Laurel led Ororo back through the rest of the bank to the giant vault. She stopped before opening it “I am going to leave you into the vault, get you the safety deposit box, and set it on a table for you. Then I will leave you alone, with the contents for as much as you want or need. I can give you a bag if you want to keep anything for protection.”

“Protection.”

“For valuables.”

“Ah.”

“If you don’t want to take anything out, its one hundred dollars a month of keep the safety deposit box, with the account that Charles and your father had, any questions?”

Ororo played with her ear lobe and shook her head “n-no...”

Laurel nodded “very well,” she went to go open the large combination lock.

“W-wait.”

Laurel paused.

“Why aren’t you in there with me?”

“Mostly its because of privacy issues. I mean because of 9/11 I should be making sure that you don’t take out like blue prints of Washington D.C. or like Toronto or something, But, I’m going to be honest, you don’t pop up enough red flags for me to worry.”

“I should feel lucky, huh?”

“Let’s just say, I didn’t have to call the FBI or anything, so you’re good.

“Thanks.” The girls shared a smile, “I’ll be quick.

“I’ll be in the office; take as much time as you need.” Laurel opened the giant combination lock and they walked into the giant stainless steel, to the untrained eye the silver panels that gave the room a cold careless feel to the room looked, just like the silver panels you would see in the danger room, but to the bank manager. Each one was a secret little treasure chest that held people’s most dear secrets; and with her having the only combination. She was the gate keeper; she relished in knowing that.

They walked down hundreds of rows of the little silver rectangles, it would’ve been easy to get lost, at least for a good twenty minutes anyway.

It took all of Ororo’s strength to stop the thief inside of her from counting the steps.

They came into a little corridor with three steps leading down “we go down I take it?”

“We go down.”



Fifteen minutes later, Ororo and Laurel finally arrived at the row of boxes, where they would find the mutant’s. “sorry,” Laurel started, “we’re trying to incorporate a computer system into the vaults, but not all of it is up and running.”

Ororo was quiet, contemplative, scared. What the hell was in the box that she wouldn’t be able to know until now? Was Logan right? Did she have a sister or a brother somewhere? Notice that she was adopted, and N’Dare and David Munroe were not actually her parents? That would probably break her heart, something fierce. She took a cleansing breath.

Laurel hummed as she took the box out of its little opening and placed it on a table near by “I’ll leave you alone, now.” She rested a friendly hand on Ororo’s shoulder and quickly left.

Ororo didn’t go near the box, or the table. She stared at the stainless steel rectangle box and more questions swirled in her mind. I don’t have to open it now, I know the password. I can come back with Logan or Hank for moral support, An inner voice coaxed her gently.

Or you can be the warrior and Champion that you were trained to be, stop pussy-footin’ around and do it. What? You can save the world, but can’t open a fuckin’ box? The second voice that started to coax her was sounding an awfully lot like Logan, she hated that voice and his logic.

He’s right.

Is not.

Is too.

Shut up.

Open the box.

Traitor.

She shook her head so the arguing voices will stop, what will it take for you to open the box, Ororo? What would you tell your students to do?

If I kill you is it murder? Or suicide?

If you kill me..er...you. You won’t ever find out what’s in the box. And, you die never knowing cause your too weak to open the box.

That voice was getting mean, but its argument was winning ands he found herself walking towards the table with shaky hands.

Her small dainty, coffee colored hands rested upon the cool stainless steel and she pulled it closer to her taking a breath.

Wait!

The voice started again. The more it talked the more it did sound like Logan; she was waiting for him to pop out somewhere.

What?

Another voice popped up somewhere, she can’t believe voices were having full conversations in her head, maybe she really was going crazy.

Its a bomb! Heh heh. Sorry, just wanted to see what you’d do.

Normally I’d smack you but it’d hurt and I would look incredibly insane.

Don’t you already?

I’m opening the box.

Finally.

Shut up!





You must login () to review.