"STORM!" he cried as he ran over to her stilled form.

Lying amongst the smoldering rubble that was once a sentinel was his wife. She was on her back, one arm up over her head and the other down by her waist. Kneeling down, he carefully slipped his arms underneath her back and pulled her towards his chest.

"Storm, please...don't leave me."

He sighed with relief as she groaned. She sounded like she was in pain, but a pained sound is better than no sound at all.

She raised a hand to her head and rubbed the back of it.

"I am...alright Logan."

He stroked her hair.

"Thought I lost ya for a second" he said as he pulled her to him and hugged her fiercely.

She returned his hug with the same ferocity. "No. You are stuck with me a little longer."

"Oh, you know it darlin" he said as he caressed her back.

Logan covered Ororo's body with his own when a new round of sentinels fired plasma blasts at them. They were lousy shots though and only managed to hit the area surrounding the pair, but it was still too close to comfort.

"We gotta get outta here. Can you walk darlin'?"

"I'm not sure..."

"I'll carry ya then" he said as he scooped her up into his arms and made a run for it.

The sentinels were hot on their heels, each plasma blast getting closer than the last.

"TARGET LOCKED!" the mechanical voice of the robotic menace boomed.

"Dammit!" Logan shouted.

This was gonna hurt, but at least he could shield Ororo and take most of the hit.

A whizzing sound suddenly filled the air and the distracted sentinel was hit by a glowing pink object.

Logan once again dropped down and covered Ororo's body with his own when the head of the sentinel suddenly exploded and rained down on them as nothing more than shrapnel and frayed wires. The body collapsed nearby, now useless without its brain.

"You okay darlin'?"

"Yes, I am fine my love."

"Hey Wolvie, Stormy! You okay!"

"Gumbo?" Logan said as he stood up, pulling his wife with him.

"You alright homme?" Gambit, in all his trench coat wearing glory, asked as he came running towards them, cards in hand.

"Yes brother we are fine. And do not call me that."

Remy smiled and gave a mock salute. "Yes Stormy."

Ororo rolled her eyes and was about to reprimand Gambit when she noticed her husband acting strangely.

"Wolverine?"

Logan's senses started going haywire.

"We won't be fine for long if we don't get out of here. Let's go!" he shouted as another robotic creature, similar to the one Logan fought before, and another sentinel headed towards them.

"Whatcha' mean run? We can take 'em" Remy said as he prepared to dive into action.

"Not right now we can't Gumbo. Storm's hurt!" Logan said as he grabbed the younger man by the collar.

"I am fine Logan. We must defend ourselves" Storm said as her eyes blazed white and she called upon her winds to carry her skyward.

"She look fine to me homme. Real fine."

Logan shook Gambit by his collar. "Watch it Gumbo" he said as he let Remy go, popped his claws and ran to join the battle.

Storm flew through the air and gracefully dodged the lasers and other weaponry the heartless machines were throwing at her. She somersaulted and loop-de-looped out of the way, while firing off her own brand of weaponry: Lightning.

The already dark sky darkened even further when she raised her hands above her head and commanded the clouds to answer their mistress' call. The clouds collided and crashed into one another, forming one enormous mass. All the while thunder boomed and lightning flashed.

With the slightest flick of her hand, the lightning obeyed an unspoken call to do Storm's bidding. It angrily struck at the Sentinel, taking it apart piece by piece. She smirked as the once mighty robot became nothing more than a bunch of useless, disassembled parts.

She then looked towards the other machine, the one that Gambit and Wolverine were attempting to take down.

Wolverine was straight to the point with his method: hack and slash until there's nothing left. Gambit was a bit more graceful in his approach and a lot more of a showoff too. Twisting and twirling in the air, while charging and flinging cards from his deck at the monster.

Storm had been so busy watching them that she did not see the machine's twin lurking below and out of her line of vision. Floating in the air with a feeling a triumph in her heart, Storm was suddenly hit by a red laser. She let out a startled cry, but was knocked
unconscious within seconds of being hit. Without the ability to call on her winds to hold her aloft, Storm fell towards the earth at a dangerously rapid speed.

"STORM!"

"STORMY!"

Taking advantage of the distraction, the machine fired two plasma blasts at the men before it, sending them flying and crashing a few feet away.

Remy, like his sister, had been knocked unconscious. Logan on the other hand was merely stunned.

"Storm..." he groaned as he helplessly watched her tumble through the air with no safety net. He tried to gather enough strength to get up and help, but was still too stunned to do so. While he did not lose consciousness, he lost the battle of keeping his eyes open.

Storm was getting closer and closer to the ground with each passing moment. A crash landing and her death were clearly imminent, or at least they would have been, had it not been for the quick reflexes and catching ability of her dear friend Henry McCoy A.K.A. Beast.

"I've got you my dear" he said as he caught and cradled her in his arms while still managing to land gracefully on his feet. He then hopped leaps and bounds across the battlefield to get his friend some much needed medical attention.

Logan groaned and sat up while rubbing his head. He jumped when a puff of black and blue smoke suddenly appeared next to him, his features etched in concern.

