"I think you should go with something pink...maybe pale pink...it will really bring out your eyes." Jean concluded as she pulled yet another hideous dress from the rack of evening gowns. Ororo wondered how Jean managed to pick the ugliest dresses in the entire bunch. Her own dress was beautiful, but when it came to helping Ororo pick out a dress for the Professor's birthday celebration, Jean was fashionably retarded. Ororo looked on at the monstrosity that Jean presented to her as if it were the Holy Grail and wrinkled her nose.

"Jean, honey, I have a very strict policy against ruffles", she said simply and then moved on to another wrack. Jean examined the dress in her hands as if she were trying to figure out what was wrong with it. After putting it back she ran to another wrack and began sorting.

"I just can't believe you waited this long to get a dress. I've had mine for months and you wait three days before the party to shop for it now?" Jean shook her head.

"I guess it slipped my mind." Ororo admitted. In all actuality she was avoiding the entire dress shopping ordeal. Unlike Jean, Ororo hadn't been born a shopping enthusiast...especially for formal wear. She had almost allowed Jean to find a dress for her yet after seeing the choices her friend had made for her she was glad that she had decided to have the final say.

"Something black would be fine, Jean" Ororo said eyeing the striped and polka dotted print dress Jean had swiped with certainty. Jean shrugged "Yeah you're right. Scott is Mr. Conservative, he'll want to see you in something sophisticated. Do they sell wing tips for women?" Ororo looked up at her friend "Funny".

"I'm kidding. I love Scott and his little, quirks. Anyway, you won't believe the tux I got for Logan to wear. That man has a body tailored for Armani." Ororo took a moment to consider Logan and his...body. "I need you to talk to him." Jean added.

Ororo turned to Jean as if she had just been slapped across the face. She had spent the last few days ignoring him. The last thing she wanted was for him to corner her and start spouting more "What-ifs". Ororo's life was better without the "What-ifs", even though now after Logan had spilled the beans about Scott's intentions at the Professor's party Ororo wasn't spending much time with him either. She needed time to think...time to breath. She had always imagined her engagement to be a surprise, but now, thanks to Logan, that was all shot to hell. Damn him. It would have been better if he hadn't told her, then she wouldn't be agonizing over it. Then again what was there to agonize about? If she loved Scott, and she did, then she should be excited, and not...tormented. Damn him.

"Talk to him about what?" Ororo asked.

"About his tux. He insists on treating this party like its casual Friday and obviously that is not acceptable. He listens to you. You are the only one who can get him out of his jeans and flannel shirts." Ororo entertained the idea, and then forced it to pass by biting her tongue.

"We're all grownups, Jean. Tell him to wear the damn tux or he just can't come. It's as simple as that." Ororo spat and then snatched an elegant black halter dress from the wrack and headed towards the counter. She was over Logan and his hang-ups.

Jean followed her to the counter,"Did you two have a fight?"

"No."

"Ororo, you know I don't like to pry. It's better if you just tell me." Jean said innocently. Ororo knew she was right. She always preferred that Jean stay out of her thoughts, they were a dangerous place at times even for the Professor. Then again she didn't want to hurt her friend.

"Maybe a little one." she admitted.

"About?"

"Scott."

Jean rolled her eyes "What else is new? Logan's jealous of your relationship with him. I get it."Ororo looked at Jean in surprise "You do?"

"Logan is possessive, which can be hot—sometimes. With Scott in the picture he can't have you at his beckon call. He's been fine with it up until now. I don't understand why all of a sudden he would make waves -" Jean's eyes squinted for a moment and then shot open in surprise. Her girly scream of excite men drew in a few stares. Ororo held out her hands in a lame attempt to calm her best friend as she jumped up and down "Oh my god! I can't believe Scott asked you to marry him! I mean I can believe it, but-Oh my god!" Jean giggle excitedly and pulled Ororo into a massive hug. The cashier smiled at Ororo in congratulations. Ororo offered a weak smile in return and rolled her eyes at Jean "He hasn't asked me yet."

Jean stopped jumping and frowned "Then how do you-" Then the thought registered "Oh, that dick!"

"I agree" Ororo said, and then she paid for the dress and headed for the exit with Jean at her side.

