Chapter 3

After finally being coaxed with a promise of a month’s worth of laundry service, Munroe and I followed Dr. Essex and sat in on the autopsy. Much to my relief we had to watch from a viewing area, for Essex didn’t want us contaminating any possible evidence that may still be on the body. That sat fine with me, but Munroe looked pissed, wasn’t sure if it was because she’s got a thing for seeing gory shit up close and personal or if it was because she would have to pay for my laundry now for nothing. The Coroner’s assistance prepped the body; laid it out on the autopsy table, which was just a slated tray with raised edges, for drainage and to keep blood and fluids from being spilt onto the floor. The body was then measure and photographed cloth and naked, and then closely examined for any abnormalities on the skin.

The internal examination was then conducted, with a Y-shaped incision made by cutting from shoulder to shoulder, across the breasts and down from the lower sternum to the pubic area. After the ribcage was removed with a saw, Essex went about removing organs and fluids from just about everything, which the assist took to the lab to be tested and examined closer. All during the exam Essex spoke into a recorder he’d pick up every so often, but after he moved to the genitalia exam he finally turned his attention to us, and his face took a sudden paleness, which told me this was some shit he didn’t see often, even in his profession.

“Jesus,” He spoke out and we could hear him clearly through the speakers in the room we stood in. He moved off to a nearby counter and leaned against it, and for a second I thought he was gonna pass out. After taking a few deep breaths he moved back to the body. “The genitalia is very bruised and swollen and the vaginal and anal cavities both have foreign objects in them.” At this he grabbed some prongs from the nearby table and moved back to the body to remove the objects, he pulled them out one by one, and held them up a moment before he placed them on the table.

“Motherfucker,” I grumbled as I looked to Munroe who stood and watched with a seeming coolness, but the way she clinched of her fists and jaws told me she was just as outraged, as I was, possibly more.

“And yes, looking at the burns down here, I’d say the cigars were lit when they were shoved in her.” Essex answered the obvious question.

“Is that a bottle?” Munroe asked of one of the several objects pulled out, as I stood silent, and battled a sudden rage at what had happened to this poor kid and a newfound hatred for God for having allowed it to happen.

“Yes,” Essex confirmed. “Smells like some form of alcohol, this poor kid must have been in agony.” Essex said with a sad sigh. “All the swelling and bruising, I’d say she was fisted.”

“Fisted?” I repeated as I frowned in confusion.

“Yeah,” Essex spoke as he lifted his fist in the air. “Fisted.” He then moved back to the body and took vaginal and anal swabs, and I turned to leave, not caring if Munroe followed or not, I just had to get out of there. I didn’t want nor need to see anymore, and to my surprise Munroe followed me out, guess she’d had her fill as well. We walked out silently to the parking lot, we paused and both leaned against the car. I pulled out a smoke, lit it and took a deep pull, held it in for a second, and then slowly blew it out.

“So,” Munroe spoke out as she reached over and pulled the cigarette from my fingers, and placed it to her lips where she took a brief drag and then toss it to the ground. “Where do we go from here?” She asked as she looked directly at me now.

“Straight to the source,” I answered but didn’t look at her, didn’t even really care that she just wasted one of my ‘Boro’s. “Blue,” I said and then moved to get in the car. Munroe moved around and got in the passenger side.

“And what’s a Blue?”

“A pimp, who specializes in children.” I replied and got a stunned look from Munroe and I could almost read her thoughts. “Darlin its one thing knowing something and another thing proving it, and most the kids he puts out there are willing participates, who don’t wanna talk to us, so in my book they don’t want help.”

