Author's Chapter Notes:
A Little RoLo family moment or two.
Title: "All My Children, Holy Crap!"

Author: W6C

Characters: Logan, XMen, and various AU children

Pairing: None, but a couple inferred or alluded to due to canon AU established relationships

Rating: PG-13, for some language here or there (it's Wolverine and his kids, c'mon)

Summary: Wolverine's kids come for a visit, while AU Wolverine takes care of a threat.

Disclaimer: They don't belong to me, they belong to Marvel and its subsidiaries and partners. No money is made from this story. I only borrow the XMen, I give them back after every chapter.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~



The dining room was a-buzz with conversation and chatter as the X-Men sat down for their evening meal. In honor of Logan's children who sprang out of the Japanese culture the menu focused on Oriental cuisine. Laughter and silliness abounded as those who were skilled with the use of chopsticks tried to teach or assist those who were not. Kurt made an announcement regarding the fact that he was able to pick up the skill quickly, having "just enough digits to make it work". The comment received good-hearted laughter from the others, a few squeals and giggles from the younger children, and a hearty chuckle from his best friend.

"Ya' can swashbuckle with the likes of Errol Flynn an' his kin, but ya' never had cause to use chopsticks before now?" Logan nudged the Elf.

"Normally I would just use ze sticks as swords," Kurt remarked, pretending to thrust one at Wolverine then twirled the two sticks in his thick fingers before tapping them loudly on the edge of the table, "Or to make rowdy music, ja?"

Amiko leaned closer to Kirika to translate for her. Kirika raised her napkin to hide her soft giggle and glanced at her father who smiled and winked at her. His gaze tracked across the table to Kirika's brother and sister - same parents, different realities, odd as that was to remember - to Marie and Brian.

Marie was busily scooping her food into her mouth, the chopsticks a blur between her mouth and the dish, tipping the bowl expertly as she focused on finishing her meal in a well-paced manner. Brian sat beside her, next to Scott; and the two of them seemed to be in some sort of quiet conversation. Brian's khaki pants, blue polo shirt and well groomed hair just put Wolverine to question as to which of his own genes that boy got.

The sound of chopsticks clicking together in a strangely loud manner caught Logan's attention and he looked toward the table behind him. Daken and Scotty were embroiled in a swashbuckling encounter with their eating utensils, half-standing from their seats to reach their opponent on the opposite side. Logan crooked an eyebrow in dismay and reached out to back-hand Kurt on the arm.

"Owww... vat vas dat for?" Kurt asked, rubbing his arm.

Logan pointed over his shoulder with his chopstick. "Thanks for givin' them ideas."

"Oh... blame me. Like zey need any help coming up vid vays to get rowdy. Zey are da sons of da Wolverine... zey don't need my help vid dat, mein freund."

That got another round of laughter before Logan finally turned around and tapped his sticks on the edge of the other table. Both boys paused in their jousting to turn and look at him. Logan simply looked at them evenly, blinked once... then again... then cocked his head ever so slightly and both boys slowly lowered themselves into their seats and straightened their bowls.

"Better," Logan complimented them with a nod. He turned his attention back to his own table and grinned. Behind his back the boys punched each other in the arm, blaming each other for once again drawing their father's attention. Logan smiled, allowing that, and continued eating.

From the other end of the table Ororo watched him closely as he dealt with his many children and smiled as he glanced her way. She was helping Kendall who insisted on trying to use the chopsticks like the other kids, but had a small fork sitting nearby just in case exasperation overcame stubbornness. Either, Storm figured, could be expected at any given time considering who her father was.

And it didn't take too much longer for Kendall to slam her tiny fists on the table and wail. "I caaaaaaan't!" she yelled and began to cry... loudly.

Logan's hyper-sensitive hearing made him cringe as the three year old wailed like the Banshee himself. Ororo tried to sooth the child and took the sticks from her tiny hands and pressed the fork into her fist.

Logan took a large mouthful from his crossed sticks when Kirika gasped beside him. He turned his gaze to her and noted she was looking above him. Glancing around quickly Logan noted that everyone was looking above his head.

"Kendall, no!" Storm tried to get the little girl's attention and hold back her own laughter at the same time.

Logan frowned and looked up to see a very small storm cloud hovering over his head and a little tiny lightning bolt shot out and disappeared. He lowered his head just in time to get a rather miniscule deluge from Kendall's frustration rainstorm soaking his hair and shoulders. He stared at Ororo and her small clone as the rest of the table broke out in raucous laughter. Even Charles and Hank found the event worth an amused chuckle from the faculty table nearby. Logan simply sat there with a bemused grin, wondering how and why he ended up being the target of that temper tantrum.

When the miniature thunderstorm hanging over his head finally dried up and disappeared; as Ororo was able to get Kendall's attention to the fork in her hand, Logan simply picked up his linen napkin and used it to dry his face before dabbing it across his shoulders and his dripping hair. The rest of the meal went without incident now that Kendall was able to satisfy her tummy with the use of the familiar fork.

The other children dared not test their father's unlimited patience, to the X-Men's pleasure. Lunch ended and the group quickly went their separate ways.

The boys went outside to play with Bobby tagging along as a sort of peer supervisor while the teenage girls followed Rogue and Kitty upstairs to listen to favorite CD's and try on all the clothes they'd gotten at the malls the day before. The X-Men went about their daily routines; whether on duty or off. Hank went to his lab with Scott and Brian in tow. Jeannie sat down to arts and crafts with Marie and Jade again as the two younger girls seemed to enjoy more creative endeavors.

Ororo picked up Kendall as she watched Logan head out of the dining room and most likely was heading upstairs to change out of his wet clothes. "Would you like to go see your daddy?" she asked the little Torrent who smiled big and nodded. "Very well," Ororo smiled back and followed Logan to the second floor.

