Author's Chapter Notes:
I will be adding a BONUS scene later that I got off a couple of pictures. And Storm kisses Logan.
It was a glorious day, with only a scattering of clouds to gentle the sun with occasional moments of shade.

One in all, though, the students thought it should be raining. Something torrential, biblical even, would be far more appropriate to how they felt.

This was the private ceremony to what Charles Xavier considered his true family, the students he had gathered and mentored throughout the decades, all of whom- regardless of age- were feeling more than a little bereft, like ships that had lost their moorings.

There'd been the equivalent to a town meeting. Xavier had left some instructions in his will, but the faculty felt it would be best to give the students their own voice on how to proceed.

The decision was made to establish a memorial in the garden, because that was where he always where taught the hardest cases that came to him. He would take the offending parties and set them to work doing what was always difficult for him- caring for his roses. And because he was never one to pass up such an opportunity, those sessions turned into seminars of extraordinary variety and depth. A course on how to properly transfer a plant evolved quite naturally into a discussion on the nature of structure and balance, and how natural selection was affected by human engineering, which in turn led to a discussion of philosophy and a measure of history. And since he was he would not let anyone get away with just spouting- oh no, they'd had to buttress it with citations going back, invariably, to the dawn of writing- that would often lead to a course in Latin or Greek, or who knows what else. The deeper into this seemingly makeshift curriculum one went, the harder one wanted to work. A lesson learned, a life saved, roots put down- and not just for the rose. There was perhaps only one case who couldn't do that out in the garden with, thanks to her ability with the earth, and that was Hawk. But he always managed to find a way to make her useful.

He had an infectious love of learning, and a respect for knowledge that inspired the same for those around him.

Losing that, for these people, was like stealing the sun from their sky.

There were two stones, the greater cenotaph as tall as Xavier himself, emblazoned with a bas-relief of his face in profile, along with his name and the words Father*Mentor*Teacher. Beside it was a second pillar, slightly smaller, bearing Scott's name.

The air was still- Ororo had seen to that- yet the temperature quite comfortable. Each breath brought them the rich and varied fragrances of the garden, and their ears were touched from time to time by the buzz of honeybees and the occasional trill of bird-song from the surrounding trees. Farther off in the distance could be the keen of a hawk, calling for its mate.

Only three were painfully conspicuous of their absence: Jean Grey, Hawk- which surprised a lot of people, especially since no one could find her anywhere when she wasn't out riding- and Logan. Neither he nor Ororo had spoken of the events at the Grey household beyond the fact that the professor had been lost during a confrontation with Magneto, and for the moment, they were content to let the blame fall entirely on him. She also never had the chance to talk to Hawk, because Hawk was strategically avoiding her. No matter how hard Storm tried to find her, she was either busy or in the stables getting ready for a ride. Storm didn't push it for long, hoping Hawk would find some need to talk to her, but the girl was far too stubborn for her own good to let herself be caught emotionally, so Storm could do nothing but wait and hope. But Jean's manifestation of power had sent ripples through the aether that were felt by every student in the school with even a smidgen of psychic awareness. Ororo had to admit, when talking about it alone with Hank, that Jean's actions had likely been sensed by darn near every psi on the planet! In a school full of active, inquiring minds, encouraged to think outside the box, it wasn't long before the kids began putting the pieces together and drawing disturbingly accurate conclusions. So, now, they weren't just shaken by the loss of the man who'd recruited every one of them, who'd been their guiding light as they explored this strange new world of their powers; they also had to deal with the inescapable fact that one their own- perhaps the most power out of all of them, as well as the member of the staff who was second only to Xavier himself as a nurturing parental figure- had gone rogue.

Nobody had to ask where Wolverine had gone. The only questions were what he'd do when he found her, and whether or not he'd come back.

Ororo strode to a space on the grass just in front of Xavier's stone, and took a moment to compose herself- and, in that moment, she inadvertently allowed all present to see, and understand why, during her youth in Africa she'd been considered a goddess.

