Walking away she ran over the things he’d said in her head…. Not even the X-men really had it all together. Now she didn’t feel quite so inadequate.


“Hey kid, long day?” Logan asked as she stumbled in to the living room and collapsed on the couch face first.

“Uh huh,” She answered making herself more comfortable before drifting off.


Sniffing once more he narrowed his eyes as he tried once more to place her scent. She smelled like sandalwood… and some kind of water flower he couldn’t quite place. Then again that was more of Ro’s department than his. Leaning back in the lazy boy he sipped on his beer wondering how RO would act once she saw him. He hadn’t had a chance to see her since last night, and he was wondering if she was having second thoughts. Hell he wouldn’t blame her if she wanted nothing to do with him. He didn’t have much to offer a woman like Ro, no past, no manners, and a tendency to go in to berserker rages. Not someone you’d want to write home to mom about. Finishing off his beer he smiled as the familiar scent of sandalwood, and rain drifted to him.

: Speak of the devil: he thought.

“Hey Ro, can we talk?” He said gesturing to the patio as she entered the room.

“Sure,” She said, her heart beat increasing.
He was actually relieved that he only smelt nervousness; fear would have killed something inside of him.

“ Ro about last night, I’m sorry if I came on too strong there, I didn’t mean to scare you – “ he started abruptly cut off by her fingers on his bottom lip silencing him.

“No Logan it is who am sorry I did not mean to just walk away.. .you simply caught my by surprise, you see I was not sure you really meant what you said that night.”

“Roro, I haven’t been this sure about anything in the last fifteen years,” he said, heart swelling with pride when she smiled.

“What-what do you wish to do?” She asked looking like a confused teenage on a first date as she glanced up at him bashfully.

“I want whatever you want doll, I’ll take you any way I can get you, even if that means just being friends.”

“ I do not know what to say,” She said blushing, but secretly glad that he felt so strongly about her.

“ I - I am not sure Logan. It has been such a long time since I dated,” She said tilting her head slightly the way she always did when she was unsure about something.

“How bout we just take things slow, and see what that goddess of yours has planned?” He asked teasing a smile from her lush lips.

“Okay,” she conceded, something small for some one else, but a big show of trust coming from Roro.

“How about some D&D tomorrow?”

“D&D?” She asked a graceful cloud colored eyebrow arched.

“Dinner and dancing.”

“That sounds wonderful Logan,” She said excited about a night out on the town.

“Seven ok for you?”

“Perfect,” She said smiling as she kissed him on the check before saying goodnight, and heading up stairs.

*****


As the night before Sky found herself beside Logan after her next episode, trembling as she clutched that comforting image of white closer. What the hell had happened to her, and why couldn’t she remember? No truth could be worse than these dreams.

“Is everything ok in there?” Called a voice that made her assume a fetal position. This time she had shattered the mirror in her rooms to pieces.

“Everything is fine Cyke,” Logan answered.

“Sky isn’t answering her door….”

“ She’s fine,” he said not wanting to embarrass the girl by admitting she was huddled beside him, more than likely fighting the unreleased salty drops he could smell.

“If you’re sure,” Scott said still sounding uncertain.

“I’ll take care of it,” He said trying to make his voice less harsh as he smelled the grief coming off him.

“All right,” he said hesitant to walk away from the newest member of their family, he knew first hand from Jean what she was going through. The ideal of helping her as much as he could helped take away the sting of death. She was like a present … a second chance to do all the things he wished he had with Jean.


“You ok kid?” he asked gruffly as he heard her heart beat slowly go back down to normal.

“Yea,” She said softly beginning to drift back off.

Between her draining powers, and lack of sleep it was amazing she could even function.


******

“God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I and the wisdom to know the difference …” Sky whispered tears trailing down her face as she prayed for peace and strength that day before school.

She wasn’t sure what she had done in the past to deserve the hell she was living, but she had been apologizing for years. She knew God did things to test you, and would never give you more than you could handle, but right now she felt as if she was straddling a fine line.

“Hintereinander leben ein Tag; Einen Moment auf einmal genießen; Annehmen von von Härten als die Bahn zum Frieden; Nehmen, wie er, diese sinful Welt, wie sie ist, nicht da ich sie haben würde; Das
Vertrauen, daß er alle Sachen recht bildet, wenn ich seinem übergebe, wird; Daß ich mit ihm im folgenden recht glücklich in diesem Leben und supremely glücklich für immer sein kann. Amen.”


Translation : Living one day at a time; Enjoying one moment at a time; Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will; That I may be reasonably happy in this life, and supremely happy with Him Forever in the next. Amen.

She was still as she listened to that mesmerizing voice praying with her, for her. Normally she would pull her tough girl façade around her, and let him know he was trespassing on her space; but just now she was too tired. And some how his presence wasn’t intrusive like most, it was actually comforting, which should have scared her. Bowing her head she let him complete the prayer as they clutched their rosary beads, letting the silence wash over them as they said the prayers in their hearts. Rising she paused briefly to rest her hand on his shoulder before leaving.

“Thank you,” She said smiling as he covered her hand with his own briefly.

Stepping out in to the busy hallway she prepared herself for another day of fending off the thoughts off others, training with Xavier, and the one bright spot … meditation with Ororo.



