Hawk was heading out for the stables for another ride. She stopped at the tack room when she noticed a black cat with virtually no eyes. She knew who that was and telepathically located him. "Alright, Shadowmaker," she called out, looking up at where the bales were in the hay loft. Kai looked out and over.

"How did you know it was me?"

"Do you really think you can hide from me?" She asked, placing her hands on her hips. "This is my hideout. It's actually more of my refuge or sanctuary."

Kai sighed and shook his head at her question. "Get down here," she said.

He did and landed softly next to her. "What're you doing here?" she asked.

"I could be asking you the same thing," he replied.

"That doesn't answer my question."

"You're not answering mine."

Nancy Drew moment, she thought. Then, she smiled. "I usually come out here to blow off some steam, helps me clear my head. That black mare over there is mine," she said, nodding slightly towards Midnight Storm. "Her name's Midnight Storm. Although when Storm's around, just call her Midnight."

"Why do you call her Midnight Storm?" he asked.

Hawk laughed then beckoned him. "Follow me."

Storm was munching on her hay when Hawk came to the door. She looked up and nickered. "Come here, girl," Hawk said. Storm did. As she lifted her head up, Hawk blew into one of Storm's nostrils. Storm blew back, and Hawk giggled.

"Why did you do that?" Kai asked at her strange way with the horse.

"It's an old Native American trick. Basically, it's telling her that I'm her friend, and when she blows back, it means she's mine," Hawk explained, wrapping her arm under and around the horse's head, before using her other hand to move the forelock. There was a small grayish star mark. "It looks like a hurricane, so that's why we-I call her Midnight Storm."

There was a screech and they looked up to see a hawk up there. Who's the new boy? Sky asked teasingly.

"Oh, you just stop it," Hawk replied. Kai looked at her. "Get down here if you want to say hello."

Sky did and landed on Hawk's arm, her talons not doing any damage to the flesh. Hawk then placed her on her shoulder. "This is Sky," she said.

"Gees," he said. "How many animals do you have?"

"Just three, Isis, Storm and Sky." Hawk paused for a moment. "Do you want to go outside?"

"Sure," he said. Hawk took Sky off her shoulder then did a thrusting motion that the hawk took as a cue to take off. Kai followed her out of the stables. They found a small area under a canopy of trees to sit under. They were also close enough to the mansion that any of the adults could find them in case they broke curfew on accident. The sky had just grown dark and stars were just starting to appear.

"Are you thinking about you're sister?" she asked.

"Yeah, are you reading my thoughts?"

"I don't need to, your body language says it all."

"So, what else can you do besides telepathy and telekinesis? You were talking to Sky as if you could understand her."

Hawk smiled. "That's because I can. One of the things that came with my telepathy. I can also control the four elements- which includes the weather- shape-shift, and transform into the Crystal Hawk if necessary."

"Wouldn't that be part of your shape-shifting ability?" Kai asked, a little confused.

Hawk shook her head. "No. What would be part of my shape-shifting ability is transforming into you and then using your powers. The Crystal Hawk is my ultimate primary ability. It's where all my powers are at their strongest."

"So, where's your family?"

Hawk suddenly had a haunted look on her face. Then she shook it off, but still avoided his gaze. "They're dead. Yours?"

"Same here. Well, except for Kestral."

Hawk nodded. "Never know what your family will do."

X

Kai, looked at her questioningly. She sounded like she knew more than she was saying. "You sound like you mean more than your saying."

"I do," she sighed. "I had a sister once. A twin-well, more specifically a clone." That shocked him, but he let her continue. "When we first arrived, she joined the Brotherhood and made everyone in the mansion believe she was dead. I knew it wasn't true. She was a mutant too, and had the same powers as I do. The only exception to that was she couldn't heal herself and I can. It was then that I found out I was a mutant. I held such a grudge against her that, during our second encounter, I had a small accident. I had amnesia for awhile. Then they all came back. It turns out that the Brotherhood was being controlled by a powerful telepath called the Shadow king. He had tried to control my sister before, and he was partly successful that time. I managed to snap her our of it, but the Shadow King wanted Storm. In the end, Crystal died, but we saved everyone else."

"So, you've been through this before, right?"

Hawk nodded. "She's buried in the memorial gardens."

"I'm sorry."

"It's alright, it's good to talk about it though," she sighed. "Storm was right."

"Wanna go inside?"

"Yeah, I think they're watching Tim Hawkins. He's hilarious."





You must login () to review.