"Is this about the other night?" Scott asked as he adjusted his bow tie. He looked sexy in his tux; his broad shoulders perfectly framed under the velvety fabric. Ororo fastened a diamond stud earring to her ear. She had been decidedly prickly with him in the past few days, but still she wasn't up for an argument with him or anyone else for that matter.
The Professors party was set to begin in less than an hour and Jean had designated her to coordinate the gifts. Tonight she just wanted to focus on helping the Professor celebrate, enjoy the company of old friends, and maybe even have a good time. In an effort to maintain her goals for the evening she ignored Scott's question and gently applied a bit of lipstick in her vanity mirror. She heard him sigh behind her, and hoped that he would drop it. "Are you going to give me the silent treatment all night?" he asked shoving his hands into his pockets.
Ororo groaned inwardly, but said with pristine calm "I don't want to fight, Scott"
"Who's fighting?"
Ororo closed her eyes as her dreams of a peaceful evening slowly melted into a nightmare. She stood up from her vanity mirror, and turned to him "You really want to do this right now?"
"Just trying to clear the air. Tonight is...special. I don't want anything to come between us."
Ororo noticed a nervous twitch at the ends of Scott's mouth. Then she realized that he was trying to pave the way for his proposal. She had been anxious about it every since Logan had so rudely ruined the surprise. Now, after all that had transpired, she felt more guilt than anger. Guilt, because Logan had been consuming her thoughts ever since that night at the carnival. There was a reason for that, but Ororo refused to contemplate what that may have been. Whatever it was, it was enough to keep up this pretense that she was angry with Scott. It may have just have been the best way to postpone his proposal. She still needed time to think. Think? A voice deep inside of her questioned. Think about what? That was a good question. She loved Scott, there shouldn't have been anything to think about.
"Ororo?"
Ororo snapped her attention to Scott at the sound of his voice and her shoulder's fell in concession. She hated when there was tension between them. He was right. It was better to clear the air. She considered her words carefully before she said, "The other night, when we made love---"
"I was a prick, I know" Scott interrupted, and Ororo didn't hide her surprise or disagree with him "I didn't mean to make you feel like a ---"
"Slut?" Ororo offered.
Scott's head dropped as the realization that he had hurt her finally set in "I apologize. You know I don't think of you that way, but sometimes you get a little out of control---"
"Its sex, Scott, not a training sequence in the danger room," she replied harshly.
"Don't twist my words. You know what I meant."
"Yeah, you're a control freak, and I need to be controlled. We're a match made in mutation Heaven."
Scott's jaw tightened "I can't talk to you when you're like this," he said and the tone of his voice surrendered her anger.
Scott understood her concerns about losing control of her emotions. She had learned at a very early age what happened to the elements and the people around her when she was reckless with her 'feelings'. To let herself be led by pure anger or even sadness was dangerous, and she continuously fought to keep the balance. It had gotten easier over the years, especially with the help of the Professor. So much so that at times she seemed distant and disconnected with the world around her. She had even resisted Scott when he had begun to show an interest in her, because being in a relationship required the use of emotions she thought were better off buried deep within. Ororo pushed away the memories of her childhood and crossed her arms over her chest. "I'm sorry," she said, and she couldn't help but feel as if she were beginning to sound like a broken record.
Scott approached her then running a gentle touch along her bare arms. It was in this moment that she really wished she could see his eyes, but with the certainty in his touch she knew she didn't have to. "You know I love you, right?" He asked. Ororo nodded. There was a throaty and solid timbre to his voice that always seemed to comfort her.
He placed his index finger under her chin and tilted her head up towards him. Then he pressed his lips to hers, and Ororo closed her eyes against his kiss. His mouth was warm, and his kiss confident. This was why she loved him. He had a way of anchoring her in reality. A way that Logan didn't understand. Logan, who was at times so clumsy with his 'feelings'. Logan's words played back in her mind, Felt like tha thing tah do at tha time, he had said when she had confronted him about why he had tried to kiss her. Again she grew angry with him. He lacked emotional restraint which was definitely something Ororo wasn't up to dealing with.
