Author's Chapter Notes:
Still don't own so please don't sue
"So sis, you know the professor is anxious to know how things are faring between you and Logan. Not that he would ever say so of course." Scott leaned over to gently nudge Ororo in the side with his elbow, as they sat on the now repaired front steps of the boathouse. Years of knowing the woman to his left, told him that something was different with her since his last visit, so he chose a round about way to dig for information.

Ororo kept her eyes straight ahead, watching the bunnies playing near the bushes in the yard. She was well aware as to who was curious about her and it wasn't Charles. "I'm an open book, what is it you would like to know dear brother?"

Damn. Busted!

Scott let out a short laugh, as he reached over to take her hand in his intertwining their fingers. "Am I really that transparent?"

"Always. You would never make a good liar. And that is something I will always admire about you," she said, lifting their joined hands and kissed the back of his hand, "so do not be concerned about me I am fine."

Scott took time to study her, noting her soft still graceful bearing, yet with a stubborn set to her chin. Forever the obstinate, self contained, completely lovable goddess. She was without a doubt the strongest person he had ever known. Not to mention the most beautiful. He had come to accept long ago that Jean was the woman who would forever hold his heart, but the woman beside him would forever be a part of his soul. Her unassuming persona combined with her huge capacity to love and indomitable spirit steeped in loyalty and kindness, made her his sister, a part of his family he would forever love.

"I will never not be concerned about you Ro. If there's ever anything you need and I mean anything, all you have to do is say so and...'I'll be there...I'll be there...just call my name girl..." Scott had stood up pulling Ororo with him as he sang the old Jackson Five hit in comical falsetto. Both of them dancing and laughing. Scott in very un-Cyclops like behavior, to anyone who didn't know him, but not to Ororo. This was the fun loving man she had grown to love as much as her adopted father himself. For this life and the one beyond her 'brother'.

"Don't quit yer day job bub." Logan came out the front door wiping his hands on a plaster covered rag. Scowling at Scott as he held a laughing Ororo out at arms length, while they took a bow. Ororo's an exaggerated curtsy.

"Not to worry Logan, Ororo got all the artsy talent in the family. I got all the brains and good looks." he smiled.

He dodged what would have been a well place punch, as Ororo rolled her eyes at him and puckered her lips in an air kiss right before she nonchalantly patted her ass.

Scott huffed not missing her obvious meaning.

"Riiigghht,...well if ya two kiddies are done playing," Logan looked from one to the other, his eyes lingering on Ororo, "when are the new cabinets coming? The counter tops have been ready for a week."

"The company called yesterday. They said if you want them expressed they can be here in two days, if not in about a week."

"How much are they trying to ream ya for express, no matter a week is good enough."

"Good, with all the furniture coming for the upstairs today the professor is sending the guys over to help with the setup. Far be it for Ororo to harm herself with those puny muscles of hers."

"Those puny muscles have done just fine doing the work on this place so far." Logan spoke up surprising Scott and Ororo with such a glowing appraisal.

"It was called a joke Logan, you know, funny ha, ha." It was Scott's turn to look at Logan then Ororo. Who suddenly found the sky very interesting, while she softly whistled.

Nah they couldn't be, Scott thought as his mind started to take him somewhere he real...ly didn't want to go.

"Like I said, don't ever quit yer day job. There is one thing ya can get Tin Man to do for me though. Have him put my baby on the back of the truck...gently. I don't want Popsicle eyeing her while I'm gone or getting any ideas in the head to make me light a fire under his ass."

Ororo folded her arms across her chest and shook her head in quiet mirth.

Scott knew no one was going to touch that bike, but he nodded his head to Logan to grant his rare request.

"Scott please check with Jean on the fabric order. Other than that the list we gave you should suffice for everything we need. Will you be coming back with the boys?"

"I don't know yet, if the professor doesn't need me I'm here sis."

Logan knew Ororo was sorely missing everyone at the mansion and that he hadn't been the best company, but things were looking up since two nights ago. He wasn't so foolish as to delude himself that they had become the best of friends, after his assholic behavior and humiliating confession, but they were more civil to one another. That is after he had shooed Mofo back to the mansion...she thought. Actually, Mofo was hanging around the lake during the day and sleeping in Logan's room at night, once Ororo was asleep of course. What could he say the dumb mutt was family.

"I will be sure to let professor Xavier know the great job you two have done on the place." said Scott, after he had hugged Ororo and gotten into the jeep. His departure was far different than the last time. Maybe they were making more progress than just on the house, he thought with a shudder as he left.


Ororo hummed as she went about making a late lunch in the new not quite finished kitchen. Having spent years containing her emotions, she could not hide that she was extremely excited that the boys were coming to the boathouse. Even if it was to move furniture, she was going to be with part of her family again and that meant everything to her.

Logan was working putting up new sheetrock in the living room, repairing the multitude of holes that plagued the structure.

Ororo had easily handled the insulation part of the renovation using her winds to effectively place the itchy fiberglass material into the wall spaces. Something Logan especially appreciated, as the damned irritating stuff was hell on his sinuses and abundant body hair.

Flinging a dish towel over her shoulder Ororo walked into the livingroom with an ice cold bottle of Canadian beer in one hand and a glass of tea in the other. As he did two nights ago Logan was listening to music on the stereo, only this time no where near the deafening volume. She halted her steps to consider the man before her.

