Here it was going on 2:30 am and Munroe and I were still at the 12th precinct going through the files. The pictures that accompanied the folders were enough to turn an iron stomach sour, but Munroe didn’t seem to be fazed, I could tell that what she saw upset her, but more than that it angered her, and anger was great motivation. I personally found revenge to be the best motivation, but anger was good too.

“I think we should take a break.” Munroe suggested as she pushed her chair back from the table and then rubbed her eyes. “All these reports are starting to tell the same story.”

“Yeah, and so far none fits the profile of our case.” I said as I raised my arms above my head and rolled my neck, filling the room with the sound of my popping joints.

“Well I wouldn’t go that far, some had similar mutilations.” Munroe said and I had to shake my head at her in disagreement.

“Naw, darlin they really don’t.” She arched her brow at me and I could tell it was her way of telling me to explain my theory, not something I generally did with anyone, but what the hell I’d give it a shot. “Don’t get me wrong all these cases show that these kids died in a terrible way and that the fuckers who did these things, are twisted and deserve ten times worse. But look at these pictures,” I said as I tossed her the one I had just been looking at. “That little girl had her head and fingers chopped off, and this one,” I toss another one I had already read through. “She was stabbed 87 times. Now with that first one the mutilation was a cover up, without the head and or finger we can’t use dental impressions and fingerprints to identify the body, which is going to make it virtually impossible to find the killer, and that one.” I nodded to the picture Munroe was holding. “That one was about anger, hatred, resentment maybe, what Red would classify as a crime of passion, he was out of control. Neither fits our guy, for him it aint about trying to hide or anger, he’s cool and in complete control. In fact I’m beginning to think he has no real reason for doing it other than simply because he can…as crazy as that sounds.”

“He’s detached.”

“Ok what the fuck does that mean?”

“He has no emotional attachments, like you said he’s not doing it for any particular reason, at least not the classical reasons like, sexual gratification, anger, fear of being caught, rage. It’s hard to place our guy in the ‘normal’ textbook categories of a killer. That being said, where do we go from here? How do you profile someone who doesn’t fit any profile? What kind of person kills just because?”

“David Kelly” I said, Munroe’s little speech reminded me of another case of murder and mutilation that came across my desk a couple of years back.

“Who?”

“It was a case I had a few years ago, two little girls found in a man made pond in Albany. They’d been tortured, mutilated, and then dumped. Just like our boy now, the guy who did it didn’t fit the typical profiles, there didn’t seem to be a motive and the only thing the girls had in common were their age and that they were at the same dumpsite. The cases went unsolved for nearly a year, until a routine traffic stop bust it all open. A patrolman stopped a car that was speeding turns out the driver was Senator Kelly’s teenage son. He had a little girl in the car with him, but had told the officer it was his cousin or some shit like that, and the patrolman didn’t question it, didn’t even give the prick a ticket, and just let him go. A couple of weeks later there was another little girl found floating in the same pond, after she was identified and her picture was posted on our evidence board, that patrolman remember her. She was the same little girl riding with the Senator’s son. We brought him in for questioning and he admitted not only to killing her but the other two little girls’ as well. The sick bastard was cocky with it all, boasting about it, convinced that he had amnesty, not knowing that only applied to foreign ambassadors and their families. He did it because he thought even if he got caught he was going to get off.”

“So, maybe who we’re looking for is someone with the same ideas.” Munroe said with a slight smile and I could see I had impressed her.

“Maybe someone affiliated with a foreign embassy, or even a political refugee, but seeing how these murders just started I’d say he’s new to the area, but not new to the game. What he did to that little girl, I’ve no doubt he’s done it before somewhere else.” Munroe nodded her head in agreement.

“So what’s the next move?” She asked, now wide eyed and fully awake, not even a hint of the exhaustion she was showing just moments before.

“Get a list of all the ambassadors and political refugees with asylum that we have here in town. Shouldn’t be a very long list.”

~~~~

“Gotdamn, we got aliens from every fucking place in the world.” I say in frustration as we sat going through the new files, which were several boxes filled with folders. “Why the hell are they all coming here, aren’t there other places in the US they could infest.”

“What, you have a problem with foreigners Jimmy?” Munroe asked and I could see that disapproving look in her eyes, I noticed she had that look a lot around me, not that I gave a shit, never did when it came to what other thought of me.

“I’m just proud ta be an American, and I think this would be a better place if America stayed pure, and kept all the foreigners out.”

“Hmm, so you think we should give all the land and control back to the Native Americans, since they’re the only ‘pure’ Americans here?” She said with a cocky look on her face and there wasn’t a damn thing I could say…uppity bitch.





You must login () to review.