“How could you think that, maybe they’re scared, maybe they think there’s no other way for them, but don’t ever think it’s something they want to be doing.” Munroe yelled out which caused me to look at her, as she then turned and looked out the window. Seemed I’d hit a nerve.

~~~~

With the traffic it took long than I had expected to get downtown and to the subway. Munroe continued to follow me in silence as we pushed past the patrons coming and going, and it wasn’t until we stopped at my destination did she arch a curious brow and finally spoke.

“I thought you said we were going to Mr. Blue’s office, this is a bathroom.” She said as she looked at me with a hint of laughter on her lips. I only smirk in return before shoving the bathroom door open and entering. She paused a second before entering after me, and into a full house.

“Get Out,” I growled at the three men at the urinals, and they hurriedly obliged until all that was left were Munroe and I, and the soft cursing and cries that could be heard from one of the closed stalls. I moved to the stall and opened it, Munroe gasped at the scene we witnessed, though I was not at all surprised. In the stall were Blue and some boy who didn’t look to be more than thirteen. The boy was bent over and braced against the far wall, while Blue fucked him in the ass, so into his task that he ignored the boy’s cries and I don’t even think he noticed my presence, not until I grabbed him by the hair, and yanked him off the kid and out of the stall onto the floor. I then focused on the kid, who stared at me with frightened tear filled eyes as he scrabbled to pull up his pants, my angry eyes softened a bit when I saw the blood and knew that he hadn’t been much of a willing player. I figured the kid was a runaway, and by the look of him had finally gotten so hungry he decided to make a quick buck, just with the wrong person. Blue would have had his fun with the kid and then beat him up a bit to put fear in him, and then put him to work right then and there, right out of the very stall we stood in. “Munroe.” I called out and she moved forward. “It’s alright kid, go with her and we’ll get ya to a place, get ya cleaned up and some food in ya.” He didn’t move simply stared from me to Munroe.

“Its ok sweetie, come with me.” Munroe spoke softly and convincingly for the kid moved past me and to Munroe, who took him out of the bathroom, and I then turned back to Blue, who still sat on the floor, but had pulled up his pants. When he noticed my eyes on him he attempted to stand, but I kicked at his knee, which caused him to crumble back down.

“Fuck Howlett!” He roared in part anger and part pain.

“Yer a sick fucker Blue, ya know that dontcha?” I spoke as I reached into my pocket and pulled out my leather gloves and then pulled them on my hands, all the while Blue watched my hands nervously.

“Hey that kid approached me man.” Blue said as he looked wildly about the small bathroom for a possible escape route and when he found none he stared longingly at the door.

“And what about the little girl, did she approach you too?” I asked him and for a brief moment his eyes filled with panic and in that moment I knew this piece of shit had sent that little girl to whatever torture she endured and his had been the hands to topple the dominos that ended in her death.

“What little girl?” He asked with a cocky smile and I just had to hit him and I did, as blood shot from his mouth and out on my shoe, which I lifted to wipe against his fur coat.

“Don’t fuck with me Blue I know ya had something to do with selling a little girl, about seven, Asian, tortured and now dead. Ya fucked up got messy this time, didn’t clean up after yer self. Now I want to know who ya sold her to.”

“Fuck you Howlettya got nothing on me, and I aint tellin you nothing so you can kiss my black ass. Arrest me and my lawyer will have me out within the hour and have charges up on your for police brutality.” He said with a bloodied mouth and he was right and I knew it and he knew I knew it, if I had had any plans on taking him in at all, which I hadn’t.

“I aint takin ya in Blue,” I said calmly as I looked down at his expression and could see he didn’t know what to make of this. “I’m just gonna stomp tha shit outta you til you tell me what I want to know.”

“I told ya Howlett I aint telling ya a goddamn thing, now I might tell yer partner, that’s some very sweet ass there, big improvement over yer last one,” Blue taunted and I could feel myself lose it a bit, but I fought to keep my control. “Heard they had to have a closed casket, poor fucker took one to the face huh?” He chuckled and I lost my fight and began to pound and stomp on Blue, now there’d be another closed casket.

~~~~

I hurried back out to the car where Munroe sat with the kid in the back hoovering a couple of hotdogs they must have gotten from the vender on the corner. I started up the car and peeled out, not saying a word, and after a couple of blocks Munroe turned to me.

“So did Blue give you anything?”

“Naw,” I replied short and sweet. “And I don’t think he ever will.” I added this truth as I stared straight ahead and continued to drive on, and for the remainder of the trip in silence.





You must login () to review.