“Get a room you two. “Ororo said upon walking into the living room to find her parents cuddling on the sofa. She smiled at the way they guiltily sprang apart.

“I was beginning to think you weren’t coming down.” Teased Maurice Munroe as he stood with open arms towards her. Ororo quickly rushed into his warm embrace.

“And miss welcoming you home? Not a chance.” After kissing his cheek, she beamed up at her him. Studying his features, she noticed small changes in his appearance. He looked more relaxed. More like his old self. The harsh worry lines were gone. The sparkle was back in his eyes. The trip had obviously done him some good.

Maurice Munroe in his early sixties was still a handsome man. With salt and peppered hair, he was of average built with a slight, rounded belly. His dark eyes showed his intellect and shrewdness that had gotten him through a hard childhood and later through law school to become a respected attorney. Taller by a few inches, his dark coloring complemented his wife’s fair skin. Together they made a striking couple.

“Does that mean you missed your old dad?”

“Of course. Since Remy is almost as good as me, I missed having someone to beat at chest.” Referring to their ongoing game in his office.

“ Well daughter prepare to be disappointed, because your old man has some new tricks up his sleeve.” He said giving her another bear hug.

Ororo laughed. “We’ll see about that, dad.” Taking a seat next to her mother.

“You maybe surprised Cherie, your father has been full of surprises lightly.” Ororo smiled at the look that transpired between them. If this keeps up they would be fine.

After N’dare miscarriage in her last trimester, her parents seemed to drift apart. Instead of the tragedy bringing them closer, it was tearing them apart. They’d weather things in the past but this time Ororo and Remy had been beside themselves with worry. Her parents fought constantly. It had gotten to the point where her parents couldn’t even stand being in the same room together. There was even talk of divorce. Thank god they had not given up.

“Alright you two stop ogling each other and tell me what you did on your trip. By the way dad, who is this Logan Howlett?”

“Impertinent pup. Logan’s the son of an old army buddy. His here on business. As far as the trip, I’ll leave that to your mother. I’m getting a drink. Anyone else want one?”

“I’ll have one.”

Ororo visiblely shook at the sound of Logan’s deep voice. They all turned as he walked in. brilliant blue eyes found her. Forcing their earlier encounter to the surface. Heat rushed to her face. Had he heard what they were discussing? She tried to tear her gaze away, but Logan in a dark dinner jacket, blue shirt and black trousers was compelling. His hair still wet from his shower, lay plastered to his head. The sensual lines of his lips were turned up into a sexy, beguiling smile. Earlier he could have easily graced the covers of playgirl, but now he looked like he stepped off the covers of GQ! He was the essence of masculinity.

The man was fine!

“Logan come in. Have a seat. What can I get you?” Maurice asked

“I’ll have whatever you’re having Maurice.”

“Settling in okay?” her father asked. Handing him a crystal glass with a dark liquid.

“Yes, thank you.” He replied before sitting in a chair across from them.

Logan glanced at the twin visions of mother and daughter. They both looked stunning. But it was Ororo who held his gaze. The beautifully poised and confident woman next to N’dare looked nothing like the bedraggled teenager or seductive siren of before. This Ororo in a little black dress was as poised and self-assured as her mother. And sexy as hell!

Her vivid eyes filled with laughter before, now held a guarded expression as they tried to avoid his. He almost laughed out loud as her eyes darted around before settling uneasily on him. Did she really think he would bring up their little encounter in front of her parents? If she were white he was certain her cheeks would be a flaming red right about now. Which would completely ruin the cool outer poise she was trying so hard to effect. Strangely the only think it was doing to him was making him wonder what scraps of lace lay beneath that dress.

Trouble. Pure and simple. He’d be a fool to let his guard down around her.

Ororo couldn’t take her eyes off Logan. Especially since every time she happened to glance in his direction he was already looking at her. His eyes seemed to burn into hers. Briefly she wondered if her parents could feel the mounting tension between them.

“Logan if you need anything, Ororo will be able to help you. Right honey?”

Guess not.

Struggling to regain some semblance of her composure, she groaned at her father’s words. Great! She was coming to the conclusion the further she stayed away from Logan the better and here was her dad practically throwing her at him! The last thing she wanted was to spend any time in his company, especially alone. From the look on Logan’s face he felt the same way too.

Fine by her.

“Actually dad…” she began, at the same time as Logan.