Scott began to pull his kiss away from her, but Ororo opened her mouth to him and stepped in closer to deepen it desperate to hold on to his strength. Scott stiffened for a moment, but then relaxed giving in to her passion. He snaked his arms around her waist as their tongues danced. A sudden wave of heat coursed through her body and her heart quickened. Ororo toyed with the idea of lifting up her gown for a pre-party quickie, but she knew she would be pushing her luck. So instead she ended the kiss and smiled up at him. A bit dazed by Ororo's fervor, Scott breathed heavily as he said "I don't want you to think I'm not open minded. We can stand to be a little adventurous in the bedroom. Let's just take our time." Ororo grinned at the promise of a bit of flavor in their sex life. Perhaps she would test him later. She had always wanted to make love in the danger room.
"Are we okay now?" Scott asked. Ororo nodded, yes.
"Chop, chop!" Jean shouted as she pushed Ororo's bedroom door open. Scott placed another brief kiss on Ororo's lips before they both turned to Jean who looked stunning in a champagne colored gown that was cut just as low in the front as it was in the back. "This party isn't going to throw itself," Jean smiled.
"You look beautiful, Jean" Scott said pecking a kiss on her cheek before moving into the hallway. "Thanks" Jean blushed, always happy to hear a compliment from a handsome man. She looked at Ororo and telepathically began to hum the wedding march. Ororo rolled her eyes and followed after Scott. It was certainly going to be a long night.
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:
Although Jean had assigned him to security detail, Logan kept a low profile. Of course he had wished the Professor a happy birthday, but shortly after that, he found a seat at the bar that had been constructed in the main dining hall and made good use of the free drinks.
Jean had outdone herself. The children were on their best behavior. Most of them had retreated outside where they had their own separate dance floor and drink station that served non-alcoholic beverages. The party was a definite hit, but with Ororo hanging on Scott's side all night long the merriment was somewhat lost on Logan.
He wouldn't bother her again, just as he'd promised. If she wanted to spend the rest of her life lying to herself then who was he to stand in her way? Logan eyed her across the room as Warren swung her into a bear of a hug. Scott and Betsy also shared a hug and a kiss on either cheek. He had met Warren and Betsy only in passing. They too had been students of the Professor, and had grown up with Ororo, Scott and Jean, beyond that, and the fact that they were married, there wasn't much else he knew about them. There was laughter and smiles all around Logan observed and he wanted to vomit.
He ordered another whiskey sour from the bartender and lit a cigar. After a few more drinks he promised himself he'd call it a night.
"Lookin' good Professor Logan!" he recognized Kitty's voice and felt an immediate pain in his ass. Dazzler couldn't be too far behind. He turned away from the bar and saw the two teenagers smiling up at him. All hairspray and lip gloss, Kitty and Dazzler shuffled nervously in their party dresses. Logan pulled on his cigar, and exhaled a puff of smoke in their direction "Ladies" he greeted and they responded with girlish laughter. After an elbow to the ribs from Kitty, Dazzler finally spoke up "Kitty wanted to know"-Kitty elbowed her again and she corrected herself "Um, we wanted to know if you wanted to-um-dance with us-together?" Then they grinned at him with doughy expectant eyes.
It was no secret that a few of the girls at the school had a crush on him, and they had probably only approached him as a dare. He would have indulged them if he was in a better mood, but as it was, "I don't dance" he found himself saying, just as he spotted Scott and Ororo taking a turn on the dance floor. The girls hung their heads in disappointment and began to walk away. "But I know somebody who'd be thrilled," Logan added. Kitty and Dazzler's faces lit up with excitement "Who?" they both chirped simultaneously, and Logan downed the drink the bar tender slip across the counter. Like takin' candy from a baby.
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:
"Did I tell you how beautiful you are tonight?" Scott said as he gracefully guided Ororo across the dance floor in a sea of other dancing party goers.
