Two days later…

“Delivery for a Miss…um…Ore-Oro Mun-“

“Munroe will do just fine. Thank you.”

Ororo took the large rectangular box. It was beautifully wrapped in gold and tied with an immaculate crimson ribbon. She looked up from her newly received gift to find the delivery man staring at her, mouth agape. Sighing internally, she smiled and tipped him generously and tried to bid him a good night.

“I’m sorry, Miss, b-but do you have any idea how freakin’ hot you are?”

“*Ahem* And do ya have any idea how dead yer about to be, bub?” Logan’s gruff voice was low and rounded the corner before his body did. However, that was enough to startle Ororo’s newfound admirer.

“Thank you, again, sir. Please, do have a good evening” Ororo gently touched his arm as he was paralyzed with fear. He soon regained his composure and practically ran in the opposite direction of Logan’s voice.

“You shouldn’t do things like that, Logan. That was mean.” Her voice held a hint of amusement.

Logan revealed himself and Ororo could see the grin despite the shadow cast by his Stetson. “Just screwing wit’ ‘im, ‘Ro. How else is he gonna know yer taken?”

“Taken? Well, it appears I may be out of the loop on that, as well, Logan.”

Stepping closer to her, Logan tipped his hat back to meet her eyes. His voice was low and deep as he spoke to her, “Darlin’ trust me when I say you’ll be the first to know when I’ve taken ya.”

Ororo closed her eyes as she felt his voice envelop her and caused color to rise to her cheeks.

“Why, ‘Ro, I never knew you blushed.” His voice returned to its previous lighter tone.

Ororo decided to join in his game. She closed the distance between them even more, their breaths intermingling. She smiled inwardly when she saw Logan tense and gulp silently. She maintained eye contact as she drew her mouth nearer, changing course at the last minute. She whispered seductively into his ear.

“I never had a reason to.”

This time it was Logan’s eyes which closed as he enjoyed the sensations her nearness was causing. A low purr began in his chest as he leaned closer.

Ororo chose that moment to step back and watch the man before her.

“Why, Logan, I never knew you purred.”

Logan’s eyes snapped open and he was met with Ororo’s beautiful smiling face.

“Yer a mean one, ‘Ro, mean.”

She chuckled softly as she returned to her previous task of gathering her belongings.

“Yer not gonna open yer gift?”

“I was planning to do so later, in a more appropriate location.” She spoke as she zipped her bag and shrugged on her shoes.

“Why’s that?”

“Two reasons, actually. First, I am most certain that opening that box would extend us past the five-minute exit plan Scott has enacted. And second, the gift was not addressed to Dream, it was addressed to Ororo Munroe. My cover’s been blown.”


Thirty minutes later, Scott and Jean’s loft…

“I still say we take the box back to the Blackbird to open it,” Scott stated.

“Relax, Scooter. My nose is better’n any bomb-sniffing dog any day of the week. And my hearing ain’t too bad, either. I told ya, there’s no bomb inside.”

“And we’ve already run the hand held scanner, too, Scott.”

“I know, Jean, but-“

“Scooter. Shut it.”

Realizing he was losing this battle, Scott shrugged his shoulders and placed his hand to his visor, ready to blast the box if anything was amiss when Ororo opened it. Ororo removed the bow and gold wrapping slowly. Her face held no apprehension as she removed the lid.

“Roses. Eleven long-stemmed roses.” She removed the card from the bottom of the box, reading the elegant script.

“She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impair'd the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent.”

“Lord Byron and beautiful roses. Whoever this guy is, he has good taste,” Jean offered.

“The card bears no signature or name,” Ororo noted.

“So, there’s nothing else in the box? How do we know it’s even from our guy? Anyone could’ve sent those to you, ’Ro. In which case, we’ve got to figure out how your cover was blown.” Scott felt the need to be rational, ruling out no possibilities.

