The Return



“Sky?” Remy asked uncertainly as she made her way back in to the mansion, obsidian eyes unseeing.

How could they not have realized she and Ororo were sisters? They shared so many characteristics, and had the same facial structure.

Wrapping an arm around Ro’s waist as she made her way in next Logan shook his head. No wonder her scent had always reminded him of Ro. She smelled like a water lily, he realized shaking his head as the young girl continued to stand between Remy and Kurt completely shell shocked.

“ Sky are you all right?” The Professor asked mental probing her mind to see how much damage remembering had caused.

“For the first time in a long time, I think I am,” She said speaking for the first time as her eyes slowly faded to their normal color.

“No wonder I always felt connected to you,” She said smiling as she and Ororo shared a knowing look. They had formed an even closer bond now.

“ I think we’ve all had enough excitement for one night,” The professor said pointedly turning to address the crowd that had gathered upstairs.

“I’m ok Remy,” Sky whispered smiling as she placed a gentle hand on his shoulder; meeting his eyes as they communicated silently. Sensing Scott’s panic she made her way to him next placing a soothing hand on his tensed arm.

“ I am sorry, I didn’t mean to worry everyone,” She whispered knowing the scenario had seemed all to familiar for the sun glassed man who had been through so much in the past few months.

“A- As long as you’re okay,” He said forcing a smile before quickly making his way out of the room.

Sighing heavily she found herself leaning against Kurt for support.

“We will run tests tomorrow, for now get some rest,” the Professor said making her flash him a grateful smile as the new resident doctor frowned.

Henry McCoy was the newest addition to the team procured a couple of months back, and though she loved him he could hound you with his thirst for knowledge on the x gene. She had become his top priority of late, and the last thing she needed right now was a bunch of tests.

“Come Himmel, let’s get you in to bed,” Kurt said forcing everyone in to action.
Mustering a wave for the chorus of goodbyes from her family she let herself fall in to a much needed deep sleep.

~~~
“You ok Ro?” Logan asked slipping beside the silver hair goddesses who laid on her side in their queen size bed.

“ Yes, I am just … shocked, the ideal of having family will take a little getting used to, not that I didn’t think of Sky that way all ready.”

“ I feel like a chapter of my life has been closed… it is refreshing,” She said smiling as she turned to face her lover.

“Are you ok my love?”

“Yea, you girls had me worried there for a minute darling,” He said shivering as he thought of the sight of the two disappearing behind ominous looking storm clouds.

“ She has the same connection with the weather as I do, but … I sense something different in her, something ancient.”

“ Ancient?” He asked cocking his head to the side.

“Yes, I believe she tapped in to our ancestors more than I did.” She said slowly drifting to as she wondered what powers her sister now possessed. Sister… she liked the sound of that.

“ Look Ro, I got something I been meaning to talk to you about… at first I wanted to wait for the right moment, but as an X-men we know better than most that tomorrow isn’t promised to us,” Logan said bringing them both to a sitting position as he looked in to her eyes.

“ What is it Logan?” she asked put off by his nervousness.

Logan was the most self- assured man she’d ever met, and if he was actually anxious about something it was for a good reason.

Watching as he slid from the bed, and walked over to the traveling bag he kept in the closet she tried to steady her erratically beating heart. Had he found out something about his past? Was he going to leave again?

“ Would you do me the honor of becoming my wife?” He asked completely flooring her as he pulled out a deep blue velvet case and moved over to the bed.

Mouth gaping she watched as he lowered himself to his knee and took her hand in to his own.

“You’re the best thing that ever happened to me darling, you make me happier than I ever thought possible. You bring me a peace I thought lost to me. You’re my best friend, a class act, and the most beautiful women I’ve ever met in my life inside and out, I know I don’t deserve you… but will you be mine anyway?” He asked actually trembling slightly as he waited for her response.

“ Oh Goddess! Yes!” She screeched throwing herself in to his arms as he grinned. An expression she had never seen on his face before this night.



~~~~

“Who are you?” Sky asked frustrated as she found herself in the strange gray matter filled dream once more. There was obviously something she was missing here.

“ I am Jean Grey, and yet not,” said a voice that made the hair on her neck stand up.

“You’re either her or you’re not there’s no in-between,” She muttered feeling uneasy because the voice almost sounded sexless.

Like something you would hear in a movie when someone was portraying a god of Ancient Greece.

“It as I’ve said.” It answered.

“Why are you contacting me? ”

“Because you are powerful enough to do what I will ask of you.”

“Which is what?” She asked letting the void hold her in its warm embrace now that she did not feel threatened.

“Come get me.”


~~~
Instantly awake as the dream ended Sky wrapped her arms around herself feeling cold from the inside out. Scrambling from the covers she rushed to the dresser throwing on a pair of sweats and a tank top before hauling ass to the Professors room. The sun had not yet risen, but this was something that could not wait.

“ Proff wake up!” She said banging on the door as she shifted her weight from side to side in a nervous dance.

“ We have to get Jean now,” She said not bothering to waste time when her groggy mentor opened the door still clad in pajamas.

“Jean?” He mumbled still half asleep.

“ Alkaline lake, she’s ready.”

“Yes,” He said smiling.

“ I knew she would come back to us… I will gather the others, prepare the jets,” he said wheeling himself back in to the room as he sent out a mental call.

Rushing to the lower levels she quickly suited up and readied the jet they would take before making her way to the room they had all gathered in.

“What is this about?” Logan asked cross from being interrupted from what he had been doing.

Judging from his flushed face, she assumed it wasn’t sleeping.

“There is an urgent mission that needs tending to,” The Professor said all ready briefing Storm, Kurt, and Logan as he spoke.

“ Scott, I will need you to stay behind with the children this time, and hold down the fort here,” He said knowing he would do more harm then good if he was allowed to go.

Nodding his head in agreement he slumped in his chair, still exhausted from the night before. Seeing Sky like that had brought back a lot of painful memories, and his sleep had been filled with nightmares.

