When Ororo answered her door she wasn’t surprised to see who was on the other side. Jean Summers stood hesitantly facing her. Goddess she only had minutes to finish pack and be gone before Logan returned. She didn’t have the time to deal with Jean but like always she couldn’t turn away from her either. With a resigned sign she allowed the pretty red head to enter.

“What is it, Jean”

“I’m sorry Ororo but we need to talk before you leave.” She stared at Jean.

“ There is nothing to discuss.” She turned away from her.

“You know that’s not true. We have to talk about yesterday. Please Ro, I need to explain what happened.” She pleaded.

“What is there to explain? You’ve always wanted to be the center of attention and now you have it. “

“That’s not true Ro! I knew Logan was only using you to get to me. I had to prove it in order to protect you.” Ororo whirled around. She could not believe what she was hearing.

“I find you with the man that I love in the most intimate act between a man and woman and you dare to say you were protecting me! Goddess Jean I expected many excuses from you but none so blatantly false.”

“It’s the truth Ro. You are like a sister to me. I did not want to see you hurt.” She insisted. Ororo laughed humorlessly. Did Jean really take her for such a fool as to believe that?

“You failed. Where did Scott fit in with your concern?” she sneered.

“This has nothing to do with Scott”

“You are wrong Jean. What do you think would happen if he found out about what you did to “protect” me?” Ororo asked sardonically. Jean paled. She was visible shaken now. Her eyes flashed angrily at Ro.

“I came here to make things right with us but don’t think you can threaten me Ro.”

“Threaten you?” Ro laughed harshly. It was time they put their cards on the table. “No Jeannie that was not a threat but a premonition. Scott will find out but it won’t be my doing.”

Pushing aside her false pretense at making up with Ro, Jean stared daggers at her. For years she had to compete with her for attention. No more! She had finally wiped that smug superior look from her face and intended to keep it that way. She knew how Ororo felt about Logan. Better then Ro herself but Jean also wanted Logan. She loved Scott but what she felt for the Wolverine was unlike anything she had ever felt before. Even for her husband. She wouldn’t hurt him nor would she give Logan up. Who said a woman couldn’t have her cake and eat too! Especially if it was half as rewarding as its been so far.

Seeing Ro and her Logan together for the past couple of months had been a living hell for her. He had wanted her first! So she had set out to get him back. This time for good. As for Ro and Scott she was sure they would never find out about them. They would have been pretty discreet with their affair. Who choice did they have? Though she would not let Scott go either. Especially to the “goddess”. Jean had always known that Scott had preferred Ororo to her. He had only chosen her because he’d thought Ororo had not wanted him. How wrong had he been! For years Jean had watched the longing looks she gave him. The excuses to be near him. Ororo had actually thought no one noticed! Jean had learned long ago there was one way she could always come out on top. To use her sexuality. Something the wind bitch didn’t have a clue on how to do. No, somehow she would hold on to husband and her lover.

“That won’t happen. The three of us are the only ones who know and I know Logan wouldn’t tell him so that leaves only you.” She said tightly.

“What about you? Have you forgotten your mind link with him? Of course you have not. But how long can you keep him from seeing what you did? A few days, weeks?” A dark expression Ororo had only seen when Jean had first acquired the Phoenix clouded her expression. All façade of pleasantries were gone from both women. Only the long-suffering goddess and vengeful phoenix remained.

“Bitch!” snarled Jean. Surprised at the telepath, Ororo laughed. Who would have guessed such words would ever pass through the ‘perfect’ Mrs. Summers?

“If you want Logan, Jean you are welcomed to him. But know if you hurt Scott in your selfish pursuits then you will have me to deal with.” She promised. Her tone dripping with acid.

Bitter laughter escaped Jeans lips. “What’s the matter Ro? Can’t deal with the fact that they both want me and not you?” If she had slapped Ororo it would have achieved the same result. There was no hiding from what she said. Before Jean joined the school it had been her Scott was interested in. The moment he had laid eyes on the stunning new member of their school, Ororo had ceased to exist. And now the one man that had seen behind the goddess had also chosen her. She warred with herself to push down her rising anger as remembrance of all the years of letting Jean be the center of attention. The one to win. Instead preferring to take the role of dependable mother hen.

