“Is there anything I can do? Asked Logan. Maurice shook his head.

“I don’t think there’s anything anyone can do, right now. You kids go on and have some dinner. We’ll see you in the morning.” Arm in arm they left the room.

“Will he be alright?” Logan asked. Ororo turned to him. A sad smile on her face.

“Yes. Mother will make sure of it.”

“If you don’t mind my asking, who is this guy Creed and why if anything does he have to do with the death of Maurice’s friend?”

“He is a demon from hell sent to destroy my people! Charles Xavier was also running for the presidency. And until his death he was expected to win.” Answered Ororo distractedly. Logan shook his head with dawning understanding.

“Did the cops find out who’s responsible?”

“No, those fumbling idiots couldn’t find a clue if it kicked them in the ass. There’s too much corruption in the ranks. Besides we know who’s responsible. It’s just a matter of proving it.”

“Creed.”

If there was an edge to his voice, Ororo was to worried about her parents to notice.

“Everything points to him. It’s just that no one’s willing to come forward.” Bitterness in her voice. “People here are just so resigned to letting others try to save them, they don’t realize they have the power to save themselves.” Filled with conviction, her voice held a hint of anger.

“Like any other politically oppressed culture, fear can be a potent tool to keep people from using their constitutional rights, Ororo.”

“Yes, but for how long? So many other countries haves faced the same obstacles that we do and they manage to overcome them. Why can’t Haiti? When will we be able to use those rights without fear or intimidation?”

Surprised at the intensity with which she spoke, Logan regarded her with dawning admiration and respect. Sensing he’d probably under-estimated her. Maybe he’d wanted to believe she was no more then a pretty face still depending on her parents.

“Like all things worth having it takes time. Maybe the changes are just around the corner.”

“Not if Creed gets into office. “She responded heatedly. Logan studied the woman across from him. How much did she know about why he was really here? Had Maurice confided in her? No he decided Maurice wouldn’t risk his daughter’s safety.

Lord, but she was hot. The exotic lines of her features were sensually alluring. Her long, bronze legs stretched out sexily in front of her. Sending his mind down a road he best not go down. Still he felt an uncontrollable urge to kiss those full lips. He wondered how they would feel under his?

No doubt about it. She was trouble, with a capital T.

“Were there any witnesses?” he asked. Trying to remain focused.

“No one came forward”

“So there might be?”

“Maybe. Why do you ask?”

“Just curious.”

“You sure it’s not more? For a moment there you almost sounded like a cop.”

He laughed “No. Just too many episodes of NYPD Blues back home.”

“Excuse me mademoiselle. Dinner is read.” Interrupted a petit, girl standing shyly at the door in.

“Merci Arlett, my parents won’t be joining us. But they may want something later.”

“Oui mademoiselle.” Briefly sending a sly glance at Logan she scurried from the room. Shaking her head, Ororo gazed sardonically at Logan. Looks like their handsome guest was causing the same kind of reaction with most of the female occupants in the house.

“Dinners ready. Shall we?” not waiting for a response Ororo left the room and walk down the hall to the dinning room. Painted in a remarkable mural of a Grecian temple, the room overlooked out to the garden. An extra-ordinarily ornate table with marble animal base set elaborately for two, cobalt-blue silk covered chairs and gold carved, rococo style armchairs completed the furnishings.

‘This is great.” Remarked Logan. Looking closely at the small scrawl where Ororo had signed her name.

“You did this?” he asked. At her embarrassed shake of her head, Logan stared at her in admiration. “This is incredible.”

“Thanks. Let’s eat. I’m starved.” Being alone with him in this room discussing her secret passion made her suddenly feel completely vulnerable.

The table was beautifully set with her mother’s finest china and crystal. A vase filled with freshly cut yellow roses sat between tall candles, creating a soft, almost intimidate glow. Before she could ease into the chair, Logan held it out for her before taking his own seat across from her. Placing her cloth napkin on her lap, Ororo looked up when Arlett, followed by Moise entered. They carried trays of covered dishes that teased at its aroma.

“Merci Arlett.” They uncovered steaming plates of lambi, grilled chicken, rice and red beans, fried plantain and three kinds of salads. Authentic Creole dishes. Saying a quick prayer of thanks to the almighty, Ororo picked up the bowls of lambi. Her mouth watered at the delicious dish. After placing a spoon on her plate she handed the bowl to Logan. It occurred to her that he might not like the spicy dish.

“If you’d like something else Logan I can see what we have.”

“Are you kidding? After that lousy airline food, a home cooked meal is greatly appreciated.” He said smiling at Arlett as she poured red wine in his glass. After filling Ororo’s glass Arlett and Moise both left.

They ate in relative silence for several minutes as each enjoyed their meal. Logan hungrily spooned lambi into his mouth. Enjoying the spicy conch.

“My dad said you were here on business. What kind?”

“Acquisitions. Land to be exact. The company I work for is interested in building a hotel here.”

Her brows arched up. “Another company bringing the promise of hope. But we both know you’re only interested in depleting our scarce resources. And in order to do that you’ll be lining the pockets of all the unscrupulous politicians to look the other way. Any means to an end. Right?”