“Scott, I am sure this is from our gentleman. Please, trust me on this. ”

“And as far as how her cover was blown, ya can thank yerself, Scooter. Me an’ ‘Ro have psi-blocks that keep even Chuck out. Yers, I’m not so sure ‘bout,” Logan grumbled from the corner.

Scott knew Logan was right; he wasn’t always on guard while in the club. He was too preoccupied with watching out for Ororo. His psyche could have easily been compromised.

“Dammit, I’m sorry, Ororo. I must’ve lost my concentration.”

“It is quite alright, Scott. Maybe this is exactly what needed to happen,” Ororo reassured him.

“So, what’s our next move, then?”

“I think it’s time we give him what he wants.” Ororo spoke the obvious answer.

“Finally.”

“Can it, Scott” Jean’s request was unheard as Scott continued.

“I’ve been saying we should move in for months now, but, noo-oo-oo. No one listens to Scott. I am co-leader, you know?” There was no stopping him at this point. He had shifted from self-chastising to damn near angry that it took this long to see things his way.

Jean rolled her eyes at his mini-tirade. “Scott, we’ve explained why it was so important to wait.”

“Oh, yes, the ol’ ‘dangling the carrot’ theory. Whose brilliant idea was that? So, after nearly six months, now you think its time to make our move? Well, it’s about time you all finally joined this mission.”

Ororo raised her brow at Scott’s unexpected outburst. “Scott, your hysterics are duly noted, but wholly unnecessary. We will reconvene in the morning to exact a plan. I’m afraid this day has been full and I must retire. Jean, I trust you will enlighten Scott on our strategy.”

Jean nodded slowly as she stood behind Scott. “Oh, yeah, I’ll enlighten him, all right.”

Ororo had intended to bid Logan a good night before leaving, only to realize he no longer occupied the loft with them. When did he leave? She frowned and left Jean and Scott to their own devices.

Scott locked the door after Ororo left and turned to find his fiancée facing him with arms folded and a scowl on her beautiful face.

“What?”

“Oh, nothing. I just hope you don’t mind ‘dangling your carrot’ out here on the sofa, ‘cause that’s where you’re sleeping tonight.”

“Jean, you can’t be serious. I was only speaking as leader when I said that stuff. It’s in the best interest of the mission to get his over with quickly.”

“And I’m speaking as the fiancée who happened to come up with the ‘brilliant idea’ to wait this guy out.”

“…Damn.”

“Yep. And just so you don’t catch a case of my ‘dunce-itis’, I think it’s best you sleep out here on the sofa. Just to be on the safe side.”


Two blocks over…

Ororo landed soundlessly on the roof of her building. She stared into the clear night sky as she spoke, seemingly to no one in particular.

“In some cultures, people consider it rude to exit a meeting without so much as a word.”

No response.

“You know I have unending patience, Logan. Is this really the game you wish to play?”

Still no response.

“Very well, then. You can remain here, hidden in the shadows and sulking. I’ll just sit here and wait, Logan. But, I won’t wait very long; I have a big day planned tomorrow.”

Ororo had only taken two steps toward the ledge when Logan’s gruff voice spoke from the shadows on the roof.

“Who the hell says I’m sulking?”

“What else would a man do in the comfort of the shadows?” she asked, facing the shadows as she sat on the ledge.

Although he had yet to reveal himself, Ororo could see the moonlight reflect off Logan’s eyes. She sat gently on the ledge, opting to wait him out. Logan could see her every move with great detail, given his enhanced sight. Ororo was the epitome of regality and grace; she perched atop the ledge as comfortably and poised as a Queen would sit on a throne. His heart rate sped up just by watching her. Dammit.

More minutes of silence hung between the two. Ororo was true to her word of being a patient woman.

“What’re we doin’ here, ‘Ro?” He chose to remain in the shadows.

