Hawk was out on Midnight Storm when the Professor came out. "Whoa!" she exclaimed when he rode up beside her. "Where did you come from?"

"Why don't we... slow these horses down... to a walk... before we talk," the Professor said in between breaths on a choppy canter. Hawk laughed, then pulled gently on the reins.

"Been awhile since you talked while ridin' hasn't it?" Hawk asked, her southern accent coming out the way it did when she was telling a joke or teasing someone.

"Yes," The Professor said. "But that's not what I came to talk to you about."

"You couldn't've asked me this yesterday?"

He gave you a stern look. "You really should not read my thoughts."

Hawk shrugged. "They don't call me prankster for no reason."

X

Isabel, Annabel, and Damien were in one one of the common rooms. Annabel was playing pool with Alison Blaire, Jimmie, and Amara Aquilla. Annabel was about to hit the eight ball when the Cuckoos came in. "Guess what freaks?" Phoebe called. The girls rolled their eyes while the boys turned to look at them. Although most of the normal people these days practically called every mutant a freak these days, the Cuckoos only did it to annoy everyone. Mainly to anyone without telepathy or unusual mutations, like Leech. Minus the adults of course. Phoebe continued when no one answered. "We'll be joining the X-men soon. Specifically your team"

"What!" The girls and Damien exclaimed.

The triplets snickered, "Now we'll see who's Ms. Munroe's star pupils. Bird-brain won't even stand a chance." Then they left. Everyone exchanged horrified glances. It was Isabel who broke the silence.

"Hawk is not gonna like this."

"Ya think?" Annabel replied, turning back to the table and shooting the eight ball into the pocket.

Ali sighed. "I just wish that they would stop calling her that. I mean she's a nice girl and all, despite all she's been through. I'm not sure why they even call her that to begin with."

"It's because of her name," someone said from the door way. They looked to see Kitty standing there. "Like one of my nicknames is Kit-Kat."

"But everyone who says it to you does it teasingly," Annabel pointed out. "They do it to bring out the worst in her."

"Still," Ali said, "the question is should we tell her or not?"

"Tell me what?" Hawk asked, coming into the door with her iPod in one ear, as was the usual case when she came back from a ride. She mainly did this so that she could hear the adults when they asked for her. The bad part about this was that she could hear bits and pieces of a conversation while walking by.

"Guess that answers your question," Amara said to Ali.

"That we'll be joining your team soon bird-brain," Irma said.

Annabel saw Hawk visibly clench her fists before pausing her music and taking out the ear bud. "If it ain't the cuckoo birds."

The triplets just stared at her for a moment while the girls secretly smiled at this. Isis came in just then, growling at the Cuckoos. Rowan followed. Celeste backed off instantly, but Phoebe and Irma kept it up though. "Keep your stupid mutt away from us."

Isis barked and growled, baring her teeth into a snarl. Everyone who knew Hawk knew that she didn't control her wolf's emotions or actions, and knew that she wouldn't interfere unless blood was drawn. "You two should know better by now," Hawk said. "Isis is a pure-bred wolf and not a mutt." Logan came in a moment later.

"Is there a problem?" he asked.

"Yeah," Phoebe said. "That beast over there-aah!"

That was it for Isis. She immediately pounced on Phoebe. "Isis, no. Heel." Hawk commanded pulling Isis away with her telekinesis before she touched Phoebe. Isis obeyed reluctantly. She got a scolding look from Hawk, which she laid down at. The Cuckoos left. Ali, Amara and Annabel were at Hawk's defense almost instantly.

"Hey," Dazzler said. "They provoked it. Isis gave off all the warning signs and only Celeste acknowledged it. The other two ignored 'em."

"Thanks, Ali," Hawk said, not looking at her. "But I'm just gonna go upstairs now. Enough trouble has already been caused."

Everyone looked at each other. They knew that Hawk was just going upstairs to cool off some of her steam and try not to think of the Cuckoos.

"Logan, Storm, Annabel, Isabel and Hawk, please meet with me in Cerebro please." The Professor said over the intercom.

Annabel and Isabel went into the elevator to take to the Cerebro room while Logan went upstairs to get Hawk and Storm, who was in her attic loft.

