Charles Xavier sat at the head of the large conference table in the staff lounge waiting for all the instructors to take their seats. The Fall Semester would begin in two weeks and this was the traditional first staff meeting of the new year.

“It looks like everyone is here,” he began, “I would like to begin by welcoming Logan to the teaching staff, he will be teaching self-defense this year.” He waited while everyone clapped, then he continued. “Jean, again will be teaching the life sciences, Scott will teach political science and economics, Remy will teach French, Hank will be teaching mathematics, Ororo will be teaching history and English, and I will be teaching physical sciences.” He paused, realizing Ororo was not at the table, as did everyone else.

“Where is Ororo, has anyone seen her?” Charles asked everyone.

They all shook their heads. Charles furrowed his brow as he tried to contact her mind to call her down and found he couldn’t detect her. That was not unusual as Ororo, like Logan could be impossible to contact unless she opened herself up to it. Her mind was very controlled because of her great power.

“I can’t reach her,” he finally said, “Can someone go up and get her?” He asked with a sigh.

“I’ll go,” Logan offered, as everyone relaxed and started talking amongst themselves. The meeting would not continue until Logan came back with Ororo.

Logan hurried up the stairs, taking them two at a time, then ran down the hallway to the attic stairs at the end. He slowed his approach, looking around, hesitantly, he had never been to her room before. It was very quiet, her door was closed at the top of stairway and he sniffed the air and knocked softly. He could smell the very faint odors of sandalwood and jasmine, but he could hear nothing. “Ro?” He called out with one hand on the doorknob and the other ready to knock again. Still no answer.

He decided to peek in, though he already knew she wasn’t there, and from the smell, hadn’t been for some time. He stepped into her room and looked around the room quite surprised to find he felt a quiet peace settling over him. Sheer white curtains were hanging over her large windows. Her ceiling and walls were painted almost the same soft blue as the sky outside. Ororo's simple white down comforter, the large fluffy white pillows and some smaller ones, was sheer simplicity. The bed had an understated white bed skirt, the night stands were simple white tables that matched the bed frame of her bed. It was so soothing to his senses. He was reluctant to leave the serenity Ororo had made for herself.

Logan turned to go just as something caught his eye, it was an envelope, leaning against the mirror on her dresser. He picked it up, noticing the dust that had settled on it, as well as the surface of the dresser. She hadn’t been here for a long time. There was no addressee on the front of the envelope, it was blank and unsealed. After just a moments hesitation he turned it over and pulled out the folded letter.

“She’s not here, Chuck.” Logan said as he came back into the staff room. “She left this.” He handed Charles the letter he found.

“She’s gone? That can’t be, I’m sure just saw her a couple of days ago, if she was going to leave she would have said something.” Jean said turning to Scott, “When did you see her last?” she asked him.

Logan thought back to when it was the last time he had seen her. The date on the letter couldn’t be right, could it? He’d been back a couple of weeks and couldn’t remember actually seeing her at all. He had been avoiding her, true, but how could he not realize she was not present in the house. His senses were more attuned than that. He had caught her scent at times, didn't he? He was supposed to be more aware of her, especially after… He shook his head, “You should read the letter, Chuck.” He said.

Charles cleared his throat, trying to choke back the sorrow he felt.

“It is dated June 17th.” He began.

“That can’t be right,” Jean interjected, “That was two and a half months ago, right after we broke for summer recess.” She said with a sniff.

“Let me just read it,” Charles began again.

“To Everyone,

I will be forever grateful for the time you invested in my education and making me part of the x-men. It is with sadness, however, that I must leave, I have come to understand that having a mission and living in a house full of people like myself is not life sustaining. I need companionship, friendship, and to just be wanted for me, not just for my abilities. Over the last few years I have become invisible and the loneliness has become unbearable. I don’t need to explain further. I already know that you probably found this note because I didn’t show up for the fall staff meeting, which means I have been gone for over two months and no one even noticed. That is all the explanation I need give. I know you all will continue the fight and I wish you all well.

Ororo.”

Charles folded the letter and put it carefully back into the envelope.

Jean found her voice first, “I don’t understand, why didn’t she come to me, we were friends.”

“You didn’t even notice she was gone, none of us did,” Logan snorted in disgust, stomping out of of the room.





You must login () to review.