“Attempting to have a conversation, I presumed.” Although she would not admit it, she was beginning to grow tired of Logan’s refusal to join her out in the moonlight. However, she never betrayed her thoughts, she merely crossed her right leg over her left and rested both hands on her knee.

Damn. Logan cursed internally as he could feel something rising within him at the sight Ororo presented. She looked so inviting that way, the moonlight dancing off her platinum hair and mocha skin. Oh, yeah, something was rising, all right. Something…primal.

She’s got a knack for rearranging the space in a guy’s pants.


“Ya know what I mean, ‘Ro. Dammit, who are we really kiddin’ here? Me an’ you, we’re as diff’rent as night and day. I mean, this’ll never work. Might as well quit while we’re ahead.”

Ororo’s brow furrowed as she tried to follow the path that led them from discussing the mission at Scott and Jean’s to ending their yet-to-be-defined relationship.

“I’m sorry, Logan, I do not follow where this is coming from.”

“See what I mean, we’re on two diff’rent pages. It ain’t gonna get any easier. Hence, quitting while we’re ahead.”

Thoroughly piqued at Logan’s behavior and their conversation, Ororo narrowed her eyes into two slits. She folded her arms under her bosom for good measure. A small chuckle passed her lips before she spoke.

“You are afraid.”

Logan made a small sound of disgust in his throat, still hidden in the shadows.

“The indomitable Wolverine, afraid of “ “

Ororo’s words were cut off by a low growl from the shadows. Low, but just as dangerous as a full fledged roar. “Watch it, ‘Ro.”

The challenge had been thrown down the minute she stepped onto the roof; there was no need to back down now.

“Okay, then why don’t you tell me what has you so afraid, Logan?”

“I ain’t afraid of shit!” Ororo flinched slightly as she heard his gruff rebuttal.

Rising to her full height, Ororo knew her next words had to be chosen carefully, or Logan would run out on not only their conversation, but on THEM. She cocked her head slightly to the left and stared directly into the area she assumed his eyes would be. Time seemed to stand still as she spoke.

“Chicken. Shit.”

Things moved really fast from that point. One minute, she was standing near the roof’s ledge and the next, Logan leapt from the shadows and pinned her to the rooftop. Her chest heaved as deeply as his as she fought to rein in her temper.

“Who tha hell ya callin’ chickenshit, darlin’?”

Gone was the brilliant silver of Logan’s eyes, replaced by the amber hue of the Wolverine. He had chosen to answer her challenge instead of Logan. Ororo could feel her own control slipping over her mutation and the white glow beginning to cloud over her eyes.

“Logan, I tolerated your insistence to converse from the shadows. I will not tolerate conversing whilst pinned to the rooftop.”

Although her voice was steady, it held a lethal edge to it. That only served to engage the Wolverine further. He answered with a low growl and drove his claws into the roof, effectively caging her in. Ororo’s anger was so great that she didn’t have a chance to feel the usual uneasiness that signaled her claustrophobia was engaged. The winds picked up around them and small sparks of electricity danced from her eyes.

“Move.”

More growling, which she assumed meant ”no.” Just as she was about to unleash a bolt of lightning into his unguarded rear, a thought occurred to Ororo. As she reined in her control over the elements and her temper, she allowed her eyes to return to their normal cerulean hue. She took a chance and gently cupped Wolverine’s face, looking him directly in the eye.

“You do not scare me, so stop trying to.”

She could see that she had succeeded in confusing the Wolverine as his brow furrowed momentarily before he issued another low growl.

“I know what you’re trying to prove and this will not work. We’re not that different, you and I. I can be just as dangerous as you, remember. I am Storm, Mistress of the Elements.”

She demonstrated this by letting her mutation take full control. The winds picked up noticeably and rain began to pelt his back, the lightning dancing across the night sky was mirrored in her eyes. Then, just as soon as it began, it stopped.

“Now, Wolverine, if you do not mind, Ororo would like to speak with Logan.” She folded her arms over her chest as much as she could in the confined space and waited.

