She had known that it was a bad idea to get into the fancy car, alone. That was the first rule of the streets she had been told, ‘Never, ever get into a car, especially not alone.’ But the smell of the burger in the paper bag with the greasy bottom, which sat on the car seat, had made her lose all reason. Her hunger at gotten the better of her, and she got into the fancy car. She hadn’t protested one bit not even after she had finished the burger, and with a full belly she had seemed to relax a bit. She grew even more at ease as the fancy car pulled in front of a mansion. Maybe these were rich people looking for a kid to take in as their own, she thought. So, she continued being compliant and she didn’t protest as the driver took her hand and walked her to the side of the house and not up the front door steps. She didn’t ask any questions as they walked down into the cellar like structure, up and down different corridors within the dark underground maze. And when the journey ended in a small room with no windows that seemed to only house a chair in the middle of the room with a huge spotlight over top, which illuminated only the chair and shadowed everything else in the room. Now the nervousness flutter in her belly as the driver released her hand and moved back through the only doorway to the small room, closing it behind him. When she heard the click of the lock, only then did the panic hit.

“Don’t be afraid little one.” A male voice called out from the shadows and she twirled around trying to peer into the darkness to find the man. “What is your name?”

“A…Amanda.” She answered truthfully.

“And how old are you Amanda?” The voice continued interrogating.

“Eight.”

“Such a young age to be wondering the streets all alone, where are your parents?”

“I don’t know.” She whispered this reply.

“I can help you find them,” The man said and Amanda’s eye lit up.

“You can?” She asked her heart suddenly filling with hope.

“Yes, but first you have to do something for me.”

“O…ok.”

“That’s a good girl, I could tell you’d be good from the second I saw you. Now, take off your dress.” She froze as she hugged herself tightly, suddenly understanding why there was that rule of never getting into cars with strangers, alone. “Its ok, Amanda we have to get you cleaned up before you see your parents, you don’t want them to see you so messy do you?” She shook her head no, for she really didn’t want that. It had been a worry of hers since she had been abandoned on the streets, that if she did find her parents again that they wouldn’t recognize her behind all the dirt or that they wouldn’t want her if they ever saw her so filthy. Amanda slowly unbuttoned her dress. “That’s a good girl Amanda, such a sweet baby doll. I’m gonna take such good care of you, I promise.”




“Well it was a good idea.” Munroe said as we headed into our precinct, having spent our night going over file after file of possible suspects. “Get some rest and start fresh in the morning?”

“Munroe,” I said just as we reached our desks. “It is morning.” At my words her eyes widened a bit and then flew to the nearby clock on the wall.

“Goddess, it’s already 7.”

“Hey you two,” Captain Harada spoke as he walked by heading to his office. “Aren’t you two here a little early?” He asked turning as he got to the doorway of his office.

“Never clocked out Cap,” I say as I lean back in my chair and perched my feet up on my desk. “We thought we had a lead.”

“And?” Captain Harada said looking at Munroe.

“It was too many files to read through in one night, it’s going to take a little more time.”

“Well it’s gonna have to wait.” His words got our attention as we stared at him waiting for him to say the words. “There’s been another one, heard it on my way in. If you’re dead on your feet I can send Summers…”

“Fuck that, I’m fine.” I lied but wasn’t about to let Mr. boy scout fuck with my case.

“I’m ok too.” Munroe backed me up. “But is it ok if we make a pit stop for some coffee on the way?” She threw to me and I nodded, I could use a cup of Joe myself.

“Fine, but I want those reports first thing in the morning, I want you two to head straight home once you’ve cleared the scene, to get some rest.”

“Right,” I mumbled as we grabbed our coats and headed back out. I was pretty sure there was no way in hell I was gonna be able to sleep especially if this scene was anything like the last one.




Even with the pit stop it took us only ten minutes to make the scene, and we nearly got plowed over by an ambulance speeding away.

“What the fuck was that?” I spoke out to no one in particular but the officer closest to me replied.

“That’s the little girl, she was definitely left for dead, but she was still breathing when we arrived.”

“Then we should meet them at the hospital,” Munroe said as she reopened the car door.

“Naw, I think yous might want to stick around.”

“What the fuck for?” I asked and the officer pointed to the left of where we stood and we both looked to find a couple of officers surrounding a bum in cuffs. “Who’s that?”

“Our only suspect or witness, we found him inside the little girl.”

“He’s our perp?” Munroe asked as she stared at the man in disgust.

“We don’t know, she was very badly mutilated just like the others, I think this guy found her, saw she was easy picking and had a little fun before we caught him.” I must of blacked out for a second, don’t know if it was from the sudden rage inside of me or from lack of sleep, but once my mind focused again I found myself being restrained by Munroe and another officer, while we stood over the officer we had been speaking to, who laid on the ground cupping his nose as blood gushed between his fingers.

“Come on Jimmy lets go,” Munroe spoke gently as she pulled me away and back to our car.

“Where?” I asked as I rubbed my sore knuckles.

“I think we should go to the hospital first, and then we should head home to get some rest like the Captain said.”

“What, no fuckin way we got a suspect we need to interrogate him,” I nearly roared and fought the urge to clock Munroe in the face.

“With the way you’re acting right now I don’t think that’s going to get us anywhere, you’ll most likely beat that guy to death and we’ll never get anything from him. Granted Officer brown had little tact, but I think he’s right with what he said. That bum probably happened onto the scene after the girl had already been dumped. He probably thought he was raping a corpse; hell he’s probably so drunk he didn’t know what he was doing. So, lets go see the little girl, get some rest, which will give you time to calm the fuck down and allow him to sober up.”

“Fine, I hissed out through gritted teeth as I sped off. I knew she was right on all counts, but I would be damned if I ever told her that.





You must login () to review.