Ororo smiled, "Just tonight?"
"Cute," He said dipping his head to kiss her. She kissed him back briefly and then laid her head against his shoulder. She was having a great time just as she had planned to. Having the X-men together in one room for something other than a mission was refreshing. The Professor's party had brought most of them from their respective corners of the world. There were still a few missing like Rouge and Remy. She had really hoped to see them. They worked together at one of the Professor's satellite schools in Australia. Their work was demanding, so much so that they couldn't spare the time off, but of course like all the others they sent their love.
"I was going to wait until later to do this, but I guess I better do it now before I lose my nerve," Scott said against her ear. Ororo took a deep breath. Here it comes. The moment of truth, she thought. Scott stopped them from dancing and Ororo leaned away to look into his face "Ororo I-"
"Mind if we cut in?"
Ororo and Scott turned to see Dazzler and Kitty assaulting them with brilliant smiles. Ororo's stomach fluttered with something that felt like relief. "Now's not a good time girls," she heard Scott say.
"I actually wanted to grab a drink," Ororo said pulling out of his arms. Scott frowned at first and tried to hold onto her, but she was already moving into the crowd "Take care of him while I'm gone will you girls?" Ororo tossed over her shoulder. Kitty and Dazzler both stood in front of Scott and waited for him to take the lead. Scott looked after Ororo until he lost sight of her in the crowd. Then he looked at the girls and offered them a weak smile "Ok. So, who's first?"
"Me!" they both chimed raising their hands as if they were in class.
Ororo didn't stop moving until she reached the bar. She was glad to have a few more moments to think. Of course she would say yes…she just needed to---
"Look like yah seen ah ghost" Logan's voice interrupted her thoughts. Ororo turned to see him sitting a short distance away at the end of the bar and to her surprise she wasn't angry at the sight of him. She was actually glad to see him. She hadn't seen him in the days leading up to the party, and despite her better judgment she had begun to miss him. She missed his sarcastic jokes and annoyed facial expressions when something was bothering him; which often times had something to do with the one of the children at the school or life in general. It seemed that no matter how hard he tried to be obtuse, the students were still very fond of him and sought out his company on a regular basis. Ororo could relate to them in that regard. There had always been things she could talk to Logan about that Scott didn't understand.
Ororo swept her eyes over him taking in the sight of his slicked hair, and the way he hung that Armani suite Jean had picked out for him. She licked her bottom lip involuntarily and then curved her mouth into a smile "Look at you all dolled up" she said playfully. Although he had heard her perfectly from where he sat Logan slid from his barstool and moved in closer. He had already gotten a good look at her on more then one occasion, but for good measure and his own personal enjoyment he looked her up and down again, and ignored her nervous fidget as he said "I guess yer not ah total loss."
Ororo struggled to regain her composure under his heated stare, "Was that a compliment?"
"I don't do compliments," Logan waved to the bartender who hurried right over, "Apple martini" he ordered.
Ororo gave a throaty laugh as the bartender arranged her favorite drink in front of her "Just how long is that list of don'ts of yours, Logan?"
Logan winked at her suggestively "Yah, really want me tah answer that, darlin?"
Ororo slid onto the nearby empty stool and took a sip of her drink "No, God please don't" she replied enjoying this flirtatious exchange. Then a familiar silence settled between them. They were being civil, which was nice. Ororo wondered how long it would last. Logan cradled his cigar between his sharp teeth "Yah, ready?"
"Ready for what?"
"Tonight's tha night right?"
Ororo shifted uncomfortably. Logan was the last person she wanted to talk to about her impending engagement. "I'm not tryna' trick yah, Storm" he said and she believed the sincerity in his tone. Maybe things really could go back to the way it use to be. He had promised not to push the issue anymore, and apparently he intended to keep his word. Ororo had no choice but to at least meet him halfway. "I suppose," she answered honestly.
