It had been about three days since Storm had found out why she was really here. One day since she received her ruby. She was back in the small room, waiting with dread for Sabretooth. This had become a ritual for her. The guards would take her into this room, and then Sabretooth would come by and "play" with her. Today was no different. Storm wondered how much longer she could endure. She was sure she had sprained-if not broken- her hand, quite possibly her wrist, from struggling; she had a ton of bruising and a bunch of scratches, not surprisingly; her shoulder was wrenched, and, again, she had at least one bruised- if not broken- rib.

The door opened and Sabretooth stepped in, bringing her back to reality. He watched her closely. Storm knew that it was useless to try and avoid him. They had been playing cat-and-mouse for the couple of days, Sabretooth always getting the upperhand. He came closer, and she looked away, starting to tremble. She began to use some energy to charge. Sabretooth noticed and lunged at her.

Pain flashed through her body as he slammed into her. "Big mistake, Princess," he growled. Then his voice lowered into a chilling whisper. "You still owe me a scream."

X

Hawk went to Logan and Layla at the corner of the building where their Stake Out was. "Okay," she said, sitting down between them. "Here's the plan. The guards switch out every few hours. Noon and midnight is when it's least guarded. It's also when Sabretooth is around. He stops by every three to six hours during the day. He only stops by at eight to midnight at night and stays from one to five hours. I think it's best if we send Layla in around noon. I can only shut down so many minds at once. Actually... scratch that, we should send her in right after Sabretooth comes out. He just went in. It takes about five to ten minutes for the guards to come back. That should be enough time to go in, get Storm, and scat- Argh!"

Hawk grabbed her head, quickly putting up her telepathic blocks. "Hawk, are you okay?" Logan asked.

It took Hawk a minute to recover. "This is the one thing that I hate about having a telepathic bond with Storm. If we're going to rescue Storm, We need to do it today. She's not going to last another one."

X

Storm was back in the hole an hour later. She was very weak. It hurt just to breathe! She was sure that when Sabretooth came back for another round tonight, she knew that she was going to die.

X

Hawk watched as Sabretooth left. She picked up her radio and called Layla. "Go." Layla crept around the front and slipped inside. Hawk already had all of the minds she could find. She just hoped Layla could find Storm and get the heck out.

X

Layla retraced her steps from the day before. She noticed that there was more blood on the ground than there was yesterday. When she reached the door, there was a fairly large pool of blood smeared around it. She hurriedly opened the door and there was Storm, huddled in a corner. "Can you move?" she asked in English. There was no need to speak foreign since she was escaping today.

Storm looked up, recognizing Layla, and nodded. She moaned a little as she tried to get up. Layla gave her her hand, and Storm took it gratefully.

Layla took her shawl, which also worked as a blanket, and wrapped it around Storm. Storm staggered as she tried to walk, and Layla reached out a hand to steady her. Then she grabbed her radio. "Hawkclaw, I have Lightning, but we might need help getting her out of the vicinity itself."

"Alright, Dessertflower," Hawkclaw replied. "Try to get her up here as fast as possible. You only have about five minutes. Hunter will meet you at the entrance, go now!"

Layla put Storm's arm around her, and helped her up the flight of stairs. When they reached the top, Storm stumbled and fell. "Go," Storm said. If they get you, you will suffer the same way I have, if not worse."

Layla refused. "I have risked my life to help your partner and student. I'm not leaving you." She helped Storm up and together they went to the entrance.

X

Hawk watched the door. Suddenly, a guard appeared. "Kriff," Hawk said, replacing the curse she was thinking of. She quickly knocked him out, hoping Layla would get there soon.

X

"Look, there's the door," Layla said.

"Thank goodness," Storm moaned.

Layla saw someone approach the door. Oh, no! She thought. "Quick, behind the crates."

The guard dropped and Layla knew that Hawk had just manged to knock him out. "Dessertflower, how close are you?"

"We're at the door."

"Hurry up and get out!" Hawk said urgently.

"Coming."

They got to the door without further incident.





You must login () to review.