Somewhere between packing her back, booking the motel room as a ‘just in case,’ and finding the information she needed to present to Laurel at the bank; she contemplated bringing Logan with her for the emotional support.

Their talk on the Monday got her thinking; and since Hank was back from DC Hank could have babysat.

No; this was something that she had to do on her own.

There were just somethings you had to do on your own.

~ ~ ~

Wednesday morning, Ororo “Storm” Munroe walked to the reception desk of the First National bank that she was directed to go to over the phone on Monday and asked the modelesque blond girl with the exotic accent that if she could speak to Laurel and that she had an appointment.

Ten minutes after meeting with the receptionist; a short stalky woman; with a hair cut too short to fit her sweet chubby looking face, and raven black hair came out of her office. Wearing a dark red business suit and too high heels that was made it obvious that she couldn’t walk in. If Ororo had to guess she Laurel didn’t look to be that much older then Katherine Pryde at the mansion which was a little strange, considering she introduced herself on the phone as the new bank manager; Laurel came over with a big genuine smile on her scarlet colored painted lips “Ororo? Hi I’m Laurel, its nice to finally meet you.” She shook the hand of the headmistress, “Is it okay if I call you that? Am I saying it right? I’ve been practicing.” She grinned rather proud of herself.

Ororo smiled; “yes, yes its fine; and you are pronouncing it perfectly.” She held up the manila folder “so, uhm, where are we going to do this?”

Laurel smiled “in my office, I’m sorry if I come off nervous; I’m not usually. Its my first week on the job and I’m still trying to get used to things. So its a little odd for me to be handling an account this large. Would you like me to take your jacket? Would you like a bottle of water or anything.”

They walked into the small office with a fairly decent view of Broadway and seventh. Ororo smiled and took off her own navy blue blazer but slipped it on her chair behind her: “Well congratulations, I hope it won’t be too difficult for you. As for the water and the jacket, thanks for the offer, but I’m fine.” The headmistress handed the bank manager the file and caught a glimpse of what looked to be a pink paw print tattoo on Laurel’s wrist, “That’s cute.” She pointed to the tattoo that was slightly peeking out of the girl’s blouse sleeve.

Laurel blushed and fixed her sleeve but thanked Ororo for noticing; “okay everything looks to be in order, here.” Suddenly getting down to business; as if a switch was turned on.

“You are indeed the executrix of Mr. Xavier’s will; did I already give you my condolences on your loss?”

Ororo nodded and thanked her again.

Laurel smiled; “okay the account seems to be in two names; and we have explicit instructions that either men need to be in the room when the safety deposit box is open.”

Ororo breathed a sigh and prepared herself, please don’t let it be Scott,“can you tell me who the other person on the account is so I can contact them?”

Laurel nodded, “Because you are one half of the party, I can tell you, that the other name is: David Munroe. Would you know how to get a hold of him? I have an address for him, its located in-”

“Harlem.”

“Yes, how did you know?”

“B..b..because he’s my father.”

Laurel gave half a smile; “So you just need to bring in your father, and...”

Ororo shook her head; “my father is dead. He has been for a very long time.” She put her hand to her head “this doesn’t make any sense. My father didn’t know Charles Xavier..I...”

Laurel frowned; “perhaps it is a different David Munroe.”

“Could be possible.” Ororo’s head swam.

Laurel looked through the file folder for any answers that might have been able to help the exotic beauty; she pulled out a photo about the size of a passport photo “is this the man who you know?”

Ororo was shown a photo of a handsome clean shaven black man; and she was instantly brought back to times of her childhood, filled with laughter and love; “yes,” she swallowed the tears “this is my father.”
Laurel passed Ororo a kleenex and shut the file folder “Ororo, if you can bring me proof that your father has passed, and the executorexecutrix of his own estate, I can bring you in. But, I have to follow the instructions in the file.”

Ororo nodded, “He died over seas; the only other person who would be his executor would be,” she sighed “my mother.”

“Okay perfect.” She sounded hopeful.

Ororo shook her head; “she passed away with him. It was a..matter of...civil war.”

Laurel rubbed her tired eyes; “Jesus, I’m sorry.” She rubbed a hand through her short black hair; she liked this woman and wanted to do what she could to help her, but she had rules to follow; “okay, take a few days. Bring me the information that you can find about this David Munroe person, and I will see what I can do. Okay?”

Ororo nodded “Its been..twenty five years, I am not sure how much information I can find.” Her head still reeled over the news that her father and her beloved professor had an account with each other; what else was hidden from her?

Laurel grabbed a bottle of water from the case by her feet and handed it to Ororo “try, okay? I am here all week. If you find anything. Call me, okay?”

Ororo nodded, “You mean like a death certificate or something?”

Laurel nodded and smiled “perfect. I’ll see if there is a loop hole on my end, as well, okay?”

Ororo smiled and shook the girl’s hand “thank you.” Ororo still in some sort of weird shock filled state, managed to make it back to her car and inside her hotel room without any major incidents.


She flopped down on the bed, after a hot shower; and didn’t hear anything on well past noon.





You must login () to review.