Logan nodded but didn't offer any further comment. Ororo spotted Scott across the dance floor who was sandwiched between Dazzler and Kitty. She smiled to herself, she'd rescue him in a moment. Right now, she was enjoying Logan's company. "Thank you" she began "For trying to keep things…normal, between us. Your friendship means a lot to me. I really appreciate it"
Logan gave her an indistinguishable smile and ordered another drink.
"How's it going with Jean?" she asked.
"It's not," he said, his tone a little dejected.
"I'm sure she'll come around,"
"Doubt it. I think I really fucked up this time."
"Yeah, you did," Ororo agreed, and they both shared a smile. "But she loves you. I'm sure she'll forgive you. You just have to give her time"
"Time?" Logan questioned and for the first time he locked eyes with Ororo. Ororo held his gaze and immediately felt heat begin to rise beneath her skin. With his hungry and intense steel gray eyes set on her Ororo felt exposed. Why was it that he seemed to be able to look straight through her? Had it always been that way, or was she imagining things because of the recent turn in their relationship? Without even realizing it Ororo leaned in closer to him; enjoying the rush of excitement that coursed through her at the thought of his hands caressing her body. Blood rushed so loudly in her ears that she almost didn't hear him when he said "I'll wait as long as it takes." His voice was low and deep. So deep that the sound vibrated through her like an earthquake rumbling through an abandoned building, "Give her all the time she needs" he added, and Ororo felt for a moment that he wasn't talking about Jean anymore.
Logan watched as she moistened her bottom lip with her tongue, and imagined what it would be like to kiss her, and to hold her in his arms. He couldn't kiss her. Instead maybe he could just..."Wanna dance?" he offered, and she nodded her head 'yes' without the slightest hesitation. Ororo followed him onto the dance floor. He could sense her heart beating faster as he pulled her close resting one hand on the small of her back and cradling her hand with his own in the other. She felt good in his arms, warm and feminine. They danced almost cheek to cheek in quiet enjoyment.
"I guess he does dance," Kitty said. Scott and Dazzler followed her gaze which rested on Ororo and Logan dancing together, and standing too close for Scott's liking. Scott excused himself from the girls and headed in their direction.
"You're pretty good at this" Ororo complimented as Logan led their dance with surprising ease. "Of course I am. Ima pretty impressive guy," Logan said firming his grip on her lower back. "I'll put in a good word with Jean for you" she promised. Before he could answer he smelled Scott's approach, he turned to see the Cyclops, tight lipped and fuming with anger as he maneuvered his way through the crowd. "Here we go," he grumbled and before Ororo had time to register what his statement had meant she found herself being snatched out of Logan's arms.
"Scott!" Ororo yelped as she snatched her arm away from him. Logan clenched his fists. He didn't like the way Scott had grabbed her.
"Take it easy, bub."
The music stopped and a number of people around them had also stopped dancing to watch the altercation. "Take it easy?" Scott mocked stepping into his face "Take it easy? What did I tell you, Logan?"
Logan sneered "Please," -SNIKT- "refresh my memory."
It was generally understood that both humans and mutants would be in attendance at this party, but it wasn't until this incident that everyone became painfully aware of it. The gasps of shock and outrage at the sight of Logan's claws sent an uncomfortable chill down Ororo's spine. Logan didn't seem to notice and again she remembered how irritating his recklessness could be. Ororo got over the shock of what was about to happen and finally stepped between them "That's enough, both of you!" It was her anger that gave the men pause.
"He started it" Logan blamed sliding his claws back into hands. Ororo turned to him, irritated "And must you always rise to the occasion?"
Logan didn't have a response for that. Ororo shot an ice cold glare towards Scott and said through clenched teeth "A word please," Then she was off steering her way through the crowd.
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:
"I'm sorry," Scott said. Ororo slammed the door to the library, which for the time being also housed all of the Professors birthday presents, and turned to him. She refused to allow herself to be consumed by anger. Her voice was tight, but she was able to maintain that rumbling in the pit of her stomach that would pierce the sky as thunder if she wasn't careful. "I don't want an apology. I want an explanation. Who was that guy? You might as well have clubbed me over the head and carried me off on your shoulder"
"I probably could have handled that differently." Scott admitted.
