“And if you love him…Oh be proud of him…'Cause after all he's just a man,” She bellowed out in what she thought to be a pretty good ‘country twang’ of an accent. They had crossed the Canadian borders a couple hours back and were well on their well to Alberta. The weather outside was warm enough that they removed the top covering of the jeep, and enjoyed the warm sun and gentle breeze beating down on them. He had pretty much tuned out her off key notes and stayed focused on the road, his mind hashing out a strategy plan for his latest search into his past. It wasn’t until she reached over and removed his signature Stetson cowboy hat that he warranted her with his attention. He turned to her with an arched brow and she simply smiled at him as she placed his hat atop her head. He thought she looked good in it with her thick white mane bellowing out beneath it, being tossed about in the wind, and so he didn’t protest or ask for it back. In fact he couldn’t hide the chuckle or smile that fell on his face as he turned from her to focus back on the road, and she breathed a silent sigh of relieve that she hadn’t angered him.

Since their first night on the road, they had come to an understanding and set boundaries with each other and from then on they had fallen into an amicable, comfortable camaraderie with each other. They had been driving for nearly two days straight only taking the occasional pit stop for food and to use the bathroom. During the trip they had had long conversations about everything and sometimes about nothing relevant. Ororo had done most of the talking, and this was something else that Logan noted, had made her completely opposite to the Ororo he knew, who was quiet and never felt the need to fill the serene moments they had shared together with chatter. He had always like that about Ororo, and that was the main reason he never minded her company on missions or on a stroll through the lush forests that surrounded the school. As he watched this Ororo seated beside him, with her feet sticking out the window and her head thrown back with her eyes closed as she sang country songs at the top of her lungs, he realize that he didn’t mind that either.

“Stand by your man…And show the world you love him…Keep giving all the love you can…And Stand by your maaaaaaan,” She dramatically finished her rendition of the old Tammy Wynette tune by throwing her hands wide in the air, and then laughing in a winded tone. She then turned the volume down on the radio. “I love all these country songs, not the ones sung by the men though, those are always so depressing, ‘She took my heart, she took my car, she even took my dog’,” She sang in her country twang and again Logan couldn’t hide his amusement as he chuckled. “But all the songs sung by the women are so liberating…did I like country music before the accident?” She asked curiously giving Logan her full attention.

“Not that I ever heard, ‘Ro liked the classical stuff.”

“Like Bach and Beethoven, shit like that?” She interrupted throwing him a disgusted look.

“Yeah darlin, shit just like that, also jazz and music from her home country.”

“Her home country?” She repeated with a perplexed look on her face.

“Yeah,” Logan replied as he stared at her with a bemused look. “Ya know Africa.”

“I’m African?” When he threw her a dumbfounded look she rolled her eyes and sent him a ‘duh’ expression. “I mean I know I’m black but I’m actually from Africa?”

“Yeah you were born in New York but grew up in Africa, I think you told me once you lived on the streets of Cairo. Didn’t Charles tell you any of this?”

“Yeah I vaguely remember him mentioning something about my parents dying, blah…blah, being a pick pocket, blah…blah. To be honest whenever he and Jean talk to me I tend to tune them out. He always speaks to me as if I were a child, sometimes I want to scream at him that I lost my memories but I’m not an invalid,”

“That’s just how he is, he does it to everyone, even me, and I’m old enough to be his grandfather, but like you I tune him out.” She just ‘hmphed’ in reply.

“And Jean, oh God Miss Priss really gets on my nerve, talkin down to me like she’s so much better than I am, she may be prettier than me, more educated and refined, and got a major hottie for a boyfriend but that don’t make her ‘better’ than me.”

“Yer wrong on all counts there darlin, I’ll agree with you on all those thing about Jean, except what ya said about Scott…Scott’s a dick,” This garnered a giggle from her. “But Jean aint more pretty, educated, or refined than you, in fact I’d say ya got it backwards.” Logan commented and even though she blushed, Ororo didn’t thank him for the compliment out of fear he would retract it. “Believe it or not, you, well ‘my’ Ororo loved Jean like a sister, in fact she always referred to Jean as her sister and they were always tagether, whenever we didn’t have a mission and Jean won’t up Scott’s ass.”