X

Storm was about to go down the staircase when she reached Hawk's room. She heard some sobbing. "Hawk?" she asked, opening the door a little. Hawk was lying on her bed, with Isis's head on the bed side. Storm walked over to her. Isis looked up and stepped back willingly. "Hawk, are you okay? What's wrong?"

Hawk sat up. "I'm sick of the Cuckoos taunting and teasing," Hawk said, sniffing. "They think they own the place and can keep teasing the residents for fun."

Storm looked at her sympathetically. She was teased also when she was her age. Logan knocked on the door, and they both looked up. "Hey," he said. "The Professor wants us downstairs."

"We know," Storm said, getting up with Hawk, and walking over to him. Hawk walked on with that mischief look in her eye. Isis followed.

"How's she doin'?"

Storm shrugged. "She's trying hard not to get into a power struggle with the Cuckoos, but she's getting close to the edge again. Then again, I think that Dazzler is about to blind the Cuckoos if they keep it up. What happened downstairs anyway?"

"I actually didn't hear most of it," Logan said as they walked down the staircase. "I heard Isis growling and when I came into the room, the Cuckoos were there with their most likely victim. Then Phoebe called Isis a beast and the horses almost broke lose, had Hawk not pulled Isis away telekinetically."

"Horses?" Storm asked giving him a curious look.

"Working on it," Logan said. Storm laughed.

X

Storm and Logan were the last ones to come into the Cerebro room. "From what Hawk told me," Charles began. "There are two other mutants. Cerebro's picked up on two, mutant signatures, related. It's possible that they could be fraternal twins."

"Two girls, two boys, or boy and a girl?" Hawk asked.

"Boy and a girl," the Professor replied. "How did you guess that so quickly?"
"Crystal and I knew a pair of fraternal twins at Apopka High. Two girls that looked nothing alike, and they always said that they were twins. One was tall with red-gold hair and the other was slightly shorter with curly dark dirty blond hair, sort of like mine."

Charles nodded, then continued. "Given the current state of things, I want you five to go out and try to recruit them. Storm, you'll lead, Logan you'll be second in command. I don't want any of you to be alone at any point."

"What about Isis?" Hawk asked. "She has some pretty keen senses to the world around her."

"Isis can go with you," Charles said. "As long as she can be kept under control." He gave her a meaningful look. She nodded and got up and went to get ready. Everyone else followed.

X

As they walked down the ramp, Isis picked up a scent trail. They got maybe ten feet when she growled. "Great," Hawk muttered. "The Brotherhood's here." It was maybe another moment before they stepped out in front of the group. Annabel and Isabel came up behind Hawk on either side, while Logan came up beside Storm. Isis had her hackles raised and was snarling. "What the heck are you doing here?" Magneto stepped forward, flanked by Mystique and Sabretooth. Two new members followed. "Great," Hawk muttered again, "now there are two new mutants to deal with."

Storm stepped up behind her and placed her hand on Hawk's shoulder. A signal that told Hawk to step back. Magneto smiled at this. "Same thing you are, my dear; to get some new recruits."

Storm felt Hawk gather her energies to bear. She gave Hawk a warning glare and the air relaxed. "We don't want any trouble," she looked at Hawk. "Do we, Hawk?"

"No," Hawk seethed. Wolverine looked at Storm. She could tell that he was caught between wanting a fight, and trying to find the kids instead. Send me to find them, Hawk said telepathically. Storm flicked her eyes briefly toward her before replying.

Are you sure?

Yes, Hawk said. I have a lock on the twins through my telepathy. Send me with Mystique. She and I are both shape-shifters and with her out of the way, y'all won't have to worry about copies.

Storm saw the logic in Hawk's plan. Alright, but if the Professor finds out about this, he will kill me.

No, sweat. You know my reflexes are pretty quick, and I'll make sure to keep five feet distance from her.

She looked at Logan then gave the slightest nod toward Hawk and Mystique. He reluctantly nodded. "Alright, how about we work out a compromise. We'll send out our shape-shifter, Hawk, and you'll send out Mystique with her. Hawk has a lock on the mutants through her telepathy."

"What ever happened to your sister?"

