Hawk was woken up by Rogue early the next morning. "Hawk get up."

"Why?" Hawk asked groggily, looking at her alarm clock. "Rogue, it's seven in the morning!"

"I know, but Mystique's escaped. Storm's called all of the X-men down for a debriefing."

"And what does this have to do with me?" Hawk asked. "You know the only reason why I'm still here is because I have no where else to go."

"Storm wants you to come with us."

"What?"

"Now don't go shootin' the messenger, I only did what I was told. Besides, Bobby couldn't stop talkin' about you after your fight with Mystique."

"Remind me to give him my thanks," Hawk growled, getting up. She sighed then gave Rogue a small smile. "I did enjoy giving Mystique a beating."

XXXX

The girls just managed to get to the Blackbird as everyone was boarding. "Good, you made it," Storm said. "Thanks, Rogue."

Rogue nodded and boarded. Storm looked at Hawk. "Look," Hawk said. "I'm not doin' this because I want to, I'm doin' this because, one you asked- so I guess I sort of have to go- and two... I guess I just want to give Mystique another beating."

XXXX

After Storm landed the Blackbird and everyone disembarked, everyone received a partner- minus Hawk, who was going to be working with Storm and Logan- and was assigned an area to search. "I guess that leaves us with the tunnels," Hawk commented.

"Tunnels?" Storm asked, an old chill coming over her. Hawk nodded toward the nearest tunnel that led to an old storm shelter from the World Wars. Great, Storm thought. It had been a couple of years since she'd walked through a maze of tunnels; that was back at Alkali Lake, when she was rescuing the children from Colonel William Stryker. She had originally thought she had put her childish fear of small places behind her, only to find herself wanting to get back to the surface.

You going to be okay? Hawk asked telepathically, interrupting her thoughts.

Storm glared at her for a moment, then smiled slightly. I'll be fine.

"Are we going or what?" Logan asked.

"Yeah," Storm said, looking away from Hawk and taking the lead. "We're going."

XXXX

Hawk stumbled through the complete darkness. She may be one of the more powerful mutants, but that didn't mean she had everyone's abilities. "Storm, can you give a spark?"

"How 'bout a torch if you're that desperate?" Logan said.

Hawk snorted. "Only if you want to get Bar-Be-Qued." She replied, remembering one of her favorite lines from Sky High.

"Okay you two," Storm said, flicking her palm for the spark. Hawk could tell by the way she relaxed that she would feel alot better with something to light the way. Although, she still walked a little stiffly. Isis was sniffing around, picking up Mystique's scent trail. Even though, they all knew Wolverine could do the same thing just as efficiently, it helped to know that there was someone else to back him up.

They reached an intersection at the end of the tunnel, and that was when Isis stopped and growled. Hawk could see several torches- that probably haven't been used in years- still on their holders, and used her fire ability to light up each one. "Thanks, Hawk," Storm said.

"No problemo."

Isis still stood where she was though, growling; the fur on her spine becoming a mohawk. What's wrong, girl? Hawk asked.

She's here, Isis replied, along with Sabretooth, some mud-slime that smells like a toad, and someone who smells like charcoal.

Hawk froze at the mention of Sabretooth's name. How do you know Sabretooth's here?

He smells like a graveyard.

Hawk shifted into Mara Jade and got into the Ataru opening stance. Because Mara Jade had one of the stronger "danger senses", Hawk's own danger sense became augmented. Someone was definitely here, but- as was usually the case when it came to her danger sense- she couldn't tell which direction the danger would be coming from until too late.

"Hawk, look out!" Storm cried. Knowing that Storm could sense when people were coming, Hawk ducked and rolled- with enough sense to turn off her lightsaber- into a combat crouch. Sabretooth landed right in front of her; Mystique and Toad dropped down from somewhere, and Pyro came through one of the tunnels.

Great, Hawk thought. "Yo, Toad!"

Toad looked her direction, and Hawk took out a 'Fruit by the Foot'. After unwrapping and unrolling it, she tore it down the center, and started chewing on one part. Toad didn't like being taunted- or having his time wasted- though, and made a grab with his tongue- if anything, just to really gross her out- for the part she was chewing on. Hawk had expected this though, and- as if she was Indiana Jones- whipped the other half around Toad's tongue; then- with the help of her telekinesis- she pulled him down and knocked him out cold with the pommel of her lightsaber. "When will you learn?" she muttered, popping the rest of the half she was already chewing on into her mouth.

XXXX

Pyro decided to take his chances with his former teacher. Storm manifested a cloud above him; adding a roll of thunder in warning and for effect. Pyro ignored it, and ignited his Zippo. Storm doused him, and a fireball hit him from behind. Pyro whirled around to see Hawk there; back in her normal form, with a fireball in each palm. Pyro sneered and turned toward her, not knowing what he was about to get himself into.

Then, Sabretooth bowled Storm over, knocking the wind out of her. This also put her in a tight corner...

XXXX

During Hawk's firefight with Pyro, Storm's fear hit her; like a tsunami overpowering a building. This weakened her concentration a little, and allowed Pyro's blaze to come closer to her. Now, Hawk was in a tight spot. If she took a crucial second to get her psi blocks up, Pyro would more than likely gain the upper hand. If she continued on, she would lose more of her concentration, eventually all of it, and Pyro would still gain the upper hand.