“That won’t be necessary……”

They looked at each other.” I’m sure Ororo already has plans. She doesn’t need to baby sit me too.”

“Nonsense. With school out, she has the entire summer ahead of her. She could take you around until you become familiar with the area.” Maurice insisted.

Just like her father to conveniently forget she would be busy with the school all summer. She loved him but sometimes he could be such an overbearing, tyrannical, Haitian male!

Ororo noticed the flash of annoyance, quickly masked, in Logan’s blue eyes. Seems Dr. Howlett was determined to keep his distance. Was it because of the obvious sexual tension between them or was it something else? Well if it was a tour guide he needed then that’s what he’d get. Dismissing her earlier resolve to keep her distance, she turner a wide smile on him.

“Really Logan I don’t mind. I’ll be happy to show you our beautiful country.”

Logan’s eyes narrowed across at her. A little warning bell was going of in his head. He knew perfectly well his company was the last thing she wanted. So what was she up to? His eyes looked over her beautiful face and generous expanse of high cleavage. His blood stirred. To think he’d thought she was tomboyish! Oh no. Ororo Munroe was differently a hot little number. And every instinct in his body told him to keep away from her.

“Thank you.” He finally murmured. Leaning back against the cushion of the chair, he took a sip of his glass. The strong liquid burned a path down his throat.

What the hell! Was Maurice trying to kill him?

“Logan, are you alright?” N’dare asked noticing the look on his face. Quickly cherie get some water.”

Ororo went to a pitcher of cold water and poured a glass from the side bar and handed it to him. The brief contact sent sensations racing up her arm.

“He took several mouth fulls before smiling up at her. “I’m afraid I’m not much of a drinker.”

“I should have warned you, Logan Rum Barbancourt is very strong. It takes some getting use too.” Maurice said apologetically.

“Wei I myself much prefer wine, but perhaps you will prefer something less concentrated? Darling pour Logan a glass of cremasse.”

“Sure mom.” Ororo waited for the empty glass from him before returning with the creamy, thick mixture. He eyed it dubiously.

“Don’t worry, this is not as lethal.” She whispered to him. She tried not to smile at the skeptical rise of a dark brow.

“I’ll hold you to that.” Without taking his eyes of her, he took a tentative sip. A smile of appreciation crossed his lips.

“Different, but not bad.” She couldn’t help returning his smile.

“I’m glad you approve.”

“Very much.” Some how she didn’t think they were talking about his drink anymore.

“Son-of-bitch! I can’t believe this! His actually going to run for office! That drug dealing thug is going to cause us to lose everything we’ve worked so hard to achieve the last couple of years!” Maurice thundered from his chair. He held the folded issue of the local paper. Panic churned in Ororo’s stomach. What was that paper still doing there? She’d told Germaine to get rid of it yesterday! Damn that girl!

His eyes still on Ororo. Logan wondered what had put that look in her eyes. It was as if she were nervous about something. He wondered if it had anything to do with whoever was pissing Maurice off?

“Amor! What is it?” asked N’dare, alarmed at her husband’s tirade. Especially in front of a guest.

“It’s yesterday’s paper announcing Victor Creed’s candidacy for president. I meant to get rid of it before you got home.” Ororo mumbled. She’d known her father would be angry when he saw that damn paper, but not like this. She prayed he didn’t open the paper to the article on the next page.

As soon as he heard Ororo say the name, Logan sat up. He started paying close attention to the conversation.

“Bon dieu! If that man were elected it would be like Duvalier regime all over again.” Moaned her mother.

“No honey. Worst. Victor Creed is not only power hungry but also his ruthless. He’ll get rid of anyone who stands in his way. He doesn’t give a damn about the people. Only what he can take from them.” Raged Maurice.

“Aren’t there other candidates?” questioned Logan.

“Yes, but none of the others will use the same high handed tactics he does and the others don’t use the people’s desperation to incite violence.” Maurice answered. Ororo knew there was a lot more her father wasn’t saying. A lot more. She understood he thought by keeping things from them he was protecting her and N’dare, but there were something’s they couldn’t be protected from. No matter how hard he tried. Nor could she protect him from what she still had to tell him. Hopefully before he saw the other article.

“Dad there’s more.” She hesitated. Indecision mirrored on her face. How could she tell him that the man he’d loved like a brother had been viciously murdered and his wife brutally raped? God knows what this would do to him.

