He entered the room as quietly as possible not wanting to wake Ororo, whom he had assumed would be fast asleep, but when he scanned the dark room he spotted her sitting in the bed, wide awake and he could tell that she had been crying.

“It’s 2am, only a few hours before sunrise. I told ya we’d be heading out at sunrise.” He said as he moved to the bed, sat down and began removing his boots.

“Thank you,” Her meek voice floated to his ears, and he turned a bit and glanced at her over his shoulder.

“For what?”

“For coming back,” She answered as she settled further down in the bed, turning on her side, putting her back to him, and covering herself with the bedding.

“I told ya I was comin back,” Logan replied as he pulled his black t-shirt over his head and pulled off his blue jeans.

“I know,” She said with what sounded to him like a relieved sigh as she finally closed her eyes.

“But ya didn’t think I was?” He questioned as he pulled back the covers and nestled in the bed beside her.

“No, and I wouldn’t have blamed you if you didn’t. I have been such a bitch to you and I am truly sorry, Logan, I just…” She paused and after several minutes of waiting Logan realized she wasn’t going to continue unless coaxed.

“You what, darlin?”

“You make me feel,” She said point blank as if that explained it all. Logan settled under the covers beside her, lying on his back with his hands behind his head.

“What?” Again he coaxed.

“I don’t feel anything, I don’t care about anything except….except when I’m with you. Even when you…earlier… even though that really hurt, at least that was something. I’m off in the head, I know that. Everyone back at Xavier’s told me stories about her, what she was like before the accident, how kind she was, how sweet, loving, and generous. Was she ‘that’ perfect? Was she genuine? Was she sincere?” After a long pause he realized that she was expecting an answer.”

“Yeah, she was the real deal. She was all of those things and much more,” Logan said and then felt her shift in the bed, she turned to her side to face him.

“I have none of those qualities, none of those feelings,” She replied with a sad sigh.

“Yeah I know,” He responded with a heavy sigh of his own. “But yer alive, which is a miracle considering what ya went through. SO I guess that’s something you and ‘Ro have in common, yer both fighters and both tough as nails.”

“I don’t look like her to you do I? I mean everyone else looks at me and automatically expects me to act like her, but not you.”

“You ‘look’ like her, ya just don’t feel like her. I noticed that even when ya laid in that coma.”

“Don’t tell me you sat at my bedside, praying over me,” She teased with a slight giggle.

“Hell no, prayin is for dreamers and fools. I know better and wouldn’t waste my breath. But I did sit with ya every day, we all did, took turns even, keepin constant vigil over ya.”

“Well you all must have been very disappointed when I woke up instead of ‘her’.”

“Naw, I think for the most part everyone was just happy you woke up at all, because yer accident was bad, real bad.”

“Were we close?” She threw out so suddenly and randomly Logan turned to look at her, just to see if she was being serious. “You and her I mean.”

“We were teammates, and I’d say out of everyone ‘Ro was the person I was closest to, we had a lot In common, though I didn't realize it ‘til after she was gone and I didn’t have her companionship,” He answered honestly.

“But nothing more, I mean we weren’t lovers?” She continued to interrogate him.

“No, we never got that close?”

“Did you want to be that close with her?”

“No, ‘Ro was a beautiful, sexy woman no doubt about that, but I liked her too much to fuck her over, and getting involved with me would have killed our friendship. I aint got many friends and like I said she was the closest one I had.”

“Oh,” Ororo said in a deflated tone. “Earlier in the jeep when you…I know that you were punishing me, I just thought there was more to it than just your disliking me and getting your rocks off.”

“Yeah…about earlier,” Logan began to speak and Ororo quickly cut him off.

“You do not need to apologize, I deserved it. You were right I have been throwing myself at you since I’ve met you.”

“I wasn’t gonna apologize,” He said matter-of-fact. “I was just gonna warn ya that I can’t guarantee that it won’t happen again, especially if ya keep at me like ya’ve been doing, before there was always some kind of distraction stopping me.”

“You mean Jean,” She interjected.

“Yeah well Jean aint here now, and now that I’ve tasted ya…look I aint gonna force myself on ya or anything, but if ya tempt me, I’m gonna take ya and I aint particular about the wheres and hows.”

“Would you always be so rough?” She asked as she reached over and touched his chest, burying her fingers in the hairs there and her action and words of acceptance stunned him a bit.

“Well that depends on you and whether or not ya piss me off.”

“Then I shall try not to piss you off, and then you will be gentler?” She asked and he couldn’t help but compare her to a small, scare child needing reassurance.

“Just don’t provoke me darling, and we won’t have a problem.” He stated and she gave a nod and then snuggled closer to him and rested her head upon his shoulder. He heard her sigh contently and as if moving of its own accord one of his hands reached down and grasped the hand she still had resting against his chest. They both lay in the dark quietly for nearly an hour before sleep finally claimed them, taking Ororo first and then Logan soon afterward.





You must login () to review.