"None of your business," Hawk snapped. "Let's just say that my powers were dormant up until a few months ago."

"Anyway," Storm intercepted, "those two will go and recruit them while everyone else stays here."

Magneto thought about this for a moment, then nodded to Mystique. "Deal, Windrider, my shape-shifter for yours. At least now we won't have to worry about any copies."

Storm rolled her eyes and Hawk stepped forward to Magneto. "Let me tell you somethin'," Hawk said darkly. "If you or your pals get anywhere near my friends, Isis, that wolf, will be allowed to give you a bite that you won't wish to feel. If you plan on any attack, I'll know about it and you'll wish that you'd never seen my face."

"Hawk," Storm called. Hawk turned to look at her. "Go, we'll be fine."

X

Hawk walked with Mystique out to a drainage area. "After you," Hawk said, holding out her hands in a pass-by gesture.

"I don't think so," Mystique said shaking her head.

"Look," Hawk said irritably, "If I had wanted to pull a prank on you, and I won't say that I'm not tempted, I would've done once I was out of Storm's line of sight. I can do much more than telepathy and shape-shifting, believe me."

Mystique looked at her then realized something. "Your sister was the one that could produce and control fire wasn't she?"

Hawk nodded. "Yup, as it turns out I have the exact same powers as she did. Including controlling all four elements." Mystique rolled her eyes then changed into a snake while Hawk changed into a Hawk and followed. Then they came into the main tunnel. Hawk led the way through the maze.

X

Logan and Storm were in the X-jet, watching the twins from the view port. Or at least Storm was. Logan was to busy giving Storm a massage and trying to kiss her neck. Storm giggled. "Logan," she laughed, "not while we're on assignment."

"Why not?" Logan asked. "The girls are fine out there."

"You little pushover," Storm said. Isis started barking at something. "I think you better go see what's going on."

Logan growled a little, but went anyway.

X

Sabretooth watched at the edge of the trees, next to the jet as Wolverine came down the ramp. He was upwind, so he had very little chance of being detected. As soon as the Wolverine had his back turned and started toward the barking wolf, Sabretooth went up the ramp.

X

Storm felt the air displacement as someone came up the ramp. "Back already?" she asked, then stopped as she saw Logan step into view down below. By the time she looked into the view port for the reflection, it was too late. Someone grabbed her hair and she froze instantly. She didn't have to look at the face that was coming around on her right, she felt his claws on her scalp. "Sabretooth," she whispered, her voice filled with fear and disgust.

"You and the Wolverine are in a relationship now," Sabretooth stated. He started to stroke her cheek, and she tensed at his touch. She suddenly wished that she had gone with Logan.

X

Annabel and Isabel were talking with each other when one of the Brotherhood came up to them. "And what are your pretty little names?" he asked.

"What's yours?" Annabel asked.

"Fair enough," he replied, "I'm called Avalanche."

"Right," Isabel said, not really interested. "Nice to know. Good thing there isn't any snow around."

Ann laughed. Avalanche growled, and was about to clap his hands when Ann stopped him. "Whoa, easy there, tiger, she was just kidding. Everyone knows you need sound to cause an avalanche. So, I'm assuming that you make seismic sound waves. Not really sure what good that'll do 'ya against someone who causes earthquakes." Avalanche backed off a little.

"So then what do you do?"

"Me? I control the other two elements: Air and Water. She controls Earth and Fire."

They turned to see Logan walk toward Isis, who had started barking. Both Isabel and Annabel knew why, and laughed when she laid down and rolled on her back.

X

Logan walked over to the white wolf. "What?" he asked. "What is it?"

Isis just rolled onto her back and sort of teetered back and forth, as if she was asking for a belly rub. Isabel and Annabel weren't too far away and laughed at this. He turned to see that she had a view of the view port and growled. "You've gotta be kiddin' me," he said. "You mean you did all of that so that I could get away from Storm for a bit?"

"Actually," Isabel said, her red eyes twinkling with amusement, "I think Hawk told her to do that. Don't forget that they can contact each other at great distances as well."

Again Logan, "You really think that's funny, don't you Hawk?"

Isis suddenly flipped from her back and started barking again, razor sharp teeth bared. "Don't start this," Logan said.

