Her hands found the little button by the lid that made it pop up and she flipped the lid open, she sighed on top of everything else was a white envelope, it had her name written on it in familiar blocky chicken scratch and she smiled quietly, she never thought she’d see that writing ever again.

Her hand brushed over the envelope before she took it out and she held it in her hands, she turned it over in her hands and she slid a nail underneath it quietly ripping the top of he envelope open, she poured out the contents, it was a piece of lined paper from his legal pad on the desk. Dated a four years ago.



My Dearest Ororo;

Somehow I know that if you are reading this letter, I am not in that room with you.
This saddens me more than you know.
Not, because I am probably, more than likely dead.
But, because I can never again see your smiling face.
Or hearing your gentle laugh.

Your parents will be proud of you Ororo, I know that I should have told you sooner, about knowing them.
But, I had to keep that promise to your father.
You may not believe me, but I was one of the first people to hold you, You were a little bitty thing, with this snow white hair and these piercing blue eyes that managed to look into my soul.
Not much has changed my girl.

Maybe I should start from the beginning; I met your parents through my wife Moira.
She was quite involved in the civil rights movement and met your Father and Mother helping them escape a pack of quite angry German Shepherds.
They had hit it off famously, and your mother, N’Dare and my wife were quite inseparable.
Almost like you and Jean are now.

Let me tell you something, Ororo.
Despite me being a married man, and quite dedicated to my wife, until her death.
Your mother, was the most beautiful woman who has walked God’s green Earth.
I never thought I would ever see a woman as beautiful as she was until my own death.
Then again, I met you 14 years later, You are more like your mother every day, her friendship was a great honor to have.
Both of you parents had honored me with their friendship.
You do as well.
I don’t think I have ever had a chance to tell you that.
I am saddened, even more that I realized this.

I can tell you a million stories about N’Dare and David, Ororo, but I am not really here to right a book.
I probably could, though, it’d be a book about a loving couple who would do anything for their daughter and how, I didn’t even think it was possible, But, they became more loving when you came into this world.
You being born, was the first time I ever seen your father cry in the three years of friendship we had before your little arrival.
It wasn’t because he was sad, completely the opposite.
He had so much joy and love in his heart for his little Princess.
It was the only way he know how to express it.

A little part of me died, when I found out that your parents died, when they moved to Egypt. They moved, not because of the Job, Ororo, but because your parents wanted to keep you safe; from all the civil unrest in your own New York City.
I had once promised your parents, that if something were to happen to them, then Moira and myself would take you in like our own.
Imagine, my heartbreak when I found out about their violent passing and I couldn’t find you in Egypt?
Moira, until her death, and I spent every summer for 12 years looking for you my dear.
Imagine my happiness when you found me and stole my wallet.
Ha-ha.

I know this box should have been yours along time ago, but, it is yours know, I am not sure why I never gave it to you until now.
Apart of me guess I hoped that you would be able to get along without knowing your past; for the most part I was right.
I am sorry.
deeply, truly sorry.
I never should have not given you this box, Ororo, can you forgive an old diluted man who was just trying to protect you?

There isn’t a lot in this little box, to be honest, there is more in the estate.
I will tell you where in another letter.
Don’t worry, no more scavenger hunts.
I will tell you out right.

I know you never were one for material positions.
Your mother was the same, it’s funny though, because your father got it in his head somehow that he had to buy both of you the world.
He never realized that it was him who was her world. Both of you. Were her world.
There is not a lot in this little safety deposit box, after all they are rather quite small.
Just a few mementos that they wanted to make sure you have.
Photographs and the like, old diaries...
Well, look through it I know you want to.
You always were one for a bit of a mystery.

One more thing, before I go.
I loved you like you were my own, and seeing you grow up from this little malnourished orphan.
To a woman who is so gorgeous that words fail to describe.
I am proud of you.
Proud of the confident woman you become as Ororo Munroe, Proud of the leader in Storm.
But more importantly, I am proud that you seemed to find this perfect semblance of both Storm and Ororo in your life.
Your parents will be proud, Ororo Munroe.
I know I am.

~Charles.





You must login () to review.