With no other option, she ducked and rolled to the wall opposite of her. It took Pyro a second to realize that she wasn't there any more, and that second was all she needed to get her blocks up. Automatically after that, she clamped her wrists together and caused an even bigger blaze that shoved Pyro's blaze back; then she swapped the blaze for a spout. The water soaked him, and she grabbed his lighter with her TK, tossing it onto the a kind of shelf toward the ceiling. Without his lighter, Pyro was powerless.

Then, she turned to where she last saw Storm. Sabretooth was there, towering over her, as she coward closer to the wall. Hawk knew she was having a panic attack and- knowing Sabretooth was a sadist- she also knew that he was probably relishing in her terror; which made Hawk's blood boil. It was already bad enough that he caused Crystal's death, but, as he stood there- while Storm coward in terror- and smiled, that was the last straw...

XXXX

"Where did he go?" Crystal demanded.

Hawk shrugged, looking around the clearing. The two were having a fight about family secrets when Sabretooth jumped out of nowhere. After Crystal had delivered a few blows, he'd jumped out of sight; but Hawk wasn't fooled. She knew he was somewhere around here. Suddenly, he burst out of the trees, right where Crystal was. Before either girl could do anything, Sabretooth caught Crystal with a blow to the jugular...


XXXX

The flashback hit hard, and Hawk's anger reached it's peak. She casted a blaze- so hot, anyone that wasn't impervious to nature could feel the heat wave- to Sabretooth, knocking him back against the wall, leaving him roaring in agony.

Try as Pyro might to get the flames under his control and have go back to her, Hawk just added more.

XXXX

The heat wave paused the fight between Mystique and Wolverine for a second. As Mystique turned to see where it originated, Wolverine knocked her out with a punch to the skull. Then, he turned to see Hawk blazing Sabretooth. In any other situation, Logan would've let her continue; but, he knew she needed to stop before she killed someone. The heat became more intense with every step he took, and he would have sworn that she would turn into the Crystal Hawk at any moment.

It seemed though, that she was unaffected by the heat- which wasn't surprising considering she was a Floridian, and their highs down there tended to sometimes breach the hundreds. "Hawk," he said, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Hawk, that's enough." He was surprised that that actually got through to her. He continued. "He's down, Hawk, he's down. There's no need for you to go any further."

"Maybe not for you," Hawk muttered. Then, she used her telekinesis to sweep Sabretooth along with Mystique, Toad, and Pyro back into the tunnels. That was when he saw Storm huddled in the corner. He stepped forward, but Hawk held him back. It was then, that Logan noticed the sir was charged with electricity. "What's going on?"

"Sh-she's claustrophobic," Hawk said, blinking rapidly. Logan had no doubt that whatever Storm was going through, Hawk was receiving telepathically. But something else that she said struck home.

"What?" Logan was shocked by this revelation. In all the years he's known Storm, he never knew she had claustrophobia. "How's that? She seems perfectly fine at the mansion, and you know how crowded that place can get."

"Try a house falling on you and your family- killing both of your parents- your mother dying right next to you, and being buried under the rubble for three days, all when you're six years old."

"How do you know this?"

Hawk had that guilty look on her face. "I sort of slipped into her mind and found out; then she told me later. She's more or less gotten over most of it though. It's only in times like this, that it really gets to her."

"So what do we do now?" Logan asked, stepping closer towards Storm.

"No, don't-"

Too late. The air became super-charged with electricity. Knowing Storm's emotional condition, Hawk knew they had only mere seconds before things went from worse to disastrous. "What's goin' on?" Logan demanded.

"Storm's going on power overload," Hawk replied. "And if you don't want to get fried, get behind me. Now."

Logan did just that, knowing she wasn't joking. Just as Hawk managed to get up a force-field up, a lightning bolt struck right between them and Storm. Then the air was once again still, and so was Storm. Logan rushed over to her. "Hawk, what's goin' on?"

"Relax, will ya? She's fine. She's just unconscious. This is what happens when her claustrophobia takes over; she loses control over her powers, then she passes out from exhaustion. She'll wake up in..." Hawk pretended to look at the watch that she didn't have for dramatic effect. "...three...two...one."

XXXX

Storm stirred a little as she came to. She smelled ozone and realized what had just happened. She looked over her shoulder and thanked the Lord that they were both unscathed. "See?" she heard Hawk say. "Told'ya she was fine."

Logan looked back towards her. "You okay, 'Ro?"

"Yes," Storm said a little shakily. "I'm fine."

Yeah, Hawk sent. We'll see about that when I talk to you.

Storm glared at her. What have I told about reading my thoughts?

Sorry.


Logan glanced at Hawk. "What?" she asked, directing her question at Logan. No one answered. "Look, can we just go so that we can get out of here?"

"I'm going to have to agree with Hawk on this one," Storm said, getting up. They all met up with the others at the Blackbird, who were shocked to discover that their group was attacked, and left a Kitty screaming ambush.





You must login () to review.