Damien woke up with a headache. After arguing with his mother the night before and barely getting any sleep, his head felt like it was going to explode. He looked at his alarm clock. 3 A.M. "Uh, that's just great." He mumbled to himself. "I need to get some space, maybe the shadows will help me clear my head." He said. He walked over to his sliding glass door, which led to a balcony, and then he walked outside. At this time of night, he felt at peace.

He was in his natural habitat. The darkness always calmed him down. He knew he had control of it. He wasn't scared of it, there was nothing to be scared of.

He used his powers to lift himself up into the sky. He could control the darkness, the shadows, the very thing peopled feared. He laughed to himself. He remembered when he first met his mother. It was on a night like this.

Damien heard somebody moving outside of his room. Why is anyone here? He thought. He lived in an old house. It was ready to collapse. In this house he was safe, from everything and everyone. When he first got his powers, his real mother was proud, but his step-dad thought he was a freak. It didn't bother Damien much, because he never liked the guy anyway. Then he heard someone removing the boards on the windows, then a cough (from all of the dust), and then footsteps. "Hello? Is there anyone in here?" He heard a female voice say. "I don't want to hurt you, I want to help." She said. He could tell by the way she spoke, that she was telling the truth. Damien got up out of his old bed and walked to the door. He cracked it open. He saw a beautiful woman standing there with long white hair. She quickly turned toward where he was hiding. "Hello?" she asked.

"Get out." Damien said with a strong voice.

"Listen, if you're Damien, I know what you're going through, I'm a mutant just like you." The woman said.

"So, what if you are?" He retorted. "I don't need anybody. I've been living on my own for three years, I think I'll be fine."

"Well, will you at least come out so I can have a good look at you?" She asked. He didn't know why, but he did as she asked. It could have been that she reminded him of his mother.

"What do you want?" He asks coldly.

"My name's Ororo Munroe, I work at a school for mutants. I was wondering if you wanted to join." Damien looked at her. She was stunning.

"So you run a school for people like us? So wait, what are your powers?"

Ororo smiled. Her brown eye's fogged over white. The temperature in the room dropped. There was wind. "I can control the weather. What're your powers?"

Damien laughed. His blue eyes fogged over black. "That's funny, cuz I can control the darkness." Ororo laughed.

That was such a good memory for Damien, soon after he joined the school, Ororo and him became close. He began to call her mother and she referred to him as 'son'. It was the happiest time of his life, until he got captured. But after a year, he was reunited with his mother.

She showed him that he shouldn't hate anybody, that everybody had good in them. At this point in time, he hated one person. Sabretooth. He wanted him dead. He'd hurt his mother for the last time. He told Rowan that she was going to be with Storm from now on, and that she was to protect her at all costs.

Damien's thoughts were interrupted by a familiar voice. "I thought I'd find you up here." He looked down to his balcony to see his mother. He hadn't noticed that he was floating about one-hundred yards above the mansion. "Mom. Hey. How are you feeling?" he asked.

Ororo used the winds to lift her up next to her son.

"Okay, I guess. I wanted to know if you're okay." She said. She laid a hand on his shoulder.

"Yeah, mom, I'm fine." He said, sullenly.

"Damien, you should know better than to lie to me. I know that when you're up here, you're worried about something or thinking a lot about something." She said.

"It's you."

"What? Me? Why?" Ororo asked.

"Mom Sabretooth could have killed you! Don't you understand that?" Damien said.

"But he didn't-"

"Yea" he interrupted her, "not this time, but what about the next? What if next time there's nobody around to help you? He could kill you! I don't want to lose another mother to a psychopath!" Damien yelled.

Ororo hugged her son. His real mother was killed by his stepfather when he tried to kill Damien, but she wouldn't let him. So he killed her to get to him. Thankfully Damien got away. Ororo noticed that Damien was crying. He rarely cried. "I- I can't lose you too. I've already lost one. I can't lose another." He sobbed.

Ororo just held her son closer. "Damien, I won't leave you."

"Promise?" He asked.