“What is it? It can’t be any worse then this?” he flung the paper distastefully down on the coffee table.

“Actually dad it is. I was going to wait to tell you but since you’ve seen the paper I may as well tell you the rest.” She chewed on her lower lip. “Charles Xavier is dead. He was gunned down five days ago inside his home.”

N’dare gasped in shock beside her. Ororo kept her eyes on her father. He slowly rose up from his chair and went to refill his glass. He gulped downed the rum and without warning slammed the glass down. Shattering it.

“I tried to call him earlier, but no answered.” He said so softly they could barely hear him.

Next-door neighbors, Maurice and Xavier had grown up together. Both were from struggling, middle class families who harbored ambitious plans for their future. At seventeen, Maurice had been sent to the United States to study while Xavier remained.

Instead of going straight to college Maurice had joined the army and continued his studies there; Xavier had gotten into Haitian politics by way of the radio. After twenty years, a wife and two kids later, Maurice retired from the army. Continuing his studies until he held a law degree, he had climbed the ropes quickly in a New York law firm. But Maurice never forgot his roots. Over the years he’d returned on vacations but he’d always held hopes of returning to retire in the place of his birth.

Thirty-five years later, their lives collided again. Maurice decided it was time to return home. At Xavier’s urgings he opened a law office in Xavier’s radio station. It wasn’t long before they were a force for the people. Together they were responsible for educating Haitians about the dangers of AIDS, making changes in the deplorable state of the hospitals, and fighting political injustices. It was Maurice who talked him into running for the alternate prize to help Haiti.

“Irene and the kids?” Maurice rasped out. His voice filled with unshed tears.

For a moment, Ororo glanced at Logan. The look in his eyes gave her the courage she needed to continue.

“It happened in the middle of the night. They locked the kids in a closet then beat and raped her. They wore masks so she didn’t see their faces. Just as well because they would probably have killed her too.”

“Bon dieu!” her mother whispered. Her hands going to her face in horror.

“How are they?” Maurice asked. His voice raw and barely audible. Irene and the kids were as much his family as uncle Xavier had been.

A lump wedged in her throat, making it difficult to talk.

“Physically they’ll be fine. But I don’t know. Little Magnus hasn’t said a thing since it happened.”

“That poor child.” Murmured N’dare, her voice slightly rising with anger. “Do you see what I mean about those people?” she said glaring. “When will this stop Maurice? They’re invading our homes and hurting our families!”

N’dare words hung in the sudden silence. Ororo felt the pain of having to be the one to bring them the bad news press down on her. Her parents have gone through too much to have to deal with this too.

“When’s the funeral?” croaked her father.

“It was three days ago. Pascal wanted it as soon as possible. She’s taking the kids to live with her sister in Westchester, New York.

“When are they leaving?” he asked. His face itched in pain, stared at her. Ororo looked away. She could never handle seeing her father hurt and being the one to inflict this kind of hurt didn’t help.

“Next week.” Her eyes filled with sympathy, she tried to let him know he didn’t have to go through this alone. “I’m sorry dad. Uncle Xavier was a wonderful man.”

Maurice turned to her, pain and anger reflected in eyes so said that Ororo felt the knot in her chest tighten. “Sorry? You’re sorry! Why didn’t you just tell us, Ororo? We spoke with you and Remy almost every day, yet no one saw fit to let us know my best friend was murdered!” He yelled.

Ororo flinched. Her father rarely used that tone of voice with her. She clinched her fist so tightly, her nails dug into the palm of her hand.

“Maurice calm down. Your blood pressure!” pleaded N’dare.

I won’t calm down! Not until I get an explanation!” he shouted. Logan didn’t want to interfere but Maurice was loosing it. He made to rise when Ororo spoke.

“We thought with what happened, it was best if you didn’t know until you and mother got back. I’m really sorry dad, but you and mother needed some time together.”

“Of course we did cherie. Your father’s not thinking clearly right now.” N’dare stared at her husbands before he looked away. He ran a tired hand through his hair and signed.

“Your mother’s right honey. I’m not blaming you. I’m just angry. I can’t believe what’s happening to this country.” He said resignedly. “I think I’ll go see Irene and the kids. See if there’s anything I can do.”
“I’ll come with you. “N’dare rose up from the sofa and walked to her husband. She held on to his arm as they tenderly looked into each other’s eyes.





You must login () to review.