When she reached his bedroom door, it was standing open so she peered around the frame carefully, not wanting to burst in on him without announcement. Instead, his voice rolled out toward her from his private bathroom. "You can come in Ro, I'm decent," he told her.

Ororo smiled and stepped inside the room, bouncing Kendall on her hip. "Are you all right, Logan?" she asked politely although the smile never left her face.

His face suddenly appeared from around the bathroom doorjamb as he briskly rubbed a thick towel against his shaggy hair. "Yeah, I'm fine. Why?"

"Oh, just curious," she replied, her eyes shining with the humor of the situation.

Logan disappeared for a second, tossing the towel over his shower rod to dry. He exited the bathroom wearing a fresh pair of jeans and a dry white undershirt.

"Daddyyyyy!" Kendall squealed at him, bouncing herself excitedly on Ororo's hip. Logan chuckled softly and walked to her with his hands out. Kendall immediately tried to launch herself from Storm's arms to go to him.

"Whoa there, Li'l Darlin'," he smiled wide as he took his youngest daughter from her mother. He looked at Kendall up close, taking in her every feature then he looked at Ororo. "She looks just like you."

"She does, yes," Ororo smiled with pride. "It is a little... awkward... isn't it?" she asked.

Logan looked over Kendall's head at her. "Is it awkward for you?" he asked curiously and only a little concerned.

Storm thought for a moment and then shook her head. "No, actually it isn't. I am... pleased... that in some alternate place you and I have..." she trailed off trying to think of a proper end to that thought.

"... made babies?" Logan finished for her with a sly grin.

Ororo blushed slightly, but maintained her dignity in the face of his teasing. "Yes," she answered simply.

"Well, I love ya', Ro. I always have," he told her, trying to make it sound like the kind of love between friends and teammates. Ororo however read through his attempt to offer his confession lightly.

"As I do you, Logan. Perhaps neither one of us is being completely honest about the depth of our feelings for the other...." she nearly confessed now that they stood in private with their result of their affection for one another cuddled against his chest.

Logan hesitated to look up at her; his gaze darting around her as if he felt a sense of guilt at being caught at something he shouldn't be doing. When he did meet her gaze, he simply said, "I guess it'd be sort of futile to deny it...."

"I believe it would, yes - given the evidence sitting in your arms," she replied.

The two long-time friends and teammates shared a moment of silent contemplation and then Storm broke the silence. "So.... what shall we do now?" she asked.

Logan thought about it for a moment then brightened, handing Kendall back to Ro with a kiss dropped to the top of her head. "Well, I'm gonna do a load of laundry since I now have enough for a full load." He quickly donned a clean flannel shirt over his white tee and snatched up the basket near the bathroom door. He smiled at the two as he walked by them on the way out. "You can come along if ya' want."

Ororo did just that, taking advantage of the moment so the small family could spend some time together.

----------------------------------------

They took the elevator all the way to the sub-basement where the utilities were stationed. When they reached the laundry room, Ororo put Kendall down so she could run around and explore while she stayed beside Logan, opening the washer lid for him as he lifted the clothes from the basket and dropped them in.

He reached up to grab a bottle of detergent from the shelf above the unit as Kendall tried to push a chair over so she could see. Ororo assisted her, placing the wooden chair beside Logan and helping Kendall climb onto it.

"What you doing, Daddy?" she asked her dad.

"Laundry," he told her.

"What is laundry?" she asked.

"This," Logan said, gesturing casually at the clothes in the machine.

Kendall leaned over, wrapping her fingers right around the rim of the washer she pulled herself over the edge of it to see inside. "Those is clothes," she told him.

"Those ARE clothes," he corrected.

"I know dat. I said dat," she frowned.

Ororo stepped back out of view to watch the father/daughter exchange and allow Kendall some time with her father. She leaned against the folding table with a grin as she observed.

"Well, when you put clothes into this machine... or one like it... it is called laundry."

"It change clothes to laundry?"

"Yep," Logan answered as he measured the detergent in a cup.

"What's dat?" she asked.

"It's laundry detergent. It's soap to wash the clothes in."

"Da clothes dat not clothes no more..."

"Right," he said with a grin.

"Oh." ---- "Daddy?"

"Yeah?"

"Why you doing laundry?"

"Everyone here does their own laundry," he explained, "because everybody has their own preferences… what they like an’ what they don’t like."

Kendall nodded and stared into the machine, watching it fill with water that slowly submerged the clothes. She continued to watch his actions with serious concentration as Logan poured the liquid detergent into the water. He grinned at his daughter’s undaunted attention as her eyes followed his every move.

"I like to wash my clothes in Tide," he mentioned as he poured the blue liquid in a circle around the agitator.

Kendall blinked and looked up at him with wide eyes and said, "Because it too cold out tide?"

Logan’s expression froze for a moment as he tried to dissect that question and Ororo barked a laugh behind him before stifling it behind an elegant hand. He smiled as he realized what his baby girl just said. Instead of correcting her misunderstanding he just went along with it. “Right, li’l darlin’. Cuz it's too cold outside."

Kendall nodded that she understood and watched him close the lid and turn a large dial.

"You wanna push the button?" Logan asked her, pointing to a flat black button. Kendall nodded with a bright smile. "Go ahead, push it." Kendall touched it with a tiny finger. "Push it hard." She pushed harder and it moved. They listened to the water rushing into the machine. "Look what you did," Logan told her and lifted the lid to show her. She smiled, he smiled and closed the lid before snatching her up from the chair. "Good job! Ready to go play now?"

Kendall nodded as she was carried out of the basement in her father's arms. Storm followed them, still smiling.


-------------------------------------------------------


TBC'd



















You must login () to review.