Logan was definitely a man you could not help admiring. Upon first glance it was easy to see the man was physically appealing, with beyond handsomely chiseled features sculptors would love to capture. His hair was longer than was considered conventional. There were always errant locks caressing his brow, falling into his eyes that never seemed to bother him. He had muscles on top of muscles, that played under his clothing with every move he made. The most arduous of tasks were mere childs play to him. No doubt about it the man oozed raw strength. In her bare feet they stood almost eye to eye. Every fiber of his being screamed dangerous and untamed. Yet, there was a gentleness about him despite his gruff posturing. The same as she had too mask her emotions, Ororo knew he used everything about himself as a defensive mannerism.

She heard him the other night when he had said the one word outside her door, 'Please'. So quietly spoken she should have missed it, but she didn't and it had been the deciding factor in her letting him in.

Hearing all that he had said to her had been totally unexpected. What was she to do with such an astonishing revelation? She didn't know. Honestly; she was more than a little afraid to find out. And what had it taken for such a guarded man to open himself up to her like that. Ororo Munroe was truly scared for the first time in a long time.

Scott had told her years ago that he knew he was meant to love her forever when he first saw her and kept the vision of her in his heart right down to the minutest detail of what she was wearing. That plain idea epitomized to her how love got a hold of you from the start and was meant to last.

Logan's surprising answer to her simple question moved her, giving her heart flutters of unexpected desires she had thought squashed. Still there was Jean. Unknown to anyone, Jean confessed to her shortly after Logan's arrival to the institute, that her heart was torn between him and Scott. Jean was positive Scott would forever be number one in her heart, but she would probably never stop wanting to feel the need to 'bang' Logan's brains out. She wanted Scott, but she would never stop desiring Logan.

"Are ya gonna give me my beer Ro, or just stand there looking at my ass?"

The insufferable smart aleck hadn't bothered to turn around or stop working.

"I figured you'd come get it when you were ready."

Did she just use a double entendre on him? Damn he hoped so.

Logan put down the nail gun he was using and walked over to stand in front of her.

Looking into each others eyes as if discovering the secrets of the universe, they were rendered speechless.

Logan had to find his voice again before he did something stupid.

"Err...hmmm, he cleared his throat, but never broke eye contact, "I'm ready darlin."

Her hands shook indiscernibly while handing him the still cold brew. Their hands touched and held there.

'Come on Ororo, get a hold of yourself she thought as words rushed forth from her mouth, "So what do you think of your progress in here?" she asked, happy the words didn't trip over each other. Too badly.

"Our progress Ro," he took a drink, realizing their hands were still in contact with each other, "we've accomplished a lot. We make one helluva team."

'Damn was that too much. Way to scare her bub!'

"I meant what I said earlier darlin, ya more than carry yer weight."

"Thank you Logan, that means more to me than I can say to know you feel that way."

He tilted his head and gave her his signature lopsided grin.

"So...we good Ro?"

She held her glass out as he held out his bottle. "We're good bub." Ororo smiled as they tipped their drinks together.


Happy. Tired. Serene. All the things she was feeling this evening after the much needed company of the boys that afternoon.

"I see that beast refuses to leave your side. You do know he is the reason we are here in the first place." said Ororo, as she alit gracefully in the yard of the boathouse.

Logan sat with his back against the porch pillar at the steps, enjoying the night and his cigar. As in the past Mofo rested at his masters side, as much a fixture to Logan as the foundation was to the house. "Been for a little windriding Ro?" he asked pointedly ignoring the fact that he was caught harboring the enemy.

"The perfect ending to a perfect day. Guess I was just too keyed up with all the excitement of entertaining our first guests this afternoon and seeing the upstairs coming into shape." she said, as she joined him on his step.

Logan chuckled inwardly thinking of how she had thought having a late lunch with the guys and Scott, was somehow synonymous with them christening 'their' house. He could only wish it were so. Just the idea of it made his stomach tighten with longing for something he knew would never be. Maybe he was reading more into her innocent comment.

Sensing his introspective mood and not wanting to intrude, Ororo decided to call it a day. "Well good-night Logan, rest well," speaking as she leaned over to kiss his cheek.

She was doing that an awful lot lately, four times in two days, and he wasn't about to start complaining.

"Ro, wait...," he stood meeting her as she did the same. Looking into eyes of steel and sky, both were propelled forward as if magnetized, till their lips met in the most tender union either had ever experienced. Mere moments later backing away, wrought up with emotions neither wanted to name, Logan braved the moment, "Oh hell Ro," before claiming her lips once again with much more vigor.

Realizing passions insanity could overtake her again, Ororo pushed apart from him. Finding breathing hard and words harder, to tell him of the fear and anxiety she was besieged with. Could she just ignore her conscience concerning Jean and her ever present confession from long ago.

"Logan, I...I..."

"Ro, don't darlin, don't keep side stepping this...us, it's not just going to go away." he said gathering her in his massive arms.

She stepped back from his embrace, unable to meet his piercing gaze. "Logan...it would be so easy for me to lose myself in you. But...were just too complicated..."

He looked at her with eyes full of hurt and pain as he too stepped back. He didn't want to think anymore. He had tried again and was refused. He saw it now. Friendship was fine, anything else was a fools dream. "It's okay Ro, I get it,...I do."

She took the uncertainty about their relationship and slowly entered the house, closing the door behind her, not once looking back.

It was settled he thought. Team members, no more. He'd have to live with that.

Mofo stood barking at the closed door.


Chapter End Notes:
Review if ya want :)

Let's hope next chapter they can get it together!



You must login () to review.