"Probably? " Ororo laughed at his absurdity.
"You know how Logan is, he just gets under my skin."
"Scott, there is nothing to be jealous of. Logan and I are friends. Like you and I used to be, remember?"
"Yeah, we use to be friends. So what are we now? Friends with benefits?"
"What is that supposed to mean?"
"It means I don't like the way he looks at you, and you apparently are too blinded by 'friendship' to see it. Then when I saw you together tonight, and the way he was holding you---and you weren't exactly pushing him away ---"
"We were dancing." Ororo retorted trying her best to keep her temper from flaring. This new insecure side she was seeing of Scott was not attractive. However, she had to admit that it wasn't unprovoked. Maybe, he could sense her inner struggle with everything and as a result had begun to put two and two together.
Scott shook his head "I don't want you hanging around him anymore. Case closed," then he folded his arms across his chest as if daring her to challenge him. Ororo shook her head in disbelief "So, is this what married life is going to be like for us?" she asked. Scott's arms fell in surprise, and then his fists tightened with rage "That son of a -"
"Let's leave Logan out of this - Case closed? Who do you think you are talking to? I'm not a child, Scott."
"Ororo, I didn't mean-"
"Of course you didn't mean it that way, right? You never mean anything the way that you say it. I'm just overly sensitive and I blow things out of proportion, is that it?"
"I guess it doesn't matter what I say here. Either way I'm the bad guy right?"
They both fell silent. This was getting them nowhere. She wasn't going to get through to him tonight. Not while he was hopped up on testosterone and a perhaps a few drinks. Ororo began to move towards the door quietly, but Scott stepped in her way. "We're not finished yet," he said. Ororo took as step back as he added "I'm tired of fighting. What do you want me to say so that we can get past this?" he asked.
Ororo considered an answer to his question carefully. What did she want from him? "Nothing" she replied "I don't want you to say anything. I love you, Scott, but to be honest, marriage isn't a good idea for us right now."
Scott's eyebrows crushed together in anger and confusion "What are you saying?"
Ororo sighed "I'm saying, I think that we should take a break."
"No."
"Scott-"
"Don't be ridiculous, we're not taking a break. I love you."
"I need some time to-"
"Great, we can take time off together. We'll go away, just you and me---"
"Listen to me," she demanded.
"I am listening to you and you're confused. I'm not going to stand by and let you get rid of me"
"I'm not getting rid of you. I just need some time to think -"
Ororo jumped when Scott lashed out in anger towards a stack of the Professor's presents which sent them flying across the room. Ororo heard what sounded like glass shattering from inside one of the boxes as it hit the floor. "Fine." He said in an oddly calm gone. "You want to think? Then take all the goddamn time you want to think, but we are not breaking up." Then he turned and opened the door. "Do me a favor and try not to end up in Logan's bed, while you're thinking" he said bitterly and then he left, his steps thumping down the hallway.
Ororo took a deep breath to calm her jittery nerves and hoped that she was doing the right thing.
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:
"Well, you certainly know how to put on a show," Betsy said as she crossed her arms and looked town at Ororo. She had been curled up on a couch in the library staring blindly into the dark. Instead of returning to the party she decided to wait it out. By now most of the guests should have been gone, and the house could finally settle down. All that should have remained were a few of the visiting X-Men who had flown in to help the Professor celebrate.
The sudden light that Betsy had clicked on blinded Ororo for a moment. When she was able to focus she looked up to see her old friend Psylocke entering the room with Jean following close behind her.
"You should know better than to try to hide in a house full of telepaths," Jean said perching herself on top of one of the tables. Betsy settled in beside Ororo on the couch.
"I wasn't hiding, I was just -"
"Sulking?" Betsy questioned.
Ororo's shoulders fell as she looked to Jean with apologetic eyes "I hope we didn't cause too much of a scene."
Jean shrugged "It wouldn't be a legitimate X-Men soiree if something wasn't blown up or a few punches weren't thrown."
