Logan waited beside the door. When it opened, Layla and Storm came out. "Storm," Logan said, relieved.

Storm looked up. "L-Logan?" she asked. Logan realized what sort of condition Storm was in, and took over the role of supporter from Layla. Hawk rushed over a moment later. She cast a worried glance at Storm, then turned to Logan. "Guards are comin' in fast. We've gotta get outta here."

X

After getting Storm her uniform, and Hawk healed what she could, they all stopped by the cafe' again to rest. It was going to take about half a day to get back to the jet. They were camping out behind the cafe'. Logan was in front of the fire as Hawk came over. "Hey," she said, sitting down next to him.

"Hey," he returned. He cast a worried glance at Storm, who was sitting by the wall, in her nightgown from the mansion with a shawl wrapped around her, staring off into the distance.

"She's been like that all night," Hawk said.

"She hasn't said anything to you?"

Hawk shook her head. "No. Not a word. She let me heal most of the wounds on her arms and legs, but she tensed when I reached the neck area and other parts."

"So, she still has cuts 'n all?"

Hawk nodded. "I'm lucky she hasn't struck me yet."

"She seemed perfectly fine earlier."

Hawk sighed. "Logan, that's how it usually is. The victim seems fine at first, but it's not long before the memories start setting in. Pretty soon... the victim starts reliving every moment. Over and over again in their head."

"Victim?"

"I'm talking about in general, Logan. We don't know what's she's been through, or how it's goin' to affect her.

"What're you two talking about?" Storm asked, coming up behind them.

"Nothin' important," Hawk said smoothly.

"Okay." Storm didn't really seem interested anyway.

Hawk looked at Storm, then gave Logan a meaningful glare. "D'ya guys think that it's time we head for the tents?"

"Yeah," Logan said, catching the hint. Logan got up and put an arm around Storm; but she flinched. Hawk shot him a sharp look that said, Are you crazy? What the heck are you thinkin'?

Logan gave her a hard look, and she just walked back to her tent.

X

Hawk bolted upright at the crash of thunder. She paused 'Bye, Bye, Bye,' by 'N Sync. The wind was howling outside, and it sounded as if a funnel cloud was forming nearby. She tried to reach out to the cause of this, but nearly got a migraine out of it. Usually she could get past Storm's telepathic barriers because she, herself, had the same static activity in her brain. This time, however, it felt like Storm was having an electrical storm going through her brain.

Hawk scrambled out of her tent and met Logan in front of Storm's. "Can't you take control over it?" he asked.

"No," Hawk retorted. It really annoyed her when people thought she could do everything because her powers were stronger than others. "I'm not strong enough. I still have a ways to go before I reach her level."

"Great," Logan grumbled, "a weather manipulator who can't manipulate the weather when someone else is."

"Hey! It's not my fault." With that she ducked into the tent. Storm was on her side, crying, moaning and whimpering. "Storm."

"Can't you just wake her up telepathically?"

"Tried that already. She's worked up- and I mean really worked up. I thought my brain was going to get fried."

"Please," Storm whispered timidly. "Please... don't."

Hawk looked from her to Logan. "What in the Lord's name in heck did they do to her?"

Logan shrugged and Hawk turned back to Storm. "Man, she's in a major cold sweat." Then they heard what sounded like a freight train in the distance.

"Okay, now we really need to wake her up." Hawk tried to shake Storm's shoulder, but that didn't help. "She's immune to the cold right?"

Logan nodded. "Why?"

"I'm just wantin' to see how she reacts to sparks." She had actually never done this before, but she really didn't have much choice. She managed to create one, but all it did was create a small burn on Storm. Hawk quickly healed it. "Looks like we're goin' to have to do it the old fashioned way."

"What do you mean?"

"You're gonna have to prick her; with your claws."

"What? You're nuts if you're thinkin' I'm goin' to do that."

"Logan it's the only option we have left. She's immune to the cold, so that means we can't use ice-cold water, and that tornado's gettin' closer by the second. That's an F5, by the way; the most destructive kind there is."

Logan growled defeatedly. "I promise I'll heal her," Hawk added. Logan knelt down next to Storm and pricked on the shoulder. Storm gasped and bolted up. "Easy, Storm," hawk said, barely brushing her finger tips on the shoulder. "It's just us. You're fine."

"What are you two doing in here?" Storm asked, her voice trying not to tremble.

"The weather just went crazy," Hawk said.

Storm closed her eyes and brought a hand to her face. Hawk knew this was her cue to bow out., and went backwards out of the tent. Logan followed a few moments later.

Hawk knew it was going to be awhile before things were back to normal again for her.

X

Hawk was prepping the jet as Storm came in and took the navigator's seat behind her. Although Hawk could not see her at the moment, she could feel the stiffness, weariness, and tiredness emanating from her. Hawk sighed and put up her telepathic blocks; she didn't need any distractions. After prepping the bird, she pressed a few buttons. "Goin' into stealth mode," she said, then turned to Storm. "Storm. Storm."

Storm blinked back into reality. "Storm could you provide some cover, please?"

Storm nodded, her eyes going white. Logan looked at Hawk. "Why can't you do that again?"

"Because I can't do that kind of multi-tasking. Besides, she needs to keep her mind off of what happened. Keeping her busy is probably what's best at the moment."

They rode silently the rest of the way home.





You must login () to review.