"I used to work for Shaw," Storm explained a little later at a table in their hotel's restaurant's. Storm was in the hotel room, showering. Storm and Logan had gone downstairs for the promised drinks. "Hawk did also. She was only ten years old; but she was very bitter and very vicious. She was being sold as a "slave" to various people. Problem was, once she was sold, no one could get near her. Or her friend, Emily."

"Emily?" Logan asked. The name sounded familiar to him. He just couldn't place it.

Storm realized she said a little too much there and silently cursed herself. "You didn't hear me say that. Hawk finds out and I'm a dead woman. Anyway, after people got burned from trying to take her away, she was always put up for a resale. She eventually caught Shaw's attention. He originally tried to kill her because she was bad for business, and sent her into the Arena. He thought he would just kill her in the fight, but, she killed her opponent instead, with no remorse. She was then promoted to assassin when Shaw realized her abilities. which..." she swallowed. "Which was where I was."

"And you're a cop?" Logan asked incredulously.

"I never got caught, neither did Hawk."

"How did you two meet?"

"I was... sent to buy her. She wasn't to coax either. I hadn't realized Shaw's intentions until too late. When she came out unscathed, I was so relieved. But then she was assigned to be an assassin, and I suddenly had dread. It wasn't long before I finally managed to get Hawk out of the business along with myself. I got a normal job and a normal life."

"Is that why Hawk hates Shaw's guts?"

"I'm not going to go into the details of it. But that's the overview of it, yes."

"Wow, now I know it's not a good idea to mess with you two."

"I would assume you wouldn't think it wasn't a good idea to mess with any woman," Storm countered teasingly.

Logan shot her a dirty look. "Now you're just doing that on purpose."

Storm laughed and took a sip of her club soda.

XMDII

Storm, Hawk, and Logan walked into a building where Shaw kept his offices. They were there to get their assignments and find out where they would be working tonight at the club. They waited outside his office until they were called in by his assistant, Emma Frost. They all took seats. "Thank you for coming in," Shaw said in a pleasant voice.

Hawk, who was still in her bad mood, rolled her eyes. "Ororo, I want you to be working in the white room tonight. Ashley, I want you in the blue room. James the Arena area."

Storm saw Hawk stiffen at the blue room. She hated that room, and Storm knew that she would probably take any opportunity to burn it to bits. "Would it be alright if she worked the white room with me?" Storm asked quickly.

"I don't see anything wrong with that," Shaw said thoughtfully. "I just thought that she would like to take the stage for the blue room since she liked to sing so much."

"Not that disgusting provocative music, dumb nut," Hawk said bitterly. Storm shot her a look.

"Then I guess it won't be an issue. But that comment is going to come out of your paycheck."

Hawk just glared at him defiantly. Storm knew she wanted to say that she didn't care, but kept her mouth shut. They both got up to leave, Logan and Storm thanking him for his time. Just then, someone else came into the room. Storm turned and gasped. Hawk nearly flicked her palm open for her fireballs, but Storm grabbed her wrist to keep her from doing it. Logan stood in front of them both, his steel gaze watching the newcomer's every move.

XMDII

Hawk couldn't believe her eyes. She had thought that they had arrested this guy last month on their last case. She suddenly felt like Nancy Drew when she ran into an old culprit that she put away in Ransom of the Seven ships. She tried to flick her palms open to create a fireball, but Storm grabbed her wrist to keep her from doing it. Logan kept his hand in front of them both. "Am I interrupting anything?" Victor Creed, aka, Sabretooth, asked.

"No," Shaw said before Hawk could open her mouth. "They were just leaving."

Logan led the way out, Hawk followed with a murderous look that even Logan would be terrified of. Sabretooth shot both of the females a toothy smile. He reached out to Storm as she walked by. "Surprised to see me?" he whispered

Storm tried to slap him, but he grabbed her wrist. "Victor," Shaw called. Sabretooth released her and Storm walked quickly out the door.

Once they were clear Hawk started. "How the heck did he, of all people get out? We arrested him last month!"

