Ororo’s loft….

“Well, no time like tha present ta take a vacation, I say,” Logan replied nonchalantly.


Logan was on the receiving end of eight shocked pairs of eyes and one mildly amused cerulean pair.

“Logan, this is hardly the time for jokes,” Scott stated.

“What I think he is saying, Scott, is that we need a change of scenery to plan our next move. We need to adapt with this situation,” Ororo explained.

Logan rewarded her with a slow smile and wink. Smart girl, he thought.

“I say you guys should change up the personnel. Say…me and Remy should probably take point at that ‘Heavenly Bodies’ club and give you Mr. Summers a rest, Logan,” Bobby offered while Remy gave him the signal for thumbs up.

Marie and Alison chose that moment to turn and face their respective beaus. Marie leveled Remy with glare from her green eyes, Alison opted for the more direct approach”direct, as in a punch to the gut. Remy’s smirk soon disappeared and he gave Marie a hopeful smile. Bobby, on the other hand, was presently doubled over in pain. Logan didn’t even try to hide his amusement at Alison’s response.

“Children, now, there is no need for violence” Ororo said, the humor in her voice belying the attempt at reprimand.

“I dunno, ‘Ro. A lil’ violence ev’ry now an’ then don’t hurt anybody. Well, ‘cept maybe Icepop here,” Logan said through the smile that was presently residing on his face.

Everyone in the room, except for Bobby of course, chuckled at Logan’s comment. Scott was the first to recover and immediately switched back into leader-mode.

“All right, Logan…what’s our next move, then?”

“Like I said, Scooter, time fer a little vacation.”



Next day, club ‘Heavenly Bodies’…

“Whaddya mean, vacation, Dream?!” Veasy’s combed-over piece of hair seemed to lift higher with every word.

“Just as I said, Mr. Veasy. I would like to take some time off for rest. I have worked at this establishment for several months without a break. I should think I have earned one, wouldn’t you agree?”

“B-b-but what about the customers? They love ya’! What’ll I say when they show and you’re not here?”

“Tell them whatever you desire; I will return at the end of next week.”

“Dream…I-I-I don’t know if I can let you go for two whole weeks.” Veasy was nervous as he spoke. Although he couldn’t say why, Dream always made him a little nervous…and extremely horny. There was something about here eyes and how she always seemed so calm. Nobody can be that calm all the time, he thought.

“Mr. Veasy, you misunderstand me. I was not asking for permission. I was simply giving you the courtesy of a notification.”

Veasy’s next words were cut off as he realized he was standing on the opposite end of the infamous icy glare. He had only been victim to it once, but he had seen several of his bouncers receive a similar response. Logan contained the growl that threatened to erupt from his chest. He was currently leaning against the wall outside Veasy’s office, waiting for Ororo to emerge. Even though he could clearly hear that Ororo had the situation well in hand, he could still feel the beast clawing to get out and protect its mate.

Mate?! What tha hell? One minute, we’re feeling our way through things, now she’s my mate? Shaking his head to get rid of the wayward thought, Logan again focused on the occupants of the room.

“Look, Dream, whaddya say we agree to four days, instead?”

Ororo decided she had grown tired of this conversation and grabbed her purse before heading to the door to exit the office.

“As I stated, Mr. Veasy. It was not a request.”

Ororo was met on the other side of the door by Logan’s stoic face, his eyes zeroed in on Veasy just over her right shoulder. She recognized the look in his eyes”he was straining to keep the beast at bay. Before he could act his urges, she placed a hand to his chest in a calming matter. Steel gray met sapphire as Logan locked eyes with Ororo.

Mate don’t sound so bad.

She gave a slight shake of her head; her eyes remained locked on his as she spoke to Veasy, her voice brooking no argument.

“Mr. Veasy, I am sure you can survive for two weeks without my presence. Just spend the time counting all the excess money that has been coming in since my debut.” She broke eye contact with Logan long enough to cast Veasy a glance over her shoulder.
“After all, I would hate to see you lose so much if I decided to work elsewhere.”

Veasy nearly choked on the stub of a cigar that seemed to be ever-present in the right corner of his mouth. His eyes bugged slightly as he processed her last statement.

Lose the dame, lose the money. It can’t be that hard to figure out, Leon! Veasy could hear the rational part of his mind scream at him. His mouth opened and closed twice but no words came. Shut it before you lose this prize, moron!

By the time Veasy completed his inner dialogue, Logan and Ororo had nearly reached the hallway which would lead them to the rear exit. Obviously, Dream had no intention of changing her mind. Veasy could literally see dollar bills walking out the door.

“Uh, Dream…on second thought, take two weeks vacation!” he yelled to their retreating frames.

Ororo turned and gave him a small nod of acknowledgement. Then she and her companion were gone as quickly as they came.

Veasy scratched his balding head as he immediately starting thinking of ways to tide his customers over until the return of Dream. Suddenly, both of his bushy brows rose as he had an idea. The perfect idea, to be exact.

“That’s it! ’Countdown to the return of Dream’. I’ll tease them, a few days at a time. Oh boy, the fellas’ll be beating down the doors by the time she comes back. And think of all the dough they’ll spend.” Veasy rubbed his hands in anticipation as he scurried back to his office, his step a little lighter than before.





You must login () to review.