Chapter 2

I hadn’t even made it in before I got the call and was put on a new case. All I knew was that a body had been found by the docks, which won’t unusual, so I didn’t understand why Harada had said it took priority over all the other cases I was barely working. I arrived on the scene which was overflowing with police from three different precincts and this put me on edge as to what I was gonna see. Shit like this didn’t occur unless the victim was someone important, a senator’s kid or possibly a celebrity, then everybody wanted to come out a catch a peek, never mind it won’t their jurisdiction and they were fucking over our crime scene. When I finally got across the tape, I could tell by the other officers faces and demeanor there was something bad with a hint of evil lurking about, and when I saw a couple of them hunched over and spilling their breakfast in the street, it was obvious that it was also something gory.

“Fuck me, you’re up early.” A voice spoke out and I turned to see the smile of Officer Bobby Drake, ‘The Rookie’ or fresh fish, as I liked to call him. The guy came from a long line of police officers, and actually believed that he could and would make a difference, determined to serve and protect, fucker thinks he’s some kind of superhero. I give him six months on the beat before the job loses the allure, and he’s either taking bribes to turn the other way, or making some crack whore suck him off to stay out of jail. “Well your new partner made it here first, boy did you luck out too, got yourself a legend of sort or so I hear.”

“Yeah,” I say unimpressed as I fished through my pockets for a match to light the cigarette already dangling from my lips. “And what do you call this legend, and where can I find’m?” I questioned, finally giving up and tossing the unused cigarette on the wet ground.

“Detective Munroe, over there with the body.” He nodded and I followed his gaze, and headed over to meet my new partner. “Hope you skipped breakfast.” Drake called after me, as I kept moving. The body was swamping with CSI and the coroner officials making it hard as hell to determine which was Munroe, but that thought flew from my head when my eyes fell to the small body, just lying on the wet street. Just when I didn’t think I could lose more faith in God or humanity…Fuck.

“It’s a hard thing to understand isn’t it,” A soft female voice spoke out and I turned to see a very beautiful woman with a harden expression on her face. I sized her up a brief second; she stood at about 5’10”, with a slim frame yet voluptuous, curvy in all the right places. I wasn’t sure which stood out the most about her, her height, her long platinum blonde hair that seemed to go well with her cinnamon complexion, or the bright blue eyes, that I could tell were hers and not falsies, she was a true Nubian beauty. When I felt her returning my gaze I quickly turned my attention back to the body and spoke.

“Not really, not in this fucked up city.” I answered truthfully, for one sees a lot in a place often referred to as the ‘hell of hell’.

“Yes, but I do not think one ever gets use to…this.” She said with a sigh. “No matter how many times you see a similar scene.”

“Naw, and if they do its definitely time to retire.” I reply as I moved back a bit to stand beside Munroe and out of the way of the investigators, taking snapshots and tagging everything around the body. “Howlett, by the way.” I throw out and I see her arch her brows in seeming interest.

“Detective James Logan Howlett?” She said causing me to bunch my brows.

“Jimmy,” I corrected her, the only person who can get away with calling me by my full name, was Sister Katherine, and then only because I was twelve and she carried around a yard stick, which she had no problem smacking you with.

“Well, nice to finally meet you Jimmy, I’m Detective Ororo Munroe, but please call me Rory.” She greeted with a smile and outstretched hand, and I just looked from one to the other, waiting for the punch line.

“Munroe?” I repeated still waiting for this scene now playing in slow mode to catch up with my ears.

“Yes, your new partner.” She answered and then quickly turned her attention to the Coroner, who was bagging the body. “Hey Nat, can you tell us anything?” She asked moving to Dr. Nathaniel Essex, the city’s coroner.

“Right now, yeah it’s a female approximately six, seven, and she’s been severely mutilated, anything else I won’t know til I do an autopsy, you know the routine.” He said and Munroe nodded and looked down at the ground as if in deep thought.

“Well would you mind if we sit in?” She asked and I looked at her as if she were crazy, and she had to be if she thought I was gonna sit and watch while this poor kid got butcher more than she already had. She must have seen the sour look on my face for she threw me a smirk. “Don’t tell me you’ve got a weak stomach Jimmy, it’s ok I’ll hold your hand if you want.” She said giggling, trying to bait and challenge me, and doing a fine job of both. Oh yeah this was gonna be the shortest partnership I’d have to date, if I have anything to do with it.





You must login () to review.