Amorous Tread

Chapter 2




Ororo and Logan’s eyes were looking at each other unflinchingly. They were both staring at one another so intensely and steadily, that if anyone were to see them at the moment, they would think they were statues.


Shit, Logan thought. He was surprised how Ororo automatically looked up at him. Did she know I was here the whole time? If so why didn’t she acknowledge my presence, earlier? All of sudden he felt like a little kid getting caught, for sneaking around to look at something naughty. But he recovered quickly, and a wolfish smile came to his lips.


“Nice performance, Darlin,” Logan complimented. Both their stares still solid on each other.


“Thank you,” Ororo answered. She got up off the floor swiftly and walked over to the stereo. Track two was already starting to play, but Ororo pressed the stop button and then the eject. She put the CD away back in its case and placed it back, beside the stereo. She had not expected an audience. Ororo didn’t necessarily know Logan was standing there watching her the whole time, but for some reason she did sense a presence. She didn’t pay much mind to it because at first she thought it was just her imagining herself back in Egypt where people watched and danced with her. But when she raised her head and saw Logan, she knew it was not her imagination.


Ororo turned back around trying to put all the furniture back in place, and saw that Logan was still standing by the doorway.


“I was not expecting an audience,” Ororo stated.


“ I wasn’t expecting a performance,” Logan stated back.


Ororo looked up at Logan quickly. Then went back to putting the furniture in place. Ororo was not necessarily upset about Logan witnessing her dancing abilities, but she was caught a little off guard. Ororo never really willingly showed a more carefree side to her to anyone in the mansion, not even Jean, and she was suppose to be her best friend. Ororo always tried to be in order. Partially because of her mutant gifts and partially because of the person she started to become over the years.


Logan watched as Ororo was trying to put everything back in place. He could tell Ororo wasn’t really upset with him for catching her in her performance. But he could tell that she seemed unnerved. He walked into the Rec room and started helping her put everything in place. Ororo looked up again, and gave a “Thank you”, and Logan replied a “No problem”. They fell into an easing silence, as they busied themselves with fixing the Rec room.


Logan started to stare at Ororo. Damn, he thought. She changed her whole aurora so quickly and easily. She looked so calmed, now. It was almost hard to believe that this was the same person who just finish did the most exotically wild thing he’s ever seen. But taking a better look at her, her hair still wild and messy framing her ebony face and her skin slightly shinny from perspiration. Oh yeah, this is still definitely the same woman, just in a different mode.


“Where’d ya learn to move like that, Roro?” Since Logan’s been in the mansion, he’s given almost everyone in the mansion a nickname. A habit of his, that they could all tell he’s had for years.


Ororo turned her head quickly and looked at him, caught a little off guard by the question, but she knew how to answer it. “In my old home,” she answered. She smiled softly, having fond memories of those times.


Logan could see she was reminiscing. Suddenly he wanted to know a little more about the weather “witch”. He knew the basics of her profile. Grew up in Africa, was praised as a goddess, and then recruited as an X-Men in her late teens. But he felt compelled to know a little more detail. Logan wasn’t really into being noisy and in other peoples business, but with Ororo, he almost couldn’t help himself.


“Well wherever ya learnt it, the guys around there must’ve had a hellva time watching. Didn’t know you had moves like that Ro. You outta do me the favor of givin me my own personal dance one day.” Logan tilted his head to the side, and gave her a wink.


Ororo thought she should be offended, but for some reason she couldn’t help but laugh a little. “I do not go around dancing for just anyone, Logan. I dance when I feel like it. When I want to,” she answered.


Logan shrugged. “Who knows Ro Darlin, maybe you’ll want to dance for me one day.” He gave her another wolfish grin.


She walked leisurely up to him keeping eye contact as she came closer, and when she reached him she looked him surely in his dark brown-gray eyes. “Maybe… Maybe not. Unlikely… But possible. Still unlikely though.” Then she brushed past him and walked to leave the Rec room.


“Have a lovely rest of the afternoon, Logan,” she said while walking out and around the corner, up the stairs to her attic room.



* * *



It was Sunday morning. Jean felt like eating out for breakfast, then spending the rest of the day shopping. So naturally she asked Ororo to tag along, and naturally Ororo complied. The two were sitting inside an IHOP. Jean putting a fork full of pancakes in her mouth as she continued to talk to Ororo.


“I’m telling you it was the most sweetest afternoon, Ororo. Sometimes Scott can be a little detached, but it’s at times like those that I just know he cares for me. And now we’re engaged!” she exclaimed happily and excitedly.


