Disclaimer: I do not own X-men. X-men are owned by Marvel. I’m simply using them for fanfic.





”Now, I want you all to read pages 55-75 of “The Lover” and be prepared to discuss those pages in class tomorrow as well as the answers to the questions I have written on the board.”

A few of the students groaned, but made note of their assignment anyway.

“Also, do not forget that your reports on “The Princess de Cleves” are due on Friday. Class dismissed.”

The students packed up their things and left the classroom. After the last student left, Ororo Munroe stood up from her desk to erase her lesson from the chalkboard. As she started to erase the last few words off the board, she was seized with a yawn and the eraser slipped from her hand and brushed against her clothing before landing on the floor in a small flurry of chalk dust.

Ororo sucked her teeth and wiped the chalk dust from her light blue blouse and black slacks. She then bent down to retrieve the eraser and continued cleaning up the chalkboard. Once she finished, Ororo sat at her desk to catch up on correcting her students work.

She was in the middle of reading and trying to decipher a long and muddled answer on Jubilee’s paper when she yawned again. She put the paper down on her desk, rubbed her eyes and yawned once more.
Ororo placed her hand under chin and continued looking of Jubilee’s paper, but her mind began to wander.

‘I wish I could have gotten more sleep last night----but Logan woke me up----I hope he is alright.---He said that he was fine, but he was acting so strangely….It was so unlike him. Maybe----‘

“Ms. Munroe?”

Ororo snapped out of her thoughts and looked up to find Jubilee standing in the doorway.

“Yes, what is it child?”

Jubilee crinkled her nose in slight annoyance and Ororo remembered that she didn’t like to be called a child.

“Um, I was kinda hopin’ that you could help me with my homework” she started as she entered the classroom fully. “As you probably already saw, I totally bombed on last nights assignment” she finished while tugging on the sleeve of her ever-present yellow jacket.

Ororo looked down at Jubilee’s paper and noticed the many red marks and notes she’d made----and she wasn’t even done marking it yet.

“Of course, come sit down so we can get started.”

“All right! Thanks teach. I really need the help” Jubilee said as she shrugged out of her jacket, revealing a red short sleeved shirt, and placed it on the back of her chair. She sat down, pulled her books out of her bookbag and a pen from the pocket of her well-worn blue jeans.

“Now, which part of the book or assignment are you having problems with?” Ororo asked as she tucked a strand of hair, that fell from her loose ponytail, behind her ear.

“Um…” Jubilee started as she scuffed her sneakers on the floor. “All of it?”

Ororo pulled out her copy of the same book and sighed. Looks like they’d be here for a while.

In the Garage

“I swear I am gonna get this thing fixed if it’s the last thing I ever do” he grunted to no one in particular about the car in front of him.
It was one of the Charles Xavier’s many cars. This one was one of those black, fancy Lincoln town cars. Not one he’d drive himself, but a nice car nonetheless. In great condition for it’s age. The outside anyway. The engine, which was giving Logan an ulcer and a migraine at the same time, was another story.

Scott had given up on the car a long time ago and had warned Logan of the trouble he went through with it, but the shorter man didn’t listen. The challenge of making a seemingly useless car run again---not to mention the thought of being able to do something the boy scout couldn’t do----was too good an opportunity to pass up. He wiped his greasy hands on his already dirty jeans, grabbed a wrench and went back to work.

He had already stripped the engine of its rusted, beat up and broken down parts. Now he was rebuilding and replacing the engine piece by piece. It would take a while, but the look on Scott’s face when he got it up and running again would be worth it.

‘Maybe ‘Ro will drive it. She’s a classy broad---‘

Logan stopped wrenching and blinked.

Where the hell did that thought come from?

He shook his head, smirked and then nearly laughed out loud.

‘Haven’t called her a broad in years. If she heard me say that she’d kill me.’

He sighed.

‘Well, now that I’m on the subject…..what the hell was that dream about? Me and ‘Ro fighting sentinels. No different than usual, but the world---the time---was different. The world felt so dark…so unforgiving and harsh. She’s fine though. I’m fine and so is the world for that matter. We’re all okay---I mean, as okay as we can be. Maybe I’m making too much of it.’

Logan then sat down on the bumper of the engine and pulled the bottom of his white wife beater up and wiped the sweat from his brow..

‘Maybe I’m not. I mean, what if it’s a premonition or something. ‘Ro and I were fighting sentinels and then she got hurt. I don’t even know what happened next. Dammit, it was just a dream----why the hell is it bothering me so much?!’

Logan threw his wrench down in frustration and didn’t flinch when it hit the ground with a loud ‘clang’.

“I need a beer.”

In Another Part of the Mansion

“Neither a borrower, nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry,
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man. “

“Yes, yes. How true it is….” He began before he was interrupted by a knock on the door.

“Yes?”

“Professor?”

It was Scott.

“May we come in?”

“Of course.”

Scott, followed by Jean and Logan, entered Professor Xavier’s study. Scott and Jean each sat in the two chairs in front of their mentor’s desk. Logan leaned against the wall to the right of Jean and folded his arms across his chest.

“Is there something troubling you?”

“No Professor, not really. We just wanted to talk to you about tomorrow night” said Jean.

“Tomorrow night?”