Storm and Logan knew. She could see it in their faces from the way they looked at each other. Logan answered. "He made a deal with the DA."

"What?"

"He made a deal with the DA, and became a CI."

"Oh, no,"Hawk said. She wasn't going to stand for this one. "Uh-uh, I'm not going to work with a filthy, dirty, criminal who nearly killed Storm. This crosses the line."

"Hawk, we had no idea about this," Storm said. "If we had, I wouldn't have accepted the assignment. We're not supposed to have any contact with each other anyway. That was one of the conditions."

"Well, how are we going to explain this one? 'Sorry, but we need to arrest Victor after he tried to flirt with me while we were playing assassins.' Like that's going to fly. He'll use that against us if we try to arrest him. Not to mention, he was also working with Shaw five years ago while he was working with the PD. He knows about our past!"

"How do you know this?" Storm asked.

"Wait," Logan said "Sabretooth was moonlighting five years ago?"

Hawk nodded. "He used to be my 'mentor' of a sorts. I didn't like him though. So I asked for a transfer. Preferably someone female."

"Okay," Storm said slowly. "We'll do our best to avoid him."

XMDII

"So what's the 'black room'," Logan asked curiously. They were all driving to the club and Logan had asked for a list of rooms that they had and for a description. Hawk was in between them, and she tensed. Her breathing becoming rapid. Storm looked at her sympathetically, then she brought her in close, placing Hawk's head upon her shoulder.

"I was in that room far too long," Hawk whispered. Storm placed her hand over Hawk's ear- what little good that would do- and turned to Logan.

"Don't bring that up with her around. She'll get worked up, and you don't want to see that."

Logan nodded in acknowledgment as they pulled into the parking lot. When they got in, they gave Logan directions to the Arena, then Storm and Hawk walked into the White Room dressing room. They grabbed their costumes, Hawk's was a simple white dress that went to her ankles, while Storm's was more elaborate; it showed the back of her shoulders and was sort of a halter-top. Hawk pulled her bangs out of her face and pulled her hair back into a pony tail with a white hair-tie. They both went out of the dressing rooms and started to help wait tables. There was one person in particular that neither of them wanted to see, but he was on their list of tables to wait.

Storm made Hawk stay behind her for two reasons, one, to keep her out of Sabretooth's reach, and two, to make sure that Sabretooth didn't make a grab for her instead.

Someone called to Storm, just as they reached Victor's table, and she had to go deal with it.

XMDII

As Storm left to deal with the patron, Hawk kept an eye on Sabretooth. He gave her a sly smile. That was the last straw for her. She walked over to give Sabretooth a dose of his own medicine; however, he grabbed her wrist before she could swing a punch at him, and tried to pull her close. She fought him all the way though.

"Victor," Storm said sharply behind Hawk. Victor automatically released her and Hawk stepped back behind Storm again. "You know the rules. If you want to do something like that, then go to the blue, red, or green rooms." Then she turned to Hawk, wanting an explanation.

"He smirked at me," Hawk explained defensively. "I just wanted to wipe it off his face."

"Ororo! Ashley!" Someone called behind them, before Storm could reply.

"What is it, Bryan?" Storm asked, turning to him.

"You two are needed at the Arena," Bryan replied.

Storm stiffened. "Why?"

"Boss says you two are the main attraction tonight."

Storm tensed, but didn't let it show much. Hawk was secretly glad to be going into the Arena. Now she had an excuse to beat up someone, and take all of her anger with Sabretooth out on the same person.

XMDII

Logan passed around the bowl for bets. So far, he didn't like this Arena. It was based off of ancient Roman Times when men fought as Gladiators and warriors to decide who was the dominant person in Rome. Basically, it was assassin versus assassin. And the battles were gruesome. They had three types of fights: Weapon vs. Weapon; hand-to-hand, and powers vs. powers. Sometimes they would be a mix, just to add a little edge to the fun. This current fight was a weapons match, and there was alot of blood and gore as the current competitors slashed at each other with their blades. Eventually, one of them- Logan couldn't remember his name, and didn't want to for that matter- stabbed the other in the heart and stomach. Automatic kill. The victor raised his hands up in the air, like he had just won a boxing match instead of killing someone in cold blood. The crowd roared in approval.

