She was glad that was where the letter had ended, because her eyes were so blurry from her unshed tears that was afraid that if their was any more. She wouldn’t be able to read it.

She sighed and sucked on her bottom lip as he put the letter down on the table and went through the rest of the of the box, she found:

A photo of her and her parents on their wedding day looking happy and beautiful. Every bit in love.

A photo of her about three, her hair down in her back in a water fall of white, she was wearing what looked like to be one of her father’s t-shirts with a belt as a dress and a plastic tiara, she was sitting on her father’s shoulders he was showing her a piece of fruit on the tree in front of them.

Diaries from her mother “Dear Diary, today, I felt my child move in my womb for the first time” Ororo read aloud “on the outside I rest my hand on my stomach and it feel like butterflies kissing my hand, on the inside, it feels like..well it feels like I got kicked in the ribs.”

Ororo smiled despite the tears in her eyes “I never knew it was possible to love someone so much, and I have never met them yet. I cannot wait for David to come home so he can enjoy this as well.” She finished the passage.

A candid shot of Moira, David, N’Dare and Charles at some sort of protest.

A newspaper clipping of...she squinted to see the photo better. It looked to be her sitting on her father’s shoulders again, couldn’t have been more than about one. “who is that speaking?”
she tried to get a better look at the man who was standing at the podium. Obviously having the crowd rivited. She read the article “Martin Luther King?!” she gasped “Oh Wow!” she read the caption “It looks like everyone supports Martin Luther King’s dream, One year old Ororo Munroe with her father David and friend Charles listens intently” she smiled “heh.”

A few more trinkets, a necklace, another diary, a few personal photos, one of Moira and Charles at Christmas, Ororo sitting on Charles’ lap her hands covered is something sticky. The mischievous look in Ororo’s eye you could tell that she wanted to do something to that silk tie Charles was wearing “oh no.” she giggled “I hope I didn’t do anything too bad.” She talked to herself.

She found another letter in a white envelope, this one yellowed with age, she paused at this one, she didn’t recognize the writing, but, something told her to open it. damn voices.
She ran a fingernail under the flap and slid out the yellowed paper, again from age and she sighed.

It was written by her father. Two days before their death. She read:





Dear daughter I tiptoed to your room tonight
And I looked down at you smiling in your sleep
You were so lovely my heart nearly broke.

And I thought how very much like sleeping beauty a little girl is
When I tuck you in at night I never know how old you'll be when you wake
One evening you crawl on your dad's lap and throw your arms around his neck
The next morning you might be much too grownup for that sort of thing.

You're so quickly approachin' my awkward age
Too young to drive a car and yet too old to be carried
Into the house half asleep on daddy's shoulder
I have a secret that I've never told you Sleeping Beauty.

You're going on a very exciting trip
You'll travel from yesterday all the way to tomorrow
It's a rapid journey and you'll travel light
Leavin' behind your measles mumps freckles bumps bubblegum and me.

I promise not to feel too hurt when you discover
That the world is more important than your daddy's lap
Yesterday you were blue-jeaned and pig-tailed the neighborhood's best tree-climber
Tomorrow you'll be blue-organdie and ponny-tailed
And you'll view the world from a loftier perch a pair of high-heel shoes.

Yesterday you could mend a doll's broken leg with a hug
Tomorrow you'll be able to break a young man's heart with a kiss
Ha ha yesterday you could get lost one aisle away from me in a supermarket
Now I have to worry about losin' you down another aisle to some strange young man.

You see just at the point where your growing pains stop mine begin
Yesterday you were kind of a pain in the neck when you were around
Tomorrow you'll be an ache in my heart when you're not
Tomorrow you'll lay aside your jumprope and tie up the telephone lines.

And that little boy that used to push you in the mud
Well he'll fight to set out a dance with you.

The clock upstairs is countin' the minutes for you
And the sky upstairs is savin' its brightest stars
And the sun is waitin' with its shinest day.


Oh I can't expect you to live in a dollhouse forever
Sooner or later the butterfly sheds its cocoon and the smallest bird must try its wings.

But when you grow up and out of my arms when you finally get too big for my shirts
I'll still recall how you used to scatter dust and dolls.

And partially through every room in the house but you spread sunshine too
The dust is settled your mom picked up the dolls
But the sunshine will always fill the corners of our hearts.

So here I am talkin' in your sleep
Because well if you saw this look on my face you'd laugh
And if I spoke with this lump in my throat I'd cry.

Yeah honey when I looked at you tonight you were a Sleeping Beauty
So I tiptoed over and I kissed you, you didn't wake up I knew you wouldn't
According to the legend only the handsome young prince can open your eyes
And I'm just the father of a future bride.

So you sleep on pretty thing tomorrow you'll awake and you'll be a young lady
And you won't even realize that you've changed courses in the middle of a dream
But you might notice this little change in me.

I look a little different somehow a little sadder a little wiser but a whole lot richer
Tonight I kissed a princess and I feel like a king.


“Love Daddy.” She read the last bit out loud and openly sobbed. He talked about what he saw in the future, with her and David Munroe never had a chance to see it. She never had a chance to live it. She wondered how her childhood would’ve been growing up with David and N’Dare, or hell even with Moira and Charles. Would it have been better than living on the streets, Hmmm...more than likely.

Tears started to hit the aged paper and she held the letter close to her chest, a million questions whirled around in her head they all pointed to Charles Xavier and she couldn’t ask him any of them. She cried harder for the Questions that’ll never get answered. her dead friend. her dead parents. the closure she’ll never receive. The Questions she would never get answered.

She quickly packed the items from the safety deposit box into the bag that was provided from Laurel and she put the box back into the cavity where it belonged and made her way out of the vault. Ready to go home.


~ ~ ~


It was three in the morning before she reached the estate, in upstate New York. She made inside quietly, as to not to wake anyone up.

Instead of going up stairs to her room she went back into her office and quickly found the rest of the mementoes that Charles said were in the mansion in the first letter.

They were easy to find once she realized that she had to think like that them.

‘You always were one for a bit of a mystery.’ There was one mystery novel on Charles bookshelf, she went to it and opened it. Sure enough it was a false book and a key was inside.

The key and a piece of paper that said ‘if you are mother nature, this father will definitely be on your side’ so much for no more scavenger hunts.

It was an easy clue anyway, it was the key to the back of the grandfather clock.

Sure enough another safety deposit box was in the safety deposit box, she always wondered why that the time on that clock never moved. She never thought to ask.

At 4:30 Logan came down the stairs looking for a class of water, and he found her sitting on the living room floor, pictures and books scattered around her. She was intently reading something.

“‘Ro?”

She jumped, “Goddess!”

“Heh, sorry.”

“It is okay, Logan. Did I disturb you?”

“Nah, just came down for a drink,” He moved himself into the living room and looked at some of the items on the floor “what’s all this?”

She told him.

“Wow, so, he knew yer parents all this time?” He sat down on the floor across from her, picking up a photo of her as a toddler, and he smiled.

She nodded “seems so.”

“Shit.”

“Hmm..”

“‘Ro?”

“hmm?”

“Tell me about them? if ya want to I mean.” He shrugged.

She smiled “My mother was born...” she started.

He listened.


--END--





You must login () to review.