"Uh... Logan," Annabel said, "I don't think that was Hawk."

Isabel turned to see what her sister was staring at. "Yeah, I think she's right, I really don't think that was Hawk this time. Look."

Logan turned to see what they were talking about. They had a perfect view of the view port. Logan saw that Sabretooth was in the cockpit, standing right next to Storm. He unsheathed his claws and dashed toward the ramp, Isis right on his heels.

X

Storm was now gripping her armrests, her knuckles practically white, as Sabretooth started to kiss her neck. Not exactly the best part of her day right now. "You're making a very big mistake," she said darkly. Sabretooth stopped and turned to look at her. He stares into her fearful brown eyes, and she tries to avoid his amber gaze, but he only laughed and stroked her left left cheek; the way she was trying to look until his claw stopped her, and forced her to turn her head toward him. She shut her eyes, but that only made him smile more. The air was by now charged with electricity. She would have used her lightning by now, but that would ruin the controls if she missed or only grazed him. Plus, the twins were too close for her to use an outside source. She could try to fight him hand-to-hand, but Sabretooth was much bigger than her and he had his claws and brute strength to help him overpower her. She was about out of options, until she felt, then heard the sound of claws scraping the ramp; followed by the thumps of feet.

Isis came rushing in and went straight for his legs. Sabretooth barely noticed, and just kicked her. Isis yelped, and Storm grimaced. She recovered though, and went in for another. Sabretooth kicked her with the ball of his foot smashing against her head, and then kicking her in the ribs again. Isis squealed and yelped twice. Storm gasped as she smashed against the wall. When Hawk found out about this, she was going to have a bone to pick with him. At least that will give her something to think about other than the Cuckoos. Sabretooth then came in front of her and whispered in her ear. "Is that all you've got?"

"Hey, bub," Logan called behind them. Sabretooth looked up to see Wolverine, with claws unsheathed, and fire in his eyes. "You like beating up defenseless girls." Isis growled, then whimpered. Looks like she fractured a rib, she thought. "Storm, get Isis outta here."

Storm was about to, but Sabretooth grabbed her by the neck and dug his nails into the back of her neck. "She's not going anywhere."

X

Storm and Wolverine are in the jet together, Isis said telepathically to Hawk as she levitated through the tunnels. They were in the one of the working ones and there was no way Hawk was going to touch that gunk. Hawk smiled and giggled a little.

Get their attention somehow, Hawk sent back. It was too good to pass up. Bark at something.

Alright.

"What are you smiling about?" Mystique asked.

"Oh, you wouldn't understand," Hawk said. "But I'll tell you anyway. Isis is going to pull a prank on Storm and Logan. Turn left." They left the river and found dry land where Hawk could land her feet.

"So, Windrider and Wolverine are in a relationship with each other?" Mystique asked.

"I don't think that's any of your business," Hawk replied. "They should be up a little farther ahead."

"So why do they call you Hawk?"

"Because of my name in a book series call 'Warriors' and the fact that I own a hawk. Why do they call you Mystique?"

"Can't you find that out for yourself?"

"I don't like to pry people's past. Especially if it's painful. I know what's that's like and I don't want to experience any more pain than what I have already felt. My guess is that because your past is a mystery to them. A unique history."

She was right about the twins, though. A boy about her age was kneeling by a small fire. A hawk was glowing was right above it. When the boy looked up he dashed off into the next tunnel. "Wait!" she cried.

"Leave him," Mystique said. "If he's too scared to face us-"

"Mystique, shut up." Hawk noticed there were shelves around her. Using her telepathy, she realized that the tunnel that the boy had rushed into was actually an alcove. And that the other mutant was a female, in the shelves. "We're not here to hurt you. We just want to talk."

The hawk was starting to glow brighter. Hawk focused her telepathy on the girl. "What's your name?" she asked inaudibly. Then she knew. "Kestral," she said turning the direction of the shelf that Kestral was on. The hawk instantly turned into a dagger, and went to the girl's open hand.

"How do you know who I am?" she demanded.

"Did you really think that you or your brother were the only ones with gifts?" Hawk asked, nonchalantly. "I have a variety of powers. Including telepathy."

