he decided to sire a son. For ages, the three men traversed the globe, luring unsuspecting women into their master’s grasp, only to see them fall short of his vision of perfection and be cast aside like garbage. Initially, the women’s remains would be found decades later, their names and faces long forgotten.

Having grown tired of the death, the men somehow had begun to only seek out women with “special abilities.” Mutants. They did this initially because they felt such women would stand a better chance in battle versus their master, that maybe they could escape death. However, one by one they all perished. Within the last decade, their master had decided that he could use the various gifts of these women to his advantage”to seduce, and then murder his enemies. Damian, Ios, and Deos could never fathom why their master felt threatened by mere mortals. Each man that was murdered was a man of great wealth”sheiks, senators, statesmen, and entrepreneurs”and after each died, their master would somehow assume all of their shareholdings and wealth. The three friends always thought it amusing that a God would want wealth. He was a God, after all.

“Damian, my most faithful servant. You tarry too long within your own imaginings. I have asked you twice now about this woman. Please do not make me remind you of my power.”

There it was, the ever-present threat. Damian cursed himself for his mistake. The master always hated it when he appeared to be ignoring him.

“Forgive me, sire. I was merely overwhelmed with joy at the prospect of pleasing you.” Damian tried to keep his eyes from rolling too far back in his head as he spoke. There. That should appease him. For now.

“Very well. Please, do continue. Tell me about your next God-Queen. One befitting the last God of Atlantis.”



Somewhere near North Westchester, New York…

It had taken Kitty and her compatriots nearly an hour to locate Jubilee after she stomped off. In the end, it was Alison who finally realized where their friend would tear off to after a stressful event -- the local mall for shopping. Jubilee was none too pleased when Peter had the nerve to physically remove her from mall via a fireman carry over his shoulder. After the girls calmed her down and Kitty made sure to sit in her lap to keep her from shooting fireworks up Peter’s nose, the friends all loaded into the Institute’s Jeep Commando and chartered a course for the corn fields that bordered the rural district. They had been here for almost two hours as Kitty, Marie, Alison, and Bobby took turns reading through the case files Kitty emailed herself.

“Kit-Kat, I thought you said you found the files and sent them to your email account. We’ve been reading through these flippin’ files”so appropriately named ‘The X-Files’”and have found jack-shit about this mission they’re on.” Clearly, Alison had reached the limits of her patience.

“I thought I did. I sent all the mission files whose dates corresponded with those from the last few months since the teachers’ve all been gone. I mean, how many missions can they go on at one time?”

Both Bobby and Jubilee cast her a “duh” glare.

“Um…they are ‘The X-Men,’ the masters of multi-tasking.” Jubilee shook her head in mild annoyance as she popped her gum. “Gah, sometimes, Kit, you can be so dense.”

“Yeah, Kitty. These are the same folks who helped the Fantastic Four stop Dr. Evil from destroying the Sun’s power source, rescued 10 POWs from Kazakhistan, help thwart an attempted presidential assassination, and planned those killer mid-term exams we nearly failed”all in the same two-day weekend,” Bobby added, just for good measure.

“Comrades, please. Katya has worked very hard to obtain this much information. We are all concerned about this mission that is keeping our friends and instructors away so long. Beating up on Katya will not help. And I will not allow it.” The finality in Peter’s tone brooked no argument.

“Whoa, homme…why don’ we all jus’ relax a bit, eh? No need for bloodshed. We jus’ need t’breathe a bit, hm?” Remy was sure it would take all of his empathic abilities to calm this group.

“Uh…guys, ah think Ah’ve found something. Look,” the group all huddled around Marie as she scrolled through the file marked ”Risque.”

“Yeah, it says the X-Men are investigating some creep who’s brainwashing mutants and turning them into assassins,” Jubilee read over her shoulder.

“Yeah, and it looks like they’ve tracked him down to a place….called …’Heavenly Bodies’…dang, why does that name sound so familiar,” Bobby mused aloud.

“I know, homme, sounds like I heard dat name befo’, too. But where?”

“Um…probably cuz it’s a strip joint.” Alison gave Bobby a pointed glare . He gulped in return.

“Yeah, it’s a strip club, and the Professor’s notes say…Ho-ly…” Kitty’s words were lost as the shock over reading the file sunk in.

Marie read ahead, specifically to the portion which detailed Ms. Munroe’s task in the mission. She finished Kitty’s thought. “Shit.”





You must login () to review.