They arrived back at the mansion by mid-afternoon, leaving the kids to do whatever they wanted. Hawk hung out with Kitty and Rogue as they caught up with Ali- Alison Blaire, Dazzler- and went to burn off some steam in the Danger Room. Colossus- Piotr Nikiolivitch Rasputin, or Peter; Angel- Warren Worthington III- and Iceman went into one of the common rooms with Samuel "Sam" Guthrie- Cannonball- to play pool. Logan overlooked the Danger Room session where the girls were. He had to admit, they were not a bad team.

Storm went to her green house. She could not believe that she had let her claustrophobia get the better of her. Sure, Sabretooth had knocked her down, and towered over her. But, she could have just struck him down with lightning bolt; but no, she had to give into her fear.

Then again, there had been something in his eyes- something dark and devious and very familiar- that made her skin crawl. And she knew it wasn't from the train station incident- let alone the statue of Liberty incident- despite herself wanting it to be.

XXXX

Storm went to bed that night, after making sure the kids were all in bed- even though she knew that they'd all probably get up again and raid the kitchen- without realizing that the sky had gone from a beautiful night, to an ominous black. As she drifted into a fitful sleep, the wind started to pick up, and, in the distance, thunder could be heard.

XXXX

Hawk woke up when she was shot into someone's nightmare. She, at first thought she was back in Florida because of the heat; but, it was night, and the buildings were all wrong. Plus, it usually cooled down a little at night in Florida, and the buildings were all wrong. Suddenly, a large shadowy figure appeared right in front of her; scaring the living daylights out of her and snapping her awake. Hawk knew someone was having a nightmare, but didn't know who, yet. There was a crash of thunder that probably woke the rest of the mansion.

Rogue stuck her head in. "Everything okay?"

"Don't look at me," Hawk said. "I'm not the one causin' this."

"If not you then..." Rogue looked at her. "Oh no."

"What?"

"It's Storm."

"What!"

The girls dashed three doors down, where Storm's loft was, and saw Storm tossing, turning, and moaning in her sleep. Logan came by then. "Can't you just wake her up?" Logan demanded, looking at Hawk.

Hawk tried to use her telepathy, but nearly got her brain fried in the process. "Sure, if I want to get my brain fried."

Logan went into the room then, and started to gently shake her shoulder. "Storm, Storm," he said quietly. "C'mon, darlin'. 'Ro, you've got to wake up."

Hawk and Rogue looked at each other with devious looks on their faces. Some of the other students started to crowd around Storm's door. That's when Logan popped his claws and pricked Storm's shoulder. Storm gasped and bolted up. Thankfully, as soon as she woke up, the weather calmed down. "What happened?"

"You were having a nightmare and the weather decided to have a psychotic break," Hawk said. That earned her a glare from just about everyone. "What?"

"Everyone back to bed," Logan said. Everyone did as they were told, but Hawk went inside her air vent. There was no way she was going to miss this.

XXXX

"Are you sure you're okay, 'Ro?" Logan asked.

"Yes, Logan," Storm said. "It was just a nightmare, that's all."

"It's been awhile since you've had one, 'Ro," Logan pointed out. "Ever since..." Storm gave him a warning glare that told him to drop it. He was about to say 'Phoenix'. Her best friend- and the love of Logan's life- Jean Grey, had lost control over her powers not long before Hawk and Crystal came along. Logan had been forced to kill Jean and they both knew it'd be a long time before either one of them got over it.

"Sorry," Logan said. "If you're sire your alright, I'll go back to my room now. 'Night."

"Good night, Logan." After he left, Storm looked up into the air vent. "Hawk, I know you're there. Get down here." Hawk pushed the vent open and slipped out. "How did you know I was there?"

"Did you honestly think you would get away with it?"

"I got away with it last time," Hawk countered, not revealing which time it was.

That's what you think, Storm thought. Hawk either didn't notice- which would be a real shock- or didn't care.

"So, what's going on Storm?" Hawk asked a moment later. "There has to be some sort of trigger." Storm gave her the same glare she gave Logan, but she knew it would do little good with her. Hawk liked to take chances and push her limits. "Storm, if you even think about sayin' Sabretooth, I'm gonna go digging through your mind until I find out. I don't suppose it'd help if I said I was woken up by your nightmare?"

"What?" Storm asked, shocked by what she just heard.

"There was some sort of shadowy figure in there. And I don't dream about shadowy figures. I at first thought I was back in Florida; but, the buildings were all wrong and the temperatures were warmer than Florida at night. So, it had to be in Africa. C'mon Storm, is it someone from your past?"

Storm sighed. "You have to promise not to tell anyone. Not even Logan."

"Okay, fine. Just tell me what's going on."

XXXX

"But you haven't seen or heard from this Farouk guy in years," Hawk said. Storm had just told her about a man she described as the living embodiment of evil. She'd only had a brief confrontation with him, but it was enough to know that she should never go anywhere near him again.

"I know, Hawk," Storm said. "That's the strange thing. I don't know if it's stress or if I'm going crazy."

"You're not going crazy."

"Thanks for the comfort."

"Storm, if you were goin' crazy, the weather would be goin' crazy 24/7"

Storm smiled then looked at her alarm clock. "I think it's time for you to go back to bed."

Hawk sighed. "Alright, alright. Night."





You must login () to review.