"Are you alright Mein Freund?"

"Not yet" Logan said as he popped his claws once more "but I will be."

"Hold on Wolverine. We should---"

"Not a chance elf. I'm gonna handle this my way. Why don't you check on Gumbo since you want to help so badly?"

Nightcrawler sighed as he watched his stubbornly stupid friend run head on into another battle with the machine. A small groan caught his attention and 'bamfed' a few feet over to where Gambit lay.

"Do not worry Gambit. I have you" Nightcrawler stated as he gathered the young man in his arms and disappeared in a puff of dark smoke.

Logan, going into full berserker rage, ripped that robot to pieces like it had been nothing more than a child's toy model. Wolverine stood amongst the rubble breathing heavily. Suddenly, the whine of a robotic mechanism caught his attention. He quickly turned around and discovered that it was the same robot that had taken his wife down.

His wife?!

He frantically looked around for Storm, but could not find neither hide nor hair of her. He howled at the sky and took on a fighting stance, ready to take this robot down like he did it's twin.

"Yer lucky ya ain't human you robotic bastard. Or else I swear I'd make you suffer for what you did to my wife!" he yelled as he charged at the waiting machine.

It fired blast after blast of plasma shots at the charging man, but he managed to dodge them all. He jumped high into the air and landed on a platform-like area that contained the main core of the robot.

Wolverine sliced at the mainframe. This robot was slightly different from the ones he fought before. The metal was a little bit tougher to get through, but not impossible. The stronger armor wouldn't deter him from sending this thing to the big junkyard in the sky.

This robot had another feature that it did not share with its fellow robots. A medium sized compartment slid open and what looked to be a miniature canon slid out a little. The weapon began to warm up and the mouth of the canon began to blink with seemingly unbridled power.

Logan, so caught up in his rage did not notice the canon until it was too late. The canon fired an enormous plasma blast, that resonated throughout the entire area, right into his midsection, sending him flying towards the ground a few feet away with a resounding thud.

The robot took one step towards the fallen man, but stopped when Nightcrawler 'bamfed' into it's line of sight. The robot fired, but the blue mutant merely popped up on the platform where Logan had been only moments before. The machine prepared to fire up its canon again, but Nightcrawler popped inside of the mainframe and pulled a grenade from his belt. Pulling
the pin, he dropped it and 'bamfed' back outside and far away before it went off.

The machine exploded. Its large pieces flying all over the place.

Nightcrawler smiled in triumph. That is until he saw his fallen friend...and the extremely large mechanical leg that was crashing toward him at that very moment.

Logan had heard the sounds of the battlefield, but was trying to allow his body to heal. That was one hell of a blast he suffered. He was no where near ready to fight again, though he'd never admit it, but he couldn't do anything until he was healed.

He'd heard another explosion and was relived to know, thanks to his sensitive hearing, that Nightcrawler had destroyed the robot. He only wished that he had been able to save his wife.....and that that robotic leg weren't coming toward him at that very moment.

"This is really gonna hurt...." Logan managed to groan before everything went black.

**********************************

"LOGAN!"

Ororo awoke in a cold sweat. She looked around her room and sighed.

"What on earth was that? Logan and I---and nearly everyone else were fighting sentinels. Wave after wave of sentinels....I---"

'Oh Goddess! Logan!' she thought as she jumped out bed and headed towards her door.

She stopped short of grabbing her doorknob and walked back towards her bed to sit down. She ran her hands over her face and took a deep soothing breath. She was still a little damp from sweating in her sleep and also felt a little overheated, so she summoned a light breeze of warm air to circulate throughout her room.

She stood up and let the air surround her nude body like a blanket. She soon felt refreshed and believed that she could think a little more clearly. And what she thought about made her giggle.

'I can't believe I nearly ran down to Logan's room like this' she thought while gesturing to her nude body. 'I mean, I know that he's seen me naked before, but if he had woken up to me being nude and standing over him---Goddess! He would have gotten to wrong idea about me and my intentions--not that he would have gone for me anyway....I am not Jean.'

Ororo leaned back onto her bed in a lying position.

"That dream was so strange. I can't believe how vivid it was---and Logan---he died...in my dream----."

Ororo took another deep breath.

"He died in my dream. It was just a dream...and dreams are not real..." she finished.

She bit her bottom lip.

"I should check to be sure though...." she stated as she slipped into her silk robe and padded down the stairs to the hallway below and towards Logan's room.


*****************************

"Oh Goddess, where could he be?" Ororo asked aloud to no one in particular as she paced around her room.

She had gone to Logan's room with the intention of checking on her longtime friend, but panic gripped her heart when she found his room empty and in shambles. His blankets and sheets were all along the floor; his lamp lay in the corner of the room cracked, but not broken and many other items were strewn about causing disarray in the normally tidy room.

Ororo had calmed herself and made her way back to her loft.

"Should I wake the professor?----Oh no, he's not here. What about Jean? I could call her.---Or maybe I'm overreacting--"

She took a deep breath and placed a hand to her forehead.

"Yes, that's it. I'm overreacting."