“I am very happy for you, dear Jean,” Ororo said, before putting a fork full of fried eggs in her mouth. No one would suspect that for a woman of Ororo’s size that she could eat a whole lot, when she was ready to. She order herself the Three For All Special, where she was indulging 3 pancakes, 3 eggs, and three side orders of bacon, sausage, and ham. Ororo was not a vegetarian but she limited herself from eating too much meat, only once in a while would she allow herself to consume as much meat as she so desired. Which happen to be right at this moment.


“Goodness Ororo are you sure you’ll finish all that?” Jean asked.


“Certainly,” Ororo answered.


“You’re so lucky! If I ate like the way you do sometimes, I would gain 20 pounds every two weeks, and I’m a little smaller than you! You eat and eat and eat and don’t gain a pound!”


“It is called metabolism, Jean,” Ororo plainly but jokingly said.


“I’ll never understand people like you. I swear you cease to amaze, Ororo,” Jean exclaimed.


“So I have realized as of lately,” Ororo said. Remembering yesterday’s events. Ororo was still surprised that Logan had witnessed her yesterday, and yet there was something a little thrilling about him witnessing it.


Jean looked suspiciously at Ororo. “I’ll question that statement later, but anyway Ororo you must do me the honor of being my maid of honor. You will, won’t you?” Jean asked hopefully.


“Of course Jean. I mean who ever, over time, has ever turned down that question? If there is such a person, I would like to meet them,” Ororo stated jokingly.


Jean laughed, “That’s true.”



* * *


Logan was in the living room sitting in one of the over sized chairs. Jubilee and Kitty were sitting on the floor in front of him, playing with Uno cards, and watching some action movie on Showtime.


Logan wasn’t really watching the T.V. He was just relaxing, finding it amusing how the Kitty Kat and Fire Cracker were contemplating whether if the color or number matched the last card, and if Kitty told Jubilee “Uno out” in time so that she would have to pick up two more cards.


Logan was still surprised, even after all these months how comfortable he’s gotten in this place, in such a short time. For once he felt like he didn’t always have to be watching his back. But he was still aware that danger could occur at anytime, he learned that first hand when the attack on the mansion happened.


Logan was also still a little surprised of catching Ro dancing, yesterday. Damn, she was so sexy, Logan thought. Strutting her stuff, moving around like a hushed vixen. Bouncing that round ass of hers every which way. Shit, Logan thought, that had to be my favorite part of the whole thing.


“Jubilee! I said ‘Uno out’, before you got the chance to say, ‘Uno’! So you better pick up those two cards!” Kitty yelled.


“Na, chill with that, Kitty! I won and you know it! Stop being a sore loser and lets start another game!” Jubilee yelled back.


“You rugrats need ta know how ta play cards better,” Logan chuckled.


“Oh be quiet, Wolvie!” Jubilee now yelled at Logan.


Logan got up, tousled both their hair and walked out of the living room. He had been growing closer to those two, at times they were like his shadow, almost always wanting to be where he is. He was giving them both personal self-defense training lessons and he took much pride in the two of them. Kinda funny how he almost thought them as daughters.


Logan turned the corner; he heard the front door opening. He looked to see who it was. One red head and one white. Jean and Ororo. So obvious, Logan thought. He walked towards them.


“Oh, hi Logan. How are you doing, today?” Jean asked. Both her and Ororo had their hands full of bags.


“Just fine, Jeannie. I see you gals have out done yerselves by buyin the whole mall,” Logan said, looking at all the bags.


“Don’t exaggerate, Logan,” Jean said. “Besides I did most of the shopping,” Jean said a little haughtily.


“So I figured,” Logan answered. He turned his attentions to Ororo. “What about you Roro? How are you doing today? Can’t say hello, too?” Logan asked looking her up and down.


“Hello Logan. And I am fine, as well,” Ororo answered. She and Logan continued to look at one another.


Jean sensed a shift in the atmosphere, something unfamiliar to her. She looked back and forth between the two, until Kitty and Jubilee came walking up to them.


“Hey Storm. Hey Jean,” Kitty and Jubilee greeted.


“Hello Jubilation. Hello Katherine,” Ororo greeted them back, as Jean nodded them a hello. “How have you two been this afternoon?” Ororo asked.


“We’ve been alright,” Kitty answered.


“Yeah, been hanging out with Wolvie all afternoon,” Jubilee replied.


“Is that so? Well I hope the big bad Wolverine, has been a caring babysitter,” Jean said, while starting to walk to the kitchen.


“Aren’t I always,” Logan said.


“Jubilee, Kitty can you please take some of these bags and carry it up stairs for us,” Ororo asked them, as Jean and Ororo handed them some bags.


“Sure,” both girls answered.