Only one man had not been fooled by the insecure trappings that Jean laid out. Forge had seen only the invisible goddess. He had desired her, wanted only her. Enough to want to marry her. Yet in the end he had chosen another. She later learned it was because of a conversation he had with Jean. She had told him that Ororo would never leave the Xmen. Given a choice she would always choose Xavier’s dream of mutants and humans coexisting. Shortly after that, Forge’s proposal of marriage had been retracted and he had left the mansion with Raven Darkhorme. She would never have abandoned the dream or her family but had she been given a choice she would have found a way to have both. It had taken Ororo years to get over Forge.

“Jealous?” Ororo slowly nodded. “ At one point when Logan first came to us, I was. I wanted to be the one he flirted with. The one his eyes followed across a room. It did not happen and I accepted it. You enjoyed being the object of his attention even though Scott waited in the wings.”

“What woman wouldn’t, Ororo? Logan is unlike any other man we’ve ever encountered. And to be the focus of his attentions was exhilarating!”

“Yes it is. I ask again where does Scott fit in all of this? You recently made a vow to him! To forsake all others. A vow you have broken Goddess knows how many times already!” Thunder roared outside the windows. The wind had picked up as dark clouds schrowed over the sun. Blocking it from view. Still Ororo maintained enough control over the weather.

“It was only once!”

“Is that what you tell yourself when you look at Scott? If you wanted Logan so much why marry him? Why wait until Logan chose me?” Then a thought hit Ororo like a ton of bricks. “You want them both!” she murmured incredulously. Understanding finally allowing her to see Jean for what she was. A weak, pathetic woman who thrived on acting helpless to gain attention. Why had she not seen it before. All the years of Jean clinging to all the male members of the mansion. Her air of vulnerability around them. It was all an act! And in many ways Ororo had contributed to this.

“Don’t you dare throw around false accusations Ororo Munroe! I know what you’re thinking. And you’re wrong! I love them both.” Shouted Jean.

“Love!” raged Ororo. “Do you even know the meaning of the word? Its not slowly tearing down the man you pledge your devotion to! How can you stand there and tell me you love them! For years Scott has been completely devoted to you but all you cared about was your own needs. Did you ever consider what your flirtation was doing to him? And to Logan? Do you even care?”

“My relationship with Scott and anyone else is none of your business!”

Ororo nodded. “You are right, it should not be. When you put us all in the middle then it becomes mine and every member of this households business. You risk the team when our leader is so focused on a potential rival then he is on the mission! When the tension is so thick we fear what will happen next!”

“You’re lying!” she said harshly.

“Am I Jean? For a telepath you have been rather dense. Open your eyes and really see for once. See the hidden pain etched on your husbands face. The growing animosity between him and Logan. Two men that are so alike that under different circumstances they would have been friends! When you’ve done that gaze on the worry lines on Xavier’s face, on the students. Because I’ve seen them.”

“Always the regal goddess! How does it feel to be perched alone on your throne? Are you that angry that Logan wants me? Has always wanted me. He once told me after an exhausting bout of great sex, he could never be interested in you because you were nothing but a cold fish. You know Ororo, he was right!” She pulled the door open in froze. “Scott!”

At Jean’s surprised shout Ororo pushed aside the horrible, piercing hole widening her heart and rushed to the open door in time to see the pain covering Scotts face before he pushed through the stilled forms of Marie, Bobby and Jubilee. They had all heard everything. Sending her a look of loathing Jean chased after him. Oh goddess! Three pairs of eyes stared at her.

“Ms Munroe?” asked Marie.

“Yes child”

“I’m sorry.” Unshed tears glistering in her eyes, Ororo reached for her. The hug was brief but it was enough.

“Thank you child. Now you all go get dress. Classes will begin soon.” They hesitated for a brief moment. Worry scribbled across their faces. Ororo forced a smile to her lips. It must have reassured them enough for they slowly walked down the hall to their rooms. Ororo turned back to hers and closed the door.

Scott. She whispered, painfully. The tears, like the heavy raindrops outside her balcony went unheeded. Only one thought kept repeating itself in her mind over and over again.

What had she done?





You must login () to review.