"We live in an age of darkness," she began. "A world full of fear and anger, hate and intolerance."

XXX

Messages of sympathy had come, not only from the President Cockrum, but from his predecessor, who'd laid groundwork for all the advances in mutant-sapien relations since. A discreet video feed had established that allowed these proceedings to be viewed from the Oval Office.

David Cockrum sat at his desk, his wife of many years at his side. He was idly sketching- which is what he did when he was stressed, to center his thoughts and ease his minds- a rough drawing of Xavier as he knew him best, from younger happier days. No staff were present, as this was a private moment; and presidents never liked anyone outside the of closest family to see them cry.

"For most of us," Ororo said, "this is the way things are and always will be. Some maintain it's hardwired into so-called human nature. But in every age, there are those who fight against it."

The news had been a body blow. None of the students had needed to be told that the professor was gone. They'd felt his passing the moment it happened- in a class, in dorm rooms; everywhere on the great sprawling campus- as shocking and undeniable as a blow to the gut. And yet- though the initial reaction of many was tears- discussion after the fact revealed that the predominant emotion, what they'd actually felt from Xavier, wasn't pain or sadness. Quite the opposite: they'd been aware of a fierce hunger to see what the lat over the next horizon, an eagerness to embark on the wonderful adventure. They felt a sense of grace and peace- and strangest of all, they felt joy.

XXX

"There was Moses, who led his people out of slavery, but never reached the Promised Land himself; Abraham Lincoln, who saved the Union and freed the slaves, but never lived to see his country at peace; Franklin Roosevelt, who led America through the Great Depression and the Second World War, yet died before the final victory; John Kennedy and Robert Kennedy, struck down cruelly before their time, their promise unfulfilled."

Hawk went out riding during the funeral. It wasn't that she didn't want to pay her respects, funerals just weren't her thing. She felt bad for avoiding Storm at a time like this, since Storm had lost a father for the second time. But, if she didn't she was going to end up talking about what she saw during the fight at the Grey's. She was sooo not ready for that. As she looked up, she saw Logan out on the balcony. Whether he saw her or not, she didn't really care. Hawk turned Midnight towards the forest, and galloped off.

"Martin Luther King Jr. who fought for equal rights but was struck down by an assassin's bullet."

Logan stood just inside the treeline, downwind so that he couldn't be scented. He didn't have a great view, he didn't really want one, but he heard every word that Ororo had to say.

"It wasn't something they asked to do. They were chosen. And he was chosen too."

She looked up, and her eyes found his at once, as though she'd known precisely known where to look for him. The pain in her eyes mirrored his, only more so- and Logan knew that she mourned not only the friends she had lost, but feared as well for those about to follow.

He understood completely, but turned away nonetheless. A figure caught his eye off in the distance, and he recognized it as Hawk on Midnight Storm. Obviously she knew he was there, and the look in her face said she didn't care if he saw her or not- probably if he told Storm her whereabouts also- then turned Storm and galloped off.

"Charles Xavier was born into a world divided; a world he tried to heal – a mission he never saw accomplished. It seems the destiny of great men to see their goals unfulfilled."

Rogue sat at the end of the front row, Bobby beside her, Kitty beside him. None were shy about their tears. Seeking comfort, Rogue reached for Bobby's hand, her sadness at the necessity of being able to touch him only through a glove. Some instinct, perhaps a minimal shift in the way he sat on his chair, prompted a sideways glance and she caught her lower lip between her teeth at the realization that he and Kitty were holding hands as well. Only, the other girl's hands were bare. None of them noticed Peter Rasputin sitting behind Bobby, with eyes only for Kitty. They'd been an item, once, and after they'd broken up, she'd spent a sabbatical year abroad getting over it. Problem was, he hadn't.

"Charles was more than a leader, more than a teacher. He was a friend. When we were afraid, he gave us strength. And when we were alone, he gave us…" – Ororo swallowed a lump in her throat – "a family. He may be gone, but his teachings live on through us, his students. Wherever we may go, we must carry on his vision. And that's a vision of a world united."