Logan shook his head in disgust, and that was when Hawk and Storm walked in. Hawk was back in her dark clothes, with her iPod in her ears, and Storm was also back in her normal clothes; but, Logan could see that something was wrong. Storm's face was taut with worry and fear. He walked over to them. "What's goin' on?" he asked.

"We're up next into the Arena," Storm replied nervously. "Hawk's going first."

Hawk left them and took the small tunnel to the dressing area. When she appeared again, she wore a black jumpsuit with an evergreen cloak. Other than that, everything else on her was black. Her dirty-blond hair also looked black from the way the light hit her hair. She looked up at Storm, with a hard look of determination in her eyes. This fight was going to be a combination of powers, weapons and hand-to-hand combat. Probably the reason why Storm was so tense. He placed a comforting arm around her. "She's going to be fine, 'Ro," he said, trying to reassure himself as well as Storm. He just hoped that he was right.

XMDII

After changing, Hawk came out to loud whistles, and jeers. She gave them all a dark look. She was not someone's toy, nor was she someone who wanted to be treated like one. Thankfully, this fight was going to be a combination of weapons, powers, and hand-to-hand combat. She was going up against one of Shaw's arch enemies' assassins', Deathstrike. Another woman. She was Asian, and had nails like Wolverine's claws. Good thing about that was she didn't need any weapons. Hawk smirked. She could win this fight easily, but she liked to show off her skills and she also wanted her anger towards Sabretooth to come out.

"Fight!" The announcer said. Hawk morphed into Mara Jade, and started to circle Deathstrike. She pushed play, and started to listen to Whispers in the Dark. The concert version.

Despite the lies that you're makin'
Your love is mine for the takin'
My love is
Just waitin'
To turn your tears to roses

(Roses!)

As soon as the guitar solo hit, Hawk took the lightsaber from her hip, ignited it, and started to slash at Deathstrike. Attack, retreat- while swinging the lightsaber in front of her to cover her body- attack, retreat.

Despite the lies that you're makin'
You're love is mine for the takin'
My love is
Just waitin'
To turn your tears to roses

I will be the one that's gonna hold you
I'll be the one that you can run to

After letting Deathstrike have her shots at her, Hawk leapt into the air, and landed behind Deathstrike. Tossing the lightsaber to her left hand, she flicked her right palm open.

My love is
A burnin'
Consuming fire

No!

Hawk held her position for a moment then threw the fireball at Deathstrike, catching her face. Then she tossed the lightsaber back to her right hand.

You'll never be alone
When Darkness comes I'll light the night with stars
Hear the whispers in the dark

No

You'll never be alone
When darkness comes you know I'm never far
Hear the whispers in the dark
Whispers in the dark

With Deathstrike distracted for the moment, Hawk decided to go in swinging. She could easily take Deathstrike down, but she wanted her fun. Deathstrike also had a sword-like weapon on her, and it was also made of adamantium. She used that to block Hawks swings. Hawk pressed her though. Taking in the offensive, never missing a beat to the song.

You feel so lonely and ragged
You lay here broken and naked
My love is
Just waiting
To clothe you in crimson roses

I will be the one that's gonna find you
I will be the one that's gonna guide you
My love is
A burning, consuming fire

No!

You'll never be alone
When Darkness comes I'll light the night with stars
Hear the whispers in the dark

No

You'll never be alone
When darkness comes you know I'm never far
Hear the whispers in the dark
Whispers in the dark

Hawk repeated her moves from the beginning of the song all the way through the chorus. Hawk started to slash and aim faster at Deathstrike during the guitar solo. Deathstrike managed to block her a couple of times; but she had no idea that was what Hawk had intended for her to do. Hawk then twirled the saber in front of her body, keeping it far enough away so that it didn't touch her, but close enough to block any attack from Deathstrike. Deathstrike to aim a stab at her once, but caught the saber and they locked for about four seconds. Hawk broke it, then spun to keep from being hit, and started to slash again. Repeating her attack retreat sequence about four times. Then, Hawk jumped, landed- causing Deathstrike, who getting frustrated with her opponent, to spin around. Hawk was in the outer ring area, and Deathstrike was dead center; Hawk made a run then jumped. Her lightsaber skimmed Deathstrike's weapon as the chorus began again and she landed on one knee.