Logan could feel the Wolverine still fighting for dominance. He shook his head repeatedly and breathed deeply, trying to calm the beast. Once he felt he had regained control, he opened his eyes to see Ororo staring up at him. Her blue eyes nearly took his breath with their brilliance. His stance relaxed from attack to casual as he braced himself on knees and forearms on either side of Ororo.

“Dangerous game ya played, ‘Ro.”

“I play no games, Logan. Now, are we going to talk like people or fight like mutants?”

“Talkin’s good. Fer now.”

“That also means we either sit or stand like civilized people,” she added, indicating their precarious position on the rooftop.

“Nah, I like this way better,” Logan responded with a gleam in his eye.

“Logan.”

“Alright, alright. You sure know how to knock the wind outta a guy’s sails.” He sat back on his haunches as Ororo rose and leaned on her arms for support, choosing to remain seated on the rooftop.

“Now, what was said at tonight’s meeting to trigger this outburst?”

Logan found he couldn’t reply to her question, feeling silly for even allowing such a thing to bother him.

“Ah, more of the silent treatment. Very well, we shall wait.” She crossed her arms and gave him a hard look.

Exhaling heavily, Logan surprised her by speaking so soon. “Did ya like that poem?”

“Logan, what does this have to do with”“

“Just answer the question, ‘Ro. Please.” Logan himself was surprised by the vulnerability in his voice.

Ororo noticed it, as well. “I suppose I did. But, Logan, you already know I like those types of things.”

“’Ro, I don’t speak fancy like that and I don’t wax poetic. I mean, I’m sure I can if I want to, but I’d rather cut the through all the bull, ya know?”

“I know all this, Logan.”

He silenced her with a pleading look in his eyes. He chose that moment to sit directly across from her, his legs folded beneath him. Ororo sensed he was working his way to something important and acquiesced to his request. Logan ran a hand down his face, took one more deep breath, and looked her squarely in the eye.

“I’m in love with ya, ‘Ro.”

Well, that is most unexpected, she thought. She was sure her eyes had doubled in size at his statement.

“Now, I know we ain’t even been on a date, yet. Hell, I’m still trying to come up with a way to define ‘unexpected.’ I been wracking my brain with a way to wine and dine ya to show ya how I feel. Then, tonight ya get those flowers and the poem”I realized I can’t be that kind of man. The kind of man you need and deserve, all refined-like. That’s why I left Scooter and Jeannie’s place. I started thinking ‘bout all kinds of crap. You like the theater. I like movies. You like opera. I don’t. You like fine wines and French Food. I like beer and French Fries. Do I need to keep goin’?”

“No.”

Logan rose to his feet, shoulders slumped in defeat. Without another word, he began to walk toward the fire escape.

“I never asked you to be that man, Logan.” Her words stopped him in his tracks. In fact, he did not move another step, paralyzed by the weighted statement.

“Never have I asked you to change, Logan. Never have I asked you to do one thing that would make you uncomfortable. Never have I asked you to be anyone but Logan. That is the man I have fallen in love with, no one else.”

Logan could feel the heat emanating off her body as she came to a stop directly behind him. Her warm breath tickled the hairs on his neck. Still, he was too afraid to turn and face her. He was afraid that if he did turn around she would laugh in his face for his stupid insecurities. Ororo surprised him be wrapping one arm over his shoulder and the other around his waist. It was as if she was enveloping him with her love. He could also feel her trembling as she held him. Logan placed his hands over hers and leaned into her embrace, nuzzling his cheek with hers.

“Damn, darlin’. I’m sorry for being a dumbass. I promise, I’ll work on it. But why are you shakin’, darlin’?”

“I was truly afraid you would walk out on us before we had a chance.”

“How can ya be so sure this’ll even work out, ‘Ro?”

“Because I have faith in us, Logan. More faith than you can believe.”