“Damn I must’ve had the patience of a saint or was a very good actress, because I just can’t see putting up with her for more than a few seconds.”

“Jeannie aint that bad once ya get ta know her,” Logan defended and Ororo rolled her eyes in irritation.

“Says the man who wants to fuck her senseless,” She threw out almost bitterly and then instantly regretted it, recalling the boundaries they had set with each other and fearing she might have just crossed one. “I’m sorry Logan I shouldn’t have said that.”

“Why not, I do want to fuck her senseless, it aint no secret.”

“I’m sure the feelings mutual,” She replied as she relaxed back more into her seat. “You’re the resident bad boy, every girl wants to ‘fuck’ the bad boy, but ‘marry’ the good boy.”

“Oh yeah why is that?” Logan asked sincerely seeking an answer.

“Simple, good boys like Scott are open and honest, loyal to a fault, faithful. They would never purposely hurt you and most importantly they would never leave you. Shit like that is appealing to someone like Jean, but she’d still like to feel you between her thighs even just for one little tryst, just to get it out of her system. But she’d never take you home to meet mom and pop or take your last name and give you babies. No, not Miss Priss.” Logan found himself nodding at her words because he knew that she was right on with everything she was saying. “Now me, I think ‘bad boys’ are more my speed.”

“So Scooter don’t do it for you?” Logan asked with a sated smile, though he didn’t know why that thought pleased him so much.

“He’s ok I guess but I’m damaged goods now, I don’t think someone like him would want me not after…”

“After what, after ‘I’ fucked ya?” Logan asked his anger flared as he looked at her now with a hard glare, as she stared back at him looking like a fish out of water. “Ya think yer ruined now, that I’ve ruined you? Don’t flatter yerself sweetheart, granted yer pussy was definitely dusty from lack of use but you weren’t some virgin, and I won’t some bad boy who ‘took’ yer virtue, not with the way you threw it in my face practically begging me to have it.”

“I was talking about my accident, God conceited much?” She said in a small voice as she removed her feet from the window and sat upright in her seat, focusing her eyes onto the scenery flying by her window.

“Oh,” He responded and then grew silent, he knew that he had been in the wrong but would have been damned before he would admit that aloud. “That don’t mean yer damaged, just…different than ya were before, that’s all.”

“I think we’ve established that I’m a nutcase Logan, take you for example. You’re not the nicest person I’ve met, in fact you’re crude, rude, and highly volatile, but you’re the only one that I like and can stand to be around for more than 60 seconds, and when you tried to fuck my brains out the other day, you purposely hurt me and that scared me a little and it left a very sour taste in my mouth, yet I’m still very drawn to you and…aroused by you. ” She spoke the last part in a hushed tone but knew he could still hear her, and the hairs on the back of his neck rose up at her acknowledgement. “You know what’s it like?” She asked as she reached out and gently smacked his arm as if trying to gain his attention. “It’s like sticking your tongue on one of those 9 volt batteries,” She said and he threw her a puzzled look. “It hurts but you want to keep doing it over and over again because something about it appeals to you. That’s our relationship in a nutshell, you’re a 9 volt battery and even though you’ll probably keep hurting me I still want to keep sticking my tongue on you.” After a few moments to digest what she had said Logan’s robust laughter filled the air.

“Yeah, yer a nutcase,” He laughed out in a deep, gruff tone as he playfully reached over and tugged his hat down further on her head, covering her eyes. She smiled brightly at him as she titled her head back the gazed at him from under the brim of the hat, not bothering to pull it back up on her head. She then turned the volume back up on the radio, propped her foot back up in the window and broke out into song once more.

“'Cause I'm a redneck woman…I ain't no high class broad…I'm just a product of my raising…I say, 'hey ya'll' and 'yee-haw',”





You must login () to review.