That was it. One by one, led by Rogue- whose idea this was- each of them walked to the cenotaph for a moment alone, to say their own farewells, and leave a long-stemmed rose at its base.

XXX

Marie headed for the door, a traveling bag in her hand and her long trench coat on. She was going to get the 'Cure', and no one was going to stop her.

"You need a lift, kid?" someone asked behind her. It was Logan.

Startled, she waited a beat before she turned to face him. Clearly, she knew that he knew where she was going, and she was prepared to tell him off if he tried to stop her. "No."

Logan slowly stepped up to her with a knowing look. "Where are you going?"

She sighed. "You don't know what it's like to be afraid of your powers, to be afraid to get close to anybody."

Logan shook his head wearily. She'd never know just how wrong she was. "Yeah, I do."

She shook her head too. "Not like this. I want to be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake… a kiss." She blushed furiously and looked away. It wasn't like she couldn't do it like everyone else- minus the kiss- but Marie, could only do it through a layer of clothing. It was driving her insane.

"I hope you're not doin' this for a boy."

She gave him a strange look, like she wasn't sure if she ought to believe him. "Shouldn't you be telling me to stay? To go upstairs and unpack? Or to at least bring someone with me?"

"I not your father I'm just a friend. Just make sure it's what you want. See ya around, Rogue."

"Marie," she corrected, and with that, she was out the door.

XXX

Hawk walked past Logan's room, to see him moving the beer cans. Despite her mood, Hawk grabbed her book, and went into the air vent. He was packing. Hawk rolled her eyes at him. How can you leave us when Storm needs you now more than ever?

"Where are you going?" a new voice asked coming in. It was Storm.

Oh, this is going to get interesting.

"Where do you think?"

"She's gone, Logan. She's not coming back."

"You don't know that."

"She killed the Professor."

Duh, Doofus. What more evidence do you need that Jean's gone insane in the membrane?

"It wasn't Jean. The Jean I know is still in there."

"Listen," Storm said, blocking his way. "Why can't you see the truth, huh? Why can't you just let her go?"

Logan suddenly grabbed Storm by the shoulders and pinned her against the wall, causing Hawk to jump. Cozy, she thought bitterly.

"Because... because..."

"Because you love her."

And you!

He nodded.

"Logan," Storm told him, "Jean made her choice." He started to protest, but she stopped him by laying her fingertips across his lips, a gesture that seemed to him very much a caress. It came to him at that instant that he wasn't the only one held by the grip of primal emotions. "Now it's time to make ours, so if you're with us, then be with us."

Ooooohhhhh, this is gettin' good.

She shifted her grip, sliding her hand down from his lips to cup his jaw in a way both tender and achingly intimate, revealing far more of herself with these few small movements than she'd done in all the time he'd known her.

I knew it! I knew she liked him!

"I've now lost two of my oldest friends, and the only father I've ever really known. I don't want to lose you, too."

With that she left him.

Logan turned toward the air vent. "She's gone."

Hawk sighed, kicked the air vent open, and landed. "I don't see you don't just let her go and move on."

"What?"

"Look, you're attracted to her, she's attracted to you... get the picture?"

Logan still gave her that puzzled look, and she rolled her eyes. "Look, if you wanna-"

"I don't want to; I need to."

"Whatever. If you wanna go, then go. But don't expect a warm welcome from me when you get back."

XXX

"So, what now?" Bobby asked. "What do we do?" It was the following morning after Xavier's memorial. A bunch of kids had gathered in one of the common rooms after breakfast, to be joined by Storm, Hank, and ultimately- to a smile of relief that wasn't returned- by Logan.

Storm shrugged. "I don't know Bobby."

Hank knew that none of them had thought that far ahead. They were all still too much in shock. Especially the youngest one there, Hawk. Everyone was surprised to see her downstairs, since she had hardly been out of her room since she got back from her ride yesterday. She was listening to 'Those Nights' by a band called Skillet while reading.