Logan turned in her arms and enveloped her in his own embrace. His hands came to rest on her hips as he stared deeply into her eyes.

“Guess I better stock up on my own faith, huh?”

Ororo slowly closed the distance between them, dropping her voice a tone lower and speaking through a slow smile. “As I said, my patience is unending.”

Logan’s sharp intake of air was coupled with the dilating of his pupils. He was surprised to find his own voice had dropped an octave.

“Like I said before, in my world, ‘unexpected’ is a good thing.”

Logan closed the space between them even more and licked his lips in anticipation. Ororo’s eyes narrowed as she could feel their breaths intermingling. When she spoke, her voice was a sultry whisper.

“Logan, something’s happening.”

“You can say that again, darlin’.”

“No, Logan. Something is happening.”

“Darlin’, I told ya, I’m trying to get something going right now. Now hold still so I can kiss ya.”

Ororo stopped Logan with her hands on his chest. Her voice was tight and urgent, however, it still sounded like sex to Logan’s ears. His grip tightened on her waist and his hips reflexively bucked.

“Logan, focus. Smell the air.”

Logan finally registered what she was saying and obeyed. Sniffing the air, he cursed himself for being so careless.

Dammit! Focus, bub. Being careless can get you and ‘Ro killed.

“Stop chastising yourself. How do you want to handle this?”

Sniffing the air again, Logan realized the scents were vaguely familiar but he couldn’t place them. “Five of’em, and they stink to hell. We can do this with our eyes closed, darlin’. I don’t even need the Wolverine for this.”

“Six.”

“What?”

“There’s six people, not five.” Ororo stated matter-of-factly.

Logan narrowed his eyes in disbelief.

“’Ro, the nose don’t lie. If I said there’s five, then there’s five. Now, I’m gonna circle around and come from the shadows over here. You take to the skies. We’ll ambush ’em.”

Ororo raised a brow. As co-captain she was usually the one giving commands. Pick your battles, Ororo.

“All right, Logan. But I still say there are six.”

Logan made sure she heard his low growl before releasing her. He fled to the shadows while Ororo took to the skies as ordered.

Once she had reached her position, Ororo whispered and carried her voice on the winds to Logan. She knew he would hear.

“Logan. We will finish what we started.”

Damn right we will, darlin’.

::SNIKT:: Ready and waitin’.

Several minutes later, Logan could hear muffled voices whispering. Sounded like they were arguing.

Damn clowns. Too easy.

“*Oomph* I don’t see why we had to climb the freaking ladder. It’s twenty stories, for crying out loud!”

“Shut up! And keep moving. Your ass is in my face!”

“Both of you shut it! The X-File didn’t say anything about climbing a fire ladder in this mission.”

“Quiet. All of you.” Hm, where do I know that accent from?

“Hey, don’t think we’re afraid of you ‘cause your all big and stuff.” Suddenly Logan heard muffled curses and several “oomphs.”

“When I said I wanted to get up here fast, I didn’t think you would throw us, dumbass.”

Logan’s eyes narrowed as he finally registered the scents and voices. He was about to step from the shadows when he heard Ororo’s voice on the wind.

Wait, Logan. I say we teach them a lesson. Danger Room scenario Alpha2? I will summon Jean and Scott. Oh, and Logan?

Yeah?

Six. Just like I said.

Grrrr……

Logan’s smile was ear to ear as he lowered himself to the rooftop, hiding even deeper in the shadows.

“Ahright, we’re heyah. Now what?”

“Duh, we shadow the X-men and help when needed. Only they won’t know it.”

“Shadow the X-Men without them knowing? These are the X-Men we’re talking about. Who approved this plan?”

“Shove it, Icicle!”

As the six would-be secret agents continued to argue on the rooftop, a red hue began to form before them.

“Uh, guys?”

“Not now, Jubes, I’m about to see if Icepop can put himself back together after I throw him off the roof.”