"Well obviously you don't need his permission, and I'll bet that is just eating away at him."

"It shouldn't be. I told him that nothing is going to change."

"Of course things will change!" Jean said "But that's what's going to be so great about it. Oh, I can't wait for you to have a baby!"

Ororo shook her head "Pump your breaks, Jean. Let's hope that overactive imagination of yours is a side effect of being a telepath.

"I'm so excited for you two. I'm going to help you plan everything!" Jean promised, and then she squealed again with joy and hugging Ororo again. Ororo smiled, but for the life of her she couldn't muster the same level of excitement Jean possessed. That meant something, but she decided not to dwell on it.

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:

"I guess yer speakin' tah me now?" Logan said taking another punch on the punching bag dangling in front of him. Just for fun he imagined that the bag was Scott's dumpy face.

Ororo stood firm with her arms crossed over her chest and her lips set in a straight line. "Answer the question" she demanded.

Logan continued to punch the bag "I don't know. Felt like tha thing tah do at tha time."

Ororo's mouth grew tighter, and Logan couldn't help but think how sexy she looked when she was pissed. He buried the urge to pull her into his arms and instead punched the bag harder.

"I am trying to have a serious conversation with you, Logan."

"That what this is?"

"Logan!"

Logan took a final swing at the bag and it popped from its chain sending it flying across the room. Ororo took a step back startled. The bag slammed into the opposite wall bursting open and spilling sand onto the floor.

"Tell me somethin'. Are yah angry that I tried to kiss yah or are yah angry that yah wanted tah kiss me back?"

Ororo swallowed hard and suddenly found herself unable to meet his gaze "I didn't-"

"Bullshit" he accused as he approached her. Ororo's arms dropped for the first time. She wanted to be ready if she needed to push him away. He didn't touch her, but he stood so close that if she took a deep breath their chests would collide. Ororo didn't know if she wanted to stand her ground or run away. Lately, her ability to think clearly seemed directly related to how close Logan was standing to her. "I hate liars," he said evenly his breath hot on her cheek. He smelled a sweat and cigar smoke, but still she felt drawn in by that "You should know better than that, darlin"

She looked into his eyes then and saw the same look that had been in his eyes the moment before he tried to kiss her on the ferris wheel.

Run for your life she thought, but she didn't have to. The doors to the gym swished open, and Scott cleared his throat, "Am I interrupting something?"

Ororo stepped away from Logan as the spell he seemed to have on her was broken.

She covered her guilt with a smile and rushed to Scott's side. "Logan and I were just talking about his tux for the party weren't we?" she said looking to Logan her eyes pleading for confirmation.

"Whatever you say princess," Logan replied half heartedly, as he swiped his bottled water from the floor. Ororo briefly toyed with the idea of striking him down with a bolt of lightning, but instead thought of something better. She turned into Scott's arms and pressed her lips against his reassuringly in a sweet delicate kiss. Logan looked away.

Scott made a sound in his throat when she pulled away from him, as if he didn't want the kiss to end. Ororo tossed a triumphant look over her shoulder at Logan as she grabbed Scott's hand and turned to leave.

"You might want to clean that up" Scott said gesturing toward the broken punching bag on his way out. Logan saluted him with his middle finger.

:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:

Logan thrust himself into Jean for the final time and shuddered as his climax pulsed throughout his abdomen. Still sweaty from the gym, he had pulled Jean into a nearby closet, and immediately went to work. It hadn't been as good as he had hoped it would be, but at least he had worked off a little of his frustration after arguing with Ororo. Who did she think she was?

"Did you hear me?" Jean asked as she buttoned her shirt and smoothed her hands over her skirt. Logan shook his thoughts "What?"

"I said, I love you," Jean repeated. Logan wasn't sure what to say. Logically he knew what his response should have been, but it wasn't the first thing that came to mind. Instead he said "Thanks," he then he kissed her briefly on the lips. Jean stood motionless for a moment as she processed his response. Just as Logan placed his hand on the door to open it he heard the knob click from the outside. Obviously Jean was not ready to leave.

"I'm sorry, did you just say 'Thanks'?" she demanded. "Tell me something Logan. What exactly are we doing here?"

"Jeanie-" he said reaching for her waist.

