Disclaimer: They do not belong to me, which they did…but Marvel created them. I am just having some harmless fun.
Title: Life’s Surprises prt2
Rating: Still PG-13
Author’s Note: Thanks all for your reviews……sry this chapter is so short but I still hope you enjoy it.




Dressed in jean and tee shirt, Ororo leaned against the doorframe of her kitchen waiting for her world to stop spinning. Her gaze rested on the broad back of the man humming tunelessly before her. Exhibit D: reasons why she would never drink again: hallucinations. One of the top lawyers in Florida was not in her kitchen wearing a “kiss the chef “ apron, singing. His tall, and handsome frame was also not leaning over her oven cooking. So why was the air filled with strong scents that was making her stomach do flip-flops? He was there all right. Why hadn’t he left? Lord knows she had taken as long as she could hiding in her room. Now she would have to face him and this crazy situation before she was ready. Well she was never one to put off what needed to be done and she would not start now. Personally, she always thought he was a typical poster boy for white corporate America. And she was strictly a sista that loved her African brothers.
But she wasn’t blind. She could see why most of the time the office was a revolving door for half the available female population of Floridian Socialites. Logan Winston could no doubt charm the pants of any woman. Until last night, she had not thought of him in that way. She glared at his back. Now she could not get the image of his nudity out of her head. He had gotten dress in slightly rumpled black slacks and a blue shirt. The top of his blue-black head spiked in that unruly style that made him look so deceptively wild. He was diffently a big man. His presence alone seemed to practically take up most of her kitchen. No it wasn’t that, it was something about him that encompassed an entire room. It made you pay attention. She’d also seen how effectively it could be in a courtroom.
“You going to just stand there and ogle me or are you going to have a seat.” He turned briefly to give her a heart-stopping smile that would have had any other woman swooning to do his bidding. Careful girl his still your boss. She hadn’t been aware he had even seen her standing there. A blush creeped up her face. Then again how could someone miss a Mac truck!
She sat.
“Make yourself at home.” She mumbled making certain he heard her. His smile widens. Her eyes scowled with suspicion. Why was Mr. Charming turning his dimples on her? Didn’t he realize what a mess they had gotten themselves into?
“I wasn’t sure if you’ll be able to handle any food so I made you a little concoction our butler swears by.” He said smoothly. Turning away, he opened her fridge and took out a glass filled with a dark red mixture and set it in front of her. She eyed it doubtfully.
Logan laughed. “Trust me it will make you feel like a new woman.” Where had she heard that before? Oh yeah, last night right before she’d taken her first drink! She eyed her ‘husband’ warily before taking a tentative sip. She almost gagged.
“uhhh! You trying to kill me?” she managed to croak out as the hard drink burned a path down her throat. Logan laughed.
“I didn’t say it tasted good only that it will make you feel better.” He answered reasonably before turning back to the stove. Ororo glared some dark thoughts at his back.
“You going to tell me what happened last night, Mr. Winston?” She asked wryly. He didn’t answer her until he brought a plate laden with bacon, eggs and toast and sat across from her. At the sudden churning of her stomach, she glanced away from the plate. This was a first of many first. Ororo Munroe turning down food!
“Of course Mrs. Winston. Anything to make my wife happy.”
“Would you stop calling me that!” she hissed.
“What?”
“Your wife.” Had he always been this infuriating?
“Ok what exactly do you want me to call you? Honey maybe or sweetheart. I’m willing if you promise to call me what you did last night.” Ororo glared at him.
“And what exactly might that have been. No wait I know. Jerk maybe?” Logan grinned.
“No, that wasn’t it.” He pretended to think, “ It was something more like, your own personal Eveready battery. You know the kind that just keeps going and going.” Ororo felt the blood rush to her face. This was a nightmare!
It had to be.
“To tell you the truth darlin, I was kind of hoping we might…..”
Darlin?
“Stop right there, Mr. Winston! I may not remember what happened last night but this joke is over. I want you to leave. Right now.”
Realizing maybe he had push too much, Logan wordlessly got up and left the kitchen. Ororo weakly sat back down. He was finally gone. She let out a sign of relief. Which was short lived when he came back and placed a sheet of paper and front of her. She looked at it but after the first couple of words she stopped reading.
“Oh God”
A marriage certificate. She was legally married to this man. A man she worked for. A man who had no concept of what it was to be in a committed relationship. A man that would cause her family to disown her if they ever found out. Not just because he was white but because she had done the most stupidest think imaginable: gotten married by a judge instead of a priest. Maybe she could plead temporary insanity. No judge would hold them to this sham of a marriage.
“What am I going to do?” she moaned laying her head on the table, “My family is going to disown me! No they are going to murder me first!”
“I doubt that babe. After they get to know me……” Ororo looked up horrified.
“Have you gone insane? No one is going to find out about this. We can undo it. Yes that’s it we’ll get this annulled!” she said triumphantly. Logan crossed his arms across his chest and gazed at her as if she were the one that was deranged.
“What!”
“There are several problems with your plan. First of all we can’t get an annulment because the marriage was consummated. Several times in fact” he watched with interest her bowed head. Embarrassment obvious in the tilt of her head. “Secondly I don’t want out of this marriage.”
Disbelief splashed across her dark features.
“You can’t be serious.” She blurted. He was deranged! How can that be? Had this condition crept up on him overnight? Or had she been cocooned with the familiar, that she had not noticed what lay underneath?
Logan was one of the best lawyers in the state. He was usually so clear headed and focused. She risked a fleeting glance at him, he immediately intercepted it, his eyes was sober yet there was something there that she had not seen before.
“I’ve never been more serious.” He said quietly. She flinched, openly rattled and upset. It was the alcohol still in her system. She was still too disoriented to properly comprehend what he was telling her. Even more, she was disturbed and unbelieving at the shocking turns their relationship had suddenly taken. She needed time to process everything. But first there was one thing she had to know.
“Why? Why me?” Logan didn’t think he could be completely honest with her yet so he settled for telling her part of the truth.
“It’s simple. I want you.”
Ororo could only gap at him like a fish out of water. This was too much. Her head was spinning again. She couldn’t handle a deranged lunatic after last night. Because that was the only explanation she could come up with. Logan Winston the golden boy of Winston Winston and Russell has lost his mind! She had to get away from him or they’ll arrest her for murder. Or manslaughter, she had a lot of probable cause. Wordlessly she got up and walked out of the kitchen. A second later Logan heard her bedroom door slam shut.

Deciding to give her some time alone, Logan grabbed his jacket and a set of her keys and left. He’ll gave her an hour. Enough time to rush to his apartment for some clothes and his brief case. He also stopped for a dozen roses and dinner from one of his favorite restaurants. When he returned it was almost three hours later. He set his things down in her spacious living room and glanced at the closed door to her room. He was tempted to check on her but decided against it. She would come to him when she was ready.
Instead he put the food in the kitchen and made himself comfortable on her living room couch. This could take a while.





You must login () to review.