The winds began to pick up slightly as a light fog slowly encircled them. The red light had grown to encase the entire rooftop. A grating metal scraping could be heard in the distance.

“What the fu-“

“Ali!”

“Whatever, guys. What the hell is all this, HalloweenTown?”

“I-I don’t know. There was nothing about this in the file.”

Ororo appeared out of nowhere and landed with a thud on the rooftop.

“Children! What are you doing here?! The mission has gone awry. I can’t fight them all by myself.”

“Fight who, femme?”

“Me, bub.” Wolverine appeared from the shadows, his shirt torn to shreds and his eyes glowing red. His chest heaved as his teeth gleamed in the moonlight.

“Oh, no! They’ve gotten to Logan, too!”

“What d’yah mean, Storm?” Rogue asked as she helped her friend and leader to her feet.

“Magneto ambushed us and had his telepath turn the other X-Men against me. I’ve been fighting them off for days. Scott and Jean are dead.”

All color drained from Bobby’s face. “Holy crap.”

“Run, children, run!”

“No, we fight with you Storm,” Peter offered as he shifted to his metallic state.

“Good, Tin Man, I’m gonna enjoy this. After him, you’re next, Windrider.” Winking at Ororo, Wolverine’s eyes were golden as he salivated at the thought of a fight.

Peter swallowed thickly, “Katya, if I die…run!”

“No, Logan, it’s me, Marie. Yah can’t do this. Fight it!”

Growl. “Don’t wanna.”

Suddenly, five sentinels appeared from nowhere and surrounded the group on the rooftop.

“Sentinels! We’re going to die!” Alison’s normally cool façade was long gone.

“Well, if we must die, then we shall go out fighting. Logan, stand down or I will have no choice.” Ororo’s voice was hard as steel.

Wolverine slowly advanced; Ororo responded by allowing her mutation to slip. Her eyes white and dancing with lightning, she called upon the elements and struck Wolverine with a massive lightning bolt. His body was thrown clear off the roof, dropping twenty stories to the ground.

Marie tried to stop it all. “Ororo! Logan! Nooooo!!!!”

“Cher, he’s gone. Now we best focus on these Sentinels or we be joinin’ ’em.” Remy attempted to console her.

The warning was too late. The Sentinels had closed in and they were cornered.

“Storm, what do we do?!” Jubilee’s screams could barely be heard over the chaos surrounding them.

Storm rose to the heavens, lightning dancing from her eyes to her fingertips. Her voice was eerily calm as she spoke.

“The only thing you can do, children. Tell me why you’re here.”

They all appeared baffled by the odd question.

“W-w-what? I don’t think this is the time to discuss this!” Kitty screamed over the melee.

“What better time to discuss it, cupcake?” Logan’s voice grumbled from behind them.

“L-L-Logan, I thought you were dead!”

“Do I look dead to you, Ice Cream?” Logan’s voice was as calm as ever. ::SNIKT:: The claws were back. “Now, spill.”

“We hacked into the X-Frame computer and got the mission files! The Professor never tells us anything!” Jubilee was a basket case at this point.

“Calm yourself, Jubilation Lee.” Ororo’s voice was warm as she spoke.

“Calm?! Calm?! We’re about to die, Logan has turned on us, and Miss Grey and Mr. Summers are dead! How can I be calm?!”

“Because it’s not real, Jubilee.” Scott’s voice was heard in the mist.

The Sentinels disappeared into thin air as the fog dissipated to reveal Scoot and Jean. Logan and Ororo joined their two teammates and faced the six juveniles. Ororo stepped to the forefront, her blues eyes sparkling with reprimand. The teens were drenched in sweat and tears as their chests all heaved. They all looked as if they had gone through the ringer and back.

“Now, as I asked before, why are you here?”

The four X-Men never received an answer as all six teens collapsed as if on cue.

“Well, damn. Now we gotta cart their asses downstairs?”





You must login () to review.