"Don't Jeanie me! Thanks? Really? I'm a little confused because it seems a lot like I'm am in this relationship alone."

"Where is this comin' from? I thought we had a good thing goin'"

"You are an emotional cripple, and a complete waste of my time, she spat, and the lock on the door clicked free and swung open. Jean brushed past him doing her best to shove him out of her way. Logan followed behind her "Wait! Wait!-Storm wait!"

Jean stopped on the balls of her feet and pivoted around speechlessly. She looked at him for a few moments, trying to determine if she had heard what she'd thought she'd heard.

"Did you just call me-?"

The doorbell rang, once and then twice, but they both made no move to answer it. When the bell rang a third time Ororo called from upstairs "Do you think maybe you two can keep your hands off of one another to answer the door?"

Tears welded in Jeans eyes as she took to the stairs. The doorbell rang again, and Logan cursed under his breath.

:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:

Instead of following Jean, Logan decided to pack his bag. He needed to get away from the house for a while. Of course he would be back for the party, but he had no intention of sticking around for all the drama that seemed determined to unfold…How could he have been so stupid? Calling Jean, Storm? What was all that about?

Logan zipped his duffle bag closed and tossed it over his shoulder as he headed towards the door. Scott lifted his head to Logan just as the door swung open, and Logan cursed. Ordinarily he would have smelled him coming, but he was so focused on getting away that he hadn't noticed. "Gotta minute?" Scott asked stepping into the room without invitation.

Logan walked into the hallway "Not really."

"I'm going to cut to the chase." Scott said, and there was something in his tone that made Logan stop and listen as Scott continued"There's something going on between you and Ororo."

Logan held his hand up "Save tha shake down, Cyc. Yer way off base-"

Scott smirked "Am I?"

Logan's shoulders tensed at the sudden wave of aggression that Scott was kicking in his direction. Scott's disposition raised the hairs on his arms, and Logan's fists clenched involuntarily. Scott noticed, but didn't back down. Instead he took a step forward. "Your relationship with Ororo has always been a little weird to me. I tolerate you only because I know how she feels and I trust her."

"Well, there yah go, bub. Yah trust her. Case closed," Logan retorted.

"Yeah, but I don't trust is you." Scott said his face rigid.

"In case yah didn't notice, Slim, I'm with Jean."

"Why don't you try saying that with a little more feeling?" Scott challenged. He didn't believe a word Logan said, and he had no reason to. He was the outsider who had turned the mansion on its ear every since he had blown in. "Ororo tries to see the good in you, but I know better. You take what you want, when you want it, no matter who it hurts. I won't let you hurt her. You get in the way of our plans, and I'll put you down hard."

Logan's jaw tightened at the threat "Lookin' forward to it," he replied impulsively. Scott's stance stiffened as if the he were prepared for Logan to attack. After a moment of one wishing the other would make the first move Scott chuckled sardonically and slammed the door behind him. -SNIKT- Logan unsheathed his claws and turned to swing at the door. They scraped across the thick wood surface and wood shavings cascaded to the floor. No. He wasn't going anywhere.

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:

With Jean suddenly under the weather Ororo was left to put the finishing touches on the party alone. FedEx had delivered a mound of contracts that were now spread out before her on the Professor's desk. Ororo had a new respect for Jean and what she had done for the Professor. It was all a well oiled machine…all that was left was signing the checks for all of the services that she had ordered. Seeing how the Professor had given her authority to do so, Ororo spent most of her time examining the purchase orders to make sure they weren't being overcharged before she stroked the checks . She was frowning at a particular purchase order when Jean entered the conference room looking as if she had been crying for hours. Ororo didn't notice the redness in her eyes.

"Jean did you really spend fourteen hundred dollars on flatware? We have some in stock there was no need to order anymore."

Jean sniffled "They're party favors. Little silver spoons with the Professors name and a salutation for his birthday engraved on them."

"I'm sure he'll be delighted to be reminded of his age when he stirs his tea in the morning."

Ororo looked up at Jean with a smile that slowly melted away when she saw her friends face. "What's happened?"

