Storm placed an overnight bag into the trunk of her car as she prepared to leave. Logan stood nearby in the garage. "Are you sure you don't mind watching the kids?" she asked. " I could always get Hank to do it."

Logan shook his head exasperatedly. "It's only for a day, Storm."

"And look what happened last time." Storm reminded him teasingly.

Logan scowled. "That's not funny Storm," he growled.

"It is to me," she countered laughingly. Then she walked over and gave Logan a goodbye hug. Then she got into the car and left. After she was gone, Logan went back inside to find everyone looking at him expectantly.

"No school today," he told them.

"YES!" Everyone shouted.

XXXXX

"Hold on, make it last," Hawk sang the next morning.

"Hold on, never turn back," Crystal returned. "Hold on."

"You made a rebel out of a careless man's careful daughter; you are the best thing that's ever been mine." Hawk finished. The girls had been singing to a song called 'Mine' by Taylor Swift. As the sing ended, Crystal turned to her sister.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" she asked.

"Yes, Crystal," Hawk said, rolling her eyes exasperatedly. "The animals will help take care of me."

"Alright, alright," Crystal said, holding her hands up in surrender. Crystal was going back to into the city to ask for directions to the school and Hawk was staying behind to watch the animals. Apparently there was a scuffle the day before. After she left, Hawk brushed Storm and turned on the iPod to find out that 'Live free or let me Die' by Skillet was on.

"You can take away my strength! Fix these broken thing! There's nothing left to fight; live free or let me die!

"You can take away my pride! I won't be denied! There's nothing left to fight; Live free or let me die!"

As the song played on, the air became colder. Hawk looked around to see snow start to fall. She picked up the camp supplies to keep them dry, then dived into and around the snow for a bit; feeling like a child again.

XXXXX

Storm was led into a patient's room my Dr. McTaggart. "This man here," she explained, "has- or had- no conscience. About a month ago, I heard Charles speak to me telepathically from this body. He even turned to look at me when he did."

The patient was awake right now, and turned to look at Storm when he saw her. She felt the familiar probings she'd felt when the professor was trying to get into her head, but didn't give any hint that she did to Moira. "Why did you call me in?"

"I thought that maybe since you were one of his students, you would confirm it for me," Moira replied.

Storm sat down and looked at Moira. "I don't know if he told you this, but he sometimes had problems reaching me telepathically. Somehow I am able to block telepathic's from getting into my mind. He guessed that it was because of my emotional control. I have to keep my emotions under a tight reign, or else the weather will go crazy."

"I'm sure it wouldn't be that bad," Moira said. A look from Storm told her that she didn't know how bad it would get. "How bad?"

"If my emotions were to be unleashed in a frenzy, I could cause a pretty destructive thunderstorm, if not a category five hurricane. If I were to be icy and bitter without my psi barriers, it's possible that I could cause the next ice-age."

"That bad huh?" Moira asked. Storm nodded. "Is it possible that you could lower your guard for a minute?" Moira pressed.

Storm nodded hesitantly. She dropped her barriers-thankfully nothing happened outside. Hello, Storm, Xavier's voice said inside her mind. She gasped, but kept calm.

"Is it him?" Moira asked hopefully.

Storm nodded. She couldn't believe it. Professor Charles Xavier was alive.

XXXXX

Erik stretched his hand out again. His queen moved one square forward before stopping. Erik smiled. Apparently the 'Cure' was only temporary. One of the girls from yesterday came over and sat down across from him. "Are you ready to play another round?" He asked.

"Wrong one, Erik," the girl replied. "I'm Lily. You played against Ashley."

"I'm sorry. You and your sister look exactly alike."

Lily rolled her eyes. There was one way to tell the difference between them, besides listening to their voices; but she wasn't about to tell him. She had things to do. "I'm just here for directions to the school."

"And I want all the homo-sapient dead."

"Hey!" Lily exclaimed. "My sister is nothing like them."

"Now look who's defending them."

Lily balled up her fists in anger. No one spoke about her sister that way. Not without consequences. She knew, though, that beating him up won't get her anywhere. "You won't tell me where the school is, fine. I'll find out on my own." She got up and left.

XXXXX

Later that day, Hawk and Crystal were settled into sleeping bags that they settled over the snow. They were listening to one of their all-time favorite Carrie Underwood songs: The night before (Life goes on). "He takes one last drive around town and it, man it already looks different. He bangs the wheel and says life ain't fair," Crystal sang the second verse. "This growing up stuff, man I don't know... I just don't want to let you go."

They both took up the chorus. "Tomorrow she'll be rollin' I-10 Baton rouge; LSU eighteen year in her rear view. He's got a Friday paycheck in line out down the block, in daddy's shop, it ain't much but it's a job. "

Hawk took the last part of the chorus. "They been dreadin' this moment all summer long."

They both sang the last part of the chorus. "The night before life goes on." Crystal sang the bridge and they both sang the last part of the song before falling asleep.





You must login () to review.