Logan saw the challenging glint in her eyes daring him to contradict her. He reached for his glass and slowly toke a sip. All the while feeling those piercing eyes trained on him. She leaned back against her chair, waiting for his response. Their dinner momentarily forgotten.

Meeting her challenge, he said “Aren’t you being narrow minded? Foreign companies take a risk by coming here, but they attempt it anyway. Because it not only benefits them but the people here as well. And you forgetting this country has a history of turning on its businesses whenever there’s any kind of political conflict. That makes the risks that much greater for anyone considering investing here.”

“Then why come? Why risk it?”

“You said it yourself. Financial gain. This countries coming elections will be closely observed not only by the United States but by many other countries. If things are handled correctly and democratically, Haiti could be facing a very prosperous future. With stability and financial backing this island could be a Caribbean gold mine.”

“Gold mine for whom, Logan? Certainly not for the millions of poverty stricken families who really need help. Or the children that wake up with an empty stomach only to go to bed the same way. They barely make it day in or day out!”

“Then I would think the possibilities of jobs and a surplus of new currency would be welcomed.” He answered. He felt like he was under a spotlight and he didn’t like it. It was time to turn the tables around.

“Perhaps those families who seat back in the lap of luxury while the problem exist right outside their front doors should be the ones to help make changes. Instead of helping to solve the problem they are instead a major part of it!” he said smoothly. Logan knew as he said it he wasn’t being completely fair, but he had felt compelled to take her righteous indignation down a peg or two. Judging by the angry daggers coming from her eyes he’d hit his mark.

“How dare you! You don’t know my family or me. We’ve done more for this country then most people have done in a lifetime! If my people didn’t have to deal with so much external interference then maybe we might be able to make some changes!”

“Ororo I’m….”

Angrily pushing her chair back, she jerked to her feet and threw her napkin on her unfinished plate. Her eyes shooting daggers at him.

“If you’ll excuse me. I’ve suddenly lost my appetite.” She angrily rose from her seat and threw her napkin on the table. She turned to leave. Rushing to his feet before she left. Logan grabbed her wrist as she tried to storm past him.

“Ororo wait. I apologize. I had no right to say those things. You’re right I don’t know you, but I’d like too.”

For several seconds her face was a mixture of outrage and indignation then she signed. “No. I’m the one who should apologize. I started the interrogation. It’s just that since coming to live here I’ve seen first hand what these people have to go through. I guess I get a little carried away when I don’t think others see that and take what they go through lightly.”

“That wasn’t my intention. Not all companies are out mainly for profits, Ororo.” At the skeptical look on her face he smiled.

“Really! At least my company isn’t. People come first with us. That’s the only way we can continue to grow. I promise you if I think for one moment that any deals I make here won’t benefit both side’s in the long run then I’ll pack my bags and be on the next plane back to the states.” His penetrating eyes fixed on her face, willing her to believe him. A smile played along his lips. She found herself hard press not to return it.

“My job is to build something that people will enjoy for a long time. If Haiti is that place then we’ll be here for the long haul.”

“Pretty words Mr. Howlett. But can you live up to them?”

Logan leaned towards her. He was so close that the front of his jacket brushed her dress. Suddenly the air cackled with electrical currents. The dizzying sensations he caused earlier started up at the pit of her stomach and worked its way all over her body.

Oh boy!

“When you get to know me better you’ll learn I don’t say things I don’t mean. And I never do anything that I’ll regret later.” He said softly. He held her gaze for a second longer before embracing the seductive temptation of her. At first the kiss was gentle, lip-to-lip.

Then he tasted her.

He was like a drowning man willingly letting her sweetness envelope him. He drank greedily, seeking to quench the all-consuming ache that threatened to ravage him. Her aroma, perfume, and the feel of her in his arm made him want more then he could ever have. He should put an end to this madness. Yet, he let it continue. Powerless to stop.

She wrapped her arms around his neck, melting into his arms. Intoxicating all his senses. He knew then, he had never and would never kiss another woman like this again.

Ororo moaned as the wondrous sensations kept coursing through her body. All reasoning escaping her, she rubbed against him only wanting to prolong the delicious tremors at her pulse. Frantic to feel his harden muscles under her hands, she let her hands roam down his broad back to his buttocks and squeezed. A groan of surprised pleasure rumbled from his chest, as he grinded his aroused member against her heat. Sudden panic raced through her mind and she pulled away from him.

“God! What are we doing?”

Logan smirked. “I thought it was pretty obvious, but if you need…..”

“No!” she stepped away from him. “I don’t even know you.’

“Don’t you? That’s not what your eyes and body been saying since I got here.”

“You’re wrong. I’m going to bed. Good night Mr. Howlett!” she flounced away until the click of her sandals disappeared upstairs.
Logan let out a curse and ran his hand through his hair causing it to spike up. Suicidal, that’s what he was if he was actually thinking of getting involved with that spitfire! He needed to get some air and get his mind on business. He reached at the back of his waist and pulled out the semi automatic handgun. He checked the barrel, loaded and placed it back. All traces of passion gone to be replaced by a determined, cold glare. Time to meet his informanent.





You must login () to review.