"Thankfully it didn't get that far," Ororo pointed out.
"The night is still young" Betsy quipped. After a moment they all giggled. Despite the fact that Betsy had left the mansion two years before they still managed to fall into a sisterly routine when they were together.
"I'm guessing the proposal out, yeah?" Betsy asked.
Ororo nodded silently "I told him I needed some time to think."
"Don't think too long. Scott is a good catch," Jean said.
Betsy frowned at Jean "You call that being supportive? For god's sake Jean-"
"I'm just saying."
"You're always 'just saying' aren't you?"
Ororo looked on as Jean and Betsy began to bicker back and forth. This was also a part of their routine. Betsy and Jean were always at each others throats over one thing or another. The two telepaths butted heads about almost everything, but at the end of the day they would go to bat with anyone who threatened them. With Ororo as their mediator they were able to remain the best of friends. When Betsy mentioned a Bon Jovie album that Jean had borrowed ten years before and never returned Ororo took that as her queue to intercede.
"Wow, what was that? Thirty seconds? I think that's a new record. You guys usually start fighting at ten." Ororo smiled as Jean and Betsy called a silent truce for the time being. "Anyway," Ororo added "I understand what you were trying to say, Jean, but you don't exactly catch Scott, he catches you."
"Therein lies the problem," Betsy added triumphantly, before adding "Do you think you'll stay together?"
"I told him I needed a break, but..." Ororo looked up at her two best friends and gave them a tentative laugh "You guys are the psychics, you tell me."
Betsy gave Ororo a supportive pat on the knee. "He told me to try not to end up in Logan's bed while I was 'thinking'. Can you believe that?"
Betsy sucked her teeth "Wanker. Just for that, if you do decide to go back to him you should make him stew in his own juices for as long as possible."
Jean's silence drew Ororo's attention "Jean, you okay?"
Jean looked up at her in surprise as if the sound of her name had come as a shock to her system "Me? -yeah, I'm great.-total wanker" she said.
Betsy squinted her eyes, sensing something amuck, but immediately focused her attention back onto Ororo "Well, we have to get you out of this solemn mood Stormy," Betsy said. Ororo thought for a moment "We could go for a walk?" Betsy laid her head on the back of the couch "Urgh! You are killing my buzz." Ororo smiled and took a look around the library filled with specially wrapped gifts "Or we could open the Professor's presents?" she offered. Betsy smiled at the idea, and asked "Do you think he'd mind?"
Ororo tossed her a knowing look and Betsy nodded "Right, I never did understand the point of wrapping a gift for a telepath. Warren still tries to surprise me, but its pretty useless."
Ororo shook her head "You shouldn't ruin his surprises that way, Bets,"
Betsy shrugged "I can't help it. Even when I try not to know I end of knowing anyway. Then he gets angry with me and I have to make up for it by being extra energetic in the bedroom."
Ororo smirked "I'm sure he enjoys that. He must surprise you a lot then."
"Every few days or so, as a matter of fact" Betsy admitted, and then she paused. Ororo had caught on immediately, but it took Betsy a few moments for the realization to come to her "That bastard. I can't believe he's been playing me all this time. I just thought he liked giving me things."
Ororo smiled "I'm sure he does, and you just keep on givin' it right back to him," she laughed "Bets, I'm not even psychic and I could see right through that little scheme"
Betsy looked genuinely outraged "There was no need to resort to trickery! All he had to do was ask." Ororo stood up finally regaining a bit of strength in her muscles that had been drained by the events of earlier that evening "Let's start with that big red one," she offered
Jean slid from her perch on the table "Actually, I'm going to check and make sure the-uh-guests are gone, and that everything is cleaned up okay." Ororo grabbed the box wrapped in red wrapping paper and an unnecessarily frilly bow tied around it "Okay. It really was a great party, Jean. I'm sure the Professor was thrilled."
Jean nodded silently and then turned to leave, but not before exchanging a look with Psylocke. Something was definitely amuck…..