~~~

Aboard the Jet

“What is this all about?” Logan asked annoyed that they still had no ideal where they were headed or why.

They all sat in the black bird awaiting direction now, wondering what was so top secret that needed to sneak from their mansion in the darkness of pre-dawn. Turning to face Logan Sky froze in mid-speech as she spotted the gleaming stone places on Ororo’s finger.

“Oh my God! You finally asked her!” Sky said ignoring Remy who was shaking his head as she threw her arms around the weather witch in the pilot seat.

“ De Wolverine a smart man non?” Remy said smirking at the growl playfully tossed his way.

The Cajun was solely but surely growing on the gruff Canadian. It was damned hard to hate the charmer when he cared so much about Sky.

“Vis is Vunderbar!” Kurt said quickly moving to congratulate the newly engaged couple.

“ Thanks Bub,” Logan said smiling as he shook the three-fingered hand offered to him.

“ You knew!” Storm asked eyes sparkling.

“Yeap!” Sky said glad for this brief reprise from what was to come.

She took no joy in telling the others where they were headed, but she could feel the Professor in her mind lending his silent support.

“ Hate to break dis up, But I tink ma petite got sometin to say,” Remy said giving her hand a quick squeeze as everyone turned to look at her.

“ We’re going to Alkaline Lake,” She said wincing as the strong reactions the words brought pounded against her hastily thrown up shields.

It was like opening a fresh wound with Storm, and Logan, and Kurt oozed confusion and fear as he remembered the things that had happened that day.

“ Why?” Logan asked growling as he purposely relaxed his tense muscles.

“ Because “She” asked me to,” Sky whispered silent as she took her seat behind Storm who’s co pilot was now her fiancée.

“I’ve been having the same dream for a few months now, but I never understood what they meant until last night when she spoke to me directly , she said I was the only one powerful enough to come and get her, like she’ d been waiting all this time for me to evolve,” She whispered shivering as she recalled the voice from her dream.

“ I kept having these… memory flashes, things I knew didn’t belong to me, like there was someone else living inside of my head.”

“ Why didn’t you tell us?” Logan asked growling as they got the jet on its way.

“ Because I was going through enough testing and training as it was, being a guinea pig aint the funniest thing in the world ya know?” She hissed looking the entire world like a spoiled daughter.

Grunting in response the cabin was instantly filled with silence, each person lost in their own thoughts. Remaining silent Sky filled Remy in mentally on who Jean was and what had happened almost a year earlier.

“ Ten minutes till arrival,” Storm said glancing nervously at the women she now knew to be her sister.


~~~ ~

Feeling the familiar tug on her psyche Sky eased down her mental shields, letting the presence she now recognized as Jean in.

“ Where are you?” She asked surprised that she received a mental image now.

“ At the bottom of the lake, you’ll have to displace the water with your powers.”

“You’re in the … cocoon aren’t you? The gray matter I’ve dreamed of being in,” She said as everything fell in to place.

Nodding she simply smiled before beginning to fade as she pulled away from the mental link.

“Fly to the middle of the lake, and once I’m there… fly up a couple few feet,” Sky said grateful for the professor when he squelched the protests that quickly rose.

Jean has been in a sort of … hibernation and she will need to be carefully monitored from the moment she is aboard. I am uncertain of her mental state as well, so I will render her unconscious. She may be confused, and feel a bit misplaced one she is awake, but despite her new powers she is still our Jean Grey.

“ Do you mean to tell me that all this time she has been… evolving professor?” Storm asked relieved that her friend would return to them, but frightened by the aspect of a more powerful Jean.

She had dismantled a missile and reassembled a jet, how much more powerful could she possibly be?

Shivering as she recalled her friends’ trouble dealing with her powers mentally before evolution she sent a swift prayer to her goddess. She didn’t think, Scott would manage losing Jean a second time, he was barley getting by now.
Nervous as Storm flew the jet higher, and she made her way to the opened door She fought not to look down. Flying was a new thing to her, and though she could manipulate the winds it still made her uneasy to be so high above the ground.

“ I will help you control the winds,” Storm said practically reading her mind as she tossed her a knowing smile.

She too had once been a novice at the power to control the weather.

“I guess it’s now or never,” She said speaking with a bravado she possesses as she tossed a mock salute before hoping from the plane.

Her eyes glazed over and bleed black as she hovered above the water like a water nymph, her newly acquired white hair swirling around her heart shaped face. Gritting her teeth she went in to a zen like state as she gathered every ounce of power she had and concentrated on the lake.

“Vat is she doing?” Kurt asked watching in horror as the water began to churn, and bubble.

“Mon Dieu!” Remy exclaimed as the water began to slowly roll back on either side, as it parted like the red sea.

“ How could she have become so powerful?” Ro asked turning to glance at an equally confused Logan.

“ I don’t know darling,” he said silently praying that she could handle the strain she was placing upon her self.

Parting an ocean with her mind was a far cry from exploding robots in to pieces, and just a day ago that had exhausted her.

“What the fuck is that !” Logan exclaimed as they all stared at the gray cocoon laid bare now that the water was gone.

“That is Jean,” the professor answered.

“Kurt teleport down, and bring the cocoon in to the jet , she will emerge soon.”

Shaking as the sweat poured down her face Sky continued to hold the water at bay grateful for Kurt’s speed as he bamfed to the lake bottom and back to the jet in less than a minute. Releasing the water Sky shivered as a chill went down her back. There was something else here with them now, and it wasn’t just Jean Gray.





You must login () to review.