"Alright," Ashley said, moving her rook forward. "You have a very limited amount of options. Start talkin'. Check."

Erik had castled without pawns in front of his king, allowing Ashley to place the rook right in front of it. Erik moved his king one to the left, where it laid cornered. "What would you like to know?"

"You're Magneto, right?" She asked, moving her pawn one forward, and taking his rook while she was at it. "Queen me."

"That is correct," Erik replied, blocking her attack with his knight. Ashley moved her other queen to the right, apparently enjoying every second that she could prolong his defeat.

"And I believe that's checkmate," she pronounced triumphantly. Erik sighed and knocked down his king.

"Alright, what do you want to know?"

"Well," Ashley explained as Lily came over to sit with her sister. "As you may or may not have figured out yet, my sister here is a mutant. We're looking for the X-men team leader called Storm."

"And you think I know the location?"

"You said so yourself that you're Magneto," Lily said crossing her arms.

"Lily," Ashley murmured in low tones. "Maybe you should just let me handle this."

"We're wasting our time here, Hawk," Lily countered. "He's not gonna talk. Maybe it'd just be better if we went home."

"Lily, we don't have a home. Trust me on this; our best chances are with the X-men."

"Well, then, I'll make him talk." Lily clenched her jaw and focused on Erik. Erik reached for his helmet and put it on. "Wha- ?" Lily gasped. Erik tapped his temple.

Ashley backhanded her sister. "I told you he would have that, remember? His helmet blocks telepathy."

"It seems like your sister knows her stuff," Erik commented.

"Yeah, well," Ashley said turning back to Erik. "I also happen to know that my sister is a class 5 mutant."

"Fine," Erik said, remembering what'd happened the last time he dealt with a class 5 mutant. "Xavier's school is in West Chester, New York."

"Thank you," Ashley said, getting up to leave. Lily followed.

XXXXX

"What was that all about, Crystal?" Ashley said walking with her sister.

"I was just trying to get what we wanted," Lily replied exasperatedly. "Winter isn't that far off, and I want to be somewhere warm by then."

Hawk sighed. Things had been tough on them since their parents died last month and they were sent to an orphanage. When they heard about a safe place for mutants and the X-men, the sisters made sure they had a clean get away. "We will, Crystal. We just need time. Right now, I'm starved, let's head over to a McDonald's or something okay?"

"Okay."

XXXXX

Storm rubbed her temples with her forefingers after finishing off the last of her paperwork. She knew that being the headmistress of this school was going to be difficult, but not this difficult. She turned to look outside the window. A knock startled her , but she relaxed when she saw it was only Logan. "Logan," she said warmly. "Come on."

"Thanks, Storm," Logan said looking around the office that used to be the professor's. "Haven't changed the place much, have you?"

Storm shrugged. "Didn't seem right." She sighed then turned back to the window.

"Hey," Logan said. "I don't have to be telepathic or have animal senses to see that's something's wrong. What's up?"

"Are you telepathic now or something?" Storm asked eying him.

"No," Logan replied, "just have a natural sense of empathy."

Storm smiled. "Hey," Logan said, walking over. "Turn back around."

"Why?"

"You'll see." Logan stepped behind her as she faced the window; then placed his strong hands on her shoulders, at the base of her neck, and began to massage it. Storm leaned back and closed her eyes, embracing the enjoyment she felt at Logan's massage.

"That feels good," she murmured.

"Good," Logan replied. "It's supposed to."

Storm placed a hand on top of his and smiled up at him. The phone rang a moment later, ruining the moment. "No," Storm groaned.

"Just let it go to voice-mail," Logan suggested.

"I can't, Logan," Storm said disappointingly. She turned back to the desk and picked up the phone. "Xavier's school for the gifted."

"Hi," a female voice said at the other end of the line. "This is Dr. Moira McTaggart. I'm looking for an Ororo Munroe. Sorry if I mispronounced that, she's also called Storm."

"Speaking."

"Oh, good," Moira said relieved. "I need you to come to the hospital please. It's rather urgent and I'd rather not talk about it over the phone."

"OK, is there anything wrong?"

"I don't know, like I said, I'd prefer not to talk on the about it over the phone. All I can tell is that it has to do with Charles."

Storm froze. "Hello?" Moira said when there was silence after a moment. "Ms. Munroe? Are you still there?'

"Yes, " Storm replied, snapping out of her trance. "I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Good, thank you. Goodbye."

"Bye." Storm hung up the phone, stunned.

"What is it?" Logan asked.

"That was Dr. Moira McTaggart," Storm replied. "She wants to talk to me. About the Professor."

XXXXX

Crystal and Hawk were eating in a thick wooded area, where they'd set up their camp. They were both eating a McDouble, cheeseburger without pickles, with large fries and a large drink. "When are we gonna stop doing this Crystal?" Hawk asked.

Crystal shrugged. "I don't know Hawk." She turned to look at their pets, Midnight Storm, an Andalusian black mare with a white star on her forehead that looked like a gray thunderhead; Isis, their pet white wolf, and Sky, Hawk's hawk. Crystal called them back and they formed a ragged semi-circle. Storm laid down to form a of a supporter for the girls; Isis laid across their legs to keep them warm, after they'd pulled on a blanket; and Sky sort of snuggled in between them.

"Did you get the new batteries?" Hawk asked. Crystal nodded and and handed them over to her. Hawk placed them in her iLIVE, then pressed a button for her iPOD to start playing. The first song that came on was 'Before he cheats' by Carrie Underwood. Both girls sang the song quietly in their heads as they drifted off to sleep.





You must login () to review.