“Yes” she continued “I know that Scott and I said that we’d be here to help out with the danger room and the children, but tomorrow is our anniversary.”

Xavier furrowed his brow, but then nodded in understanding.

Scott then began to speak.

“I know it sounds silly, but we’ve all had our hands so full lately with running the school and keeping the world save from magneto and his group lately that we nearly forgot about it.

Logan snorted.

Scott rolled his eyes, though no one but Jean, seemed to be able to tell.

“Anyway, I can’t help Ororo put new fighting programs into the Danger Room system-----“

“---And I can’t watch the children tomorrow evening. I hope you understand….” Jean trailed off as she smoothed out imaginary wrinkles on her green dress.

“Of course I understand. I would never keep you from celebrating.”

“Unless it were an emergency o’ course” said Logan.

Scott rolled his eyes again.

Xavier ignored the both of them.

“Don’t worry. I’m sure we’ll find someone to keep an eye on the children. As for the danger room however, I’m not sure if we have someone to help Ororo. By the way, where is she?”

“She’s in her classroom tutoring Jubilee. I told her about the meeting and that I would fill her in later” replied Jean.

“Okay then. Who could help Ororo?”

“What about Hank?” asked Scott.

“He’s visiting his parents.”

“Oh yeah. Well, what about you Professor?”

“I won’t be here either. There’s a conference down in the city that I must attend.”

“Well, what about---“

“I’ll do it.”

Scott, Jean and Charles all looked at Logan.

“What?”

“Ya heard me One-Eye. I said I’ll do it. I’ll help ‘Ro.”

“You?!”

“Yeah me. Problem?”

“As a matter of fact----“

“That’s a great idea Logan” Jean said as she cut her lover off. “It’s a pretty big job and we wouldn’t want to leave Ororo all alone to do it.”

“Jean are you----“

“Yes, I’m sure darling. Besides, it’s either that or no anniversary.”

Faced with that option, Scott sat back in his chair, adjusted his glasses and stopped trying to argue.

“Okay, now that that’s all settled I guess we’re done” said Jean. “Thank you for your time professor.”

“You’re always welcome Jean. You know that.”

Jean smiled at Charles before making her exit with Scott.

“Goodbye sir.”

“Later Chuck.”

Charles shook his head, smiled and went back to his reading.


“So, even though Marguerite says that she’s not in love with the man from Chinon, she really is?”

“Yes.”

“All because they’re from different social classes?”

“Yes, pretty much. They both love each other and want to be together but know that it could never be. Their different social classes being one of the few reasons why.”

“Oh okay, I get it now.”

“Excellent. Now, what do you say we call it a day for now?”

“Sure teach. I understand enough to get the homework done---- correctly----this time.”

“Good. Come to me if you need more help okay?”

“Alright. Later teach” Jubilee said as she packed up her things and left the room.

Ororo gathered her papers and books into her arms and made her way to the door.

After locking her classroom door, she slowly walked up the stairs while trying to juggle the mountain of papers in her arms.

As she walked down the hallway that led to her attic loft, her mind began to wander back to Logan----and his strange behavior from the night before.

‘I wonder….’

“Hey ‘Ro.”

Ororo let out an “oh” of surprise and dropped all of her things on the carpeted hallway.

“Sorry darlin’. Didn’t mean to scare ya.”

Ororo kneeled down, with Logan doing the same, and started picking up her things.

“Must you always lurk around here like some sort of predator?” Ororo joked.

Logan bared his teeth like an animal, but then smirked.

“It’s one of the many things I do best.”

“That’s true.”

“Yup. Anyway darlin’ I’m glad I ran into you.”

Ororo perked up slightly.

“You are?”

“Yeah, you missed the meeting today----I know, you were tutoring the kid” he continued when she was about to explain herself, “Jean told us----Anyway, tomorrow’s Scooter and Jeanie’s anniversary----“

“Oh, Goddess. I forgot all about that.”

“They nearly did too. Anyway, Jean can’t watch the rugrats and Scott can’t help ya program the Danger Room.”

Ororo frowned as she and Logan gathered the remaining papers up and headed towards her room. The programming would be a big job. She was hoping to get it done as soon as possible and then spend a little time in her room catching up on her reading, relaxing…or something.

“Oh well, they need to celebrate. I can do it by myself.”

“You won’t have to. I’m gonna help ya.”

Ororo stared at Logan like he had grown another head.

“You? You’re going to help me?”

“Yup. Problem?”

“No---I just didn’t think-----usually you go out riding on your motorcycle or something like that. I never thought you’d stay and help me with the programs. You usually make the most of your time off---in your own special way of course” she finished as she and Logan placed the papers on her desk.

“You know I’m always willin’ to help ya darlin’.”

“I know, but that’s usually during battle. Not computer programming.”

“Are you saying you don’t want me to help?”

“No. I’m just giving you one last chance to back out while you still can. It’s going to be a lot of work---we may even have to test them physically---and I don’t tolerate quitters or complainers.”

“I know that ‘Ro and I’m none of the above.”

“Good. You are stuck with me then.”

“Oh, You know it darlin’” he chuckled as he turned and headed for the door “I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Ororo wasn’t sure if she heard him right, but chose not to question him.

“Goodnight Logan.”

“Goodnight ‘Ro.”

TBC…





You must login () to review.