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:
"I've decided to forgive you," Jean said. Logan who had removed his blazer and rolled his sleeves up to begin tinkering with his old pick up truck in the garage, looked up at her briefly from under the hood . He hadn't expected her to say that. The fact that she had come looking for him was a surprise and a good sign. Perhaps now she would stand still long enough for him to give her a proper apology "Jeanie-" he began, but she took a step towards him "No let me. I know that my feelings for you are deeper than the feelings you have for me," she admitted. Logan wringed the rag in his hands uncomfortably, but still she went on "And while I can't pretend that that's okay--I'm willing to give it another try if you are. No promises or high expectations, we can take it one step at a time," she offered.
Logan stood there in silence for what seemed like forever. He was weighing his options. He was likely to end up with egg on his face if he sat around waiting for Ororo to come around. She seemed so sure of what she wanted. She really didn't feel anything beyond friendship for him, and to try to convince himself otherwise was just plain self-torture. Here was Jean, a beautiful intelligent woman who was offering him her love. All he had to do was accept it. Accept her.
"I never meant--"
"I know" she insisted moving in closer, "I just want to start fresh. Can we do that?"
Logan couldn't ignore the sincerity in her sparkling green eyes. Then she was kissing him. Her mouth pliant and insistent. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed her body into his. Logan stood motionless for a moment, his lips moving in a lazy rhythm with hers, then her tongue grazed his bottom lip igniting his passion. Thoughts and memories of the time he and Jean had spent together shot through his mind with significant force. Images of their love making, the laughter they had shared, pillow talk, the passion that had vibrated between the two of them, had seemingly come out of nowhere and swelled his need to be inside of her more fervorently than he had ever felt before. Logan tore his mouth away from hers for a moment as his heart raced and he fought to catch his breath. Jean kissed him again, this time biting his lip which sparked a groan deep in his throat. Logan pressed her into the side of the truck, and immediately began working at his belt buckle. Jean smiled to herself as Logan pulled at the fabric of her dress, and positioned himself between her legs. She pushed another explicit image into his mind, and he responded with a new eagerness. He just needed to be reminded that's all. He needed to be reminded of the connection that they shared. Once he remembered than everything would be alright….
:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:
"Okay so, which one of these boxes contains flavored massage oils?" Betsy asked, as she stood behind a table where she had arranged three of the Professor's presents. Everyone laughed in disbelief. Jubilee frowned "No way, did somebody really give him that?" Betsy nodded 'yes'.
"I'll take it if the Professor doesn't want it," Bobby volunteered.
"Yeah, you would-" Jubilee grumbled as she tipped her glass to take another swig of champagne. Bobby pursed his lips and expelled a quick chilled breath towards her glass. The champagne froze just before it reached her lips. Jubilee hurled the glass at him, "Jerk!" Bobby ducked out of the way of the glass "Cock tease," he accused.
Hank who was only half interested in the guessing game that they were playing didn't even bother looking up from the book he was reading as he reached out to pluck the glass of frozen champagne from the air before it hit the wall.
"The one in the middle," Warren guessed he had finally removed his blazer and allowed his wings to breathe.
"I say it's the one on the left" Ororo chimed in as she closed the book Hank had been reading and ruffled his furry head. He looked intimidating, the custom made suit doing very little to hide his massive blue frame underneath. To a stranger he would have looked dangerous and menacing but to Ororo he was a teddy bear. His tone and his touch were uncharacteristically delicate complimenting the air of academia and his unprecedented patience. Hank quickly tried to fix the mess Ororo had made of his fur "You know, I hate it when you do that."

"No you don't," Ororo replied with a sweet smile. Hank smiled back at her, grabbed her hand and kissed it "How have you been?" he asked.
Ororo shrugged "Same old. You?"
"I'm actually on the verge of a new discovery in my current study of genetic physiology-"
"Beast!" Betsy called "That's enough shop-talk for the night thank you very much. Guess!" she demanded.
