Ororo Munroe- Storm- walked the halls of the Xavier Institute. It felt good to be back at the school and back in business. She had just completed another successful training mission in the Danger Room with her co-leader of the X-men, Logan- Wolverine- and was heading back into her office to do some paper work.

She passed Kurt Wagner- Nightcrawler- on his way to his fencing class; Marie- Rogue- was with her boyfriend, Robert "Bobby" Drake- Iceman- in the kitchen, and it looked like they were sharing some icecream. The rest of her team was either in class or in one of the common rooms. As she passed one of them, a sight caught her eye, and she took a back step. One of the newer students, Ashley- the Crystal Hawk, or just plain Hawk for short- was reading a book on the couch; smiling and giggling. It didn't surprise Storm that it was one of her Star War books, and from where Storm stood, it looked like it was 'Heir to the Empire' by Timothy Zahn.

If there was one thing that Storm heard constantly from Hawk, it was about Mara Jade, her all-time favorite character. Storm knew that Hawk was one the part where Mara was being bitter toward the main character, Luke Skywalker. She never understood how or why that child was so amused by the character's bitterness. Then again, the irony was that those two characters got married later on in the series.

Whatever it was, this was a rare sight to see nowadays. Hawk had come a few months earlier with her identical twin sister- which they soon discovered was actually Hawk's personal clone- Lilly- Crystal. Crystal died a few weeks earlier thanks to Sabretooth. Ever since then, Hawk had become distant from others, and even stopped training. Storm had tried many times to get her to join the X-men in the Danger Room, but Hawk always refused. Storm knew that she was depressed from what had happened, but she was overcoming it slowly.

Thankfully, Katherine Anne "Kitty" Pryde- Shadowcat- and Rogue made her feel welcome and accepted. Although the feeling never lasted with her. Especially, when the Cuckoos were around. Storm was still debating whether to move on or go in and talk to her when the triplets walked in.

"Hey, bird-brain," Phoebe said. "Did you not understand the message when we said that you're not supposed to be in here when we are?"

Hawk spared them a glance and sighed while turning the page, the smile fading. She was obviously not going to get up during the good part, even if her mood had changed.

"Hey," Irma- also called Mindee- said, snatching the book out of her hands. "She's talking to you."

"Hey!" Hawk exclaimed, jumping up as the book was snatched out of her hands. "Give that back! That's an original copy of the 1991 first edition!"

"Like we care," Celeste said.

Storm could see that Hawk was deciding whether or not to use her powers against them. Not a good sign. As soon as Hawk jumped up, everyone in the room cleared out.

"Are they pickin' on her again?" a gruff male voice asked behind her. She turned to see that it was Logan, and nodded.

It was then that she noticed Hawk's fists clenching. Deciding whether or not to shoot them with a fireball, Storm had no doubt. "Should we interfere?" She asked, turning to Logan. In response, Logan stepped through the door.

"Is there a problem?" He asked.

The four of them looked up at him. "No," Hawk said darkly, glaring at the triplets. "I was just leaving."

As she stepped out, Storm moved out of her way. "I'm goin' for a ride," she said when she saw Storm. Storm nodded to her, and she walked on. Then Storm turned to the triplets. They all suddenly looked nervous. Storm held out her hand for Hawk's book, which Celeste gave to her. "Logan, could you come up with some kind of punishment for them, please?"

"How 'bout they work in the gardens for about a week?" Logan replied. The triplets suddenly had horrified looks on their faces as they thought about getting dirt on their clothes and nails.

Storm smiled. "That will work."

"Please, Ms. Munroe," Phoebe begged, "don't make us do this."

"You should've thought of that before you decided to pick on one of the students."

The triplets groaned as they walked out of the room- Celeste complaining to her sisters about how this was their fault and that she didn't any part of it- which was starting to get crowded again. Rogue and Shadowcat were among the spectators. Rogue looked at Logan, who just shrugged. Storm walked back to her office. So much for having a nice chat with Hawk.





You must login () to review.