"I promise." She said. She gave her son another hug.

"I need you to do me a favor." He said. "What is it, son?"

"I want Rowan to be with you at all times now. Please, don't go anywhere without her. She can at least help if you get into trouble."

"I guess I could, for you." She said, "I think we should go in." She said. She lowered herself back onto the balcony. "Come on. It's past your bedtime."

"Mom…." Damien groaned.

"Now young man." She smiled up at him.

He smiled right back. I may have lost one mom, but at least I found her. Damien lowered himself back onto the balcony. "Rowan, go with mom." He said. Rowan got up off the bed and headed for Ororo's room. Damien laid down in his bed. "Night mom." He said.

"Goodnight son." She whispered as she shut the door.

"Come on Rowan." Ororo said as she walked out of her son's room and down to her own.

X

The next morning Ororo woke up to Rowan licking her face. "Get up!" Rowan said.

"I guess Hawk was right, that does work. What time is it?" She asked as she rubbed her eyes.

"It's seven." Rowan said.

Ororo jumped out of bed and got ready. "Oh man, I can't believe that I slept in." She said. "Let's go Rowan." Rowan jumped off of Ororo's bed and followed her.

When Ororo got down to the kitchen, the only person there was Hawk. "Hey Storm." Hawk said. "Good morning Hawk, why are you up so early." She questioned her. "I couldn't sleep. I heard you and Damien talking last night."

Ororo looked at Hawk, "What all did you hear?" She asked.

"Just about how Damien's really worried about you, you know, he's really protective over you." Hawk said with a smile, "I think he'd even beat me up if I tried to hurt you, but I would never do that."

"I know Hawk." Ororo said.

Just then Phoebe and her sisters came in. "Hey bird-brain, where's the elemental frea-" Phoebe stopped mid sentence when she seen Ororo standing there with Hawk.

Hawk smiled.

"What was that Phoebe? I didn't quite catch that last part?"Ororo asked

"N-nothing. Ms. Munroe." Phoebe stuttered.

"Oh really? Because I think that that earned you and you alone to clean the black bird, inside and out." Ororo said, "You will do it this Friday. I hope you don't have anything planned."

"No Ms. Munroe." Phoebe walked looked at Hawk. Hawk had a wide grin on her face and stuck her tongue out at Phoebe. Then she saw something familiar.

"Ah!" Phoebe said as she saw Rowan, "She's going to attack me." Phoebe cried out as she jumped behind her sisters for protection. "No I'm not? I'm Rowan, not Isis. Don't worry, I won't attack you unless you give me a reason to." Rowan showed her teeth.

Phoebe cowered behind her sister. "Relax, I won't let Rowan hurt you."Storm said

"Okay." Phoebe said as she quickly walked away from the kitchen, afraid that Rowan would attack her any moment.

Hawk looked at Storm, "Thanks" she said.

"For what?"

Hawk laughed, "For giving me something to use against them next time they try to pick a fight with me or the twins." Ororo smiled and walked away, Rowan following her closely.

X

Isabel ran up to Hawk in the hallway, Annabel close on her heels. "How did Damien find out?"

Hawk shrugged. "I don't know. I may be a blabber mouth once in awhile, but I know how when to keep it shut."

They looked at Annabel. "Don't look at me," she said, holding her hands up defensively.

Then it hit Hawk. "Isis," she growled darkly. "Isis must've told Rowan."

"And considering Rowan tells Damien everything," Isabel continued.

"Rowan told Damien," Annabel finished.

"I'm gonna kill her," Hawk said.

"I'll dump the body," Isabel said.

"You've been watching SVU again," Annabel said to Isabel.

"If anyone asks, tell them I'm burying a puppy," Hawk said teasingly.


Chapter End Notes:
Damien sees Ororo like a mother to him. There's a story on fanfiction called the shadow series that will give you more info. Unfortunately, since it's all of Shadow's ideas, and none of mine, I can't post it. She DID however borrow my character, but it was through my permission. All I did was help her with some idea on how to finish it.



You must login () to review.