Ororo and Hank exchanged a look that said they would have to continue their conversation later. "I would have to agree with Ororo. The box on the left."
Betsy tore open the box on the left and revealed a crystal vase. "Sorry chaps, better luck next time."
"Pay up freaks," Warren demanded. Hank and Jubilee reached for their respective wallets. "Hank can you spot me?" Ororo asked, and he replied with a quick nod of his head.
"Wait, when did we start playing for money?" Bobby asked.
"Come on Bobby, do get with the program," Betsy said "Perhaps if you weren't staring at Jubilee's tits all night you wouldn't be into me for a hundred bucks."
Bobby looked outraged "A hundred bucks? I call bullshit!"
"Bullshit you call, bullshit! You callin' my wife a liar? Pay up!" Warren demanded and in the next moment they were in each other's face arguing testosterone brimming from their eyeballs.
Ororo walked over to Betsy as Bobby and Warren went at it, while Jubilee instigated from the sideline.
"Now it's a party" Ororo said laughing. "Boys will be boys" Betsy replied. Ororo picked up the box in the middle and gave it a small shake "So which one is it?"
"Neither," Betsy said and shrugged at the look Ororo had given her "I was getting bored we had to spice things up a bit, no harm done"
"At least not yet," Ororo said as the fight between Warren and Bobby continued to escalate. Bobby pushed Warren and Warren folded him into a headlock. The two continued to tussle "Go for the ribs, honey" Betsy cheered her husband on as she began opening the box in the middle which was wrapped with brown packaging paper and twine. Beast went over to break up the fight. It wasn't as fancy as the other gifts, but it had been placed among the others. "What is actually in this one?" Ororo asked, and Betsy looked on as Ororo tore it open, but didn't reply. "Bets?" Ororo looked up at Betsy's frowning face. "I must have had more to drink than I realized," Betsy explained "I have no idea what's in there." Ororo found that odd "You kidding?" Betsy shook her head 'no', and for a moment that gave Ororo pause. Then she laughed tentatively at Betsy "Light weight" she accused as she finally pulled a pewter colored metal box from the packaging. The box was smooth to the touch with rounded edges. "Nothing?" Ororo questioned looking to Betsy again, who still looked on blankly. The hiss of cryogenic mist caught the attention of the others as Ororo slowly lifted the lid to the box. As the mist cleared what appeared to be a tiny syringe pointed up from a mounted metal harness straight at her. Hank moved in closer, intrigued by what the syringe contained.
Suddenly Betsy's eyes flew wide once she sensed what was about to happen "Storm!"
Phfst! The syringe ejected from its metal incasing an pierced Ororo in the neck. The liquid in the syringe injected into her neck so quickly that before she had an opportunity to react she could already feel the substance that had been in the tube tingling into her blood stream. Everyone's attention was now set on Ororo as she snatched the syringe out threw it to the ground. She touched the side of her neck to see if she was bleeding. She wasn't but there was a sting at the spot where she had been injected and it was warm…really warm.
"Storm are you okay?" she heard Jubilee ask.
"I think so," she replied and other than the growing heat on her neck she really did feel okay. Hank picked up the syringe and examined it.
"Beast what was in that thing?" Bobby asked.
"I'll have to take it to the lab for testing," Hank replied "Ororo, how do you feel?"
Ororo looked at her friends concerned faces "I feel fine-I feel-" then her tongue felt heavy and the lights around her began to dim. It suddenly hard to breath and Ororo began to panic with the sudden feeling that the walls were closing in on her. She needed to sit down. She turned towards the couch but only took a few steps before her legs gave out on her. Warren caught her before she hit the floor. They were unsure if she had fainted or dropped dead. Tears immediately welled in Jubilee's eyes.
"Stop crying," Betsy demanded and the others were already moving as she began firing out orders "Bobby go get Jean and the Professor. Warren lets take her to the lab. Jubilee make sure we don't have any unwanted guests poking around. And Hank, find out what was in that fucking syringe!"





You must login () to review.