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:

"Getting drunk was such a good idea!" Jean sang, taking her sixth shot of tequila. They were sitting on the edge of the roof overlooking the estate and the city lights in the distance. Ororo giggled and nursed her shot. She wasn't big on drinking, but after Jean told her about the fight she had had with Logan, Ororo needed something to take the edge off as well. Of course she wasn't as drunk as Jean; she needed to maintain some level of control. Jean on the other hand embraced the feeling of recklessness and was definitely in a better mood. "I think this is the best idea you have ever had!" Jean concluded resting her head on Ororo's shoulder. Ororo pulled a package of chocolate chip cookies from a bag of snacks she had collected on their way out to the roof. Jean eyed the bag and then smiled taking the bag from her friend. "Ok, second best idea," she added stuffing a cookie into her mouth. They sat in silence for another few moments as Jean enjoyed her dessert. She was pouring another drink for herself when she began speaking again her words coherent but slurred, "You know I tried to convince my' ssself that his feelings for you were ssssstrictly platonic. I knew-even before we started- I jussssst figured he'd get over it cause you were with Scott, and you know...I was so wonderful he'd have no choice but to fall in love with me -" Jean downed the rest of her drink.

"Jean you are wonderful."

Jean snorted "I am right? Aaaaaand I am such a babe. Tell that to the so called love of my life," Jean looked at Ororo squinting her crystal clear green eyes "But you my friend, are smokn' hot yersssself. You've got the gorgeous hair and the legs, flawless skin, and ugh! I'd kill for your boobs. -"Jean stuffed another cookie in her mouth "You know a few more drinks and I might be into you," she added. They both burst out laughing. Ororo was glad that the ordeal with Logan had not affected her relationship with Jean. She loved them all and never wanted anything to come between them.

"Jean I assure you that Logan is not in love with me. He's confused because he knows Scott is going to propose to me soon and he's having a hard time dealing with that."

Jean clapped her hands together, as if that thought had never occurred to her "He's taking it a bit far don't you think. Still, I can't wait around for him to come to his senses."

"I don't think you should" Ororo admitted. What Logan was doing wasn't fair to Jean. She deserved better then whatever he was trying to offer her.

"So you're going to say yes right?" Jean said and Ororo was grateful to have the conversation steered into another direction. "I mean I'd say yes if I were you. Even though Scott is all prim and proper he is still extremely good looking. I mean I'd marry him on his good looks alone. That and the sex would have to be good. The sex is good right?"

"I really hope you don't remember any of this in the morning," Ororo giggled.

Jean twisted her lip "That bad huh?"

Ororo ignored Jean "I think it's time to go to bed."

"Yay!" Jean cheered, and they both laughed again.

Ororo helped her to her feet and they stumbled back into the mansion together. Once in her bedroom Jean climbed under her covers and curled into a ball as the essence of sleep began to dull her senses.

"Just be careful" Jean mumbled with her eyes closed as Ororo pulled the covers over her shoulder.

"Careful of what?"

"Logan. He has a way of sneaking up on you." Jean said and then she was asleep.

Ororo closed Jeans door behind her, and immediately bumped into Logan's hard chest. She stumbled almost losing her balance until Logan's arms shot out to catch her. He held her for a moment.

"Had a few drinks?"

Ororo swallowed the lump in her throat "Just a few."

Logan inhaled the scent on her breath "Tequila, and chocolate chip cookies? Classy," he smiled and Ororo tried to ignore how charming he was. She moved out of his embrace and steadied herself enough to walk on her own. Logan followed.

"You should apologize to Jean" she began.

"I would if she'd see me. I'm not exactly her favorite person right now."

Ororo nodded wordlessly. She wasn't sure of what to say next. Before the awkward silence consumed them with embarrassment Ororo muttered a soft goodnight to Logan before moving quickly towards her room.

Logan stopped and gently grabbed her by the elbow, "I'm sorry."

Ororo but pulled her elbow away her. The Tequila in her system swirled dangerously with her emotions and she her anger towards him was immediately kindled "No, you're not. You're just saying that because you think it's what I want to hear."

"Yah think yah know me, huh?"

"I do know you, and I suggest that you get over whatever it is that you think you feel for me. We both know you're just afraid of losing me. You have to accept that things change. People change and you can't have everything your way all of the time," she turned to walk away and this time he stopped her by grabing her wrist.