It was not unusual for Logan to disappear for a time and then show up again and act as if he had never left, and as for his room being so messy, it wasn't the first time he'd had a fit over something and taken it out on the objects in his room, especially if he and Scott had
had an altercation.

But still....

"Oh Goddess, I need to get out of here" she whispered as she flew out of her attic window.

She floated on her generated breezes until she spotted her greenhouse. She gently touched down onto the cool grass and walked into her sanctuary. She hugged herself as she took in the scents of jasmines, tulips, lilies and the like.

The moonlight shone through the glass of the greenhouse giving her plants a bit of an eerie glow. Anyone else might have turned the lights on, but not Ororo. She loved to bask in the beauty of mother nature.

"Didn't think you'd be up this late."

Ororo shrieked and placed her hand over her heart.

"Sorry darlin'. Didn't mean to scare ya. Guess I've been doin' that a lot lately."

She couldn't see him, but could tell by his tone that he was smiling, or at least smirking.

"Logan? What are you doing here?" as she looked around, hoping to pinpoint his whereabouts.

"Behind ya darlin'" he said as he placed a hand on her shoulder.

Ororo jumped again.

"Little skittish are we 'Ro?"

She couldn't see it, but she knew that smirk was there again.

"Well, if you'd stop sneaking up on me..."

"So what are ya doin' up so late?"

"I could ask you the same thing."

"I asked ya first."

It was Ororo's turn to smirk. She wondered if he knew how childish he sounded.

"Well?"

"Let's go outside Logan...for a walk."

************************************

"I couldn't sleep. So I went for a walk and ended up at yer greenhouse. It's seems to be one of the few places I can get some thinking done. I coulda gone to the lake, but I didn't really feel like walking all the way over there."

'I didn't want to be too far away from the house. In case something happened to you' he finished in his mind.

"Hmmm--I had the same idea. I could not sleep either. I had a bad feeling, so I went to your room--"

"You went to my room wearin' that little number?" he asked referring to her sheer, thin silk robe that closed at the waist, leaving the rest of the fabric to part in both a plunging neckline and a high split in the middle.

Ororo looked down at herself and pulled the top of her robe close together suddenly feeling shy.

Logan purposely leered not only for his benefit, but also because it seemed to get a rise out of Ororo. She seemed a little bashful and if it weren't so dark out, he could have sworn that she was blushing.

"Um--well, I thought I would check on you, but you weren't in your room---"

"I wish I had been though----look at those legs" he hooted as he reached for them, trying to cop a feel.

"Logan!" Ororo half-screamed half-laughed while dodging his hands.

"Come on darlin', just one feel. Just one" as he chased after her.

"Logan, I'm serious!" she claimed as she ran from him laughing all the while.

"So am I darlin'" he hollered as he picked up speed.

The two ran around like children. Dodging and almost catching. Laughing and teasing each other.

********************************

Ororo was now alone, at least for the time being. Logan was not visible at the moment but she knew that he was there. He was a great hunter after all. He was simply waiting for her to make a mistake.

She didn't plan on making one.

Ororo summoned the winds to blow throught the trees, spreading the various scents of flowers, pollen and whatever other scent nature had to offer. This seemed to keep Logan confused for a little while, but she knew full well that he loved challenges.

She had also decided to use her winds to carry her off the ground to mask her movements. There were way too many scraps of wood that would have given her away had she walked on them.

Ororo was so caught up in plotting her next move that she didn't see the dark figure jumping from a tree right towards her.

She let out a low 'oof' as she and Logan landed on the forest floor. Logan had tackled her in mid air and turned so that his body took most of the impact. He then quickly turned them over and he was know on top of Ororo.

"Do I get my feel now?"

Ororo looked into his eyes, blushed and then looked away.

"Logan...let me up..."

He grinned and did as she asked.

"Thank you..."

The two of them settled into a comfortable silence. They turned around and noticed that their little game had led them to the lake. Ororo wrapped her hands around herself, not because she was cold, but to keep herself calm.

Logan watched her with a bit of a critical eye. He wondered what could have her so worked up all of a sudden. He could smell the worry and nervousness coming off her in waves.

"You okay 'Ro?"

"I--yes, I'm fine."

"'Ro"

"I'm fine Logan..."

"No ya ain't. I can smell it on ya. You're upset about something. Now what is it?"

"Logan please I-- I was just worried about you. I went to your room to check on you and you weren't there. And your room was trashed...I thought that something had happened to you----right under our noses."

Logan felt that there was more to it than that, but knew not to push her. Hell, he wasn't exactly the most forthcoming when it came to his problems either.

"Darlin'" he started as he placed a hand on her shoulder. "I'm fine. You can see that...and if you promise to come to my room wearin' that then I’ll promise to stay in my room all night from now on."

Ororo felt the laughter bubbling up in her chest. She opened her mouth to say something but a high gasp came out instead. Logan had reached down, ran his hand up one of her exposed legs from her ankle to her thigh and then hightailed it back to the mansion.

"Logan!" she yelled as his chuckling echoed through the forest.





You must login () to review.