Hank spoke up, reluctantly, the doctor delivering the worst of news- news that seemed just about what everyone was expecting.

"Professor Xavier started this school, perhaps it's best that it end with him," Hank said. "We'll have to tell the students that they're going home."

"Most of us don't have anywhere to go," Bobby pointed out, looking at Hawk's direction.

"What?" she asked when she felt Bobby's gaze on her. "I ain't goin' back to that orphanage. I'll survive just fine on the streets like I have done before."

"Hawk," Storm said quietly. "If we were to ever close down the school, then you'd be coming with me."

"I can't believe this!" Bobby exclaimed. "I can't believe we're not going to fight for this school."

Storm didn't say anything, looking deep in thought. Hawk turned around in her chair and began a telepathic conversation.

XXX

Just tell them, Hawk said.

Tell them what? Storm replied.

You know what. About how you're the heir; how you're going to take Xavier's place.

How do you know about that? Storm asked, eyes narrowing in suspicion.

Hawk turned away slightly, looking guilty as she began to twirl her hair around her fingers. I uh... sort of used Isis for a little eavesdropping.

Storm gave her a dark look.

What? I got a talking to after wards. The Professor gave it to me after you left the room.

XXX

There was a creak in the floor as someone stepped towards the room. Storm looked up, as did everyone else, to see a boy in his late teens- early twenties tops- standing in the doorway. "I'm sorry," he said, "I know this is a bad time. I was told this is a safe place for mutants."

"It was son," Hank said.

"And it still is," Storm said getting up. "We'll find you a room." Then she turned to Hank. "Hank, tell all the kids that school stays open."

Hank and Bobby smiled; Hawk pumped her fist, saying "yes" inaudibly. Logan just continued to gaze out the window.

XXX

Storm watched from her room as Logan went to Xavier's grave. Hawk knocked on the door. Storm didn't have to see who it was to know. "What is it, Hawk?"

"How'd you know it was me?"

"You're the only one who comes up here."

They laughed. "I was wondering if you were going to the Danger Room?"

Storm shook her head as she continued to look out the window. "Not today."

Hawk shrugged. "Okay."

Storm suspected that she was up to something."I don't want anyone in the Danger Room, Hawk," Storm said as she walked to the door.

"Wasn't going to. I'm for toward the stables."

Of course you are, Storm thought. "Be back by dusk."

Hawk waved in acknowledgment. Storm returned to the window, and saw Logan coming in. She sighed and walked to the carriage house- which was right below her room. She grabbed the keys to his bike and waited.

XXX

Logan was surprised to see Storm in the carriage house. He had started to look for his keys,when he sensed her, and then saw her standing behind him. She had his keys.

Logan could tell by the sadness he saw in her face that she wasn't going to try to stop him. She gave him the keys and turned to leave.

Logan caught her wrist though, and she looked at him. They parted with an embrace that carried with it an acceptance of what was, but also a promise of a of a future not yet dreamed of. Then, with a roar that woke the house as he opened the bikes throttle wide, he hit the road. Logan had a lot of miles to go before he slept- and a promise to keep.

XXX

Storm blinked back the tears, not really knowing why she had them, as she walked back into the mansion. Probably because she was afraid of losing one of her friends- again. Hawk met up with her in the corridor. "I thought you were going out?"

"That was before I saw Logan," Hawk replied. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine,Hawk," Storm said, looking out the window. "It's dusk, too late for you to go out now. You can go tomorrow."

"Okay," Hawk said, a little puzzled by Storm's behavior. "'Night."

"Good night, Hawk."


Chapter End Notes:
ALTERNATE SCENE:

Hawk went out riding during the funeral. It wasn't that she didn't want to pay her respects, funerals just weren't her thing. She looked up and saw Logan out on the balcony. Whether he saw her or not, she didn't really care. Hawk turned Midnight towards the forest, and galloped off.