"Look me in tha eyes and tell me that you don't have feelings for me and I'll never say anythin' to yah 'bout this again. Everythin' will go back to tha way it was," he promised.

Ororo took a deep breath, and boldly looked into his eyes. "I love you, Logan." she admitted, and her admission quickened his pulse. Logan reached for her, but Ororo stepped out of his reach, and held her hands up to keep him away "As a friend," she amended, and she said it with such conviction that Logan had no choice but to believe her. There it was. Perhaps she didn't feel the same way about him. But, how was that possible when he still saw desire in her eyes. He still smelled the uncertainty of her words on her skin. She was lying. She had to be. He had given her the opportunity to tell the truth. Why was she spitting it back into his face. Then as if her decision had not been made clear enough she added the final nail in the coffin "When he asks me, I'm going to say yes." Then without another word she turned away from him and retreated. There had always been the possibility that she would reject him, and that had been a chance he was willing to take. Logan stood in the darkened hallway even after she was long gone. She had made her decision, and if this was what she wanted, then so be it.

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:

Scott was asleep when she climbed into bed. Her frustration with Logan had her body wrecked with nerves. She was sure that there was a storm brewing overhead, but she used every reserve of control she had to not let her emotions get the best of her. She loved Logan, but she wasn't in love with him. It was as simple as that. How could she be? Logan was rude and unpredictable. Scott was dependable, and he didn't throw a temper tantrum when he didn't get his way. That's all this was. Logan's sudden romantic feelings towards her were nothing more than an adult temper tantrum. Of course he didn't love her like that. Not really. If he had then he should have said something long before Scott decided to propose.

Ororo kept looping those thoughts in her head over and over again, hoping that they would eventually ring true. She had to get her mind off of Logan. She kissed Scott on his neck and whispered into his ear "Make love to me." She didn't have to ask him twice. He stirred keeping his eyes closed and maneuvering his body with hers by touch. Ororo removed her panties, helped him pull his pajama bottoms down. Scott positioned himself between her legs easily, and Ororo gasped as he entered her with one powerful thrust. She always enjoyed making love to Scott. It wasn't as plain as some people, namely Jean and Logan, always insinuated. It was always nice and sweet. Yet even in this intimate moment with Scott she couldn't help but think of Logan. As Scott thrust inside her, she imagined it was Logan filling her up, his bare shoulders rising and falling over her as he pushed himself inside of her again and again. Ororo bit her bottom lip and moaned in pleasure as the onset of an orgasm pooled between her thighs. She thought of Logan's hands. God how she loved his hands, they were so big and strong. On the rare occasion when he had touched her they had been rough to the touch, which she liked. She imagined how it would feel to have the palms of his hands and his fingers gliding over her soft skin. Ororo dug her nails into Scotts back so hard that it left welts behind and nearly drew blood. Scott winced, "Jeeze, easy" he warned as his thrusts became shorter and shorter. Ororo knew that he was close, but she didn't want it to be over, at least not yet. She maneuvered her way on top of him and ignored his slight hesitation as she did it. She ignored his hang-ups about what position they had sex in. She wanted this to last. Ororo straddled Scott, closed her eyes and saw Logan's face. She rocked her hips against him working a fluidity that she hadn't been able to capture before. Scott began breathing harder "Slow down -I'm gonna-"

Ororo squeezed her pelvic muscles and Scotts words melted into a thick moan. She imagined it was Logan growling in pleasure. She liked the sound so she did it again and again. She was almost ready to come, but the guttural moan that cut through Scott's lips was a sure sign that she wouldn't be having her own happy ending tonight.

Scott's orgasm subsided and Ororo stopped. Then she moved to her side of the bed, and laid quietly in the dark as Scott tried to catch his breath. A few moments passed before she heard "What was that?" he asked quietly adjusting to the sting of the fresh claw marks she had made on his back. Ororo didn't know what to say except "I'm sorry." Then she turned away from him, pressed her face into her pillow, and willed herself not to cry. Logan didn't deserve her tears. She should have been ashamed of herself. Imagining Logan while she was making love to Scott? Scott was a good man and he didn't deserve that. "It won't happen again," she promised





You must login () to review.