Hawk had taken the day off to go to a horse show the next day. Logan said it wasn't a problem to take her and that he would meet up with Storm later. It wasn't one of the important shows, so Hawk didn't mind Storm not going. Storm was finishing up something for Mr. Shaw- as her day job was being a secretary, even though he already had like three- when Hawk and Logan came in. Hawk and Logan took their seats at their desks. Storm came by, being the good wife, and gave Logan a peck on the cheek. If they were to pretend to be married, then they had to make it look good.

Logan didn't seem to mind it though. In fact, he seemed to be enjoying the extra attention. Hawk would playfully roll her eyes at this sight and continue working on whatever she was doing. But the day wasn't going to be peaceful for long. Sabretooth came up behind her, and grabbed her shoulders. Before she could do anything, he traced a claw along the base of her neck, as if warning her. "I know why you're really here," he whispered, chillingly, in her ear. "And I just wanted to tell you that, your life hangs by a single thread. You know what would happen if I were to tell Shaw. And then who would take care of the runt?"

Storm tried to turn around, but he held her firmly. "I wouldn't try that if I were you."

"What do you want?" Storm asked. She was trembling now. Both from fear for Hawk's safety and her own, but mainly for Hawk's.

"What every man wants," he replied, raising his clawed hand and stroking her cheek. "A woman to claim as his own."

"I'm married, Creed." Storm gasped in pain as he scratched her neck.

"Do you honestly think I believe that?" He asked harshly.

Now Storm was terrified. She was about to start asking how he knew, when Hawk intervened.

"Hey! Get away from her!"

Sabretooth growled. But stepped back.

"You want to tell me why you're harassing her?" Hawk asked. "I'm sure the DA will just love hearing you out on this one."

Sabretooth laughed. "What DA?"

"The DA that allowed you to become a CI."

Sabretooth laughed. "I guess no one told you that the DA let me off the hook." He looked back down at Storm. "I'll see you later, Princess. Think about my offer." He said in her ear. Then he turned and left.

"What does that mean?" Hawk asked, after a tense silence.

"Hawk, I-"

"What does that mean?"

Oh, boy, Storm thought. Logan walked in from getting something from one of the vending machines.

"What's going on here?"

Hawk sighed looked around then motioned to the adults. "Follow me."

They followed her to a secluded area in the back of the room, where no one would bother them. "You guys want to tell me what's going on?" Logan asked.

"I should be asking you the same question," Hawk said crisply. "Sabretooth stopped by and decided to mess around with Storm. When I intervened, and threatened him with the DA, he said there was no DA. So what does that mean?"

Storm sighed and looked at Logan. They both knew they were going to have to tell her now. "Sabretooth walked."

"What?"

Storm held up her hand to stop her from saying anymore. "We didn't have enough evidence against him. Therefore, we had to let him go."

"But what about your kidnapping? Last time I checked, that was a crime."

"There were no witnesses. There was also no signs of a struggle."

"You're leg?"

"He claimed that I twisted my ankle while I was on a hike. It was my word against his."

"The animal cruelty charge?"

"That one didn't stick either..." Storm hesitated, and looked at Logan for help.

"When you healed her," Logan said. "You basically took away the evidence of the attack."

"But I had to!" Hawk cried. "She was going to die if I didn't."

"We know," Storm said gently. She tried to take Hawk's hands, but she jerked them back. Tears were starting to form in her eyes. "Hawk," Storm said slowly. She knew Hawk was on the brink and if she went over, you had to wait awhile for her to calm down. "Hawk, this isn't-"

"Don't," Hawk said holding up her hand. "Just... don't." Then she darted out of the building. Logan was about to go after her, when Storm stopped him.

"Don't. She'll come around. It's really best to leave her alone when she's like this."

Logan nodded slowly as Storm sighed. And the day had begun so well.

XMDII

Hawk had run all the way back to the hotel room. She sat by the window, with her knees up, and looked out it as she cried. Why didn't they tell me? she thought. I could handle it... most of it. They didn't have to tell me when I found out from the source.





You must login () to review.