Chapter 2: Healing

“Hey.” He said as he entered the kitchen and made his way to the refrigerator. He opened and pulled out a beer before walking to the table and taking a seat in front of her. She never looked up, but stared down at her tall glass of lemonade, when she finally looked up at him she smile a little as he gulped back his beer.

“What are you doing up Logan?” She asked now looking back down at her glass. He looked to her placing his half empty bottle of beer on the table.

“Couldn’t sleep, nightmares, you?” He asked leaning back a bit and folding his arms across his chest.

“The same.” She replied letting a frown form, Logan himself frowned at the idea she was still having nightmares.

“Maybe ya should talk ta somebody, it’s been nearly eighteen months…”

“And what I should be over it by now?” She asked looking him directly in the eyes, and he in turned bowed his head a bit in shame. “How does one get over losing a best friend, and in such a way?” She asked and Logan growled a bit in frustration at her references to ‘best friend’. “I know you do not understand how I can refer to him as such, but he was one of my dearest closet friend. And I loved him despite all else.”

“He raped ya.” Logan stated. “Ya can’t even say it can ya?”

“I do not see the point,”

“Ya don’t see the point,” Logan repeated as he threw his head back and let a chuckle escape. “Tha point is that’s what happened an that’s why yer having these nightmares, and they aint gonna go away til ya talk ta somebody about it darlin.”

“I am talking to somebody, “She responded.

“I don’t count.”

“Why not?”

“Because,” He huffed as he stood and made his way back to the fridge, pulling out another beer, before taking his seat again. “I aint qualified fer it,”

“For what to be a friend who listens to another’s problems. Personally Logan I think you are perfectly qualified.”

“Naw I aint, cause if I hear I swear ta God, I’ll go dig tha bastard up and burn what’s left of his corpse.” She wrinkled her noses to the thought. “Sorry but I can’t stand that he hurt ya like that, and I…” he ended his words and took a huge gulp of his beer.

“And you were not there to help me?” She finished. He slowly nodded his head as he stared at her, and then a thought came to her. “Logan, do you think I blame you in some way?” He didn’t answer just lowered his eyes to the table. “I do not as I do not blame Scott for what happened. It was a horrible experience for me to not be in control to be violated in such a way, but it happened though I wish to the Goddess it had not, it did and there is nothing to be done about it now. But do know you were never to blame for it.”

“I blame myself darlin, I saw him after Jean’s death. I saw him spiraling and I knew it would lead ta nothing good, but I left anyway, ignored it.”

“You were dealing with Jean’s death as well.”

“Yeah but I should have helped him, for Jeannie’s sake. She loved him, I get that now.”

“Yes she really did, but in the end that was not Scott, not the Scott we all knew and loved. It was grief I think, at least that is what was driving him. He lost the love of his life, can you imagine what that did to him?”

“Yeah I got a pretty good idea.” Logan said.

“Oh Logan, I am sorry my friend of course you loved her too…”

“It wasn’t Jean, though yeah I loved her, she reminded me of Rose, now ‘she’ was tha love of my life, but she didn’t feel tha same. She was in love with someone else, tha story of my life aint it?” He chuckled and Ororo smiled warmly at him as she reached out and grasped his hand into hers. His smile faded into a serious look as he stared at her hand, stoking it with his calloused fingers. “I killed her,”

“Who?” Ororo asked her brow bunched up in confusion.

“Rose, I killed her. An enemy from my past, our past showed up, we fought she got in the middle…”

SNIKT!

“I am so sorry Logan, but that was not your fault.”

“Naw,” He retracted his blades and looked up at her. “Sure as hell feels like it is.” They sat in silence for a few moments either knowing what to say, and then finally Ororo spoke.

“It is late,” She began, now standing. “I suppose I should try to get some sleep.”

“Yeah,” Logan said agreeing as he too stood, tossing his bottles in the trashcan. “Come on then.” He said holding out his hand to her, which she simply stared at from her spot at the sink, where she had pour her Lemonade.

“Where are ‘we’ going?” She asked as she moved to him, taking his hand as he walked them to the backdoor.

“Out back,”

“I see that but where out back.”

“My secret place, where I go when I can’t sleep. A few moments out there and you’ll be out like a light and snoring.” Ororo arched her brow to that.

“I never snore.” Logan laughed outright as they made their way across he lush grass. “What, I do not snore.” She reaffirmed now giggling herself.

“Fine then ya have a bear sleepin under yer bed then.”

“Goddess surely it is not that bad,”

“Thought ya said ya don’t snore.” He said watching her out the corner of his eyes.

“I do not snore…loudly.” She added and again Logan started laughing. “It is not funny,” She said smacking his arm and laughing a little herself, which stopped when they came to stand in front of a huge willow tree, whose branches hung low to the ground. “This is your secret place, a Willow tree?”

“No,” He answered as he pushed aside some of the branches to reveal a hammock. Ororo’s smile broadened.

“This is where you are when no one can find you?”

“Yup, and now yer tha only one who knows about it, so don’t go telling anybody.”

“I would never, but I hope you do not mind if I come out here once in awhile to hide away.”

“Knock yerself out.”

“So, how do we…”

“Simple,” He moved to the hammock and hopped in it and then beckoned for her. “Now yer on top.” After a moment’s hesitation Ororo moved in closer and let Logan help her into the hammock, nearly on top of him.

“I am not hurting you?”

“Naw, in fact ya need ta eat something darlin, yer light as a feather.” He said jokingly.

“I do eat, Goddess you have seen me eat do I look like I starve myself.”

“Yer right ya can be a pig sometimes.” He said laughing, which earned him a swift elbow to the ribs. “Aww.”

‘This is nice, a very nice hideaway.” She said with a contented sigh.

“Yeah but the scenery aint the best part of it, especially at night, just listen.” They both got quiet and the noises that fill the night soon surrounded them, singing a soothing lullaby. Before long Logan could feel Ororo’s body go limp against his, as her breathing came in slow steady rhythms. He knew she was sleep and he soon followed her.





You must login () to review.