“I’m beginning to think you are purposely going harder on me,” Sky grunted from her current position on her back.

Her third class was Self defense with Logan, and it was quite obvious that he was harder on you when he liked you, being the backwards man that he was. Rogue was at the moment still rubbing her rear from her session a few minutes earlier.

“Hey an enemy wouldn’t go easy on you,” he said growling slightly to cover his laughter.

“I don’t have any, that’s your department,” She said surprising him with her limberness as she snapped up catching him in the chest as she slipped in to a tumble.

“Son of a.” He mumbled catching himself as hell fell in to a roll just before he hit the floor. The bell saved her as she rushed in to the shower, knowing that tomorrow she would not be so lucky.

“Nice job today Sky,” he mumbled smiling as the other students gasped.

“Ooh Mah goodness Logan did ya just tell her she did ah good job?” Rouge teased as the others laugh.

“ I sure did darlin,” he said winking at her before going to prepare for the next class.


*****

After working with the Prof on concentrating Sky headed to her session with Ororo, glad the day was almost at an end.

“Good afternoon Sky,” Ororo said smiling as she entered her private rooms in the attics.

“Hey Ororo,” She said instantly at ease as the smells of exotic plants drifted to her. There was just something about this woman that she liked.

“Are you ready to begin?” She asked leading her over to a few mats sat under a windowsill.

“ I guess… I’ve never done anything like this before,” She admitting feeling awkward.

“Do not worry, you will catch on quickly,” She said smiling as she sat crossed legged, gesturing for her to do the same.

“ The first step is too fully relax,” she said showing her a breathing technique.

“Now… filter out everything else that is on your mind, and all the background noise,” She whispered.


Soon Sky found herself lost in her own world, beyond pain, worries, self-doubt ,where nightmares could not follow. It almost felt like floating, but all to soon Ororo directed her to focus on just one thing. She opted to contact Logan who would just love a visit from her.

:Hey:

: Kid?:

:Yeap:

:You’re getting better…. Chuck behind this?:

:Nope Ory: she said smiling at the sudden since of happiness she got from him.

:Uh oh gotta go: She said breaking contact

“How was that?” She asked turning to face the radiant woman who was beaming.

“That was excellent child, I am proud of you,” She said making her blush.

“Awwwh Ory,” She said surprising them both as the nickname slipped out.

“Sorry… it just sounded right,” She said shrugging at her O shaped mouth.

“No it is all right, I think I like it,” she said patting her back.


******

“Wie geht es Ihnen? “ (How are you) Kurt asked grabbing her arm lightly before blushing and taking a step back.

“Besser danke,” she replied smiling as she gently patted his hand. ( Better, thank you)

“ I was vondering if you’d like to take a walk with me,” he said shyly looking down as they heard snickers off in the distance.

“You do not have to if you don’t wish to,” he said stumbling over his words, clearly agitated by the scoffing.

“ I think that’s a lovely Ideal Kurt I would love to,” She said smiling as she sent the boy who had snorted a lil present.

“Goodness, you should be more careful,” She said smiling as his chair toppled over and the laughter and mummers switched to him.

“Sie tun diesen Himmel?” He asked chuckling at her innocent smile. ( Did you do that sky?)

“ You should not let them get away with treating you like that,” She said angered for her new friend.

“ Do not anger yourself over it, I am used to these things.”

“But you shouldn’t be,” Sky said stamping her foot angrily as she locked gazes with his yellow eyes.

“ Nein it is them I pity, if they can only see with their eyes,” He said smiling as she shook her head, in disagreement and they continued their stroll.

“Kurt, I just realized I do not know what it is you can do exactly.” She said turning towards him with a bemused smile.

“Kurt?” She asked as he suddenly disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

“ Up here Himmel,” He said making her laugh as he swung on a tree limb upside down.

“How in the hell?” She asked shocked when he once again disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

“Here, now,” he said his eyes dancing with mirth.

“You teleporter you,” She said laughing as she gave him a playful shove.

“No freaking fair, you get a cool power,” She said as they continued their walk.

“And yours are?”

“More of a burden than a blessing I’m afraid,” She said smiling up at him.

“ Can you do more than move things?”

:Yes: She said smiling at his shocked look when he heard her voice his mind.

: I can control water as well:

: This is a very intimate way of talking ja?:

:Yes, which is why I do it with very few people… its like they stay with me almost .. the feel of them in my head: she said before switching to talk aloud.

“Your life has not been easy nein?”

“Have any of ours?” She asked chuckling before she stumbled no an unseen root.

“Nice catch!” She said surprised to find his tail firmly wrapped around her waist.

“ I wondered if you could move things with it but I was afraid to ask,” She said smiling as she stroked is, surprised it was so soft.

“How old are you Himmel?” He asked suddenly making her glance at him oddly.

“Seventeen, why?”

“ Just wondering,” He said feeling guilty for the more than friendly thoughts that had ran through his mind when she had explored his tail.

“How old are you Kurt?”

“Twenty- five.”

“You sure don’t look it,” She said making him smile.

“Thank you ,” He said laughing at her mischievous grin.





You must login () to review.