XMDII

Storm looked away. She knew Hawk was going to get killed by the way she kept repeating her moves. She couldn't watch the girl get killed. "Are you okay?" Logan asked.

"I can't bear to watch," she whispered, burying her face into his shirt.

XMDII

No!

You'll never be alone
When Darkness comes I'll light the night with stars
Hear the whispers in the dark

No

You'll never be alone
When darkness comes you know I'm never far
Whispers in the dark
Whispers in the dark
Whispers in the dark

Hawk made an easy recovery as she slashed upward to keep from being decapitated. Then she repeated the moves from the chorus again. She knew this was risky, lest her opponent find a weak spot and exploit it, but this was her only option. She didn't know any other move to go with the song. However, after the second time she did the chorus, Deathstrike had tried to stab her in the stomach, where it would usually be unprotected during her attack. That gave her an advantage, and made Deathstrike think twice about every move she made. They locked weapons again at the third and final 'Whispers in the Dark.' Hawk spun out of reach, leapt to the other side of the ring and gave a full charge, for ten seconds. Then she leapt again into the air, catching Deathstrike in the chest with her boot, and stabbed her straight through the heart.

XMDII

"Storm, she did it," Logan said, shaking her shoulder a little."Look."

Storm turned to see Hawk standing there, breathing heavily, and sweating a little. Deathstrike was down, a hole burned through her chest. Suddenly, the hole healed, and Deathstrike got up and tried to stab Hawk. Hawk sensed it though, and swung the lightsaber, which was in a reverse grip now, slicing her head off completely. Hawk shut down the lightsaber, morphed back into her normal self, and left the Arena. Storm knew why Hawk had waited so long to decapitate Deathstrike. Hawk didn't like doing decapitation, if it could be helped. However, Deathstrike could heal herself, and that would have caused the fight to last far too long. By waiting for Deathstrike to heal and come at her instead, that allowed Hawk to claim self-defense.

Storm raced over there to meet her. Then she gave her a tight embrace. "Ok... Storm..." Hawk said. "Choking... not breathing."

"I don't care," Storm said. She knew Hawk was only playing around, but still, Storm didn't want to let go.

"Easy there," Logan said, coming up behind her. "You're gonna crush her."

Storm released Hawk. "Don't ever scare me like that again! What song were you listening to that you had to repeat your moves?"

"Skillet," Hawk replied easily, as if this were the sort of thing she did all the time. "Whispers in the Dark from the Comatose Comes Alive album to be precise."

Storm rolled her eyes. Hawk was crazy about that group. "I better go get changed," she said. "And then we can go back to the hotel."

"Who're you going up against?" Hawk asked.

"Calvin Rankin," Storm replied.

"Mimic?"

"You know him?"

Hawk nodded bitterly. "He was the guard five years ago. Wonder what he did to get himself into this situation."

"Any pointers?"

"Not really, considering you're pretty much dead right now."

"What?"

"Storm, he has my imitating ability. He'll imitate your powers and then it's pretty much over."

"How long does it take for him to start the mimicking?"

"You have to be within a 10 foot radius of him. I made sure he didn't get any closer to me when I saw what he did when Frost went near him once."

"Okay. He'll be an easy target then."

XMDII

The ride back to the hotel was smooth. Storm was able to take care of Mimic with a strike to the chest, and he didn't get anywhere near her. They didn't know why Shaw didn't give them someone harder, it was just too easy a fight. They all went to bed tired and not really waiting for the next day to come.





You must login () to review.