I knew from the moment he walked into the interrogation room, this guy was not our perp. I had been itching to be on the other side of the glass, but Captain Harada shot that ideal down, now I realize that was a good call. I would have beat the hell out of that guy, and Munroe had been right, this guy was so drunk off his ass he didn’t know what he was doing. But I still wanted to hurt him; because he was something tangible in this case that is besides the little girl who was fighting for her life. This bum didn’t know nothing and after spending another night in jail a night I’ll make sure he gets it as good as he gave that little girl he’ll be released.




“You want to talk about it?” Her voice broke through my train of thought and I stared up into her sparkling green eyes.

“Nope,” I answered.

“Then why are you here Jimmy?”

“Captain’s orders.” She released a heavy sigh.

“Ok then,”

“Jeannie, please I don’t want a talk I just want…”

“To sleep with me.” She said curtly and I’m not even shameful enough to attempt to deny it. “Jimmy, I’m married.”

“Yeah you keep saying that.” I said as I stood moving around the desk and then leaned against it, right at her side. I picked up a picture of her and the Boy Scout, which was proudly displayed on her desk.

“I can’t hurt Scott.”

“Yeah you keep saying that too.” I replied as I reached out and grasped a lock of her soft red hair, which she had curled today.

“Then why do you insist…” She began to ask but I cut her off.

“Because you haven’t said ‘no’, which leads me to believe you want to.” I said this as I moved closer to her, leaning into her personal space. “Do you want to Jeannie?” I spoke in a near whisper as I allowed my lips to graze her ear lobe. I feel her shiver and hear a slight moan leave her lips. “Come on Jeannie no one has to know, I’m not looking for anything long-term here I just want…”

“A fuck.” She finished, not the exact words I was gonna use, but it was right on point.

“I’ll make it good for you.”

“Get out,” She hissed out and as I leaned back to take in her face I can see she’s pissed. “Get the fuck out of my office, Detective Howlett.”

“What, what did I say?”

“I’m not some conquest, I won’t be your wham bam thank you ma’am.”

“Wait a minute you’re pissed because I just want ‘a’ fuck.” I asked with a chuckle. “Because there’ll never be roses and romantic dinner, just meeting in seedy places for a good romp. Jesus Jeannie, you’re married remember, and you keep saying how happy you are, so I figured whatever we did you didn’t want to get out. You’d want to keep on the down low” The darkening of her face told me I was hitting a nerve.

“I am married, Jimmy. Happily married which is why this will never happen, and also why I’m going to refer you to another Psychiatrist.”

“Oh give me a fucking break Princess, don’t act like you weren’t into it, like you don’t want it.”

“What I want is for you to leave, right now.” She said as she stood and moved around the desk to pull open her office door.

“Fine,” I spoke as I yanked up my coat and stalked through the door. “Frigid bitch,” I throw at her as I walked out.




“Hey, how did it go with the Doc?” Munroe greeted me as I seated myself at my desk.

“Don’t ask.” I mumbled.

“That good huh?” She added with a chuckle. “I was waiting on you, wanted to head over the hospital, the little girl’s awake.” Hot damn, finally a break.

“Well, let’s go.”




“You don’t like Hospitals I take it,” Munroe states as we enter the elevator.

“I hate hospitals, I can’t think of ever having a good experience at one, maybe the day I was born though my parents would probably disagree with that. Hospitals just remind be that there is no God.”

“Surely you do not believe that.” Munroe said and I think I’ve actually stunned her with my proclamation.

“Damn if I don’t, if there is a God he’s a sadistic bastard.”

“Jimmy, no need to blasphemous.” Munroe said as she hurried from the now open elevator doors.

“I’m blasphemous, no sweet cakes, that’s blasphemous,” I say as I point towards the glass where the little girl lay on the other side, bruised and battered. “That’s telling me that God doesn’t give a fuck.”

“Jimmy God has a reason for everything, even if we don’t understand it.” Munroe continued to defend.

“I don’t want to know his reasoning for that.” Again I point at the little girl. “He can keep that shit to himself, and you can keep your beliefs about him to yourself. And I’ll try to keep my loathing of him to a minimum, but I make no promises on it.” Munroe simply nodded her head and we silently entered the room, where a social worker stood holding the little girl’s hand. When she noticed us the social worker moved to meet us at the door, only to have the little girl grasp her hand more tightly and cry out a bit. The lady leaned down a bit and whispered to the girl and whatever she said calmed her enough that she released the woman’s hand, and allowed her to meet us at the door.