XXX

Hawk walked past Logan's room, to see him moving the beer cans. Despite her mood, Hawk grabbed her book, and went into the air vent. He was packing. Hawk rolled her eyes at him. How can you leave us when Storm needs you now more than ever?

"Where are you going?" a new voice asked coming in. It was Storm.

Oh, this is going to get interesting.

"Where do you think?"

"She's gone, Logan. She's not coming back."

"You don't know that."

"She killed the Professor."

Duh, Doofus. What more evidence do you need that Jean's gone insane in the membrane?

"It wasn't Jean. The Jean I know is still in there."

"Listen," Storm said, blocking his way. "Why can't you see the truth, huh? Why can't you just let her go?"

Logan suddenly grabbed Storm by the shoulders and pinned her against the wall, causing Hawk to jump. Cozy, she thought bitterly.

"Because... because..."

"Because you love her."

And you!

Logan let go of Storm and turned away. Storm took a step forward behind him, a little more than angry. "She made her choice, now it's time to make ours. So if you're with us, the be with us."

With that she left.

Logan turned toward the air vent. "She's gone."

Hawk sighed, kicked the air vent open, and landed. "I don't see you don't just let her go and move on."

"What?"

"Look, you're attracted to her, she's attracted to you... get the picture?"

Logan still gave her that puzzled look, and she rolled her eyes. "Look, if you wanna-"

"I don't want to; I need to."

"Whatever. If you wanna go, then go. But don't expect a warm welcome from me when you get back."


BONUS SCENE:

Hawk walked past Logan's room, to see him moving the beer cans. Despite her mood, Hawk grabbed her book, and went into the air vent. He was packing. Hawk rolled her eyes at him. How can you leave us when Storm needs you now more than ever?

"Where are you going?" a new voice asked coming in. It was Storm.

Oh, this is going to get interesting.

"Where do you think?"

"She's gone, Logan. She's not coming back."

"You don't know that."

"She killed the Professor."

Duh, Doofus. What more evidence do you need that Jean's gone insane in the membrane?

"It wasn't Jean. The Jean I know is still in there."

"Listen," Storm said, blocking his way. "Why can't you see the truth, huh? Why can't you just let her go?"

Logan suddenly grabbed Storm by the shoulders and pinned her against the wall, causing Hawk to jump.

"Because... because..."

Hawk had to blink a couple of times to make sure she wasn't seeing things; then her jaw dropped. Storm had just kissed Logan.

"Because you love her," Storm said, blushing. Logan turned away from her, and she took a step behind him, more than angry- although Hawk knew it was a facade to cover up her emotions from the kiss. "She made her choice, now it's time to make ours. So if you're with us, the be with us."

With that she left.

Logan turned toward the air vent. "She's gone."

Hawk kicked the air vent open, jumped out and landed. "Did that just happen?"

"I don't know," Logan said. "You were watching, you tell me."

Hawk rolled her eyes. "I don't see you don't just let Jean go and move on."

"What?"

"Look, you're attracted to her, she's attracted to you... get the picture?" She indicated the doorway where Storm had just left.

Logan still gave her that puzzled look, and she rolled her eyes. "Look, if you wanna-"

"I don't want to; I need to."

"Whatever. If you wanna go, then go. But don't expect a warm welcome from me when you get back."

XXX

Hawk walked along the corridors to find Storm in her room. "You okay?"

"Hawk, please tell me you weren't spying, and that I did not just do what I think I just did?"

"Uh... trick question?"

"I did didn't I?"

Hawk grimaced. "Yeah. You did."

"I don't know what came over me."

"Can't say I blame ya, trying to get the man I like's attention," Hawk said sitting down on the bed next to Storm.

"Why do you have to spy so much?"

"Because I'm bored and overwhelmed with curiosity."

They heard the roar of the engine. "He better not be coming back soon," Storm said.

"Hate to tell you this, but he probably will. Jean is getting more powerful by the minute, and Magneto has no idea what he's gotten himself into."



You must login () to review.