“Jean and I are going to fix lunch. Is there anything you girls would like?” Ororo asked.


“Oh yeah, can I have tuna fish sandwich,” Jubilee requested.


“And a turkey sandwich for me,” Kitty requested too.


“Will do girls. Come back when your done upstairs,” Jean told them. With that they went upstairs and Ororo and Jean set off to the kitchen with the groceries in hand, and Logan not far behind.


Logan was staring openly at Ororo’s rear while they were walking into the kitchen. He sat himself down on a stool by the center counter. Ororo started to make the lunch as Jean was unpacking the bags.


“Aren’t ya gonna make lunch, for me too, Darlin?” Logan addressed Ororo “The little kiddies aren’t the only ones with mouths ya know? I have one too,” Logan stated, feigning hurt.


Ororo and Jean looked at each other amused. Then Ororo looked at Logan.


“Yes, Logan I know you have a mouth. One that most of the time, does not have any thing relatively constructive to say, besides four letter words,” Ororo said, Jean blurted out laughing.


Logan narrowed his eyes at her. “Oh that’s clever Ro, real clever,” He said sarcastically.


Ororo laughed a little with Jean. “I am only joking Logan. What is that you want to eat? I’ll make it for you while I am at it,” Ororo asked.


“Let me have a ham, turkey, and pastrami sandwich. With cheese and mayonnaise. No lettuce or tomato. And could ya pass me a “ ” Logan was cut off when Ororo placed one of his beers in front of him. “Yeah thanks,” Logan popped the top off and started gulping it down.


After Ororo made Logan his sandwich, Jubilee and Kitty came back down for their lunches.


It was like a signal went out to almost everyone in the mansion. ‘Cause Scott, Kurt, Bobby, Rogue, Remy, even Xavier came down, to have lunch. Logan watched as Ororo took care of everyone else’s needs. How in even the simplest task of fixing food for others, how that showed what type of person she was. From the beginning he could tell that she was the mother hen of the mansion, always making sure that everyone was all right and everything was in order.


When finally everyone finished eating and left the kitchen, that’s when Ororo finally made herself something to eat. A simple tuna sandwich, like Jubilee had, and she poured out a glass of lemonade, for herself as well.


Logan was still on the stool he had been sitting on ever since he got into the kitchen. Just watching, as Ororo finally tended to herself. He wondered if everyone realized just how important Ororo was in the mansion. Probably not, to the full extent. Hell, as of recently he didn’t realize her more true character.


“Done tending to the flock?” Logan asked. It sounded more of statement than a question.


Ororo looked straight across to him where she now sat across the counter from him, “Yes I am done,” Ororo answered.


“Ya must get tired sometimes though, Darlin?” Logan questioned.


“Tired from what?” Ororo questioned back.


“From taking care of everyone else, before you do yerself,” Logan stated plainly, and looked her in her eyes penetratingly.


Ororo looked back at him with the same measure. “I love them. I care for them. It should not be a chore to take care of your loved ones. But to answer your question… yes it can be tiresome sometimes. But I find my balance,” Ororo answered.


“Yer balance, huh,” Logan continued to observe Ororo as she continued eating.


Balance.


What was her balance? Logan wondered. He saw no balance in one person doing so much for others, and then the person not getting the same care back. What would he know anyway, getting all berserker sometimes for no good reason that he could think of. He could hardly find his own balance. And he was only recently getting acquainted with the concept of “family”.


“Did I say something of interest?” Ororo suddenly asked, breaking Logan’s thoughts.


He didn’t even realize when Ororo finished eating, and now she stood by the sink washing the dishes.


“No Ro. Why ya ask?” Logan asked.


She turned around to look at him. “You looked deep in thought,” Ororo responded and then faced the sink again.


Logan grinned and got up off the stool. He strolled slowly up to her. He leaned his back against the counter that was attached to the sink, and leaned in closely to Ororo.


“Maybe the only thing I’m having deep thoughts about is not the answer I got, but the person who gave me the answer,” Logan said, with his face drawing dangerously close to Ororo’s. From this distance he got a good whiff of her scent.


Sandalwood. Wind. Cinnamon. Plants. Vanilla.


Oh, that’s the kinda scent you just wanna drown in, Logan thought.


“Well I am sure you would want to have your deep thoughts in privacy,” Ororo stated, as she pulled a sheet of paper towel, dried her hands and left the kitchen.


The woman knew how to make an exit, when she wanted to, Logan thought. Much like him. Knows when to tread on out, Logan smiled. I’d much rather see her tread in, but that might happen later, Logan thought with a little hope. Then walked out the kitchen shortly after.





You must login () to review.