“Hello, I’m Raven Darkholme, I’m with child services.” She greeted with her hand extended and all I seemed to notice was her striking red hair. When I didn’t speak or move to shake her hand Munroe spoke.

“Hello I’m Detective Munroe, and this is my partner Detective Howlett. How is she?”

“Better than expected under the circumstances. There’s not an inch on her body that wasn’t battered, and that’s externally and internally.”

“Can she speak?”

“Yes, but only in a whisper and only for a short period at a time. I have told her that the police were coming to speak with her, to ask her some questions. But please make it brief and Detective Howlett I’ll have to ask that you not to speak. Her eyes are swollen shut so she can’t see you but she gets very agitated whenever she hears a male’s voice.” I only nodded my head, I hadn’t plan on saying anything anyway, and hell I didn’t know what to say.


“Amanda,” Ms. Darkholme called out as we approached the bed. And when the little girl turned towards the voice we got a good look at her swollen and broken face. When I see the look on Munroe’s face I had to gloat a bit, yeah where’s your God now? “Sweetie the police have come to ask you some questions, remember I told you they were coming?”

“Yes,” A tiny voice squeaked out and it seemed as if it caused her such pain to even form the simple word.

“Good, sweetheart, you are so brave,” Ms. Darkholme said as she gently stroked the girl’s stiff hair which was bloodied from the still seeping wound on her head. “This is Detective Munroe and she’s just going to ask you some questions, but if you don’t want to answer or you can’t remember you just say so ok?”

“Yes ma’am.” At this Ms. Darkholme nodded to Munroe.

“Hi Amanda, I’m detective Munroe but all my friends call me Rory, so I‘d like you to call me Rory, because I hope we can be friends. Would that be ok?

“Yes ma’am, I mean Rory.”

“Good, now sweetie I’m just going to ask you a few question and just like Ms. Darkholme said, if you don’t want to answer them you don’t have to. Amanda do you know the person who did this to you?”

“No,” She replied her voice trembling a bit, and I silently cursed the fact that we had to do this to her.

“Do you remember what he looked like, where you were?”

“It was dark, he said he would help me find my mommy and daddy. I shouldn’t have gotten in his car, I’m sorry.” She said as she softly cried.

“Shhh, no sweetie, don’t cry this is not your fault. You didn’t do anything wrong baby. He was a bad man and we’re going to get him, I promise you, ok?” Munroe’s words had a calming effect on the little girl and me as well. For a second I saw the hatred and the bloodlust, and knew when we caught this fucker and I put a bullet between his eyes Munroe would back up any story I fabricated.

“I thought he was a nice man, he had a nice car and he lived in a big house. Rich people are suppose to be nice right?” These words got us all excited as we all looked at each other.

“You say he had a nice car and a big house, like a rich person? Do you remember what the car looked like or the house?”

“His car had an angel on it, I saw it when we got to his house. He drove with an angel on his car so I thought he was a nice man and he was going to help me.” These words really effected Munroe who I could tell was fighting back the tears.

“Ok sweetie just one last question, do you remember anything else; about the man or his house?”

“The gate, there was a big gate and it had a crooked cross on it. Please don’t let the bad man hurt me anymore, I’ll be a good girl from now on, please Rory.” This broke Munroe and damn near broke me so I left the room, and Munroe followed a few minutes later. She found me leaning against a nearby wall. We walked in silence to the elevator and all the way until we got into the car.

“I want this guy Jimmy, I want him bad.”

“We’ll catch him,” I reassured her as I started up the car.

“No,” Munroe said as she looked me square in the eyes. “When we do catch him, ‘I’ want him.” All I could do was nod.




“Piotr!” The man yelled out from his bed as he nervously flipped through the newspaper. When a giant of a man entered the bedchamber the man in the bed looked towards him. “There’s nothing in the newspapers, and nothing on the television,” The man huffed out in frustration as he crumbled the newspaper and tossed on the floor. “There should be some news by now, you did leave it where I told you to?”

“Yes, Professor. Do not worry someone will find her soon.”





You must login () to review.