Kestral jumped down as her brother came out of the alcove. Hawk could see, thanks to Kestral's dagger, that she was about her height with her reddish brown hair in a pony tail. She was a little creeped though by the neon-yellow eyes. Her brother, was a little taller than they both were, with spiked blond hair- sort of like Angel's- with a light violet shade in his eyes that captivated her. "So then who are you?" Kestral demanded, bringing Hawk out of her thoughts.

"My name's Ashley, but I'm known as Hawk. This," Hawk indicated, with a slight nod of her head to Mystique. "is my mutual partner, Mystique."

"Mutual?"

"Let's just say we work on different sides." Hawk said brusquely before softening a little. "I'm part of a team of mutants called X-Men. Our teacher is a Professor called Professor Xavier or Professor X for short. Our leader is the Headmistress, Ororo Munroe; but we like to call her Storm. We're hoping that maybe you two would join us. Maybe even learn more about your abilities and learn to control them."

"And become the softies that you all are," Mystique sneered.

Hawk turned to make a comment, but then grabbed her head. Pain was shot through her entire brain and nervous system, causing her to sink to her knees. Then she screamed only one name. "Isis!"
"Hawk," Kai said, rushing over to her. "Hawk what is it?"

"Isis," she whispered. Her voice was filled with pain "She's my... my wolf. Something's happened to her."

"And that's why you should join the Brotherhood," Mystique said. "We'll show you what it's like to enjoy life as a mutant. And to show that you don't need to restrain yourselves as a mutant."

The pain in Hawk went away. "Don't listen to her," Hawk said.

Mystique spun in the air and kicked her in the head, causing it to snap to the left. "Hey!" Kai exclaimed. Hawk moaned.

"Come on Kai, let's get out of here," Kestral said.

"You're going with her?" Kai asked, shocked. "After what she just did?"

"Well, Mystique makes alot more sense to me than she did. " With that they both dashed out of the tunnels.

X

Kai stayed with Hawk until she got up. "C'mon," she said, grasping her ribs.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"I have a telepathic connection with Isis," she explained going up the manhole. "Whenever she gets hurt, I feel her pain in the location of where it hurts. Do you need anything?"

"No," Kai said, following her. They came up into an alley.

"Nice, place," she commented.

"So what now?"

"You afraid a heights?"

"No," he said, not really sure whether to ask if she was kidding or not.

"Then take my hand and hold on tight."

Kai did and they shot up in the air together.

X

Logan knew he couldn't rush head on into Sabretooth. He'd just use Storm as a shield. There was a sudden concentrated blaze behind him, shot at Sabretooth. That knocked him down, with a bad burn on him. Storm gasped. "What did you do that for, Is?" someone asked behind him. He turned to see the twins had arrived.

"What do you think?" Isabel retorted. "I had to get him away from her somehow."

"Yes, but you could've just severely injured her," Logan said.

They looked to see Logan looking at them. "Hi, Logan," Isabel said.

They all rushed toward them, Annabel going to Isis. "Logan," Storm breathed.

"Hey," he said gently. "It's alright."

"Logan, I think he's got me. His claws... it feels like..."

"Hold on," he said pulling her forward. Sabretooth's claw tips were inside the skin.

"What's going on here?" a voice called from behind them. They turned to see Hawk with a boy right behind her. Then she turned to see Isis. "Isis!" she cried. As she hurried over, she saw Sabretooth and Storm. She turned to Annabel. "Keep an eye on her okay?"

Annabel nodded. Hawk went over to Storm. "Okay, Storm, keep real still. Don't even breathe if possible." Hawk placed her finger tips just below the claws and concentrated. She then slowly drew the claws out of the skin. The claws were out in a few minutes.

"Okay," the boy said. "Ew."

"Deal with it," Hawk said.

Sabretooth stirred. "I've got a bone to pick with you," she said.

"Later, Hawk," Logan said, helping Storm up.

"Do me a favor guys," Storm said, getting back into the pilot's seat. "Don't tell Damien."

Hawk nodded and the rest agreed. Hawk went to Isis. "Do me a favor then, dump him." She pointed to Sabretooth, and Logan did obligingly.





You must login () to review.