About a month later, Storm was up and about. Her recovery took about a week, but the professor wanted her to take a break so that she could relax. It was also a chance to monitor the effects of Crystal's healing ability. Her history students were glad she was back though. Crystal was among them. Although the girl was fitting in just fine, Storm could tell something was bothering her. She confronted Crystal about it after catching her staring into nothingness at her notebook. "What's wrong Crystal?"

Crystal jumped at Storm's question, but relaxed immediately. "Nothing," she replied casually, gathering her things. "Just daydreaming for a moment. I have to meet with Shadowcat."

Storm knew she was lying, and created a small breeze to close the door. "No, Crystal," she said gently, standing in front of Crystal's desk, with her arms folded across her chest. "There's something you isn't there? Something you haven't told anyone."

Crystal sighed and put her stuff down. "How could you tell?"

"I may not be telepathic, but when you live out on the streets for awhile, you tend to pick up on people's moods through their body language."

"On the day I joined," Crystal said, sighing. "I lost somebody, my best friend. You could say that we've been best friends since we were babies."

Storm thought about this for a moment. "Could this have anything to do with the 'Crystal Hawk'?"

Crystal froze. "No," she said quickly, averting her hazel eyes. Storm knew she hit a mark. "Look, uh, I really don't feel comfortable about this. Can I go?"

Storm knew she wasn't about to get anything more out of the girl, and nodded. She couldn't help but wonder, though, who the "best friend" was.

XXXXX

Storm thought about Crystal later that night on the balcony. Crystal had acted really strangely when she mentioned the Crystal Hawk. A knock at her door interrupted her thoughts. She turned and saw Logan head toward her. She smiled. "Hey," she said.

"Hey," he replied. "It's kinda chilly. What're you doin' out there, anyway?"

Storm shrugged. "The air doesn't affect me. It actually helps me think out here. I was just thinking about Crystal. She'd acted really strangely when I mentioned the 'Crystal Hawk.' How is she in the Danger Room. I haven't had a chance to observe her yet."

"If there was a kid who could survive both a defense and offense session by herself, without being injured, she could."

"Wait a minute," Storm said, holding her hand up, "you've been letting her in there alone?"

"No, I've been observing. Kid's got some serious skill with her powers."

Storm shook her head mockingly. "And to think I started to let you teach a class. How long has this been going on?"

"'Bout a week."

"Okay, maybe I jumped the gun."

Logan laughed, then placed his arm around her shoulder. Storm didn't know why, but she found herself relaxing at Logan's touch. After a moment, Logan spoke. "Do you want to go back inside?"

Storm nodded and followed him in. She stopped mid-stride, and shivered. She suddenly had the strange feeling that she was being watched. Then she shook it off. It was probably just the cold weather.

XXXXX

A young girl watched from the bushes as the headmistress went back inside. She knew automatically that she was in the right place. Now all she had to do was make sure everyone was asleep before she could strike.





You must login () to review.