Hours Later, back at the Precinct:

“There’s been another murder,” Captain Harada said from the doorway of his office and all eyes looked up at him. “Summers you and Worthington take this one.”

“Jesus, not another kid.” I hear Summers grumble and He pretty much captured the thoughts in all our heads. I eyed him a second longer, enviously for he was married to Red, whom I was sure was the only woman for me. Summers, or Slim as he’s also called, he and I have never gotten close over the years, never really got to know each other. He’s never done a damn thing to me except met Jean first and married her, besides that he was a damn good detective, too good always making sure the I’s were dotted and the T’s crossed, A true ass kisser who wasn’t even aware that he was one.

“Nope, its our old buddy Blue,” The Captain replied and my eyes instantly shot to Munroe’s, whose instantly shot to the Captain’s and then slowly to where I sat at my desk right across from hers. When she locked eyes with me I could she her clamp her mouth shut, so tight her jaws seemed to twitch. ‘Ata girl, Rory, just keep that pretty mouth shut’, I thought to myself and prayed I conveyed it through my eyes. “Guess he tried to pimp the wrong person and they stomped him a new asshole.”

“We’re actually wasting manpower for that piece of shit?” Worthington asked even as he stood from his chair and began putting on his coat. Warren Worthington III had been on the force for twelve years though he looked fresh out of the academy. He came from ‘old’ money which he explained meant money passed down from generation to generation made off the backs of others, and he tried hard as hell to hide that fact from people. Even going so far as to donated his entire inheritance to charities, dumb fuck. He wasn’t the type of guy I’d hang out with, invite over or share deep shit with, but I didn’t mind working with him cause I knew he had my back in any situation and never ever questioned my tactics, just gave me backup, and for me that’s an ideal partner.

“Jimmy,” Harada called out capturing my attention again and I turned and threw him a questioning look over my shoulder. “I want you and Munroe to head over to 12, there should be file waiting there for you of cases in the past eight months; unsolved mutilation/murders of children. I’m willing to bet at least one of them fits ours to the tee.”

“And I aint had supper yet,” I mumbled as I stood up throwing a glance at Munroe as she did the same, I took note of the fact that she still had her mouth clamped shut. We walked out in silence until we got into the car. “So ya wanna grab something on the way, best we eat before we go through those files, some of that shit will make you lose your appetite.” I asked casually as she sat with her arms folded across her chest while she stared out the window. After a seconds pause she turned to me to give what I thought would be an answer to my question.

“I suppose I should thank you,” Munroe stated and I made no attempt to try to find the meaning in what she was saying. “I mean at least you waited until I had left the room before you killed Blue.”

“Now wait a minute darlin, who the fuck said I killed Blue? Did ya see me kill him. No ya didn’t,” I questioned and answered not giving her an opportunity to reply. “So ya don’t know what yer talking about and ya’d best keep yer fuckin mouth shut.”

“Or what, you’ll kill me too?” She asked leaning in my face a bit, which made me take note of two things, one she had bigger balls then most guys I know to pop off in my face like that, and two she was a very beautiful woman, which made my mind wander on why the hell she decided to become a cop in the first place. “I didn’t sign on for this shit Jimmy, I had heard rumors about this Precinct but I didn’t believe it but I guess it was all true; the bribes, stealing, narcs, and murders.”

“Hey I aint no Narc, and if it aint mine I don’t touch it, and I aint never taken a bribe in my life, so don’t come at me with that Ms. Righteous.” I nearly growl out at her and I started up the car and moved out.

“Ok, and what about murders, you’ve never murdered anyone?” She asked looking at me with a cocky expression almost gloating at me, probably thinking she’s catch me up in something.

“I’m a cop darlin, comes with that territory, aint you ever murdered someone in the line of duty?”

“No, I’ve shot and killed in self defense and for the saftey of others, but I have never committed murder.”

“Oh so you think that makes a difference?” I asked her and now I’m gloating.

“It does.” She answered.

“You believe in God?” I throw at her and she bunches her brow in confusion to my question and so I repeat it for her. “Well, do you believe in God?”

“Yes of course I do,”

“And you think it makes a difference to him why you kill, whether it be cold-blooded or in self defense? From what I recall of the Bible it states that Thou shalt not kill, and I didn’t see the small print that said, but it’s ok if it’s in self-defense. So its all the same darlin.” She stared at me for a moment but said nothing, I could tell she was trying to think of a way to make my words wrong but was failing in the task, so she sighed heavily and turned her head to stare out the window once more.

“Did you kill Blue Jimmy?” She asked plainly and with such sincerity I told her what she really wanted to know.

“No darlin, I didn’t kill him I thought about it, really wanted to but it’s not my case.” I lied.





You must login () to review.